Gah, is still want that Mega House Cosmo Zero you can see behind the Cosmo Fleet Special Andromeda. It was announced so long ago and then nothing...

Chris

I just wish they'd stop with that "Yamato Girls" line and make a line of smaller figures with other characters. If they made a line of Gashapon-like figures with more of the crew and main characters, they'd sell like hot cakes.

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Would they really though? there's a lot more people who want cute girls than some old dude.

What is cute, is in the eye of the beholder methinks. 

Anyway, I think MegaHouse should have gone full steam ahead and released all the Yamato Guys that they teased. They had Kodai, Desler, Wolf Frakken... I also wish they had released a certain iconic female charcater: Starsha.

It wouldn't have been difficult to release the main 2199 cast while also releasing the beautiful pin-up Yamato Girls that they did. Just another missed opportunity, I guess. I hope we get more variety with the S.H. Figuarts releases.

I totally forgot that they never released Starsha; a wasted opportunity indeed.  They could've had her posed with her hand on her belly, the way we last saw her in '99 when it was implied that she got knocked up by whats-his-face...

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh.. I think that Zero might even be smaller than 1/72... :huh: 

Edit:  Yeah, the 1/72 kit is 9.5 inches... 200 mm isn't even 8 inches long.

Pre-painted silver is nice, but that is a lot for something so tiny.  And I actually kinda prefer them painted in a semi-gloss gray.

Edited by Chronocidal

Very beautiful, but NEEDS MORE TURRETS lol.

But wait, if THAT'S a dreadnought, then what class of ship is the Andromeda?

14 hours ago, myk said:

Very beautiful, but NEEDS MORE TURRETS lol.

But wait, if THAT'S a dreadnought, then what class of ship is the Andromeda?

Specifically, it needs MANY MORE AA turrets. Fighters will have a field day with those ships, always was bothered by those designs. As far as I'm concerned, the Yamato is the most COMPLETE ship in the fleet, has virtually every contingency covered.

3 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

Specifically, it needs MANY MORE AA turrets. Fighters will have a field day with those ships, always was bothered by those designs. As far as I'm concerned, the Yamato is the most COMPLETE ship in the fleet, has virtually every contingency covered.

Agreed, as much as I like/love the Andromeda and Dreadnaughts, they al seem very under gunned/protected.

Chris

3 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

30 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Agreed, as much as I like/love the Andromeda and Dreadnaughts, they al seem very under gunned/protected.

Chris

The Andromeda has a total of 42 (16 on the bulge amidships, 10 on the underside, and 16 to the side of the conning tower) missile launchers that can double as AA duty.  Yamato only has 16, 8 in the "smokestack" and 8 on the underside.  It also has 4 pulse laser turrets (2 double-mounts around the bridge and 2 triple-mounts beside the conning tower) as well as a triple-mount dispersion pulse laser behind the conning tower (it's the bulge with 3 openings behind the bridge and in front of the 3rd turret). The Andromeda seems to be taking a more modern approach to AA, by spamming missiles as opposed to the Yamato's WW2 approach by spamming guns.

In addition to the positron shock cannons, the Andromeda has 8 anti-ship grenade launchers on the upper bulge in front of front turret as well as 6 beam projectors on each side of the conning tower (the grey openings).  The Andromeda also has 8 total subspace torpedo tubes (the bulges under the front turret with 2 openings) in addition to its 4 rapid-fire torpedo tubes (on the nose), 8 small torpedo tubes (above and below the fin), and 16 short torpedo tubes.  The Yamato only has 12 torpedo tubes (6 in the bow, 6 in the aft) and 16 short torpedo tubes.

The Andromeda also has the same fighter complement as the Yamato, minus the Cosmo Zeroes.  All-in-all, the Andromeda looks to be on-paper superior to the Yamato in almost every way.

On paper the new Cosmo Navy ships seems better, but when looking at the ships not so much.  I get that the Andromeda's weapons seem to be more internal than external, which is a convenient way to get around the limitations of the lineart, but when I look at visuals of the ships I hope to see something bristling with weaponry; not porcupine bristling but just...ready.  I  know it's shallow to think so, but to me outward looks are everything...

9 minutes ago, myk said:

On paper the new Cosmo Navy ships seems better, but when looking at the ships not so much.  I get that the Andromeda's weapons seem to be more internal than external, which is a convenient way to get around the limitations of the lineart, but when I look at visuals of the ships I hope to see something bristling with weaponry; not porcupine bristling but just...ready.  I  know it's shallow to think so, but to me outward looks are everything...

^This.

Well, there is always the possibility of adding on to one of the Anrdomeda model kits with IJN spare parts like anti aircraft batteries and the like. There's a gorgeous Andromeda in one of the Space Battleship Yamato Hobby Japan special "mook"s where a  person named Naoki Kimura did a very elegant upgrade of the older 1/700 scale Andromeda kits including building up and stretching the central superstructure. Here's a link with some of the models shown in the book (you need to scroll down almost all the way to the bottom to see the Andromeda but there is also a very cool Andromeda based heavy carrier along the way so...)

http://www.books-wasabi.com/product/292

if you'd like more shots of the Kimura Andromeda build, I have the book and can probably scan out some of the pictures that don't spread across both pages. Let me know.

definitely gives ideas on how to subtly tweak the design and upgrade the ship while keeping the overall lines and silhouette

5 hours ago, Johannes Huber said:

Well, there is always the possibility of adding on to one of the Anrdomeda model kits with IJN spare parts like anti aircraft batteries and the like. There's a gorgeous Andromeda in one of the Space Battleship Yamato Hobby Japan special "mook"s where a  person named Naoki Kimura did a very elegant upgrade of the older 1/700 scale Andromeda kits including building up and stretching the central superstructure. Here's a link with some of the models shown in the book (you need to scroll down almost all the way to the bottom to see the Andromeda but there is also a very cool Andromeda based heavy carrier along the way so...)

http://www.books-wasabi.com/product/292

if you'd like more shots of the Kimura Andromeda build, I have the book and can probably scan out some of the pictures that don't spread across both pages. Let me know.

definitely gives ideas on how to subtly tweak the design and upgrade the ship while keeping the overall lines and silhouette

Yes please, that would be great!

It may also be that Andromeda and the rest of Earth's  ships were designed to operate in groups, where as Yamato was specifically designed to operate alone.  

Kind of like a modern battle group, where destroyers and cruisers are there to protect carriers,  but the carriers provide the primary offense of punch in the form of its fighter groups. 

And the Yamato  operated more like a fast attack sub, alone and  on a mission by itself.  Which is what the crux of the series was all about anyways. 

It's because their strategical difference.
The group ships look long-distance-attack oriented using the Wave Motion Guns.
On the other hand, the Yamato uses both the main guns, the Wave Motion guns and, in addition, the pulse laser guns and its fighter planes for melee battles.