Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

What I want to see is how these are supposed to transorm. There is very little Truck parts showing on Prime in bot mode. I guess it'll just be magic, and even if they somehow pull it off, there will be seems and panel lines all over the place.

Chris

It goes along with my (and many other's) main complaint:

The vehicles are so incredibly broken-up in robot mode, you have no idea what's what, or even what it turns into. Where are Prime's stacks? Grill? Headlights? Horns? Fuel tanks? Fenders? Hood? Cab? Fifth wheel? There's some tires, but that's about it. All the sheet metal seems to have broken up into one-inch long bits.

Just about every TF ever---you could definitely tell what it turned into based on robot mode. These--you can't, there's just random bits of metal hanging off the skeleton. Could be a tank, train, plane, car, or mechanical parrot.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I'm all for robots that can actually move their joints on the big screen.

The TF are supposed to transform into stuff, they are not stuff that transforms into robots (that being the case of alternators/binaltech).

If they are so advanced they can travel through space and think for themselves surely they can have vehicle parts that fold on themselves and break into little pieces rather than having big chunks of vehicles hanging around.

Limiting them to toy technology transformations would make them look more human made than sentient alien. Remember the transforming title on the teaser trailer? Bunch of tiny pieces moving around? That’s how these things are going to transform.

The TF are supposed to transform into stuff, they are not stuff that transforms into robots (that being the case of alternators/binaltech).

If they are so advanced they can travel through space and think for themselves surely they can have vehicle parts that fold on themselves and break into little pieces rather than having big chunks of vehicles hanging around.

Limiting them to toy technology transformations would make them look more human made than sentient alien. Remember the transforming title on the teaser trailer? Bunch of tiny pieces moving around? That’s how these things are going to transform.

426685[/snapback]

^

426685[/snapback]

This is true. Ask any alien.

I agree, I think the movie producers/production designers will likely use "CGI magic" where transformations will occur and many of the vehicle pieces will just disappear when the TF characters are in robot/alien mode.

Might be lame, might not - guess we'll have to wait and see.

:ph34r:

And why only Bonecrusher? What about the rest of the constructicons, and Devastator?!?

Edited by Vermillion21

426685[/snapback]

^ An excellent example of how fans are delude themselves into thinking something new has got to be better just for the sake of having the movie available!

If this were so then they'd be heavly armored against all unknowns and not have their guts just hanging out, also they'd have fewer moving parts too. And throw out the stupidity of the 'Thier aliens so they have to be foreign!' agruement! Because you've forgotten the old slogan: "Transformers Robots In Disguise".

Oh and limiting them to toy technological transformations would've given us a better look with sentience. The freaking Citron ad shows that.

David Hingtgen, Prime's stacks are down on his right forearm, ala Gundam style. You've hit the problem on the head! You just can't tell who is what! There are barely any large identifing markings! I get the impression that whoever designed these fell asleep on a pile of mixed robot books with the Gundam & Five Star Story's being at the top.

Edited by chrono

426685[/snapback]

^ An excellent example of how fans are delude themselves into thinking something new has got to be better just for the sake of having the movie available!

426773[/snapback]

^ An excellent example of how fans are delude themselves into thinking something old (or better put: cartoon magic based around toy vehicles that turn into robots, not the other way around) has got to be better just for the sake of Whining!

If this were so then they'd be heavly armored against all unknowns and not have their guts just hanging out, also they'd have fewer moving parts too. And throw out the stupidity of the 'Thier aliens so they have to be foreign!' agruement! Because you've forgotten the old slogan: "Transformers Robots In Disguise".

426773[/snapback]

Well… they are giving you robots that can actually move that disguise themselves perfectly so unless “Robots In Disguise†is German for “Robots that MUST have big chunks of vehicles hanging out and limited mobility†that says pretty much NOTHING…

And when they made a cartoon to sell those toy VEHICLES THAT TRANSFORM INTO ROBOTS they made up the story of them being alien ROBOTS THAT TRANSFORM INTO VEHICLES. The concept is different (and this time they don’t have to chain themselves to toy designs), but hey, if you where expecting a movie based on some toys instead of a story about an alien race of sentient robots (like the original cartoon) then go right ahead and call Mr. Bay.

Oh and limiting them to toy technological transformations would've given us a better look with sentience. The freaking Citron ad shows that.

426773[/snapback]

Yes, he looks like a good conversationalist. His eyes have… wait he doesn’t have any… well his pretty mouth… no wait…. Oh yeah! He dances (just as anything animated to do so can)… guess if you can see sentience in that commercial then those designs won’t have such a hard time when animated and saying lines.

Wow, don't we have a double standard? MPC SS is too kibbly with parts of his jet hanging off of him, yet apparently Prime doesn't have enough truck pieces hanging off of him? Personally, I like the designs. They aren't blocky nor are they kibbly. It makes it seem much more believable that something like that could interact more fluidly with the real world. Same way I hate padding when I spar. Just gets in the way, so less kibble equlas better IMO. After all they ARE an advanced race of sentient robots. The issue I have is, does this transformation require magic? If it does then it defeats the point of robots that transform. But if they can pull of a feasible transformation, no matter how complex then kudos for getting a truck to turn into something that would actually be useful as battle robot.

* :rolleyes: @Twoducks*

When did heavly armored against damage equal "chucky parts that get in the way"? And since they are alien robots who are YOU to say that they are in the way to begin with! Totally sound like you want farting EVA realism(completely unnessasary give how it's SF) instead of TF's.

Twoducks your just like every other closed-minded idiot out there when it comes to wanting something so bad that you could careless how damage it does to the basic premise. That's why there is so many shitty sf tv shows and movies being made. You don't try to make the impausible pausible by ruining the basic designs. You roll with it and put out a movie that's well written, acted, and flimed.

Wow, so many ruffled panties over, umm... A movie. Just a movie... And not even a completed movie at that.

I realise that the direction being taken in this film is probably drastically-different from what's been done in the past but i don't see that as negative. I grew-up with TF, and was an enormous fan, but if the film doesn't live up to my expectations, my life will *NOT* end.

As I've stated previously, I have to commend the design team for taking such a bold turn on the designs. I'm one of those people who loves innovation: it's that very concept that brought us transforming toys in the first place. Someone, somewhere was willing to go out on a limb and create a toy concept that hadn't been done before, and eventually, we got Transformers.

Someone on another forum has a sig that is a quote from Henry Ford, that reads something like "If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." I think it's quite funny, and probably very true.

Granted, not everything new will be met with universal approval, and that's fine, but I can't fault people for trying.

With regards to the upcoming film, I'm going to proceed with an open mind until I see the whole thing on screen. In the end, those who don't like it, or don't want to like it, can simply vote with their wallets and not go see it or buy the associated products. In the end, this film and associated merchandise were created to make money, pure and simple. If they aren't financially successful, they probably won't continue, or at the very least, be forced to re-evaluate their efforts.

That having been said, I would also like to say that irrespective of the upcoming live-action film, be it good , bad, or other, in no way impedes people from enjoying all the previous incarnations of Transformers.

There, I've spoken my mind. Flame away :lol:

* :rolleyes: @Twoducks*

426815[/snapback]

* :rolleyes: @chrono*

When did heavly armored against damage equal "chucky parts that get in the way"? And since they are alien robots who are YOU to say that they are in the way to begin with! Totally sound like you want farting EVA realism(completely unnessasary give how it's SF) instead of TF's.

426815[/snapback]

Go get a bunch of boxes, now wear them, now move and dance around and tell me how well you do it. If a piece of armour is in the way of another piece of armour the thing can’t move, look at the toys: pretty but they don’t have a wide range of movement. Sure, they can have alien armour that can “face out†when in contact with another part of the robot but it is just easier to not have it there in the first place.

And I wouldn’t call “heavily armoured†just having some armour plates on the chest and lower legs while leaving the whole stomach, hip and upper legs wide open like your little Citröen friend does.

Twoducks your just like every other closed-minded idiot out there when it comes to wanting something so bad that you could careless how damage it does to the basic premise.

426815[/snapback]

:lol: I can sense a little resentment here. Be happy man, the world isn’t going to end (really, it isn’t). Better yet, turn off your computer and buy someone you like a present with the money you are going to safe from not seeing this movie; you’ll feel better.

The cartoons basic premise was alien robots that transform into vehicles to hide so I don’t see your “damageâ€. The movie is about the cartoon, not about how the toys looked.

BTW, If I was a "closed-minded idiot" I would not accept anything that went against the status quo.

That's why there is so many shitty sf tv shows and movies being made. You don't try to make the impausible pausible by ruining the basic designs. You roll with it and put out a movie that's well written, acted, and flimed.

426815[/snapback]

ok :blink: ... what are you trying to say? How does trying out something that looks plausible on screen get in the way of doing a well written, acted, and filmed movie?

You can’t make a well written, acted, and filmed SF movie or tv program if you try to do implausible "basic designs" look plausible?

No really, answer me that after your “open mind†cools down.

See, here's what's going through my mind...

I'm seeing some of this stuff, like Bumblebee and Prime, and I'm starting to think, "hey, that's not half bad." I mean, after all, the Transformers were supposed to be sentient robots, who have existed for millions of years, and who come from an alien planet. These new designs certainly are less 1980's bulky robots with hunks of cars hanging off them... they have an otherworldly, organic look that works with the concept of living alien robots. Likewise, as has been mentioned, they're supposed to be robots first who can change into an alternate mode... NOT cars (etc) that happen to turn into robots (which was, IIRC, the Diaclone idea).

But then I gotta stop and say... I remember when I first heard that a live-action Transformers film was in the works, I distinctly remember being given the impression that it was going to be G1, NOT Armada, Energy, RID, or any other re-imagining. Including a brand new re-imagining. I was excited then, because I was looking forward to seeing the heroes of my childhood come to life.

And what do we have? A damn re-imagining. It's Transformers, but NOT the one I was hoping for. It may have Optimus Prime, he may turn into a truck, and yeah, it's freaking cool that Peter Cullen is providing the voice... but that Prime, slick as he may be, is NOT my freaking childhood hero come to life.

Ok so it is not a case of whether the reimagining is good or bad but that it doesn't follow the toon?

It's kind of like the BSG or the X-men movie thing I guess:

There are just some people who want the comic book version or the cartoon version of something for identification reasons. When wolverine ditched the yellow spandex it was breaking the norm and offends the fan of the character. Same thing when the robots didn't have thier electronic-sounding voices from the original BSG. So I use that same logic here: it might be good despite not being faithful to the characters in the cartoons.

In a way I like to think of the TF as being more machine than people even though they act like humans. The whole look of them in these pics suggest they are going for more mechanical feel to the alien. In some parts I'm glad it doesn't follow the cartoon: for example the mass shifting, and that megatron isn't a tiny little handgun, but in others I'm worried it won't keep the characters likeable.

But I hope that when the robots fight they get wrecked and smash and all kinds of stuff that you wouldn't see in a cartoon. I mean it makes it easy to understand visually when a robot's arm doesn't work or move properly when you can see the mechanical pieces not functioning instead of hidden behind armor plates or just being knocked back and never dying. (there was no detail in how something is damaged in toon land) I hope they don't make all the robots too scary though: the humans after all have to be the ones to help the autobots right? And if they are too scary to approach, we are not going to care for a machine that looks mean all the time. (optimus shouldn't have flames imo because he is the calm leader, that is more like something hotrod would have because he is reckless and stuff)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

As childish as it seems I got into an arugement for the last hour with a buddy of mine on the designs for the movie...I even made an experiment.

See my problem with the movie designs is simple, in all of the transformers history of characters, you could have a character we'll say prime......in all of the prime's out there, you could look at prime and go "Wow he's a semi" or "He turns into some vehicle that's big!"

That was because in his robot form he carried some sort of a "vehicle" characteristic to him....

Now you look at bumble bee, you look at his robot mode and you see how he's got the characteristic of a VW Beetle.........then you look at this live action version which is a camero and go "Huh? where the hell could you believe he could turn into that?"

My friend then just quotes "ROBOTS IN DISGUISE DUMBASS!"

I quote back "Okay, so you're saying all the transformers before this have been done incorrectly and are a sham?"

His response "I just accept this with an open mind!"

So I gave him a picture of the starscream we've all been seeing and go "Okay you accept this as Starscream? Cause damn, that looks NOTHING like him."

His response was "YEAH! I totally see him!" ".........are you on crack?"

So I gave the picture to someone else who's a transformers fan I asked "So who does that look like to you?"

"Ummm.....like a BW's head on an air plane." "So you can accept that as being Waspinator maybe?" "Yeah I think I can go with that"

Now I could accept that star scream design as either being B.B. for his characteristics of the rail guns and bulky body, Waspinator cause he does have an insect like look to him espically the head.......but Starscream? That really makes me go "WTF?"

.....anyone nelse agree?

Yeah I can agree to that being waspinator, my friend,

Well remember!? SS possessed Waspinator body in beast wars!
.....ummmm so wtf is your point?
So maybe that's how SS would look in beast wars? remember, their cybertronians names can not be pronounced in Earth tongue!
And you just proved to me how smoking crack is really bad for you.  You could accept a red painted coffee pot as Optimus Prime if it was thrown to you.  You just want a brand new fresh spectrum on the Transformers.  You don't care what it is as long as it carries the Transformers name and basic appearance...if I told you Megatron was a Fondo Pot you'd accept it....
Sure! Because it's different!
....You're a retard....Bay can easily appeal to you...
So you think you could do better if you were the director of this movie?
....let's just say if I was directing this movie, given the same property rights, budget, effects and crew, I could make the movie into something the fans could agree with, and new fans would enjoy when watching cause I pay attention to the internet
Well they got Peter Cullen in it! So they do listen to fans!
Okay anyone who went to one of the latest TF Conventions where Peter Cullen was in it would go "OMIGOD HE'S PRIME!"......and you know what, I bet you anything the guys working on the movie were there watching and listening....I bet it didn't even take the fans for the crew to go "We want him"

Then things got a bit heated, I told him he's a retard he'll accept anything cause he's a corperate media baby and he put me on block like a lil pussy would after loosing a debate.

....let's just say if I was directing this movie, given the same property rights, budget, effects and crew, I could make the movie into something the fans could agree with, and new fans would enjoy when watching cause I pay attention to the internet

"If I could describe the internet in one picture?"

post-2996-1156151143_thumb.jpg

Sorry but since I saw the caption for that pic I always see that image when peole talk about the Internet :p

Autobots wage thier battle to

..destroy the evil...

...forces of.....

...the decepticons!!

The transformers..more than meets the eye!

The transformers...Robots in Disguise!!!

^

I want a human character to sing that song in the movie. Just like what they did for spiderman 2 when that chinese lady sang the old 60s spiderman cartoon theme song. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I don't need a bunch of kibble hanging off either, that's not my argument, What I and I believe others are trying to say is that there dosen't "appear" to be enough of a vehical showing in Bot mode for it to be fesable to realistically transform into said vehicle. That's all.

Chris

I think the point some people are missing or just not trying to take into consideration is that since the G1 Cartoon there has barely been a Prime (or any other character for that matter) that looked anything like the original truck/vehicles save for the Beast Wars tie in episodes in the end of season 2/beginning of 3.

It's progression. Is it (and I swear to Christ I hate this term) raping our childhoods? Yeah. Blatantly. But as the same time it's progressiing into the future of things.

Yeah. It's going to be (literal) movie magic and...oh noes...science fiction fantasy in a movie about somehting a lot of know, love and cherish but at the time it's something a lot of us have wanted for a long time.

Let's just ALL hope it ends up having a decent story, setting, acting etc so maybe it will come out on top and we can hope for improvements in the future.

Just give it a chance. After you see it, by all means, rip it to shreds but man, some of you guys need to take a break.

- C

I'm on page 58 of the script as we speak. I like it, it's interesting.... Nothing like the transformers of old, but interesting.

426999[/snapback]

Is the real script already available?

Interesting in the sense that there is more than just a bunch of action scenes? Do the TF have decent screen time (in non action settings)?

The script I have states "Feb 28th revised version" It's possible that some elements could have changed, and most likely would still change even after filming starts, but from the shots I've seen and the scenes I've seen being filmed, it pretty much falls in line with what I have.

I've read the whole thing, and there are some fairly interesting (and funny) scenes with the Autobots interacting with Spike. Megatron on the other hand, is characterized in a way that makes him fearsome to the point that the original G1 Megatron seems like a happy little girlie-robot compared to his new incarnation. Sent chills up my spine reading it.

Edited by captain america

one thing i have to say about the movie char designs are that they will mak it a b&%^h to make toys for.  un less they go for clunky toys like they did for hotrod and the others when the animated movie came out.

426957[/snapback]

If the blackout pictures are anything to go by, the toys are going to look much better than the movie bots. I'm waiting to see the toy for Prime.

Well, the story is one thing to which I'll see, when I'll see it...but the designs are turning me off.

BTW, a little blurb from SHH:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/transfor...ews.php?id=4660

1- They will be releasing more teaser posters in the coming months.

2- Paramount made studies and concluded that the TF "ANNOUNCEMENT" was the 2nd highest rated "teaser" this summer.

3.- They just finished shooting a lot of Pentagon interiors on a soundstage in scenes that involved many Chiefs of staff in their huge war room.

4.- Shia just was recently suspended over the edge of a 20 story building in a very dynamic and intense scene.

5.- The average transformation time from normal mode to alt mode and vice versa is about 3 to 4 seconds.

6.- The leaked pictures are legit (although a somewhat early rendering).

7.- Filming of massive chase scenes will begin in the following weeks.

8.- The CGI transformations by ILM are looking wicked and nastier every single day.

9.- Part 1 will be about why the transformers came to earth.

10.- This movie will be a new start for the live action franchise that will not be based on any particular TF TV series and/or comic book.

The last one is good enough for me. Also leaves me a way to quietly not involve myself in any conversation involving the originals compared to these awful designs.