Jump to content

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

If I die after having children, I would want my Macross collection to pass on to my kids.

If I die before having children, hmmm..... I am not sure what I would want to happen. My fiance is not a Macross fan. Maybe donate to charity?  

How about selling to member here at cost and donate the proceeds? ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My only wish is to see the Vermillion Squad and DYRL Skull Squad completed for DX before I die.  Hear that Bandai?!  I've put up with way too much crap on the SSPs not to see that happen with DRYL, and Vermillion needs to happen because Kakizaki matters!!!!

So someone better see to it for me if I'm not alive to see these releases complete.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, in my estimation, I've spent around $20-21k on all Macross toy related purchases... ugh...

So that is an average of over $1100/year since I started collecting. Wasn't so bad back then. The Yamato 1/48's were around 120-130 and even the VF-1 1/60 v2 could be had for less than 100 back in the day. But now we're looking at $250 minimum for Arcadia stuff and Bandai is edging toward 19k minimum for the 1/60 DX toys, with many way over that, especially since it's near impossible to get things at MSRP these days. So if I were to graph my spending per year, it would look more like an exponential growth curve...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vladykins said:

You are not allowed to die because 1) we'd miss you and 2) our pocketbooks couldn't afford it.

3) How else will we get the valks we want? As soon as you buy 3 of an existing Yamato version or pay someone to make you 3 out of an existing DX version, Bandai announces their version.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

A. Figure out how to transform your Valks and other things back to the "In The Box" mode to sell them ..(I'm thinking the SV-262 DX will be a fun one to watch them do from the afterlife or the blood drawing VF-17 Yamato)

Both of those would be very fun to watch. Mental note: leave my SV-262 and VF-17 to a relative I don't really like, but include a note saying that they're extremely valuable and the sales price goes way up if they are transformed back to fighter mode. Two months and several band-aids later....

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk about passing down collections reminded me of this thought I have that to whomever it gets passed down, will they really find value (sentimental or percieved monetary) in these things? My thinking here is, once the generation that grew up adoring these stuff passes on, the perceived value goes down drastically. In the end it's just junk for somebody and they need to get rid off. Can you really see your kids in their adulthood thinking these are heirlooms, worth a fortune, and will be passed on to their kids and so on? I bet if and when they try selling them, it will be difficult to find somebody willing to pay a decent amount for them. Factor in that they would have lots of baggage in life to deal with and organizing/keeping these toys end up at the bottom of their to do list. Ok, let's say they end up following your footsteps and be a collector as well. I would say that the collectors of that generation will put more value on something they grew up with (Pokemon maybe?). Much like when I see those vintage 1960-70s Poppy toys, I would say cool but I'm not buying any of those even if I have the money.

It reminds me of a watch my dad left behind when he passed away. It has perceived monetary value to it but more on the lower end. I'm not wearing it because it's not my style. I haven't had it undergo maintenance or serviced yet and I haven't stored it in a self winding machine as it has an automatic movement. I'm keeping it as a remembrance of him. Imagine though, if he left behind boxes and boxes of these watches. I barely have space for my toys as it is and most likely I'll sell those watches instead of keeping them. Maybe I'll put some effort selling some for top dollar but probably most of it will be a bargain. 

 

I guess at the end of it all, just open up all your valks (and other toys) and play with them. Enjoy them as much as you can. If you do plan on selling, just make sure to do it and sell it to @sqidd before he enters retirement or dies. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crackpot said:

I guess at the end of it all, just open up all your valks (and other toys) and play with them. Enjoy them as much as you can. If you do plan on selling, just make sure to do it and sell it to @sqidd before he enters retirement or dies. :D

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

We need a Macross museum we can donate our stuff to.

 

6 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Oooooh there ya go!

@sqidd you seem to have the space based on your display cases.  I vote for him!

Nope... Give it to @tekering and @kkx:lol:

They both can make a designated huge museum of Macross related items plus extra bonus goodies with their stuff combined. 

A bottle of whiskey/rye/vodka (a la Jack Daniels/Hibiki/Bushmills/Crown Royal, etc) can be a extra donation. 

Drinking game for the weekend anyone? :drinks:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 9:02 PM, Slave IV said:

Everyone talking about SSP from NY...anyone get their second run Missile sets from them yet? I ordered one of each as backup from NY and I’m not worried about getting them but just curious. 

Did you contact NY of your SSP order?  I contacted them to downgrade the shipping to Ferry so that they can ship my order and be on it's way but then they said they still can't ship it out because they didn't receive all of their SSP stocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crackpot said:

All this talk about passing down collections reminded me of this thought I have that to whomever it gets passed down, will they really find value (sentimental or percieved monetary) in these things? My thinking here is, once the generation that grew up adoring these stuff passes on, the perceived value goes down drastically. In the end it's just junk for somebody and they need to get rid off. Can you really see your kids in their adulthood thinking these are heirlooms, worth a fortune, and will be passed on to their kids and so on? I bet if and when they try selling them, it will be difficult to find somebody willing to pay a decent amount for them. Factor in that they would have lots of baggage in life to deal with and organizing/keeping these toys end up at the bottom of their to do list. Ok, let's say they end up following your footsteps and be a collector as well. I would say that the collectors of that generation will put more value on something they grew up with (Pokemon maybe?). Much like when I see those vintage 1960-70s Poppy toys, I would say cool but I'm not buying any of those even if I have the money.

It reminds me of a watch my dad left behind when he passed away. It has perceived monetary value to it but more on the lower end. I'm not wearing it because it's not my style. I haven't had it undergo maintenance or serviced yet and I haven't stored it in a self winding machine as it has an automatic movement. I'm keeping it as a remembrance of him. Imagine though, if he left behind boxes and boxes of these watches. I barely have space for my toys as it is and most likely I'll sell those watches instead of keeping them. Maybe I'll put some effort selling some for top dollar but probably most of it will be a bargain. 

 

I guess at the end of it all, just open up all your valks (and other toys) and play with them. Enjoy them as much as you can. If you do plan on selling, just make sure to do it and sell it to @sqidd before he enters retirement or dies. :D

All good points that I've thought about. Part of why I'm already introducing my kids to my toys...Letting them play with and learn how to handle high end stuff. So far, they love my collection. I also started finding stuff I have stored away to give them as gifts on Christmas, Birthdays and whenever I feel like hooking them up. I do realize a lot of the stuff will become a burden if I am gone but at that point, I'm gone so they can give it or throw it away at that point if that's what they want to do.

58 minutes ago, SIAQ said:

Did you contact NY of your SSP order?  I contacted them to downgrade the shipping to Ferry so that they can ship my order and be on it's way but then they said they still can't ship it out because they didn't receive all of their SSP stocks.

Nope, I don't care enough to bother asking yet. If in a couple more months, some orders that I do want delivered have not moved, I might reach out and see what's up at that point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure why the DX 1/48 thread got turned into the "when I die I want my collection to..." thread.  For my part, my collection probably doesn't even top $10k (small potatoes in comparison), but I've only been at it for a little over three years (for modern stuff).  My son has shown a passing interest in the stuff, but I don't really care a whole lot what happens to it, one way or another.  I bought it for my enjoyment, that's kind of the beginning and end of it, really.

I would say that I think, generally speaking, the interest/obsession with toys/models will largely die with "our generation (kids born in the 70s and 80s, maybe early 90s)."  Of course there will be exceptions to this, I'm not saying no one born post 2000 will ever have an interest in physical collectibles.  I just think the market will be ridiculously small, to the point that it will either be even more "boutique" than it is now, or it simply isn't a mass-produced consumer product anymore.

Tying that together, and in an attempt to put things marginally back on topic, it could be that this line (DX 1/48) is the last mass-produced VF-1 line that really advances the design in any kind of significant way (or maybe one more generation gets mass-produced).  While I do believe there will always be a "next generation" VF-1, I do think that we're getting to the point where the advancements are so marginal, and the interest so niche, that the next truly innovative VF-1 design will be something analogous to a "garage kit" today, that is designed by a small indy studio.  And you may have to 3D print and assemble it yourself.

Maybe we're not there yet, but in another 20 years...?  Perhaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Tying that together, and in an attempt to put things marginally back on topic, it could be that this line (DX 1/48) is the last mass-produced VF-1 line that really advances the design in any kind of significant way (or maybe one more generation gets mass-produced).  While I do believe there will always be a "next generation" VF-1, I do think that we're getting to the point where the advancements are so marginal, and the interest so niche, that the next truly innovative VF-1 design will be something analogous to a "garage kit" today, that is designed by a small indy studio.  And you may have to 3D print and assemble it yourself.

I think there's still room for big innovations. Range of shoulder movement can still be improved (ability to move towards the midline vertically and horizontally) and implement a slight ab crunch. KC has double jointed knees which can be implemented to the DX and works well on a naked valk. 

Edited by crackpot
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep as much as i enjoying reading about inheritance of Macross collections (i have little kids and wonder the same), lets keep on topic and discuss strictly DX VF-1 please. 

would love to see a separate thread on collection inheritance. 

Here’s an on topic subject that has been annoying me recently. Why did Bandai design 1 side of the DX box upside down... its consistent with 1J and 1A Max...

B54658C6-3975-44C8-8C3C-8D7D8A23AF39.jpeg.8ceb8dc70f049db8df575b455618c8c3.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of several reasons.

1) So that no matter which way the box is sitting, there's at least one side with the right orientation

2) To annoy or cause distress to people with OCD

3) Someone f*cked up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I can think of several reasons.

1) So that no matter which way the box is sitting, there's at least one side with the right orientation

2) To annoy or cause distress to people with OCD

3) Someone f*cked up.

Probably all three. #3 came first, then Bandai had to cover for the mistake with #1. #2 is a bonus, with them knowing how much it annoys collectors who complained about the mistake. Just like the reversed modex numbers on the vertical stabilizer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sjoebarry said:

FINALLY got my strike parts from NY, and I just realized you can’t use the special display stand that came with the launch edition. :angry:

I believe that this is the tread that might help you.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/48487-gauging-interest-for-acrylic-display-stands-for-ssp-and-missiles/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rogueload said:

Social distancing please!! Lol

Ahhhh, remember the good ol days when you jam yourself into a crowd of people? Oh wait, I never really liked that anyway.:unknw::D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, you got me to go out and count up some numbers. Looks like $12k or so on display, just in Macross stuff.

Plus about 2-3x as much in storage. Oof, that's worse than I expected.

 

That $90K isn't all Macross. I've got quite the Super Robot, robot, a few Optiums Primes and some movie replica stuff going on too. With some pretty tasty grails.;)

Macross is $35,595.24. Yes, I have a spreadsheet.:p

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

My only wish is to see the Vermillion Squad and DYRL Skull Squad completed for DX before I die.  Hear that Bandai?!  I've put up with way too much crap on the SSPs not to see that happen with DRYL, and Vermillion needs to happen because Kakizaki matters!!!!

So someone better see to it for me if I'm not alive to see these releases complete.

I was not planing on filling those out. But, if you croak I will do it for you.:wub: You wife has to sell me your VT and VE Chunkies though.:D

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I need to put together a spreadsheet, and buy insurance for my collection (and my firearms, as they're explicitly not covered under homeowner's policy).

Yes, you absolutely need to do this. The toy insurance is easy. I go through these guys: https://collectinsure.com/

My homeowners covers firearms but I had to schedule all of them. Which meant getting them appraised. That was a bit of a PITA.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

We need a Macross museum we can donate our stuff to.

 

6 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Oooooh there ya go!

@sqidd you seem to have the space based on your display cases.  I vote for him!

5 hours ago, borgified said:

 

Nope... Give it to @tekering and @kkx:lol:

They both can make a designated huge museum of Macross related items plus extra bonus goodies with their stuff combined. 

A bottle of whiskey/rye/vodka (a la Jack Daniels/Hibiki/Bushmills/Crown Royal, etc) can be a extra donation. 

Drinking game for the weekend anyone? :drinks:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the wolds most complete Macross museum was in the US?......................................Where you can only get Robotech stuff.:rolleyes:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

all this talk got me thinking about taking out insurance, except maybe i don't want to account for the total spend i've put into this collecting hobby.

initially started with Macross, but now i doubt they're bulk of the value. only a few i think will make it to the most valuable shortlist. perhaps the Banpresto Sheryl or maybe the Kairos.

this also got me thinking why i wouldn't bat an eyelash about a $400+ Hot Toys or Fewture item, but i would be wringing my hands about pulling the trigger on a scalped Macross DX that costs the same or even less? i've thought several times about just ignoring SRP and save myself some stress, but still i struggle. sigh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, borgified said:

 

Nope... Give it to @tekering and @kkx:lol:

They both can make a designated huge museum of Macross related items plus extra bonus goodies with their stuff combined. 

A bottle of whiskey/rye/vodka (a la Jack Daniels/Hibiki/Bushmills/Crown Royal, etc) can be a extra donation. 

Drinking game for the weekend anyone? :drinks:

My only notable contribution the the museum will be the 1/72 Monster. But I will need to build that first. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, Kyp Durron said:

I don't blame you one bit, as you know, I ended up getting a Hikaru DYRL VF-1S because I wanted one in hand before I get my Roy (Assuming Nin-Nin comes through). Despite the issues with the arms not locking solidly in fighter mode, it is very detailed and looks good on it's stand. 

Haha thanks, I had my eye on for a while pulled the trigger from mandarake, just arrived, first time using and so far so good. Even after bought price went up. 

 

Nice glad your dyrl Hikaru is ok. Did you get the ssp for it too? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I used to talk to a collector friend of mine about opening a collector’s museum someday. Would be pretty fun and a great way to keep it all going. 

In a way, we are all sort of Kawamori's museums. I am just glad i found you all, so we can celebrate and share these works of art.

This is, bar none, the best forum I have ever been a part of. I just want to say thanks to Graham, Shawn, and the rest of our members.

I love you guys :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

 

This is, bar none, the best forum I have ever been a part of. I just want to say thanks to Graham, Shawn, and the rest of our members.

I love you guys :wub:

Agreed. The internet has turned into a cesspool of negativity. This forum is an oasis in that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Agreed. The internet has turned into a cesspool of negativity. This forum is an oasis in that. 

I know I may sound cheesy or too sentimental, but I had to say it. I am glad you can see it too. My experiences in other forums are mostly good, and I can't complain. The love i see here though, it is pretty spectacular.

I had a long night at work... Everyone is wearing masks, and the morale is not great. I work for a hospital, and my job has become more challenging with this f****** covid19. I don't even want to go to work anymore, if i am honest. Just a bit down right now, and you guys are lift me up. You all take care out there, and use your masks. The war is not over yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I know I may sound cheesy or too sentimental, but I had to say it. I am glad you can see it too. My experiences in other forums are mostly good, and I can't complain. The love i see here though, it is pretty spectacular.

I had a long night at work... Everyone is wearing masks, and the morale is not great. I work for a hospital, and my job has become more challenging with this f****** covid19. I don't even want to go to work anymore, if i am honest. Just a bit down right now, and you guys are lift me up. You all take care out there, and use your masks. The war is not over yet. 

I look forward to checking my notifications first thing when I get up every day and then hanging out here while I sip my coffee. This is a fun little club.

I have a FB page that is mostly used as a business driver and it was really good for a while. Then one the member count got up over 3000 the a holes started to get in. I have been banning bad actors for a few weeks now to get back to what it used to be. Respectful people acting like adults.

Stay safe at work my man. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. That's a rough gig right now. I have never been more grateful to work from home (been doing it since 2006) than right now. I go days without leaving the house. And when I do is generally to go mountain biking. Not many people out in the middle of the woods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I look forward to checking my notifications first thing when I get up every day and then hanging out here while I sip my coffee. This is a fun little club.

I have a FB page that is mostly used as a business driver and it was really good for a while. Then one the member count got up over 3000 the a holes started to get in. I have been banning bad actors for a few weeks now to get back to what it used to be. Respectful people acting like adults.

Stay safe at work my man. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. That's a rough gig right now. I have never been more grateful to work from home (been doing it since 2006) than right now. I go days without leaving the house. And when I do is generally to go mountain biking. Not many people out in the middle of the woods.

I need a job like yours...

I am only a sleep tech. The pay is meh, specially since our Pt's have to be screened for covid19, before we can have them. Work completely stopped, and now we are slowly opening up again. We all have to wear masks, and i have to say the moral is not great some days. I am somewhat lucky, since i am not in the ED/ER or the ICU. Much respect to those heroes. I am only the guy who connects wires to patients, record the studies, and treat them if the  are (OSA)sleep apnea positive. I live in TX and we have are having lots of patients in our hospital. Sadly, I think the super slow response from our leadership played a devastating role in this pandemic. Trump calling this pandemic a hoax for weeks, plus his tweeter messages supporting those who thought wearing a mask was against their rights. Having rallies in the middle of a pandemic and not enforcing masks, was something completely obtuse, and careless.

I hold no alliance to no parties, and I am not going to start a political fight here. The fact of the matter is, science is the reason we have anything in this world. We must always follow science to solve problems. I have no idea why we didn't enforce the quarantine, and we why we opened too soon. Science warned trump about not letting the curve of infection lower sufficiently down, before opening. Science told trump to test more, and start contact tracing. Now it is impossible to contact trace, since we have way too many infected. Trump wont listen and drives me crazy. He tried to discredit science(Dr Fauci and others), and now he found a "Doctor" who believes in spirit sex? Demon sex? I mean, SERIOUSLY? I feel sick by just typing this. Closing our pandemic offices overseas was also an incredibly stupid move.

Ok, i am sorry. I am terribly frustrated....

Back on topic, here is another DX pic. Those are the best hands of any production valk to date.

20200801_110319.jpg.19c0d394ea2dc1d97c29a5a405d25c4d.jpg

 

Edited by vlenhoff
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd share my latest project. I decided, since we're going to be dealing with this COVID situation for a while, that I'd finally pick up a vinyl cutting machine and teach myself how to use it. When I put together the DX decal sheet recently, I drafted the Bandai skull at high resolution. Now I can do fun things with it like this, at any size I want and on any adhesive material I want. This one is matte white. Apologies for the dirty black car. It rained yesterday. Priority was getting the sticker cut and placed on the window. :D

754206801_skullsample.jpg.07b55110de4ba289643bc508a56ff06c.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it on the inside of the window? 

I still have the good ol' Macross kite in my car. I got it in these forums, and 3 of my cars have worn this kite. Maybe i could use a skull 001 on the opposite window!

My car shares the red white and black Hikkie colors :P

macrosskite.thumb.jpg.244ea2d77369759219d101059cbff011.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...