Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Does anyone know how many DLC costumes are planned for Spider-Man?  There's a ton of costumes missing that they could have used.  Off the top of my head...

  Hide contents

House of M Spider-Man


Symbiote Spider-Man
Spider Armor Mk. I
Superior Spider-Man
Scarlet Spider (not the one in the game, the hooded one he had for all of three issues)
Scarlet Spider (Kane)
Iron Spider (not the one from Infinity War, the one from the comics)
Spider-Man (Ben Reilly)
Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
Spider-Man (Future Foundation)
Bag-Man
Captain Universe
Spider-Man Unlimited

I'm complaining because some of those suits are really cool, but at least they put my favorite suit in the game.

  Hide contents

That'd be the black and white Spider-Man 2099 suit.

 

You mentioned all the costumes I would love to see in this new game as DLC. Love to see both Tobey’s and Andrew’s costume there too. It would be much awesome though if they include these as well out of nostalgia sake. ^_^ 

Spoiler

67810F09-7D7B-4EE7-B158-37572B1F6081.jpeg.8cbccbf896e02199bde7dc0f191f1e2d.jpeg

14B3F79A-BAEA-409E-9371-B6A89552E4DB.jpeg.36eb016eeff68b69581716d7eafbd236.jpeg

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

You mentioned all the costumes I would love to see in this new game as DLC. Love to see both Tobey’s and Andrew’s costume there too. It would be much awesome though if they include these as well out of nostalgia sake. ^_^

I wouldn't mind any of those four costumes, either.  But-

Between the Classic suit, the ripped version of the Classic suit, the Homecoming... er, "Stark" suit, the Vintage suit, and (debatably) the Spider-Armor Mk IV there's already a couple of suits that are riffs on Spidey's classic threads, so if push came to shove I'd rather stuff from my list get done first.

I also don't mind saying that I think some of the suits on my list should have had higher priority than suits that actually made it into the game.

I mean, we've got not one but four-ish original suits crafted for the game (the Negative Suit is clearly a negative of the Advanced Suit, not the Negative Zone Suit from the comics) Five, if we're counting not-yet-released DLC.  We've got the Dark Suit, which appeared in one issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool, instead of the iconic symbiote suit.  We've got the Fear Itself Suit, which didn't appear until the last issue of the miniseries, but not Kaine's Scarlet Spider suit despite him having it for 25 issues of his own series (plus crossover issues with Venom, the Alpha and Omega issues of Minimum Carnage, New Warriors, Spider-Verse, Dead No More, and now the ongoing Ben Reily: The Scarlet Spider series).  We've got the Last Stand suit that appeared in one issue of ASM plus the Spider-Verse, but not the Superior Spider-Man costume he wore in 16 issues of Superior Spider-Man (plus four issues of Superior Carnage, 11 issues of Superior Spider-Man Team Up, and who knows what else).  You get the idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.  It's not too hard to get enough Challenge Tokens to buy the costumes you really want, but it's pretty hard to get enough to buy all of the costumes.  And that's the only trophy between me and platinum for Spider-Man...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Ugh.  It's not too hard to get enough Challenge Tokens to buy the costumes you really want, but it's pretty hard to get enough to buy all of the costumes.  And that's the only trophy between me and platinum for Spider-Man...

Funny enough I nailed my platinum trophy just last night. I stupidly blew a ton of challenge tokens on fully upgrading my gadgets, not knowing there wasn't a trophy for that, and then I didn't have enough to buy the last few costumes. I wrapped the costumes up and just had to high five a few people on the street and I was good to go.

I ended up getting silver on the two challenges I had only gotten bronze on, then I redid all of the stealth challenges to gold, which was INCREDIBLY easy. Seriously, if you're hurting for challenge tokens, did you gold the stealth challenges yet? Getting gold nabs you three challenge tokens, I had silver on each stealth challenge, but then looked up some videos that pointed out the key to a high score is your combo meter.

At first I was going around stealth choking guys and shooting occasional impact and trip mine webs, turns out, you should be using gadget web and not using stealth take downs AT ALL, just use the instant KO web zip punch. As soon as I stopped stealth take downs and started using the KO zip, I literally aced each stealth to gold in my first attempt, I earned 2 tokens over what I needed and got my platinum. The combo meter ends quick so the name of the game is webzip KO as many guys as fast as possible, which as I said, is really easy, just go for isolated guys, and if there are groups, trip mine one with time slowed mid air then webzip KO his buddy.

It seems that's the spot you need to be to have enough challenge tokens for all the suits, silver on EVERY challenge, and gold on at least 8 of them, and if you haven't already, don't waste challenge tokens on upgrades. As I said, I highly recommend easily breaking the stealth challenges for gold, takes no time and is a cake walk. I already had gold on all bomb challenges, and several combat and one drone challenge. The most expensive suits are 6 tokens each, you get three for gold on most challenges, just two "upgraded" challenges are needed for a new suit. If stealth is already done I'd say try the bomb ones next if those aren't already gold, I only had to redo one to gold and it was pretty easy, only took me two attempts to upgrade from silver to gold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Funny enough I nailed my platinum trophy just last night. I stupidly blew a ton of challenge tokens on fully upgrading my gadgets, not knowing there wasn't a trophy for that, and then I didn't have enough to buy the last few costumes. I wrapped the costumes up and just had to high five a few people on the street and I was good to go.

I ended up getting silver on the two challenges I had only gotten bronze on, then I redid all of the stealth challenges to gold, which was INCREDIBLY easy. Seriously, if you're hurting for challenge tokens, did you gold the stealth challenges yet? Getting gold nabs you three challenge tokens, I had silver on each stealth challenge, but then looked up some videos that pointed out the key to a high score is your combo meter.

At first I was going around stealth choking guys and shooting occasional impact and trip mine webs, turns out, you should be using gadget web and not using stealth take downs AT ALL, just use the instant KO web zip punch. As soon as I stopped stealth take downs and started using the KO zip, I literally aced each stealth to gold in my first attempt, I earned 2 tokens over what I needed and got my platinum. The combo meter ends quick so the name of the game is webzip KO as many guys as fast as possible, which as I said, is really easy, just go for isolated guys, and if there are groups, trip mine one with time slowed mid air then webzip KO his buddy.

It seems that's the spot you need to be to have enough challenge tokens for all the suits, silver on EVERY challenge, and gold on at least 8 of them, and if you haven't already, don't waste challenge tokens on upgrades. As I said, I highly recommend easily breaking the stealth challenges for gold, takes no time and is a cake walk. I already had gold on all bomb challenges, and several combat and one drone challenge. The most expensive suits are 6 tokens each, you get three for gold on most challenges, just two "upgraded" challenges are needed for a new suit. If stealth is already done I'd say try the bomb ones next if those aren't already gold, I only had to redo one to gold and it was pretty easy, only took me two attempts to upgrade from silver to gold.

Good tips!  I think I've got every suit but Fear Itself and Spirit Spider, so I think I should just need 12.  I might have one or two.  The stealth challenges would help a lot, because I bronzed all but one. but that'd only get me seven tokens.  Unfortunately, when I got near the end of the game and didn't have enough tokens to buy all the suits I spent what I did have on upgrades.  Instead of torturing myself to eke out a few more golds it might honestly be easier to start a new playthrough... which, honestly, I don't think I'd mind because the game was so fun anyway.  I could always play something else for a bit (I actually started God of War III Remastered; I played GoW III on the PS3, but it was a PS+ freebie), then start a new playthrough when the DLC starts coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 6:06 PM, mikeszekely said:

Ugh.  It's not too hard to get enough Challenge Tokens to buy the costumes you really want, but it's pretty hard to get enough to buy all of the costumes.  And that's the only trophy between me and platinum for Spider-Man...

 

Buy suits before the upgrades since the challenge tokens are harder to comeby, plus the upgrades aren't tied to a trophy. 

 

Edit: And I somehow missed that someone already said that lol.

Edited by Gaijin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question guys. I found my old Intellivision system from Mattel. Do you guys know if there is anyway to get it up and running on a modern flatscreen TV? It's RF switch is one of those really old ones with the prongs you had to screw into the back of the old TVs.

 

Also if I wanted to stream the gameplay or make a recording what would I need to do to capture footage from my TV and put it on my laptop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Tking22 said:

It seems that's the spot you need to be to have enough challenge tokens for all the suits, silver on EVERY challenge, and gold on at least 8 of them

Alright, so I decided I couldn't wait to start another playthrough.  I managed to silver all the drone challenges and melee challenges on my first attempt at each, plus I silvered three of the bomb challenges and got the gold on one.  That just left the stealth challenges.  I had no trouble getting gold on two of them using your advice, but I was still silvering the other two.  But it seemed at that point like I had a lot of challenge tokens, so I decided to check it.  I called up a guide on what you need to unlock each suit and counted all the challenge tokens, and I figured you actually only need a minimum of 39 challenge tokens as long as you don't buy any gadgets or gadget upgrades that require them.  That actually works out to silvering 12 challenges and bronzing the other four.

(I'm sure Tking22 and some of the other people reading this know this already, but for those that don't there are four types of challenges, four challenges of each type.  A bronze gets you 1 token, silver gets you 2, and gold gets you 3, but you'd also retroactively get any lower-level tokens you missed when you get a better medal, so if you get a silver you actually get 3 total tokens, and a gold is actually worth 6).

So for all my complaining buying all the suits is actually pretty manageable, and you don't have to get any golds.  I just have to keep playing to get the XP and other tokens to unlock and buy the rest of the suits (just hit 31).

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Relive the moments that changed gaming forever, with ... 20 of the best games from the original PlayStation console, including ... Wild Arms."

Okay, seriously. I like Wild Arms, but it isn't one of the system's best titles, and it definitely wasn't anything close to revolutionary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was saying this elsewhere, but I might as well say it here, too.

To me the PlayStation was the beginning of the modern era of gaming. While I played mine a ton I just don't have the same nostalgia for the original PlayStation that I do for Nintendo's older consoles. As much as I loved playing games like Super Mario Bros 3 and A Link to the Past with (mostly) the original controllers on tiny replicas of the original hardware I don't really feel a huge difference between the original PlayStation hardware vs buying a PSone game from the PS3 PlayStation store.

Then there's the fact that those early 3D games didn't look so hot even at the time. I don't think time has been as kind to the PlayStation's polygons as it has the NES's sprites. Not a huge deal for some games, but for some games I'd rather play one of the more modern sequels or an HD remake.

Also, no Dual Shock? I don't know if Sony thinks that's somehow more 1995 nostalgic, but the lack of analog sticks makes playing a game like R4 so much less appealing.

Finally, that price might be a deal breaker. At $60 the NES Classic was practically an impulse buy. At $80 the SNES Classic was pushing it, but nostalgia and the strength of the included library won out. $100 might be asking too much for revisiting late '90s gaming without a Dual Shock, especially if games can't be added as easily as on Nintendo's Classics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a long shot. What do you guys think the chances that we can play online PS1 games purchased from the PSN with this PSClassic console? Would it share the same specs knowing that most classic games released on their PSN can be played with the PS3?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Then there's the fact that those early 3D games didn't look so hot even at the time. I don't think time has been as kind to the PlayStation's polygons as it has the NES's sprites.

In fairness, the Nintendo wasn't as early in the evolution of sprites as the PS was in the evolution of polygons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JB0 said:

In fairness, the Nintendo wasn't as early in the evolution of sprites as the PS was in the evolution of polygons.

That's fair, but it doesn't really change the fact that that I'm a lot more likely to play Mega Man 3 than Mega Man Legends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

This might be a long shot. What do you guys think the chances that we can play online PS1 games purchased from the PSN with this PSClassic console? Would it share the same specs knowing that most classic games released on their PSN can be played with the PS3?

 

I'd say slim to none. If Sony's too cheap to include Bluetooth functionality and an AC adapter with the PS Classic, then they're probably not going to spend money on wi-fi capabilities and an OS capable of connecting to the PSN either. Sony's probably targeting the PS Classic towards casual gamers who just want to power on the system and start playing right away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, kajnrig said:

Check out this Adam Driver-looking kid. :lol:

Adam Driver?  I'm seeing Aaron Eckhart or Viggo Mortensen.

Well, actually what I'm seeing is the proper Dante, and not Ninja Theory's imposter, and for that I'm grateful.

...I might have to get the Deluxe Edition.  That Mega Buster...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Adam Driver?  I'm seeing Aaron Eckhart or Viggo Mortensen.

Well, actually what I'm seeing is the proper Dante, and not Ninja Theory's imposter, and for that I'm grateful.

...I might have to get the Deluxe Edition.  That Mega Buster...

I was talking about the new character shown around the 2:30 mark.

 

In other gaming news, Telltale is shutting down and has laid off 90% of its team. That's a damn crying shame.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/327085/Report_The_Walking_Dead_developer_Telltale_Games_shutting_down.php

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I was talking about the new character shown around the 2:30 mark.

Oh, him.  Yeah, that definitely looks like Adam Driver.  Villain?  I'm looking forward to finding out.  And to beating stuff up with a motorcycle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought 30th Ann Street Fighter for the switch.  

 

Love that all the different versions of the games are there.  Love that the car breaking, barrel busting, and oil drum bashing are in SFII Hyper but I’m hating the thumb stick controls.  Can’t consistently pull off uppercuts.  Need a real arcade stick.  But otherwise much nostalgic fun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JB0 said:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/gaming/red-dead-redemption-2-will-have-realistic-horse-testicle-physics/

I'm just gonna drop this here. 

 

Someone at Rockstar was either  hazing the new guy, or likes horses a little too much.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was a horse breeding mechanic in the game, or in order to break a horse and ride it you need to have it gelded.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone upgraded their PS4 hard drive?

Lemme give you guys some quick background info... I've been into videogames since I was a kid with an NES, and at peak gaming I was buying literally every console.  In more recent years I've cut back and became primarily a PC gamer, but I still picked up a PS4 near launch for the PS4 exclusives and games like NHL that just never find their way to Steam.  Outside of a few launch (or close to it) games so I'd have something to try on my new toy, if a game has come out on PC that's where I played it.

Things have been changing for me over the last year, though.  We moved, and our new living room setup doesn't have the TV as uncomfortably far away as it was in my old house.  My third-gen i7 and GTX 970 are getting old enough that newer games like Far Cry 5 and Assassin's Creed Origins didn't run quite as well as I'd like, but with an upgrade out of the question until at least next year I already decided to pick up the new Assassin's Creed Odyssey for PS4.  Finally, while having a baby caused me to devote my attention to her almost constantly during waking hours, only gaming during the narrow window between the time she went to bed for the night and I did, she's three now.  While I'm still making a point of setting aside some dedicated daddy/daughter play time she's content to spend time playing with her toys by herself.  She's little enough that I can't slink off to my PC and leave her to her own devices, but she's big enough that I don't have to watch her like a hawk, either.  I can see her in her playroom from my couch.  If she's in there playing with her toys I can fire up the ol' PS4 and get a little gaming in.  Sometimes she's even curious about what I'm playing; she had opinions about what suit Spider-Man should wear, and when I played the Mega Man X collections she'd grab my spare controller and insist that I'm Mega Man and she's Zero.

Well, this spate of recent PS4 gaming has quickly filled up the PS4's stock 500GB hard drive.  And the way I see it, I've got two options.

Option 1: Buy a PS4 Pro.  In the two years or so since the Pro came out there's a lot more games that take advantage of that extra horsepower, and they come with double the storage I already have.  I could get a bundle with a game I was going to buy anyway, and sell my old PS4 to recoup some of the cost.  But is 1TB enough?  And how much extra benefit would I get out of the PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan on getting one any time soon?

Option 2: Buy a 2TB Firecuda.  2TB should be plenty of storage, and people have reported getting significantly better install and load times due to it being a 7200RPM hybrid drive (since the PS4's interface is only SATA II a pure SSD seems like a waste).  Like I said, I don't have a 4K TV.  Nor does my TV support HDR.  So if I don't really need a Pro, this should be the cheaper option.  I've still got that little niggle, though, that's telling me that $90 for a Firecuda is $90 I could put toward a Pro, that 1TB is probably enough for me, and getting the Pro is better future proofing.

Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Option 1: Buy a PS4 Pro.  In the two years or so since the Pro came out there's a lot more games that take advantage of that extra horsepower, and they come with double the storage I already have.  I could get a bundle with a game I was going to buy anyway, and sell my old PS4 to recoup some of the cost.  But is 1TB enough?  And how much extra benefit would I get out of the PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan on getting one any time soon?

Option 2: Buy a 2TB Firecuda.  2TB should be plenty of storage, and people have reported getting significantly better install and load times due to it being a 7200RPM hybrid drive (since the PS4's interface is only SATA II a pure SSD seems like a waste).  Like I said, I don't have a 4K TV.  Nor does my TV support HDR.  So if I don't really need a Pro, this should be the cheaper option.  I've still got that little niggle, though, that's telling me that $90 for a Firecuda is $90 I could put toward a Pro, that 1TB is probably enough for me, and getting the Pro is better future proofing.

Thoughts?

Either option is fine. The Pro howls like a banshee, though; during Spider-Man (oh btw I got Spider-Man it's great so far except for the drone chase challenges those are the worst) it ramps up to max almost right away and stays there for pretty much the entire duration of play. Probably I should dust it sometime soon, though...

But anyway, the Pro can have passive benefits even for non-Pro-tailored/screens. There's a Supersampling option that renders non-Pro games at higher resolutions and then scales them down to 1080p (or whatever your screen resolution is). It's basically an extremely high-quality anti-aliasing solution. Some games it will also boost the average framerate. Until Dawn saw framerates shoot up in some scenes, far above the normal 20-30 range a normal PS4 gets. (Same with Bloodbourne.)

It will also arguably benefit more from a hard drive swap than a stock PS4 will owing to it using a SATA III interface. Better HDDs are an option as before, but an SSD nets you (usually) more improvement than a PS4 gets.

To answer your specific questions:

- Option 1: 1TB has been enough for me. I've deleted some game data on occasion, but not because I was running out of space, because I always try to have a sizable buffer of free space. A 4K TV is not necessary, and in some cases is my preferred option, if a game can use the extra horsepower to render at a locked 1080p60. (Other benefits are as noted above.)

- Option 2: This'll also do you just fine. The PS4 is nearing the end of its lifespan, so this might be the more economical option until the Playstation 5 comes out. I suppose it all depends on how much you can knock off the Pro price by trading the PS4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Option 1: Buy a PS4 Pro.  In the two years or so since the Pro came out there's a lot more games that take advantage of that extra horsepower, and they come with double the storage I already have.  I could get a bundle with a game I was going to buy anyway, and sell my old PS4 to recoup some of the cost.  But is 1TB enough?  And how much extra benefit would I get out of the PS4 Pro if I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan on getting one any time soon?

Option 2: Buy a 2TB Firecuda.  2TB should be plenty of storage, and people have reported getting significantly better install and load times due to it being a 7200RPM hybrid drive (since the PS4's interface is only SATA II a pure SSD seems like a waste).  Like I said, I don't have a 4K TV.  Nor does my TV support HDR.  So if I don't really need a Pro, this should be the cheaper option.  I've still got that little niggle, though, that's telling me that $90 for a Firecuda is $90 I could put toward a Pro, that 1TB is probably enough for me, and getting the Pro is better future proofing.

Thoughts?

Option 1: Like you said, future-proofing. PS4 end-of-life is ~2021 and PS5 is expected around that time. But I would expect games by that time to need at least the PS4 Pro to run.

Option 2: The budget option. Nothing wrong about this one. If you don't get that much play time anymore, do you really want to shell out for a PS4 Pro?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input, guys.

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

The Pro howls like a banshee, though

That's a turn off. (Just a reminder, you only need to silver all but four Taskmaster Challenges, and those last four can be bronzes, to get enough tokens to buy all the suits and get your Platinum as long as you don't spend any on upgrades, so it's ok if you're not doing so hot on the drones.)

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It will also arguably benefit more from a hard drive swap than a stock PS4 will owing to it using a SATA III interface. Better HDDs are an option as before, but an SSD nets you (usually) more improvement than a PS4 gets.

Technically true, but I'm looking at this as an either/or situation, so if I went Pro I wouldn't be buying an HDD upgrade.  Besides, a Pro plus an SSD upgrade is enough that I might as well just wait a bit and buy a new RTX 2070 for my PC.

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

the Pro can have passive benefits even for non-Pro-tailored/screens. There's a Supersampling option that renders non-Pro games at higher resolutions and then scales them down to 1080p (or whatever your screen resolution is). It's basically an extremely high-quality anti-aliasing solution. Some games it will also boost the average framerate. Until Dawn saw framerates shoot up in some scenes, far above the normal 20-30 range a normal PS4 gets. (Same with Bloodbourne.)

This is all good to know.  Although I must confess, I've looked at some screenshots, and side-by-side you can really see the difference, especially with god rays.  But I wonder how much of that I'd actually notice in motion.

5 hours ago, azrael said:

But I would expect games by that time to need at least the PS4 Pro to run.

Pretty sure Sony has a mandate that stuff has to run at certain baseline quality on the regular PS4 units.  Unless they change that policy, I don't think the worry is a game coming out that I couldn't play, it's more of a "how much better would this game be on a Pro" sort of situation.

5 hours ago, azrael said:

If you don't get that much play time anymore, do you really want to shell out for a PS4 Pro?

Truthfully, I don't mind shelling out for a Pro so much as I'd mind shelling out for an upgrade on the PS4 I have, then turning around in a year and buying a Pro anyway.  But-

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

The PS4 is nearing the end of its lifespan, so this might be the more economical option until the Playstation 5 comes out.

 

5 hours ago, azrael said:

PS4 end-of-life is ~2021 and PS5 is expected around that time.

If I'm definitely not upgrading my TV anytime soon, and the PS5 really is 2-3 years away, I think I'm probably better off upgrading the perfectly-good PS4 I already have and waiting for a PS5 for something better.  It'd be different if I didn't already have a PS4; I think in that case, the Pro would be a no-brainer.  But we're really talking about a $90 upgrade for quadruple the storage (on a drive with better performance), or $400 to replace a console I already have on the off chance that games I can already play might be a little better.  And I think, after weighing the pros and cons, it probably makes more sense to upgrade what I have and just wait for a PS5 before I drop money on another console.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

when I played the Mega Man X collections she'd grab my spare controller and insist that I'm Mega Man and she's Zero

Your daughter is a lady of discerning taste. Zero's way better than X.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...