3 Million Pledged to save Enterprise!

Magnus

Bah, Star Trek needs to die. Give that money to me instead...I'll make good use of it. :p

3 million would make what...2 episodes anyways? Baka.

Edited by Gaijin

Wow, check this out:

http://www.trekunited.com/news.php?id=13

Some anonymous donors pledged 3 MILLION to help get Enterprise renewed! Crazyness!

Although I have to admit, ever since Coto came onboard, the show's actually been pretty damn good

You have GOT to be kidding me. I like Enterprise (at least it's not Voyager), but I've got better things to spend my money on than trying to get Paramount to change its mind.

The money would be best used to fund a new star trek however the fanchise is getting old. The epic needs a long break because they are running out of ideas. Even star trek TNG, DS9 and voyger have episodes that were a waste of money in production.

I'm also a Trek fan who liked Enterprise but it's pretty useless considering Mel Karmezin wants NOTHING to do with Trek (after this series is over).

It's dead folks......give Star Trek the rest it truely needs. ;)

even that its bad in a way. i do like how they try to link the original series to it, like how the klingon lost there ridges by a virus so they look more like the original series.

They actually gave an explanation!! :o

I love Star Trek, but Enterprise needs to die and disappear. Let Star Trek fall off the map for a couple of years then take JMS up on his offer when he's availible again. They're hammering it into the ground.

It's rather messed up that someone can afford to blow 3 million to try to save a lousy TV show, yet we still have underfunded atempts to cure cancer and other important things.

even that its bad in a way.  i do like how they try to link the original series to it, like how the klingon lost there ridges by a virus so they look more like the original series.

They actually gave an explanation!! :o

Yah. Recent story arc involving genetically engineered humans.

Klingons captured some, attempted to apply the enhancements to klingons.

Met with limited success, in that it made them supermen, but also killed them. And was carried through the klingon equivalent of a cold.

Our stars fixed things. The klingons don't get super powers, but don't die. And are stuck with the human-ish faces of Kirk's era.

Granted. I've tried watching this show a dozen times but I can't sit 10 minutes without having to get up and do something else, that's how unimportant it's been to me.

You know, its fine in every 2 or 3 years you do a movie, hell if they wanna do one with the Enterprise cast...but please just let it die I swear Gene is turning in his stary grave.

I'm also a Trek fan who liked Enterprise but it's pretty useless considering Mel Karmezin wants NOTHING to do with Trek (after this series is over).

It's dead folks......give Star Trek the rest it truely needs. ;)

Who?

It's dead folks......give Star Trek the rest it truely needs.  ;)

Who?

President of Viacom (owns Paramount).

It's rather messed up that someone can afford to blow 3 million to try to save a lousy TV show, yet we still have underfunded atempts to cure cancer and other important things.

You want a cure for any disease? Go infect bill gates with it and I guaruntee we'll have a fesable cure within a week.

Well, at the risk of getting battered, after really thinking it through, this could be a really great idea.

First, 'cure cancer' instead? That's a cheap shot, everyone one here has spent something on Macross merchandise, some have spent thousands in total. Is Macross higher than curing cancer? Is going to the movies, buying a dvd, a video game or designer clothes or driving anything fancier than a Yugo helping cure cancer?

I hope Enterprise survives, I don't think it's the greatest show ever, but it has improved over the past couple seasons. And I'm one of those that hates when there isn't something of Star Trek in the works. It's a near 40 year institution, on and off. Besides the new BSG (which I like a lot) and Stargate (which I don't like, but don't mind if other's do ;) ), what other Sc-Fi is there?(on TV)

This tactic of raising money to directly fund a show, I haven't heard of it before. Has this ever been tried? Hell, if it works it could pave the way for other comebacks. You want a new Macross story? Maybe if fans chipped in a bit, direct funding could push the lazy/greedy/inattentive dolts that own all these shows, Macross, Star Trek, Babylon-5, Cowboy Bebop, whatever, to make new shows/movies OAV's.

I think the biggest problem with Star Trek is the handful of producers(?), who will not get out of the show's way and let new blood have some fun with the Trek Universe. I only hope that message gets through with the 'donations'. (it's not really a donation as much as a purchase, like buying stock to get a new company off the ground.)

You want a cure for any disease? Go infect bill gates with it and I guaruntee we'll have a fesable cure within a week.

nah bill would transfer his intelligence into a computer but using his os he will crash then have to install a service pack wich prevents half of him to work :lol: and require him to activate himself using the internet.

Just another thought, look at the revolution happening in Space Travel. It's happening because enough people got sick and tired of waiting for Governments and bureaucracies to pioneer anything. Yes Governments paved the way, but for the past 20 years or more, they got IN THE WAY of progress. NASA has become massively risk-averse, the rest of the world seemed to have said, 'eh, America already landed on the moon, so who cares.' While America/NASA, went 'yup, been there, done that. Let's grow fungus on the shuttle!"

So now we have private pilots risking their lives to fly to space, private designers and engineers making ingenious craft, and private corporations and individuals funding their own space ventures.

This is sort of what they're attempting, all be it on a much smaller scale, with funding a new season of Enterprise. People are going 'over the heads' of the big Studios/corporations to get a show made themselves, just like these Space pioneers are going 'over the heads' of Governments and Bureaucracies to do it themselves.

It's dead folks......give Star Trek the rest it truely needs.  ;)

Who?

President of Viacom (owns Paramount).

And, therein lies the dilemma. I was looking at the official Star Trek webpage's article, and they seemed to imply that the decision to cancel the show was linked to the fact that Enterprise will be hitting 100 episodes at the end of the season. This means that Enterprise was still doomed when the fans got, essentially, a stay of execution during season 3.

Look at it this way: Enterprise was in limbo at the end of Season 2, and through seasons 3 and 4. It wasn't profitable enough to justify continued production, yet pulling in respectible (if not anywhere near spectacular) ratings. Paramount/UPN's dilemma was solved when the show loked as though it would hit 100 episodes (the threshhold mentioned in the ST.com article as being the "break-even" point for syndication). Now, they could sell the show to syndication, DVD, etc. and not worry about the very large investment, financially that they made in the show.

Why? Granted, i've never seen a single episode, but I can't see the reasoning behind this. All reports have the franchise dead in the water as things currently stand. Star Trek is a black hole for money.

Some anonymous donors pledged 3 MILLION to help get Enterprise renewed!   Crazyness!

I don't believe it. More like a dozen or so fanboys did whatever means necessary. How many bake offs did that take? Better yet "tsunami relief money" only it's going to be used for Star Trek.

Edited by Jemstone

Ug, are they trying to do a repeat of Farscape? That was a series kinda worth saving. Enterprise however is not.

yeah...i totally agree with you...i'm not much of a star trek fan...but i did like deep space 9...i watch the repeats on tv whenever i can...

Wow. Never knew that Trek fans and my government had so much in common when it comes to wasting large sums of money. Maybe both parties really are trying to eliminate currency before the 24th century :)

Geez, guess I'm the only one around who likes Enterprise. And no I'm not a rabid fan or anything, but some of these comments are fairly obnoxious.

So we're supposed to cure cancer and give money to the Tsunami relief effort and not 'waste' it on Star Trek. That's reasonable. Macross is a whole lot more important than curing Caner and sending aid to Natural Disatser victims. <_<

What do you care if people like a show you don't? Or if they want to raise money to keep it going? I'm not trying to be thin skinned, but the hair trigger trashing and bashing really isn't that neccassary. I have an urge to jump in every thread about anything and say 'that sucks', 'that's lame', 'why would they make that shyyt?' 'What a waste of of money' and other insightful, freindly comments. :)

You want to talk about a lame waste of money?

The salary of Jim Carey, Adam Sandler or Will Smith get for one film.

The salary of any NY Yankee/Boston Red Sox player for a season.

All reality TV shows. (i.e. American idol, survivor, the Paris Hilton show etc. etc.)

All music videos, especially rap.

Well, I'll stop there, but that list is just about endless. Now I'm gonna go make a Paypal donation to save Enterprise just to piss Feyd-Rautha off. :)

Edited by Major Johnathan

Wow. Never knew that Trek fans and my government had so much in common when it comes to wasting large sums of money. Maybe both parties really are trying to eliminate currency before the 24th century :)

which government is it? The Canadian government? :lol:

Enterprise... It is a big disappointment to me.

The show went to the wrong direction when they started to do time traveling... this idea just doesn't work at that time frame.

I rather watch re-run of Voyager instead of band new Enterprise.

I actually thought Voyager was the worst show in the Star Trek franchise. I think I only brought myself to watch maybe 5 or 6 episodes a season. I actually like Enterprise the most out of the series that came after the original series. Maybe it's because I'm not a die-hard Star Trek fan and have no set idea of what Star Trek should be that makes me like Enterprise.

I actually thought Voyager was the worst show in the Star Trek franchise. I think I only brought myself to watch maybe 5 or 6 episodes a season. I actually like Enterprise the most out of the series that came after the original series. Maybe it's because I'm not a die-hard Star Trek fan and have no set idea of what Star Trek should be that makes me like Enterprise.

Either that, or you are desperately trying to hang on to a sinking ship.

As pathetically lame as I think Star Trek fans are, I can't help but notice that I am a member of this one fansite of this 20 year old cartoon that really only had one good show and one good movie, then one other good movie that was pretty much disconnected. In fact most people in the country that this particular series comes from don't even know what it is. So it kinda makes me a hipocrate picking on Trek fans.