What's In A Name?

I ran a search and couldn't find anything, so if this is a rehash topic, feel free to delete it. Anyway, I was just curious as to what some of the user name's on here mean, and if there are any particular stories and purposes behind the name. If you haven't figured it out mine is emajn (imagine) this, but there are a few like >EXO< and JsArcLight, that just don't put together for me.

For me, you put a space between the e and the s, make the first letters capital, and you have my actual name. Mike Szekely. Since that's boring, I'll explain that my Xbox Live Gamertag, Pharaohman, is one of the eight robot masters in Megaman 4.

JsARCLIGHT, pronounced Jay's Ark Lite, is a shortened version of Jay's Arclight. My first name is Jason. My co workers when I worked in San Antonio said I had a bad habit of sneaking up on them and suprising them (the seinfeld "sidle") in such a way that it casued them to jump, spill coffee, etc. One of them got to calling that my "Arclight strike" (Operation Arclight being the code name of B52 missions in Vietnam, from the movie Apocalypse Now when they see an Arclight strike in the distance and Lawrence Fishburn says "Charlie don't ever hear or see 'em coming... blast will suck the air outa your lungs man"). When it came time to give myself an online screen name through AOL almost a decade ago I typed in Jay's Arclight and it returned Jsarclight because of screen name character limits then. Tada... end of story.

My initials are "AH" and when I used to play arcade games back in the day, I put AHX for the score initials. The "X" being there just to fill up the last spot.

So when making a screen name, I picked Alpha from "YF-19 - Alpha One" (my favorite valk) from Macross Plus. The "H", like I said is my last name initial... and the "X" was just there from my gaming days. So... yeah, nothing special about mine either.

Mr. March is actually a two fold name.

First, I was once watching a science fiction show (now I forget which one) in which one character exclaims "Mr. April! Mr. May! MR. MARCH! Why don't you just say who you really are?". The character was refering to the code names and how silly they were.

Since I've always thought of internet handles as kinda silly and wondered why people rarely use their real names, the quote stuck and thus the name Mr. March was born!

Secondly, March is the month of my birth. So technically, I am Mr. March :)

"...."

376200[/snapback]

:lol:

Of course in my case, in Macross DYRL besides the Skull team there was also an Angel and Apollo team. When I started posting on the Macross newsgroup (ugh, have forgoten the acronym!) back in November 2000, I wanted to come up with a unique name. I saw that their was a number of people already going by Skull Leader, Roy Focker, et al. I started thinking of the other teams/squadrons from the TV series and movie. I almost went with Angel Leader, but in the end Apollo Leader just had a nice ring to it. A few weeks later, Shawn opened up the full blown forum here on Macross World and I caried over my alias to here. On even non-anime and non-Macross websites and forums I have continued to use my Apollo Leader alias. I use my Apollo Leader alias on Xbox Live, too. :)

Of course in late 2003, Saga/AM2's PS2 Macross game actually has a character who is the actual "Apollo Leader" for the DYRL portion of the game... I wonder if someone from AM2 hangs out on Macross World? :D

"...."

376200[/snapback]

Duke, why don't you tell us the story of how you went through about 4 or 5 names before you finally settled with Duke Togo? I can remember you going by Godzilla, Godmars, and I think you went by The Cat on the Macross newsgroup (AFM - anime.film.macross). :D

Edited by Apollo Leader

I just had no imagination... I was new to any internet forums and was quite surprised it wasn't used. Now that I think I should've chosen something a bit more original. :p

Btw, that's a cool character. Toku is the genre? I've watched only some kaiju, actually only Godzilla so far IIRC, but I've been interested in the 90's Gamera trilogy...

Duke, why don't you tell us the story of how you went through about 4 or 5 names before you finally settled with Duke Togo?  I can remember you going by Godzilla, Godmars, and I think you went by The Cat on the Macross newsgroup (AFM - anime.film.macross). :D

376227[/snapback]

Well, if I recall correctly, I started out on AFM as "GodMars". Its a name I have been using online since 1994. Then I switched it up, went to "The Cat" (the trolls on ASBNYY had forced this change). When I came to MW, I went back to my default GodMars. I eventually changed that, I think, to put some distance between by business on the web with my online name.

So after GodMars we had Captain Harlock and Godzilla. I don't remember which came first. I didnt' feel any real connection to either. It was then that I went with Duke Togo, aka Golgo 13. I had a fascination with the character ever since playing "Top Secret Episode" on the NES way back in the day. I use "Duke Togo" on every message board I post on, except for GameFAQs.

Now, there was a bit of a hiatus in there. Back on the original boards, there was a known secutiry flaw. As we all know, things are slow to get patched and updated in MW, and I found myself the target of a fellow member, who over several days messed with my user profile. I left at that point, and had my membership here removed.

Eventually, the board software was updated (changed, actually), and I came back. And here I be. "The Duke" persona isn't what it used to be, I tired of playing the part. Ya, I get into it every once in a while, but I'm pretty much just plain old me these days.

A little trip down memory lane...

post-1088-1141418579.jpg post-1088-1141418592.jpg post-1088-1141418598.jpg post-1088-1141418610.jpg

Edited by Duke Togo

Mine is a refernce back to my shadowy days as mercenary fighter pilot where I flew under the radio/tail code Knight 2 6. My other handle that I sometimes use, though not much anymore, SonOfStorm, comes from a my name. It is what happens when you translate my first and last name several times from their original languages to their litteral meanings. Actually it shoulde be Son Of The Storm, but I always drop the The because of length.

In the early days of internet on dial up it was cheaper to log in past 23:00

and log out before 07:00,... I was usually surfing 'till dawn

it became a habit and I was turning into a "Creature of the night"

In my personal life I was constantly tripping over the road to hell

(...paving it with good intentions)

So when trying to find an unused screenname (alredy almost impossible in 1996)

trying to find something I could "Identify" with

I came up with identifying myself with a "Misunderstood Nocturnal Animal"

Bat(0-9, a-z) was taken, if it was even possible to use a 3 letter screenname

any other variant as well (Thank god with all those Goth's today, I never

did succeed to register Vampirebat)

So, looking around in the dark, for ideas as pre/suffix to the 'bat'

with only the VCR as nightlight

...It's Dark

...What's the Time

...Night...? . ........... ..........Night!!!!

Hence: "Nightbat" was born

Mine began as a joke, really. Was in a moderately technical discussion, and I thought it'd be funny to use some sort of redneck hillbilly name, so I adopted "JimBob McQuade" as an alias.

For some reason I continued using it. Then dropped the McQuade, because it was too long. Then shortened it to JB, because I'm chronically lazy. That's become my standard pseudonym.

I pin a zero onto the end when I can't use JB, either because it's taken or there's a minimum name length.

I've always kept my hair fairly short since 1993.

On or abouts 1999, I got a new set of plastic, black-rimmed, eyeglasses.

I went out to The Plaza, my main watering hole back in Madison, and my friend, Adam, was completely drunk.

He saw me with my short hair, and new black-rimmed eyeglasses and tried to say:

"You look like the skinny Drew Carey!"

Albeit, being sloshed, he actually said:

"You look like the white Drew Carey!"

End of story.

Besides Macross and gaming, my other interest is politics in renaissance Italy.

Dante was one of the great Renaissance writers.

The first time I needed an online name a couple of years ago the Dante name was used so I added my year of birth.

Hence Dante74

For this name. Zentran for my love of the antagonist and dude just a random suffix.

My old name BrownyVF-1 or something like that also my love for the underdog but I had problems with it when I made it, I could log on as that account but couldn't post and couldn't get any emails from the admin.

i've always been something of a military history buff. "combined arms" is the doctrine of mixing multiple types of combat units to create a more flexible, lethal team. think of armored cavalry today. you have armor, infantry, and even strike helicopters working together on the battlefield. to me, the multirole capability of a valkyrie in the macross universe seemed to naturally fit into that framework. hit the enemy with an airstrike in fighter mode, then get up-close-and-personal in battroid mode.

At the time I was getting into the yamato 1/48 I saw the low visibility VF1 toy, and liked how it was trying to take a fictional mecha and give it a realistic look. (I'm also a big fan of the grayish color on valks especially the tv series gray flight suit roy wears and the dark tone of his valk. Grey with black works well)

At first I wanted to get the Roy vf1S but was beaten to it at this store I usually go to. I was forced to get the low visibility because it is the only one left and everyone was buying Roy's vf1s. (Missed by 15 minutes the clerk says) Given no option, I thought that maybe I was destined to own LV kinda like the way Ash Catchem got stuck with Pikachu in pokemon :D (because Pikachu is kinda 'rare' and 'mysterious' and a bit different to other pokemon for not wanting to stay in its ball, but it was the last one that dr oak had at the time in the show, similar to how the LV became the last valk left thanks to the nerdy collectors beating everyone else to things)

Before making an account I then became a forum lurker on macross world trying to get info on availabilty prices of valks and as a refugee from the robotech.com forums which is run like a nazi dictatorship which doesn't even let people talk about other toys apart from toynami. I thought the low vis was cool because the pilot had normal flight suit and was not even canon within the macross universe. So I imagine that maybe I could 'be' him, thus the 1:1 scale in my name. (I know sounds cheesy, but the pilot has no name and comes off as mysterious like he crossed into another world)

In order to come up with an account name I decided to name myself the 1:1 scale low visibility. But then that was too long, and it isn't a name of a 'thing' so it sounded silly.

Since I started out 'lurking' on the forums before and I thought low vis makes sense as a color for a fighter, I decided on "1/1 LowVis Lurker". (shortened from a longer name)

To reinforce the idea of 'low vis' I decided to take a mysterious character (to match what I thought of the pilot in the toy) from a fighting game called samurai spirits as my avatar. What better way than to choose a ninja? I changed it later to something more relevent to macross (and also because of the cull in animated avatars) since then and now have a macross II valk in hopes we get some toys of this made.

Kinda sounds like a superhero origin story only without any powers. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

To reinforce the idea of 'low vis' I decided to take a mysterious character (to match what I thought of the pilot in the toy) from a fighting game called samurai spirits as my avatar. What better way than to choose a ninja? I changed it later to something more relevent to macross (and also because of the cull in animated avatars) since then and now have a macross II valk in hopes we get some toys of this made.

*thinks*

Was Hanzo, right? I like Samurai Shodown, but I don't play it very often.

I don't really play the SS series much now, but I am a fan of the character design. (I think it is by the same guy who did the ninja scroll characters?)

I'm more of a street fighter fan. (there is a big rivalry between SNK Playore vs Capcom when it comes to 2d one-on-one fighters. I personally think that capcom still has the edge in terms of "encouraging diversity in playstyles to win" though, since not all characters rely so much on the same "fireball" techniques that you see in your typical SNK fighting game. (all stolen from dragon ball I would imagine)

I think maybe the pilot in the grey low vis is actually a ninja hehe. If you play an arcade game called Aerofighters one of the characters is actually a ninja so maybe they can make a super hero backstory for him.

But maybe they'll save that for the yamato stealth valk and in some kind of cheesy G Gundam theme make the character have DBZ style super moves.

edit:

JB0: Yeah it was "hanzo". He is the guy who disapears with a smoke bomb then attacks directly from offscreen aiming directly above the opponent with a flashy special move as a way to distract and confuse them. (he has a short range though)

There is another american ninja which is a body/pallete swap of hanzo with a different head that uses a dog.

here is the gif I had saved on hd for forum avatars:

post-2125-1141437940.gif

oh and one for humor (click to see it move):

post-2125-1141438289.gif

:D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker