The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

Just got the set and opened it up. The ANH disc seems to have encoding problems during Chapter 26. I ran through this chapter on three players.. a Panasonic, an Xbox and a PS2. All three of them experienced the problems at the same points. Macroblocking, freezing, etc. I haven't watched the entire disc, though I suspect that the entire first pressing may have these issues. I inspected the disc and it's free of any visible defects or damage, so this does appear to be an encoding problem.

Would any of you who also have your Star Wars sets mind helping me verify these issues? Check out Chapter 26 on ANH and see what you can find, please.

Looks like I'm going to have to return these and wait for a second pressing. Damn.  :angry:

I can verify that you are not having problems with your player. I'm having the same problem. There is also problems with not hearing the soundtrack in the background, especially in the Death Star battle. You can barely hear the music at all, and that is with it being set on all ranges. And all those purple flashes when something explodes is getting to be really annoying. What the hell is up with that?

what ver do you have?

mine is fine, i hqve widescreen

Just got the set and opened it up. The ANH disc seems to have encoding problems during Chapter 26. I ran through this chapter on three players.. a Panasonic, an Xbox and a PS2. All three of them experienced the problems at the same points. Macroblocking, freezing, etc. I haven't watched the entire disc, though I suspect that the entire first pressing may have these issues. I inspected the disc and it's free of any visible defects or damage, so this does appear to be an encoding problem.

Would any of you who also have your Star Wars sets mind helping me verify these issues? Check out Chapter 26 on ANH and see what you can find, please.

Looks like I'm going to have to return these and wait for a second pressing. Damn.  :angry:

I can verify that you are not having problems with your player. I'm having the same problem. There is also problems with not hearing the soundtrack in the background, especially in the Death Star battle. You can barely hear the music at all, and that is with it being set on all ranges. And all those purple flashes when something explodes is getting to be really annoying. What the hell is up with that?

Well crap. I was looking forward to having both versions of the trilogy on DVD. I was especially looking forward to a nice, new transfer and outstanding sound..

.. and I got this instead. Hrm.

Yes, the video and sound are excellent, for the most part. Star Wars has never looked or sounded better.. ever. Until you run into those problems. For what is arguably the most highly-anticipated DVD release to date, you'd think they'd have done some serious quality control. I guess not. What's next? Are they going to tell us that the encoding problems were intentional as well? Should I even bother to watch through the other discs? :angry:

Oh well. <puts the original trilogy back into his player>

EDIT: I have the widescreen version.

Edited by Drad

And all those purple flashes when something explodes is getting to be really annoying. What the hell is up with that?

Yeah, really. There were pinkish-red flashes during the gunbattle on the Rebel ship in the beginning.. very distracting, at first. Then they became downright annoying. The new transfer is still better than any I've ever seen for the Star Wars Trilogy, but we don't need strobe effects. It's a firefight, not a disco.

i have the widescreen version and am playing on the Ps2 and do not seem to have the problem you guys are having with sound and chapter 26, (thank god). i will keep a eye out for anything if it comes up, also i do not think the box is not to bad as long as you take care of it and keep it stored on a good shelf it should last, mine does not seem like paper looks more like cardboard had looks like it should last. is there more than one type of box released for it?

edit, added more stuff

Edited by zeo-mare

Well make that (3) with the encoding issues for Ch. 26 of ANH.

I haven't tried it on any of my other players, but after reading this last page why bother?

I also have the WS version.

Besides that one very annoying issue the releases are decent enough... B))

-b.

Got my set 2 days ago. I decided to order the R2 set from England rather than buying the domestic Hong Kong R3 release, as amazon.co.uk had it for a very cheap price. Even with shipping, I still saved money :( .

I have to agree that the card case is pretty flimsy, but it doesn't bother me too much. I'm buying this set to watch the movies, not to fondle the case or stare at it for hours :p . And sitting on my shelf with all my other DVDs, I'm sure it's going to hold together just fine.

Anyway, I haven't had time to watch the movies yet, but I have been watching the documentaries on the extras disc, which is unusual for me as I normally don't give a toss about DVD extras or 'making of documentaries'. I am finding the 'Empire of Dreams (or whatever it's called) documentary very interesting though. Definitely helps me to understand Lucas more.

Not a big Star Wars fan, although I did of course love the movies when I saw them as a kid back in the 70s/80s. when they first came out. Heck I even remember the big queue at the cinema for 'A New Hope' and standing in line with my mom to see it when I was 7 years old :D

Graham

I just watched the Death Star run on the ANH disc. The reports of a nearly muted score in this segment are correct, unfortunately. Even some of the sound effects are muffled. Gee. Are these flaws intentional too? This just can't be right. :(

Hmmm, after reading the responses here and on Amazon.ca, I've decided to hold off purchasing this set. My friend has the DVD set and is going to watch it this evening, so he'll tell me the full skinny. I'm guessing at this point the audio/visual problems aren't nearly as bad as some have said (especially since I don't have a expensive AV setup and I own a regular tv).

Still, no harm in being cautious. That's why the internet is so great...you get to hear all this stuff ahead of time :)

Well all the reviews I've read have been raving about the 5.1 surround and the remastered print. And I can't wait 3 years for GL to bring out the 'definitive' collection. Plus, I might be getting it for free anyway. hehe. B))

Ouch....

My brother and I picked up our copies today. Both are Widescreen editions, we brought them home and threw my copy of ANH in, chapter 26 and 27 have fairy severe video defects and digitized blockiness for a fraction of a second on 5 occasions, three in chapter 26 and 2 in chapter 27.

My brother's copy is clean. Both purchased from different stores. At any rate, the flaw is on the disc, reproduceable in my Panasonic DVD player, Sony PS2 and portable DVD player by Toshiba.

At any rate, it looks like maybe they rushed the factory to get the discs out.... <_<

Only glitch I noticed was chapter 27, about 3:28 in. It suddenly skips (audio and video) to 3:31 or so. Luke just ended saber practice with the helmet on, Obi-Wan says "you've just taken your first steps on the path" and then there's like 1 frame of the end of that scene then it goes to Vader. Tested on: Sony NS575-P. Trying to slow-mo the scene causes it to freeze. Strangely, plays ok (or nearly so) in reverse.

And the big blue door on the escape pod looks really added-in and pointless.

Here are the facts:

1. There is not a single buyer of the Star Wars DVD set that would be bothered if it came with both versions of the films. Except maybe George Lucas.

2. No matter how much I think that sucks, the guy's got a right to do what he wants to.

Amen. And, to be honest, it's just as annoying to hear the "other side" talk about how Lucas has "every right" to do what he is doing.

Of course he has the right to do it. But, to quote Chris Rock, That doesn't mean it's to be done.

Yes, he has the right to have Greedo fire first, add Boba Fett into the first movie as a lame bodyguard who mugs the camera, etc. But, that doesn't mean they are good decisions.

So, yeah, he's got the right to do it. And we have the right to point out that they are misguided, idiotic, and/or poorly implemented.

H

It's not as though having both versions in the same set would be a "bad" thing, it's just not a big deal to you.

That's about where I am on it.

I do get thorougly amused by the indignant sense of entitlement that some people have towards a DVD issued with the cut they would like.

:lol:

That's about where I am on it.

I do get thorougly amused by the indignant sense of entitlement that some people have towards a DVD issued with the cut they would like.

:lol:

It's not that we feel "entitled" (as we've discussed before). It's that we think he's being stupid to not provide the original cuts of the film along with the new junk. It may be his "right". . . but that doesn't make it a good decision. In fact, it's a bad decision for innumerable reasons.

H

Giggle Giggle. I love Boba's new voice.

Anyways, with as much as 'Lucas has accomplished with his "Empire" it is obvious that he caters to no one other than his own whims. As for regarding him as an artist or a whore, he could be either one or a combination of both, but he is neither. He does what he does, simply because he is earned the right and the position/power to do so. Purist fans don't like the new editions-who cares. Other fans love the new editions-doesn't matter. Critics harp on his new editions-so what. This is Lucas' vision and direction and that is all there is to it. Anything else that is said or done regarding this issue is irrelevant.

PS: We should be happy for him, in that he has come to the point that he can do what he wishes with his story, which is a far cry from the days when the movie studios were pressuring him to change this, that and the other thing. If the studios and other pressures of giving birth to STAR WARS (funds, limited technology) had had their way, NONE of this may have ever happened.

Be glad for his freedom and respect his decisions...

Edited by myk

I'm not going to quibble with you again about it, but doesn't seem like such a bad decision to me.

And the bottom line ($$$) doesn't seem to show it, either. I wouldn't mind if Lucas decided to provide those with the raped childhoods their dream (though I'd wager it would cost him far more money than he'd make - it's only the extremely hard headed who are boycotting this DVD release or the new movies, after all).

I won't get into "artistic integrity" over a popcorn flick like this (even though I usually sneer at the concept almost everywhere else it's applied, as well), but I do respect Lucas' sticking to the last release of the films in their original state with the THX release.

Just FTR, I thought I'd add that I REALLY don't like the Hayden Christensen ghost replacing Sebastian Shaw, but I am definately interested in seeing where Episode III goes with this.

Something I find a little odd, he cleaned up the FX in alot of scenes, but in the escape from the death star in ANH he left in those read spaces around the tie fighters. Any reason why he didn't do this, forgot to? A technical imposibility to fix? It was just his whim to leave it in?

I think myk sums it up rather well.

Oh and the guy writing for the Boston Globe has had tons of opportunity to get the old school one. More than a lot of people... he's got no room really to complain.

Hell, if he's such a huge fan, wouldn't he have the LDs? :)

I disagree, but that's no real surprise. Again, I can respect the guy's ability to make his own decisions and stick to them - but I think it's a shame that he's taken a stand that essentially has his company in the business of censoring his own work. Not just his own work, but 3 of the top grossing films of all time at that.

George is no better than the corporations he struggled with in the first place, if he continues to make decisions like this one.

And come on, Max... laserdisc? Next thing you know you'll be telling folks they have to dig out an 8-track if they want to listen to Hotel California. :p

Besides, you can all kiss my ass when George goes back on his promise after enough people dare to bitch about this. Or will that just be yet another decision that every fan should respect because the king decreed it? :lol:

IMO, the only reason you guys are so aggressively against anybody who dares to want the OT on DVD is mainly because of this stupid "raped my childhood" nonsense. Whoever invented that phrase deserves a special place in Hell beside the inventor "don't go there" and "tell it to the hand."

:rolleyes:

Blaine. You don't understand dude.

Lucas is just exploring his "vision." And it's his "right" to do so. So, really, if we engage in any criticizm regarding the questionable choices he has made both creatively and in distributing his once-classic films, we're just engaging in whining.

HANDS OFF GEORGE LUCAS! Just go buy a LaserDisc machine dude or watch your crappy VHS tapes. . . but just stop bitching already.

You see how cool it is over on this side of things? Just state that you don't care (repeatedly). . . and remember that anyone who takes the time to point out any mis-steps on the part of Lucas is just a whiner who can't get past his childhood. But --and I can't stress this enough-- the most important thing to continually mention is that you don't care. Make sure that you state this repeatedly every time the issue comes up. Because, it's very important to prove that you are above it all while the nerds get all upset about their silly little movies.

Got it?

H

"Just been watching the "Making the Episode III Game" feature on the Bonus Disc. Would the LucasArts employee who has the Linn Minmei poster on their office wall like to stand up and be counted on Macross World, please?"

Hehehehe. In plain sight too......and that happens to be the very same scroll I have hanging in MY room. :lol:

post-26-1095842717_thumb.jpg

Blaine.  You don't understand dude.

Lucas is just exploring his "vision."  And it's his "right" to do so.  So, really, if we engage in any criticizm regarding the questionable choices he has made both creatively and in distributing his once-classic films, we're just engaging in whining.

HANDS OFF GEORGE LUCAS!  Just go buy a LaserDisc machine dude or watch your crappy VHS tapes. . . but just stop bitching already.

You see how cool it is over on this side of things?  Just state that you don't care (repeatedly). . . and remember that anyone who takes the time to point out any mis-steps on the part of Lucas is just a whiner who can't get past his childhood.  But --and I can't stress this enough-- the most important thing to continually mention is that you don't care.  Make sure that you state this repeatedly every time the issue comes up.  Because, it's very important to prove that you are above it all while the nerds get all upset about their silly little movies.

Got it?

H

Maybe if you had to read new posts every day you'd understand. The only reason I have to repeat myself (that is, if you're referring to me) is because Jem brought it into question. I had to straighten her out... but there's another prompt.

Now VHS is crappy? What about when DVD is "crappy?" Its happening already as a matter of fact... then the cycle will begin alll over again.

Wow Hurin, you sure do hate to be disagreed with. Ah well.. 7 pages without a totally worthless post ain't bad. Though this isn't the first time and it probably won't be the last...

Blaine, I'm not saying anyone that wants the OT should run out and grab it. I'm just saying think about all the opportunity everyone has had... and now... with DVD... everyone is acting like its the be all, end all. I'm not saying people on this particular forum are... but it seems to be the general SW peep concensus.

No, Max. That was more directed at Uxi.

We've got history with this topic.

And, yes, VHS sucks. Have you compared the quality recently? I can't watch VHS on my 53" TV. It just looks like ass. Worse than a bad cable signal. Actually, I don't even have a VCR anymore.

H

Edited by Hurin

Picked it up taday at Walmart...will return it tomorrow...was mainly interested in the bonus material (call me a "purist")...started watching the Empire of Dreams documentary...very nice so far...big huge thumbs up for includeing the original 1977 title crawl in that (should finaly put to rest the arguments that the original film release title crawl didn't contain the header "Episode 4: A New Hope")...then just as the documentary gets to the section on the original merchandiseing...tons of frame stutters and simular encodeing problems :rolleyes: ... so I skip forward a chapter...same problems...skip forward yet another chapter (sucks cause this was about Empire)...playback gets frozen, quits playing :angry:

So I remove and inspect the disk, no visable problems...re insert it...decide to check out the sneak peek at episode 3...same stuttering and skipping problems...so I try the DVD on my computer...won't play at all (not supriseing...it doesn't even detect it in the DVD drive :rolleyes: ) ... anyone know of a PC DVD drive that can work with disks containing that newer form of copy protection?...I have zero intention of copying anything, but would like to view movies on my much sharper PC moniter rather then my crappy old TV :p

As for the films themselves...haven't even botherd, even if I can't return this set to get my money back, instead haveing to exchange it with another...I won't watch the films...too damn painfull...

No, Max. That was more directed at Uxi.

We've got history with this topic.

And, yes, VHS sucks. Have you compared the quality recently? I can't watch VHS on my 53" TV. It just looks like ass. Worse than a bad cable signal. Actually, I don't even have a VCR anymore.

H

Ok then. I was figuring in more recent comments between Jemstone and I. So after reading your post I was like "wtf?!"

3...same stuttering and skipping problems...so I try the DVD on my computer...won't play at all (not supriseing...it doesn't even detect it in the DVD drive :rolleyes: )

thats pretty interesting. for me on ESB a good chunk of the movie gets skipped when I play it on my pc dvd.

edit - i'm using a brand new dvdrom (liteon 166s). i played it back on my sony standalone player and it seemed to play ok.

Edited by MrDisco

I watched ANH last night. No encoding issues on chapter 26 or 27. The DVD did lock up twice around the 1hr 55 min mark Then the disc jumped ahead. 3rd time through that scene it played ok. Could be my cheap ass DVD player, I'll check it out in some other players.

My DVD-ROM didn't read the disc at first. Restarted my computer and then it was ok. While watching this disc on there, it skipped alot. I have a hacked DVD drive so I dunno if this causing it or something else. Plus the drive is 5 years old.

Anyone notice the difference in quality of some of the voices? For example: Leia's voice in most scenes sounds real clear(like they added more treble). While Hans sounds cloudy. It's kinda jarring when they speak in the same scene.

The video looks really awesome but I noticed in the scene where Luke and Leia approach the bridge the video has kinda of a wave effect..hmm

As far as the changes go..I'm not as hardlined as I used to be but the Greedo/Han scene still looks like crap and Jabba still looks like ass. The other changes/additions really don't bother me but most of them are really unnecessary.

Edited by dejr8bud

I checked my ANH for the described audio error and my set seems fine. I also skimmed around the movies a bit, and they really have never looked better.

Since I didn't watch the A&E broadcast, I decided to watch the Empire of Dreams documentary. Wow. Excellent stuff, there. I'd seen most of the audition screening before (side note - how terrible a movie would Star Wars have been if they'd stuck to that script? Man, it's cringe-worthy.) and I'd heard alot of the anecdotes about the filming from various sources before. But overall, it's a very, very good documentary. I really enjoyed the way it laid out the progression of the films. Who knew how bad the effects could have turned out? Also, I can't help but wonder how much better RotJ might have been had Spielberg directed.

The preview footage for Ep3 looks awesome as well. As they played my favorite "new" SW music, Duel of the Fates, and showed Ewan and Hayden practicing what looks like an incredible duel... I gotta admit I was more excited about RotS than I have ever been. Hell, even my fiance liked it and she thinks Star Wars belongs on underoos.

It reminded me a great deal of what I think is easily the best part of the prequels thus far - the duel between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon at the end of Ep. 1. Yeah, I hate that it's cut up to show Jake Lloyd somehow not dying in space, but that fight sequence has got more vitality than the entirity of Ep 2, for me.

I'm hoping that RotS can pay off better than the CGI Yoda vs. Christopher Lee duel in AotC. Shouldn't be too hard, even if we've all got a pretty good idea how that fight's gonna end.

For those who have seen ANH, how was the lightsaber duel?

Did Lucas fix the scene where Obi Wan´s lightsaber looked like a huge needle?

Ben's saber in that scene looks pretty odd compared to all the other shots of lightsabers. it didn't have that bright blue shimmer we've come to expect...it was almost a pale whitish-green.

And all those purple flashes when something explodes is getting to be really annoying. What the hell is up with that?

Yeah, really. There were pinkish-red flashes during the gunbattle on the Rebel ship in the beginning.. very distracting, at first. Then they became downright annoying. The new transfer is still better than any I've ever seen for the Star Wars Trilogy, but we don't need strobe effects. It's a firefight, not a disco.

Only got as far as "Aunt & Uncle toast", but man, those pink/purple flashes were a tad annoying. Please tell me they stop and do not carry on....please!!