Variable Fighter Star Wars X-Wing and TIE Fighter

I have occasionally heard someone ask 'What would a Star Wars X-Wing Fighter look like as a Variable Fighter?' Well, we shall soon find out. I have just recieved word that the producers of Transformers toys (Hasbro) and Star Wars toys have gotten together to create 'Star Wars Transformers'.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=8&itemid=7937

Part of me is like 'YES!!' Part of me is like 'NOO-OO-OOH!!!' Whatever the case, the do definitely look interesting. Each of the vehicles transforms into a Star Wars figure, rather than a robot (ie. Darth Vader is a TIE Fighter).

Of the 11 that will be available, they will include:

Darth Vader/TIE Fighter

Luke Skywalker/X-Wing

Obi-Wan Kenobi/Jedi Starfighter

General Grevious/Wheel Bike

Boba Fett/Slave I

They are available in January 2006.

Just looked at the pics and have to say those toys look increadibly lame.

Even at the height of my Star Wars fandom as a kid in the late 70s through early 80s when I wanted every Star Wars toy, I would never have considered buying those monstrosities.

The concept is just too silly.

Graham

Even at the height of my Star Wars fandom as a kid in the late 70s through early 80s when I wanted every Star Wars toy, I would never have considered buying those monstrosities.

Graham

335478[/snapback]

perhaps the concept is silly, but you have people who collect transformers only and people who collect star wars only. Not that bad an idea from a marketing stand point. You get two pools of collectors to buy one product now, lame as the toy are... oh, and Bobepatt will form the head.

Graham

335478[/snapback]

I think the concept is fine in a goofy sort of way, the problem is that Transformers suck. The robot forms of Transformers rarely, if never, look cool and are always about as poseable as a brick. If the idea had been given to some designers with some skills we might have got something interestings, but...

yeah but it's not the same as regular action fleet.....

damn hasbro :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

335582[/snapback]

Hasbro never made the original molds for Action Fleet anyway. They bought Galoob, who invented the whole line in the first place.

Did anyone else notice that the Darth Vader package had a minifig in it? Maybe these are actually robots with the characters piloting them... albeit horribly disfigured robots with lame heads.

The Jedi Starfighter one looks respectable...

Well, no idea is a crazy idea,

like no question is a stupid question.

No matter what it is, I just have 1 inquest

Who will buy them?

Transformers collectors or Star Wars Collectors?

Or is it a birth of a new line of fans?

Noel

335717[/snapback]

From what I see, mostly transformers fans. I am actually tempted, the vehicle designs are well done. The robot modes I admit do look better than most of armada and some of energon. Then again I am really tempted since they have pilots.....I dunno, I thought diaclone was cool too.

Well, no idea is a crazy idea,

like no question is a stupid question.

No matter what it is, I just have 1 inquest

Who will buy them?

Transformers collectors or Star Wars Collectors?

Or is it a birth of a new line of fans?

Noel

335717[/snapback]

From what I see, mostly transformers fans. I am actually tempted, the vehicle designs are well done. The robot modes I admit do look better than most of armada and some of energon. Then again I am really tempted since they have pilots.....I dunno, I thought diaclone was cool too.

335722[/snapback]

See...sucker born every minute. HAHA J/K dude. But just goes to show...there's apparently a market for everything.

I really hate the idea of the vehicles turning into their pilots, ya know? TIE Advanced transforming into Vader, X-Wing into a rebel pilot. Just goofy.

Not that goofy when compared to the Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters, and Pretenders lines.

Actually, my first thought WAS "Star Wars Pretenders!"

Too bad the 'bots look like ass. They don't look like the characters they're based on OR like 'bots inspired by the characters. They just look like half-assed toys that are expected to sell on name alone.

Hey, we all had a go-bot or 2 as kids (sadly, I thought they were sorta cool back then). But no self-respecting kid or collector would buy one of these star wars monstrosities. General Grievous is ok, if someone gave it to me ;) ...

Do You Remember Go-Bots!?

bwahahahahha! :D Kinda  reminds me of the cheap Go-bots faces... human like nerd faces :lol:

335595[/snapback]

Edited by ghostryder

Aside from the alligator road kill I drove by this morning on my way to work these ST-TF toys have got to be the nastiest collection of crap ever created. Toys have officially "jumped the shark" now. <_<

Edited by Zor Primus

Hey all the masters were cool! Aside pretenders.

If these things did not have pilots I probably would not like them

And there is worse out there....look at toy biz old transforming superheroes...like lizard into lizard...wolverine into a wolf....so horrible they made ANIMORPHS look good!

335729[/snapback]

I have no idea why I am recalling this now, but I am absolutely CERTAIN that they made transforming Animorphs action figures at least once.

EDIT: Found it. These things make the Star Wars 'formers look like pure gold.

Edited by Ed.Coli

Hey, we all had a go-bot or 2 as kids (sadly, I thought they were sorta cool back then). But no self-respecting kid or collector would buy one of these star wars monstrosities. General Grievous is ok, if someone gave it to me  ;) ...

Do You Remember Go-Bots!?

bwahahahahha! :D Kinda  reminds me of the cheap Go-bots faces... human like nerd faces :lol:

335595[/snapback]

335792[/snapback]

I used to have an assload of GoBots. Some of 'em were pretty awesome.

Wonder what ever happened to those? I know the VW broke after a very large amount of abuse, but that's the only one I can account for.

whoaa... I remember my friend had Psycho, Bug-bite, and Herr-Fiend! The only go-bots that could transform into gerwalk mode...

super go-bots... by Bandai

BugBiteBoxed1a.jpg

...Wonder what ever happened to those? I know the VW broke after a very large amount of abuse, but that's the only one I can account for

Edited by ghostryder

whoaa... I remember my friend had Psycho, Bug-bite, and Herr-Fiend! The only go-bots that could transform into gerwalk mode...

super go-bots... by Bandai

BugBiteBoxed1a.jpg

...Wonder what ever happened to those? I know the VW broke after a very large amount of abuse, but that's the only one I can account for

336138[/snapback]

Man, that pic brings back some memories.

I had the Porsche and Leader One, too.

And the semi, and a tank, and... I still have the space shuttle.

I honestly can't remember what all else I had.