The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

the side which is open has a promtional piece of paper GLUED to the inner box. this means to remove the dvds you have rip the ad away from the box (on the other side is a flap folded in - if you open the flap you create a crease).

Is this by chance the stupid bilingual advert that many box sets seem to include these days? I had one of those glued to my Futurama box set. :angry:

something which i'm noticing is that explosions are colouring the scene. i.e blasts give off a purple hue, when the camera flys by the exhaust of a ship the scene flashes blue, etc. its rather distracting.

edit: more oddities

- lens flare from the sun glinting off of c3p0

- the door to the escape pod is coloured a deep blue

Edited by MrDisco

Is this by chance the stupid bilingual advert that many box sets seem to include these days? I had one of those glued to my Futurama box set. :angry:

nope. its a silver obi-strip all in english. the top flap has widescreen written across (which is glued to the top of the box). the strip then folds over to cover the opening of the box. along this side is your typical advert "bonus disc included, technical specs, etc etc). this piece is glued to the spine of the inner box.

This was posted today on thedigitalbits.com:

[snip]

Another disc exchange a la Back to the Future fiasco. <_<

Official LucasFilms' statement:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as reported."

so if i make a film that pleases millions and becomes a huge hit, but i am unhappy with it, then yes i will make changes to to match my vision.

That's fine. But do you really believe that Lucas's "vision" of Han Solo wasn't actually captured in his first attempt?

Sure, go back and do things that you were not technically able to do. But don't go back and fundabmentally alter characters that you established 20 years ago to fit your current sensibilities. The whole "Greedo firing first" thing is so annoying because he's going back and inflicting his touch-feely 90s sentimentality and PC morality on a character from the 70s.

To me, the Greedo firing first scene is much more objectionable than adding Jabba to ANH, since he always wanted Jabba there. But you can't seriously believe that he always wanted Greedo to fire first.

It's just revisionism and PC BS run amok in the same way Spielberg mangled ET and removed all of the guns from the FBI agents in order to more properly align with his new, more enlightened political beliefs.

H

I think its awesome that he's making them how he wants to. Sure, people argue that he has a responsibility to his fans... I'll give anti-GL people that... but he upheld that responsibility when he released the ORIGINAL Star Wars Trilogy on VHS "ONE LAST TIME" before the Special Editions were coming out. He gave people a nice version of what they wanted, and now he can make the films how he wants to.

There's a fine line between being an artist and a whore(which seems to be what a lot of his most voracious "fans" want him to become.)

If you really don't like the Special Editions, then get the bootlegs. Its no sweat off George Lucas' or his loyal fans' backs.

Oh yeah, to the bean counters ...

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=168548

I agree. His whole goal is for everyone to see the story he is creating regardless of fan input and being called a whore and such. Hell if I were in his place I would do what he is doing. Why do you think shoji kawamori and and katsushirow nitow(trigun) are so reluctant to approve products at first sight? They want perfection, they want to see what THEY want and thats what they want to invoke to fans. If something they want is not up to THEIR standards I believe they have every right in the world to change or order changes to see it fit. It's their creation after all. Us? we are just fans, there to enjoy, praise, ridicule or what have you.

and hey I got the originals on VHS anyways so @least when i get this on DVD it's something different.

First things first:

RotJ - they really did a lot here. First off, the entire Rancor scene is cleaned up to the point where it looks like they reshot this whole scene! The rancor looks real and blends seemlessly with the footage. No more distortion from where they pasted the footage of the stop-motion prop in with the other footage. The movement of the beast has been made more natural

The rancor in the original ROTJ was a puppet...NOT stop-motion or even "go-motion" animated...it was a puppet (much like Kermit or Yoda) about 18" inches tall filmed at high speed on a miniature set inorder to give it a convinceing sense of weight...

second...

Question, when lucas first made the series, did he have the fans in mind? no there were none, he wanted to make a movie to match his vision, but due to budgets, and lack of technology we got what we got which is still good. no i too have complained about this, but after looking at some documentaries and everything, i am changing. he even said himself way back then that he was not happy with the finished product, so now that he has the chance to change them he will. look i am an aspiring film maker, now i may or may not make it who knows, but i do know this, i intend to make films the way i want, and i really only want to please myself, so if i make a film that pleases millions and becomes a huge hit, but i am unhappy with it, then yes i will make changes to to match my vision. because if nothing else neither GL or i will be making movies for the fans, we make them for our selves.

Lucas has often compared his filmakeing to painting...in some sense there is truth in that....

However in 1977 I, and many others, effectively purchased his "painting" compromises and all...when you purchase a completed painting from an artist, it is both down right rude and insulting for that artist to barge into your home inorder to "fix" the painting you purchased years earlyer simply because the original work was created under compromiseing situations...

But honestly, if you intend on makeing films for yourself...films to suit your vision...you already compromise you vision simply by shareing said works with others...and you further compromise it by asking others to pay money to view / buy copies of it ... The artist of one for the audiance of one must always make compromises inorder to be the artist of one for the audiance of many ... and the first compromise is to address your personnel insecurities concerning the validity of your vision, this is essentualy and often subtley by changeing your vision to appease the intrests of the audiance you intend to share your work with.... so if your films are really for yourself, then don't even bother shareing them with others!

Edited by MSW

Dealing with the "why" of Star Wars is much easier if you just accept that George Lucas is probably insane.  :p

If only it could be simply summed up like that. If only.......

And Max there is a fine line between an artist and whore but you obviously don't know exactly where Lucas stands like you think you do.

Edited by Jemstone

Is this by chance the stupid bilingual advert that many box sets seem to include these days? I had one of those glued to my Futurama box set.  :angry:

nope. its a silver obi-strip all in english. the top flap has widescreen written across (which is glued to the top of the box). the strip then folds over to cover the opening of the box. along this side is your typical advert "bonus disc included, technical specs, etc etc). this piece is glued to the spine of the inner box.

Ah, now I see what you mean. This rubbery crap was on my Good, Bad & Ugly box set too. The stuff on the top came off easy enough, but I dunno about the spine. How did you tackle the problem?

Ah, now I see what you mean. This rubbery crap was on my Good, Bad & Ugly box set too. The stuff on the top came off easy enough, but I dunno about the spine. How did you tackle the problem?

well after i got over my initial confusion as to open the darn thing i just slowly ripped the advert off and peeled the guck off of the box. it left a bit of a mark but a box like this is crap to begin with so who cares.

other oddities - they added a weird sound effect for the debris from Alderaan zooming by the Falcon. there's an echo when luke and leia are standing on the ledge in the death star. this may all have been a part of the SE release..can't remember.

Got my advert off pretty easily. Started from the bottom, and very slowly peeled it rolling up, then I rolled the glue off, and used tape to pick any excess off. Can't say I'm really happy with the sturdiness of the box, though it does look pretty good. I still think it should have been Obi-wan holding the lightsaber in the Ep. IV cover and not young luke. The Insert artwork is horrendous. I know it's suposed to be artsy, but it's still ugly.

I might watch one disc tonight while I do homework.

just got mine.. couldn't find a nice box.. most had been damaged in shipping.. though, by the time I got to fry's there were only a few widescreen editions left.

watching disc four right now.. and the preview of ep 3 actually has me wanting to see the next one.. the fight scene between anakin and obi-wan... looks pretty good.

I must be broken.

I love Star Wars, I have my own Storm Trooper armor costume, see :My Webpage

But I really don't have a problem with Lucas Upgrading graphics on his movies. I don't like him making substantive changes in the plot or storyline, but as far as him filling in frames with CG creatures or making "better" laser blasts, I think it is just fine.

People get far to wound up over this stuff. The movies are supposed to be enjoyable, they are supposed to convey a story and a message. I think a lot of people are missing the forest for the trees so to speak.

It's all good people, if you are so pissed about the changes, then don't buy the new set. I am sure you can find someone who has ripped the LD's to DVD someplace who will provide you wtih the old material if you look hard.

And Max there is a fine line between an artist and whore but you obviously don't know exactly where Lucas stands like you think you do

We're talking about the movies here, right? Right.

No, I'm talking about Lucas himself.

EDIT: Forget it. There's no point with dealing with blind Lucas fans just like there's no point in dealing with Robotechies.

Edited by Jemstone

i am hopfully getting mine today i will try to post what i think later tonight. but i am really looking forward to it.

chris

"Macross" inspires "Star Wars" ... video games that is. :blink:

Anyone catch the Minmay Poster/Scroll hanging in the office of the SW: Episode III video animator's office? You can see the scene during the "Making of Episode III" video game featurette on the bonus disc of the new SW Trilogy DVD. ;)

On page 11 of this thread: ahem :lol:

"Just been watching the "Making the Episode III Game" feature on the Bonus Disc. Would the LucasArts employee who has the Linn Minmei poster on their office wall like to stand up and be counted on Macross World, please?"

I think its awesome that he's making them how he wants to. Sure, people argue that he has a responsibility to his fans... I'll give anti-GL people that... but he upheld that responsibility when he released the ORIGINAL Star Wars Trilogy on VHS "ONE LAST TIME" before the Special Editions were coming out. He gave people a nice version of what they wanted, and now he can make the films how he wants to.

I'll actually give him the props on sticking to the "ONE LAST TIME" business. Who knew he was serious? I mean, we live in a culture where we are constantly slammed with decade long "going out of business" sales and endless rock band reunions that theoretically were "impossible."

Despite the fact that I think Lucas is more than a bit nutty, I actually respect the guy for sticking to his guns. On principle, it's great. But only on principle.

But ultimately, it's just silly when you look at it with any kind of perspective. The fact is that it would be really easy for Lucasfilm to put both versions in the same set without too much trouble. I have several films with multiple edits and cuts on my shelf.

There's a fine line between being an artist and a whore(which seems to be what a lot of his most voracious "fans" want him to become.)

As far as praising him as an artist (as opposed to a whore) for his gumption on this issue, I think that's a bit more praise than is deserved. By that rationale, your assuming that offering the original cut of the films would have cost fans more money. I say it could easily be done. If the Aliens box can retail at $80 with 9 discs (including 2 cuts of 4 films + extras), why couldn't SW offer a similar value?

And really... the guy sells Star Wars sheets, underoos, comics, books, toothbrushes, Taco Bell cups, Burger King glasses, and a million other products... if you think us voracious "fans" who want to watch an older cut of a movie would be the difference between artist and whore, then you really have some priorities out of whack, Maxie.

If you really don't like the Special Editions, then get the bootlegs. Its no sweat off George Lucas' or his loyal fans' backs.

Done and done. Actually, now I have both versions. Which is all I ever wanted. B))

"Just been watching the "Making the Episode III Game" feature on the Bonus Disc. Would the LucasArts employee who has the Linn Minmei poster on their office wall like to stand up and be counted on Macross World, please?"

I don't have a DVD rom on my PC.

Can we get screencaps of that scene?

As far as praising him as an artist (as opposed to a whore) for his gumption on this issue, I think that's a bit more praise than is deserved. By that rationale, your assuming that offering the original cut of the films would have cost fans more money. I say it could easily be done. If the Aliens box can retail at $80 with 9 discs (including 2 cuts of 4 films + extras), why couldn't SW offer a similar value?

And really... the guy sells Star Wars sheets, underoos, comics, books, toothbrushes, Taco Bell cups, Burger King glasses, and a million other products... if you think us voracious "fans" who want to watch an older cut of a movie would be the difference between artist and whore, then you really have some priorities out of whack, Maxie.

Ok, I take back what I thought. Blaine, you at least DO know what you're talking about but you were harsh on Max. You should have just let him think whatever he wants like I did because that's how some Star Wars fans are. Hell, they are all over the net today.

And you see Jem, that just goes to show how little you know about my level of Star Wars fandom.

I honestly don't like any of the movies that much. I'm just pointing out how funny it is that everyone states how much they dislike them then the assorted merchandise sells like hotcakes. He goes back and changes his movies how he likes, I think its his right. Just because you don't think that way, doesn't make me a rabid Lucas fan. Being a woman, I would think that you wouldn't appreciate being put into a box like that. Plus, I do like Robotech, but that has nothing to do with it.

Yo Blaine, I'm talking about the films themselves. Read the thread title... this isn't "Star Wars DVD and other assorted merchandise discussion." I realize that GL has totally embraced "whoring out" his property, but that's the way the system works... and people are still buying it... despite what a relatively small bunch of internet nerds think. I am referring to him sticking to the "one last time" thingie and not pulling a Disney(yet) and the longer he does it the more I'll respect him for it. I do see where you're coming from, but I'm not about to go back and change what I wrote because yeah... the artist sticking to principle. It WOULD be easy to sell a million copies of the original... if that's what he wanted to do... but it isn't. If he really feels that strongly about it, then I can live without the originals(frankly I like the SE's better).

EDIT: Forget it. There's no point with dealing with blind Lucas fans just like there's no point in dealing with Robotechies.

Blind to what? Thinking that I have some magical power to make someone that already has my money do what I want? I'm suprised to hear that coming from you Jemmers, is it <insert stereotypical problem for your demographic here>? You could easily replace "Macross fan" in that statement too Jem, as several members have pointed out earlier.

So yeah, excuse me if I'm more than a little sick of hearing people bitch and moan for years about things made for kids. You're over 14, they don't want you anymore.

And you see Jem, that just goes to show how little you know about my level of Star Wars fandom.

Thanks, that explains alot.

I honestly don't like any of the movies that much. I'm just pointing out how funny it is that everyone states how much they dislike them then the assorted merchandise sells like hotcakes. He goes back and changes his movies how he likes, I think its his right. Just because you don't think that way, doesn't make me a rabid Lucas fan. Being a woman, I would think that you wouldn't appreciate being put into a box like that. Plus, I do like Robotech, but that has nothing to do with it.

I hope you don't REALLY believe that's the only reason he changed it. Like I told BSU elsewhere, don't give me any artistic integrity BS. This coming from someone who learned way more than she needed to know from the man himself and has come to regret it. Resulting in a difficult time enjoying a childhood fandom.

I use Robotechies (diehard RT fans) because they always manage to find a way to justify the changes whether good or bad. In the end things for creative and artistic purposes have NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. ZIP to do with it.

EDIT: For the record I was never that big of a Star Wars fan either but more of a fan of Darth Vader's character.

Edited by Jemstone

Thanks, that explains alot.

I hope you don't REALLY believe that's the only reason he changed it. Like I told BSU elsewhere, don't give me any artistic integrity BS. This coming from someone who learned way more than she needed to know from the man himself and has come to regret it. Resulting in a difficult time enjoying a childhood fandom.

I use Robotechies (diehard RT fans) because they always manage to find a way to justify the changes whether good or bad. In the end things for creative and artistic purposes have NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. ZIP to do with it.

EDIT: For the record I was never that big of a Star Wars fan either but more of a fan of Darth Vader's character.

So what do you think his reason is? Whatever it is, is it not his choice what to do with it? Just as it is your choice not to buy it. Well, when you put Robotechie that way, then I am not. In any case, I hope I cleared things up.

Its not even artistic... its ownership... something I am a firm believer in. He's pretty much already won... you people don't like it? Don't buy it... simple as that. I haven't even bought em yet... I intend to... but not right this second.

I haven't and won't be buying the set (consideirng the shoddy packaging that maybe the way to go). However, you're right that he does own it and can do whatever he pleases with it. Just like how I'm not buying it. Oh and neither am I getting a bootleg if that's what anyone's thinking.

Just got the set and opened it up. The ANH disc seems to have encoding problems during Chapter 26. I ran through this chapter on three players.. a Panasonic, an Xbox and a PS2. All three of them experienced the problems at the same points. Macroblocking, freezing, etc. I haven't watched the entire disc, though I suspect that the entire first pressing may have these issues. I inspected the disc and it's free of any visible defects or damage, so this does appear to be an encoding problem.

Would any of you who also have your Star Wars sets mind helping me verify these issues? Check out Chapter 26 on ANH and see what you can find, please.

Looks like I'm going to have to return these and wait for a second pressing. Damn. :angry:

Yo Blaine, I'm talking about the films themselves. Read the thread title... this isn't "Star Wars DVD and other assorted merchandise discussion." I realize that GL has totally embraced "whoring out" his property, but that's the way the system works... and people are still buying it... despite what a relatively small bunch of internet nerds think. I am referring to him sticking to the "one last time" thingie and not pulling a Disney(yet) and the longer he does it the more I'll respect him for it. I do see where you're coming from, but I'm not about to go back and change what I wrote because yeah... the artist sticking to principle. It WOULD be easy to sell a million copies of the original... if that's what he wanted to do... but it isn't. If he really feels that strongly about it, then I can live without the originals(frankly I like the SE's better).

I can see your viewpoint, Max. Like I said earlier, it is refreshing to see him stick to his guns on the issue, even if I totally disagree with it.

So yeah, excuse me if I'm more than a little sick of hearing people bitch and moan for years about things made for kids. You're over 14, they don't want you anymore.

I think this is what it all really boils down to.

Essentially, I cannot really believe that all of the grief being dished out from the pro-SE standpoint is because you guys really, really, really hate the original versions of the movie and want to see it left behind on crappy old VHS tapes.

Basically, you're all just sick of hearing people complain about something that doesn't matter to you. It's not as though having both versions in the same set would be a "bad" thing, it's just not a big deal to you.

I can respect that too. But it still doesn't change the fact that I want to watch Han shoot first and see an old white guy ghost instead of a young white guy ghost.

But if you guys continue to jump down the throats of anybody who says, "gee, I think that change kinda sucks" then we're all gonna just go 'round in circles here.

Here are the facts:

1. There is not a single buyer of the Star Wars DVD set that would be bothered if it came with both versions of the films. Except maybe George Lucas.

2. No matter how much I think that sucks, the guy's got a right to do what he wants to.

Neither of these to things qualifies GL as an artist or a whore. Just a goob who hit the nerd jackpot in 1977. ;)

Just got the set and opened it up. The ANH disc seems to have encoding problems during Chapter 26. I ran through this chapter on three players.. a Panasonic, an Xbox and a PS2. All three of them experienced the problems at the same points. Macroblocking, freezing, etc. I haven't watched the entire disc, though I suspect that the entire first pressing may have these issues. I inspected the disc and it's free of any visible defects or damage, so this does appear to be an encoding problem.

Would any of you who also have your Star Wars sets mind helping me verify these issues? Check out Chapter 26 on ANH and see what you can find, please.

Looks like I'm going to have to return these and wait for a second pressing. Damn. :angry:

I can verify that you are not having problems with your player. I'm having the same problem. There is also problems with not hearing the soundtrack in the background, especially in the Death Star battle. You can barely hear the music at all, and that is with it being set on all ranges. And all those purple flashes when something explodes is getting to be really annoying. What the hell is up with that?