All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Rumors are already flying around out there about the next gen of consoles. Digital Foundry does a speculative video:

I just bought a PS4 Pro over Christmas, so I'm still catching up on the current generation of games. I can't believe it's already been five years since PS4 first launched; it feels like this generation of consoles still has the legs to last a good five years more.

3 hours ago, Big s said:

I didn’t bother with the pro since they were already speculating a 2019 release for the 5.

Yeah, I feel like it was really only worth the purchase because it was my first PS4 and I got to play all those older PS4 games for the first time on it.

frakk the Lingering Will. Adding a challenge is one thing; the two Sephiroth battles are challenging. But most of the bosses added to Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, including the vast majority of the Organization 13 data battles, are just frustrating. Instead of making me want to keep playing, they've sucked out all the fun I had with the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Any Battlefield fans here? I really enjoyed the modern shooter games over the historic settings, namely BF2, 3 and 4. Didn't care for 1942 though I played the heck out of the Desert Combat mod and didn't buy BF1. That being said it looks like they are going back to WW2...

https://www.facebook.com/battlefield/

*raises hand*
I'm hoping for no loot-crate-likeness.

BF5 reveal. Looks great and I hope the gameplay is good too. That being said, I prefer modern shooters and I'm not jazzed about this game like I was for BF2, 3 and 4 but who knows, this may change my mind once more gameplay is revealed.

Edited by TangledThorns

2 hours ago, azrael said:

I don't play either game so I say let them have a battle royale in court! :D

On a side note I just finished Hellblade last night. Amazing game that took a lot out of me, highly recommended.

Another side note. Downloading the Gold Edition of Middle Earth: Shadow of War and its 100Gb! 100GB!! I'm gonna have to buy a larger SSD this year as my 250Gb SSD can only hold two games tops now. I'm debating if I should go all out and just get a 1Tb over a 500Gb SSD.

Edited by TangledThorns

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I'm gonna have to buy a larger SSD this year as my 250Gb SSD can only hold two games tops now. I'm debating if I should go all out and just get a 1Tb over a 500Gb SSD.

That's a large part of why I also have a couple TB of disk storage.

15 minutes ago, JB0 said:

That's a large part of why I also have a couple TB of disk storage.

I boot from a 256GB SSD, have a 1TB WD Black drive just for my games, and a 3TB WD Green drive for storage.  I even copied the \Documents, \Pictures, \Downloads, \Music, and \Videos folders from C:\Users\Mike to E:\ and pointed Windows libraries to them instead of the defaults.

There's also a 5GB Seagate USB 3.0 external drive on my desktop for archival purposes.

So this just popped up on my radar. Project Wingman is already funded on Kickstarter and has a three mission demo if you want to try it out. I played around with it a bit and it seems like a good Ace Combat clone, it even has some of the same cloud effect tech they have been showing off in AC7. My biggest complaint would be that the standard missiles track a little too well but they may be set that way to make the demo more accessible. Kickstarter Link

17 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I boot from a 256GB SSD, have a 1TB WD Black drive just for my games, and a 3TB WD Green drive for storage.  I even copied the \Documents, \Pictures, \Downloads, \Music, and \Videos folders from C:\Users\Mike to E:\ and pointed Windows libraries to them instead of the defaults.

There's also a 5GB Seagate USB 3.0 external drive on my desktop for archival purposes.

512GB SSD for boot and daily apps. 1TB SSD for games and scratch. 5TB WD Black for data which offloads to my NAS. Yeah, what ever happened to the days of games fitting on a disc (compressed) and small patches instead of these freakin' 5-10GB patches. Someone wanna tell game studios that storage cost money?

1 hour ago, azrael said:

512GB SSD for boot and daily apps. 1TB SSD for games and scratch. 5TB WD Black for data which offloads to my NAS. Yeah, what ever happened to the days of games fitting on a disc (compressed) and small patches instead of these freakin' 5-10GB patches. Someone wanna tell game studios that storage cost money?

The worst thing for me isn't the lack of local storage, it's ISP data caps. A buddy of mine only gets around 100GB a month, so if he buys one if the bigger games that might be all he can play for a month.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

The worst thing for me isn't the lack of local storage, it's ISP data caps. A buddy of mine only gets around 100GB a month, so if he buys one if the bigger games that might be all he can play for a month.

Since you mentioned that...I don't leave my box on 24/7, so it takes me a FREAKIN' WEEK or more to pull down some of these updates without saturating my connection. Fiber-optic isn't available in my area so I have to plan my streaming around those huge update downloads.

Ok, rant over.

8 hours ago, dizman said:

So this just popped up on my radar. Project Wingman is already funded on Kickstarter and has a three mission demo if you want to try it out. I played around with it a bit and it seems like a good Ace Combat clone, it even has some of the same cloud effect tech they have been showing off in AC7. My biggest complaint would be that the standard missiles track a little too well but they may be set that way to make the demo more accessible. Kickstarter Link

Looks like a good start, though that Superhornet model looks like a very rough placeholder.  I think my biggest concern is that they decided to offer a demo before that particular plane is presentable.  The rest of the models look much more finished, but I wonder how they hold up on close inspection.

10 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Looks like a good start, though that Superhornet model looks like a very rough placeholder.  I think my biggest concern is that they decided to offer a demo before that particular plane is presentable.  The rest of the models look much more finished, but I wonder how they hold up on close inspection.

If they are selling the game in the US they would have to pay to use an exact likeness of the F-18 so they probably went with a close likeness to skirt copyright for now. The developers do have legal fees set up in their kickstarter funding breakdown so they are probably waiting for some money before they call up Boeing. I doubt anyone is going to try and collect on the Flanker likeness, not sure if Saab would try and get some money for the Viggen though....

1 hour ago, dizman said:

If they are selling the game in the US they would have to pay to use an exact likeness of the F-18 so they probably went with a close likeness to skirt copyright for now. The developers do have legal fees set up in their kickstarter funding breakdown so they are probably waiting for some money before they call up Boeing. I doubt anyone is going to try and collect on the Flanker likeness, not sure if Saab would try and get some money for the Viggen though....

It's not so much the likeness as the lack of details in this case, and the dissimilar levels of detail between assorted aircraft.  Even if they're trying to take creative liberties with the aircraft, I can't imagine they intend to leave the solid metal tailpipes on the Hornet, they look like they're taken off of a static display aircraft. :lol: The rest of the aircraft all appear to have animated exhaust nozzles.

The licensing will definitely be a thing, but on the flip side of that issue, getting the licenses didn't seem to have any effect on the quality of models used in the first HAWX game.. those assets were just rotten and amateurish on multiple levels.

Edited by Chronocidal

Today's spit-take.

Ubisoft CEO: Cloud gaming will replace consoles after the next generation

How about in 3-5 more generations? As I recall, network infrastructure still sucks (in rural and even in some metropolitan areas), latency across the pond will stop anyone who attempts to play on servers located in other countries, and data caps/bandwidth limits/net neutrality are hard stops for intensive cloud gaming if it costs more money for more access.

Not sure if anything Az posted is really grabbing me, aside from Devil May Cry 5 (adios, Ninja Theory).  Maybe Battletoads.

But if you wanna throw in the stuff that's not in Az's post, there's Doom Eternal, Elder Scrolls VI, and Metal Wolf Chaos XD are all on my radar.  And maybe some other stuff once I figure out how much of it is going to be an online survival game...