Listen UP Marines

Never liked the show, but the one episode I watched completely from beginning to end over at my freind's house was really good. It was this alien ace pilot that was wasting the humans and had this little message in english written on the side of his ship that read "Abandon all hope". :)

Fox cancelled it after one season, so yes, it was good. It was about this group of marines that all joined up for various reasons, and conveniently, war breaks out. The aliens destroy a new human colony that infringes on their territory, so on and so forth. It was pretty dark, and there was alot more to the conflict than humans versus aliens, and previous human wars come into play. It also featured some pretty good CG effects for the time. Well worth it and about time in my opinion.

Fox cancelled it after one season, so yes, it was good.

Was that sarcastic? I'm not much of a TV person and never bothered to find out why they cancelled it.

The show was pretty cool. The marines could pilot fighters, fight on the ground as infantry, and do about almost anything. Its crazy! What was the squad called again? Wild Cards?

Edited by wolfx

Never liked the show, but the one episode I watched completely from beginning to end over at my freind's house was really good. It was this alien ace pilot that was wasting the humans and had this little message in english written on the side of his ship that read "Abandon all hope". :)

Yes, that alien was nicknamed "Chiggy Von Richtofen". That was a pair of good episodes.

The SHow rocked, unfortunately Fox politics killed it, I have a download of the whole series but it is of really poor quality. It is one of those shows that really didn't come into its own until about halfway through at which point each episode just kept getting better. The very beginning was filled with CLiche' and low budget work arounds, but quickly there after everyone got good military hair cuts and the writing took off, too bad it was cut down in its prime.

Fox cancelled it after one season, so yes, it was good. It was about this group of marines that all joined up for various reasons, and conveniently, war breaks out. The aliens destroy a new human colony that infringes on their territory, so on and so forth. It was pretty dark, and there was alot more to the conflict than humans versus aliens, and previous human wars come into play. It also featured some pretty good CG effects for the time. Well worth it and about time in my opinion.

Dude, is it me or does that sound almost exactly like the plot for Starship Troopers, the film version?

Dude, is it me or does that sound almost exactly like the plot for Starship Troopers, the film version?

nah, the series was much better than the Starship Troopers movie.

It was a space war, against aliens. Those were about the only simularites. Maybe more Wing Commander in the since that most of the fights were starfighter battles.

Why is it that if it's a good show not called the Simpsons, FOX has to kill it?

More great news. I'd like to add that one to my collection. Hopefully it's priced as low as Firefly (another one on my to-buy list).

The show was great. It also had battle strategies similar to the Marines in the Pacific Theater in WW2. I remember the episode where they left the planet the Wild Cards were on to go to the other planet the aliens were holding in which most of their forces were leaving to defend other areas. Basically they were leap frogging planet to planet to get to the homeworld. Towards the end of the series, it was getting better as they find out what the aliens look like. And then we find out why the war got started. I initially skipped the beginning because I thought it was stupid till I watched one episode an I was like damn why didnt I watched it earlier.

Yeah i remember this show too when they showed here in Denmark. It was prettyy good, thou pretty slow in the beginning but the series got much better as as the show progressed.

The last episode they aired in DK was the episode where on of the main charecters finds his long lost love and the Wild Card´s are transporting a bunch of rescued civilians via two transporters. Then they get attacked by Chigs and half of the Wild Cards are killed trying to defned the transports.

I forgot the name of the episode but it was a damm good one, had me screaming no all the way through. I wonder if that episode was the last one, it was a pretty open ending.

Was that the last episode before they cancelled it?

- Jin

Was that sarcastic? I'm not much of a TV person and never bothered to find out why they cancelled it.

The show was pretty cool. The marines could pilot fighters, fight on the ground as infantry, and do about almost anything. Its crazy! What was the squad called again? Wild Cards?

Actually, no, Fox just seems to cancel great shows before there time, like Futurama.

:D Awesome news....is it bad that most of my tv on dvd collection is cancelled shows? Firefly, Wonderfalls, Lone Gunman, Carnivale, The Job....

LOL This is making me think of a Family Guy episode where Peter stood there and listed a long list of shows Fox cancelled... Saying that if all those shows got off the air then Family Guy might have a chance to come back. LOL

Getting this DVD set.

:D Awesome news....is it bad that most of my tv on dvd collection is cancelled shows?  Firefly, Wonderfalls, Lone Gunman, Carnivale, The Job....

LOL This is making me think of a Family Guy episode where Peter stood there and listed a long list of shows Fox cancelled... Saying that if all those shows got off the air then Family Guy might have a chance to come back. LOL

Getting this DVD set.

I remember that ep. that was a long list. not sure to put a happy smiley or a sad smiley :huh:

Yeah i remember this show too when they showed here in Denmark. It was prettyy good, thou pretty slow in the beginning but the series got much better as as the show progressed.

The last episode they aired in DK was the episode where on of the main charecters finds his long lost love and the Wild Card´s are transporting a bunch of rescued civilians via two transporters. Then they get attacked by Chigs and half of the Wild Cards are killed trying to defned the transports.

I forgot the name of the episode but it was a damm good one, had me screaming no all the way through. I wonder if that episode was the last one, it was a pretty open ending.

Was that the last episode before they cancelled it?

- Jin

Yup that was the last episode, Never to be seen again.

Never liked the show, but the one episode I watched completely from beginning to end over at my freind's house was really good.  It was this alien ace pilot that was wasting the humans and had this little message in english written on the side of his ship that read "Abandon all hope". :)

Yes, that alien was nicknamed "Chiggy Von Richtofen". That was a pair of good episodes.

Well, one of my friends will probably pick up the set and I'll watch 'em again :)

The same Marines fight in space and on land.....o.k. :rolleyes:

Bootcamp must be a biotch. :o:ph34r:B))

I liked the show but I just could not get over the whimpy battle armor that they wore. Sure it's meant to be flexible for fighting (in space and on land :lol::lol: ) but they could have invested more money on them.

I was at a convention where they the entire cast and director were there. They were trying to get the fans to rise up and save the show before it got cancelled. What a shame it was not meant to be. Damn you FOX!!!!!!!!!!!

I always wondered why no other network picked it up. I mean there are a lot of REALLY TERRIBLE shows that get picked up by other networks all of the time. This was a great show, so the irony hurts even more.

Edited by MGREXX

In most sci-fi, space is sorta considered to be like our oceans. So, there are space "navies" and such in a lot of popular sci-fi franchises.

Our marines fight on land, sea, and air. So expanding that to space doesn't seem so odd to me.

H

In most sci-fi, space is sorta considered to be like our oceans. So, there are space "navies" and such in a lot of popular sci-fi franchises.

Our marines fight on land, sea, and air. So expanding that to space doesn't seem so odd to me.

H

Not the same Marines. ;)

They are broken down into MOS. That is my point.

Other than that, the series was believable.

The same Marines fight in space and on land.....o.k. 

Bootcamp must be a biotch.   

Hmmm, yes? :huh: Marines are marines first, and whatever their job is 2nd. With Marine aviation officers, I believe they go to TBS(The Basic School) to learn how to fight on the ground, and then they go into the pilot line. I may have the order wrong.

I liked the show but I just could not get over the whimpy battle armor that they wore. Sure it's meant to be flexible for fighting (in space and on land   ) but they could have invested more money on them.

But then how are they supposed to have desposable Brownie-like extras who die off by the dozen? It's the TIE Fighter philosophy. ;)

Edited by Wes

ummmmm.....no.

I know all about how a marine is a ground pounder first and that he goes to basic Infantry school first, regardless of his MOS or rank.

That, however is only in theory.

You can't do it all.....not even a Marine (shocker!!!)

Most combat MOS in the military are very demanding and take a long time to master. A jack of many trades, like the marines in SA&B, is just not realistic.

Then again, we are just talking about a sci-fi show.

H

I'm no military buff, but when you say "Our marines fight on land, sea, and air. So expanding that to space doesn't seem so odd to me." i'm sure it doesn't mean that their personnel are multi-tasking that pilots can be GIs and special operatives as well. You gotta be James Bond for that.....and investment on training them up would cost a bomb. :blink:

PS: Someone once told me it takes USD2million to train up a SEAL member.

I also never really liked the show or the Hammerhead design.

I agree it's pretty silly that they had the characters being fighter pilots one minute, then ground pounding grunts the next.

I'm pretty sure that it costs a lot more to train a fighter pilot than it does an infantryman.

Graham

I agree it's pretty silly that they had the characters being fighter pilots one minute, then ground pounding grunts the next.

I'm pretty sure that it costs a lot more to train a fighter pilot than it does an infantryman.

Exactly Graham.

As far as space marines are concerned, the jarheads from Aliens, are a great example. The Marine pilots bring the ground troops into the fight and THEY get the work done....wait, they didn't really get it done in that movie but you see my point.

Edited by MGREXX

Yup, they were known as the wildcards, more specifically, the "58th Wildcards," which was under the command of Lt. Col. T.C. McQueen.

Hey, Loner, IIRC, T.C. took out Chiggy Von Richtofen in a spectacular one on one dogfight. ;)

wolfx:

I want my hammerhead, too!!!!!! B))

Hey MGREXX, since you obviously do not know what the hell you are talking about, you pogue, stop talking like you know everything about the Marine Corps. Unless your ass made it through boot camp, which I doubt you ever went through, I do not consider you worthy enough to even look at my beloved Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, even if it does appear on a science fiction show.

And by the way: ALL MARINES ARE GROUND POUNDERS. It is not theory. That is the basic doctrine of any man or woman who joins the Corps.

Edit: By the way, this is a Marine. And it is me.

post-26-1118899820_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Stop feeding the troll. Try not to let MGREXX lure you guys into arguments no matter how stupid he is. Derailing the thread is what he's looking for.

I am actually glad to see that a REAL marine pwned him instantly though. :lol:

Edited by Anubis

Well let's see.

I served 4 years in the US Army as an Airborne Infantry soldier. I was part of Operation Just cause in Panama in 1989 and Desert Storm in 1991. I also served at the DMZ in Korea for a year. I take it that this background gives me the right to talk about the Infantry MOS in general. What have you done?

As for the Marine Corpse Infantryman, there is little difference. They are just more gung-ho because they are a smaller and therefore slighty better trained than a normal US Army Infantry soldier. Trust me, in the middle of war, we were both brothers doing the same $hit. It's only in peactime that service rivalry gets in the way.

As for all MArines being ground pouders....... I think not.

A marine pilor gets shot down in hostile territory and he will not turn inot Rambo. He will try to flee to safety. A cook gets caught in an ambush and he will defend himself and try to get to safety, instead of joining the fight and turning in the Terminator. Marines have their special skills and do them well but don't try and make it seem like all marines are killing machines because only the Marine grunts can fit that roll just like the US Army grunts do and the NAVY SEAL's.

Derailing the thread is what he's looking for.

Derailing the thread????? I am just stating the facts. He came after me bro, like I was some clueless civilian who knew nothing about the military.

AIRBORNE!!!!!!!!

Edited by MGREXX

Hey, Loner, IIRC, T.C. took out Chiggy Von Richtofen in a spectacular one on one dogfight.  ;)

Yep, he sealed his badass-ness when he gave his short rant to the Chaplan before he sortied during the funeral.

[Colonel McQueen is about to go kill Chiggy Von Richtofen, the enemies ace flyer]

Priest: Colonel. Colonel! Colonel McQueen! Do you need to make peace with your maker.

Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: My maker was some geek in a lab coat with an eyedropper and a petri dish. What do I need to make peace with him for?

Priest: In times of war we must all make peace with our maker.

Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: Well, I don't think our maker wants to hear from me right now. Because he knows I'm going to go out in this plane and I'm going to remove one of His creations from His universe. And when I get back, I'm going to drink a bottle of scotch as if it was Chiggy Von Richtofen's blood and celebrate his death.

Priest: Amen.