HG and Robotech Debates

J-LO = JENYFUR LOPSAYS JUST FLYI! LOL LOL LOL

MEMODOMINION4352354 (NOT TRYING TO FLAME HERE GUYS LOL)

-----------

Pete

putting the MEMO back in the HG/RT Debates

If VFTF1 is now going to occupy himself putting MEMO back into the HG/RT debates, who is going to put the long VFTF1 posts into this thread?? :blink: :blink:

Taksraven

Jeezs, you all. Come on! I like Robotech and I like Macross. Both have much to give and both have much to detract. I got here because I watched Robotech not because I saw Macross, hell, I didn't even KNOW there was a Macross until 1994. But now that I know there is both my world view has expanded and I accept both. They both exist, get the F over it and quit being babies.

AGREE RED2ALPHA. BUT PROBLEM ON BOARD THIS IS THAT PEEPLE LIKE EXO AND GUBBABA NO BELIEVE WHEN I TELL ROBOTECH IS EXISTING. I SAYING MACROSS EXISTING TO BUT PROBLEM HERE IS THAT THEY NO BEELEAVEING ME. THE IDEA I AM PROMOTING IS SAYING THAT YES THERE IS BOTH BUT THESE HERE ARE SAYING THERE IS ONE AND THEN MAKE ALL THIS BIG SAYING LIKE SETO IS WRITING BUT WHAT GOOD I ASK YOU IS IT SINCE ROBOTECH IS HERE TOO? NICE I SEE SOMEONE IS NOT MACROSS FANATICALIST.

MEMODOMINION2304320

-------

Pete

putting the MEMO back into the HG/RT Debates

I might be a sucker but I don't believe this movie is or will become vaporware. Harmony Gold & Warner had recently signed a licensing agreement and at licensing expo in NY Robotech was announced by a WB executive as one of their new tent pole projects. I don't think you make that kind of commitment unless you plan to use it. We might not get a RT movie that's a straight adaption of Macross or we might get something totally new. Though I would welcome a new Robotech saga that's not hampered to much from the past but with a nod and a wink wink to the old Robotech.

Just my two cents......

Jeezs, you all. Come on! I like Robotech and I like Macross. Both have much to give and both have much to detract. I got here because I watched Robotech not because I saw Macross, hell, I didn't even KNOW there was a Macross until 1994. But now that I know there is both my world view has expanded and I accept both. They both exist, get the F over it and quit being babies.

The backlash against Robotech isn't really about the existence or acceptance of the show, but against the actions of it's owner Harmony Gold. Robotech fans hate HG for mismanaging the franchise and Macross fans hate HG for making it impossible to get Western releases for the Macross sequels, books and merchandise. True, some even see Maceks project from 1984 as an abomination and rape of the original content, but I am sure this thread would have just been a more relaxed discussion about the merrits of and issues with dubbing and Westernising Japanese animation, if it had not been for the mess created by HG and Tatsunoko.

Believe it or not the more fanatical Robotech fans are the babies. I've seen denials to high heaven even when presented with irrefutable legal proof. I've even seen one wishing Japan's economy to fall so HG can buy the IP.

Bri is correct the backlash isn't Robotech per se but Harmony Gold's questionable business practices.

Unlike Transfomers or Macross, Robotech is a stagnant franchise which mostly depends on somebody else's work and intellectual property.

Even World Events Production can't do as they like for a Live Action Voltron because Toei as copyright holder of the source material disputes WEP rights to using Golion for Voltron. They got to a little spat when Voltron 3D was syndicated.

They don't give a crap about ideas, they just want to see what their "enemies" are saying about them.

That's right, anyone who dares criticize them instantly becomes added to their sh!t list

all I said is they need a new creative staff and they act like I pied them in the face

go figure huh?

Sadly , I know what you mean. I walked away from that site myself. The staff were treating fans as enemies when they were asking hard questions and mentioning concerns. I thought that the staff were misunderstanding the concerns as attacks . I tried to help by re-organizing the complaints in a more positive and what I thought a more defined way. I was immediately treated as if I was a "troller" . I honestly was in shock when I read McKeevers responce to me. I didnt expect some flowerly statement of love, but I sure didnt expect that! Anyone who knows me well enough, (and if a person were around for the four-ish years I participated there, they would know me) , would surely have not defined me as a troller. For that staff to treat the fans (myself included) the way that they have, is disgracefull. I understand positive promotion of the product, but defence of the product to the expense of belittling thier own fans is not the way to do that.

By all means, let them see what thier "enemies" are seeing , and maybe enroll them in some customer relations/ customer development seminars too.

These days it's just easier to think Robotech=Harmony Gold. Whether you like them or not, every dollar you spend on DVDs, comic books, novels, merchandise, etc. with either name on the packaging eventually helps them do things like order C&Ds to Smith & Tinker and ign as well as other stuff that only die hard Robotech fans could find something positive about. I like to think somewhere down the line that's hard spent money by the fans put to work. In other words, people's obsession over nostalgia is probably part of the problem. But sure, you get toys sometimes from the process.

Hopefully, paying for the AnimEigo will be the only product that I buy that has the slightest chance of giving money to HG.

Sadly , I know what you mean. I walked away from that site myself. The staff were treating fans as enemies when they were asking hard questions and mentioning concerns. I thought that the staff were misunderstanding the concerns as attacks . I tried to help by re-organizing the complaints in a more positive and what I thought a more defined way. I was immediately treated as if I was a "troller" . I honestly was in shock when I read McKeevers responce to me. I didnt expect some flowerly statement of love, but I sure didnt expect that! Anyone who knows me well enough, (and if a person were around for the four-ish years I participated there, they would know me) , would surely have not defined me as a troller. For that staff to treat the fans (myself included) the way that they have, is disgracefull. I understand positive promotion of the product, but defence of the product to the expense of belittling thier own fans is not the way to do that.

Recently it's like individuals in the online fandom are pretty much expendable to them. There's always going to be someone else taking their (in this case your) place who is hopefully unusually positive (conditioned) about the situation. Eventually, they'll probably go through the same cycle the longer HG does nothing for the franchise. I have to admit though, it does not represent the general fandom that could be out there, and their priority is probably to always satisfy them in the long run.

Edited by Einherjar

Keep up like that and you'll get a bad case of athlete's tongue from having your foot in your mouth all day.

Had you bothered to read any of it, you'd see that this thread's primary purpose was/is uncovering and consolidating the hard facts of the legal situation surrounding the original Macross TV series, including what the rights of Harmony Gold are, and how those limitations affect the future of the Robotech franchise. Of course, since the facts are so well-established, the only people who really want to debate them anymore are "problem children" like MEMO1DOMINION... the Robotech lunatic fringe who find the fact that Harmony Gold cannot use everything in Robotech however they see fit so very offensive that they attack those who dare point that out, troll this thread with increasingly asinine attempts to deny the irrefutable evidence, and generally give the Robotech fandom a bad even worse name than it already has.

As the facts have already been established, and are very well explained and documented, this thread's primary purpose turned mainly to commentary on informing newbies, and commentary on Robotech news, current events, and the at-best questionable business ethnics and practices of Harmony Gold. Given that Harmony Gold's public relations dept. is a bad joke, all the bad press most of their actions get, and the fact that they've left management of their fanbase in the hands of the very people who I referred to in the previous paragraph... people who are so deep in denial they no longer know what reality is anymore. Unless that changes, this thread will probably run forever.

As the facts have already been established, and are very well explained and documented, this thread's primary purpose turned mainly to commentary on informing newbies, and commentary on Robotech news, current events, and the at-best questionable business ethnics and practices of Harmony Gold. Given that Harmony Gold's public relations dept. is a bad joke, all the bad press most of their actions get, and the fact that they've left management of their fanbase in the hands of the very people who I referred to in the previous paragraph... people who are so deep in denial they no longer know what reality is anymore. Unless that changes, this thread will probably run forever.

All that is true, but let's face facts...most of this thread exists solely because saying nasty things about Robotech is a hell of a lot of fun.

All that is true, but let's face facts...most of this thread exists solely because saying nasty things about Robotech is a hell of a lot of fun.

Well, it IS a good target... but I'd put that under the umbrella of "commentary on Robotech news, current events, and the at-best questionable business ethnics and practices of Harmony Gold". After all, a lot of those "nasty things" we say here are honest opinions about Harmony Gold's questionable business practices, their increasingly pathetic attempts to pass off recycled content as original material (RTSC), and their general mistreatment of Macross and Robotech fans.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

They don't give a crap about ideas, they just want to see what their "enemies" are saying about them.

That's right, anyone who dares criticize them instantly becomes added to their sh!t list

all I said is they need a new creative staff and they act like I pied them in the face

go figure huh?

Yes, it's very true. my demotion from their site had some to do with hear-say and assumptions from other sites, as well as quite a few other people. I know someone's website that was watched every freakin' day by computers at HG simply because it was negatively reflecting them. I know for a fact Steve Yun does not like Robotech fans, based on a comments I've heard him make several years ago. He puts up with them, and puts a good front, really doesn't give a crap about them, save for maybe those that Tommy actually likes. Even then, probably not. Even as a regular poster over there, I always got the impression that they thought of their fans as gullible twits, who were easy to manipulate. I don't think they accept those that have their own opinion.

Your site, HP, shows that you have your own thoughts, and can openly criticize them, and still remain a fan. Those are the people they probably really worry about. You're not on some stupid vendetta, you don't hate the franchise simply because it's not Macross or something like that, you have valid issues with the way they run things. The simple solution that most will give here is simply leave it all behind. But being a fan isn't about just abandoning things you like. That, I can understand. And voicing your concerns, and having a place where others can do so is a good thing. Let them read on. WTF are they gonna do, ban you from your own website? Getting banned is the worst thing they could do to some fans, cause whatever restrains they have on spilling out the crap they do gets disintigrated, and it becomes free reign on their parade. I spent a lot of time telling several others about some of the crap I knew, just never said when I was a member over there, out of respect. But they do it to themselves. Not much you can do to help them when they feel they know better. Maybe one day they'll get over it and fix things.

I can't possibly fathom how anyone can say anything bad about Robotech or take any joy in it.

My irony-meter is tingling, but I'm still not sure how accurate it is in this thread... :unsure:

Anyway, it's easy to make fun of Robotech just as it's easy to make fun of Dr. Sane's "spring water" (wink, wink) in Star Blazers, or the addition of 7-Zark-7 to the Gatchaman team. Or for that matter, Herbie the Robot replacing the Human Torch in the '80s Fantastic Four cartoon. Or the Latina housewife getting changed into Lana Tuner in The Postman Always Rings Twice. Whitewashing and bowdlerization are always ripe for comedy.

Just like I had fun in ninth grade reading the expurgated Romeo and Juliet in my school textbook, and comparing it to the full text in the Signet Shakepseare edition. What was funny was that although the textbook cut out SOME of the dirty jokes, they missed some of the dirtiest...

Then there's the idea of fitting separate series together and trying to pretend they're a cohesive whole. By far the funniest Robotech parody I've seen is "Robotech III: Not Necessarily the Sentinels" and it can be seen as being pretty vicious in its attack on THAT concept.

Its a pity that Sentinels did not get completed because its quality was so bad that it probably would have destroyed most of the original Robotech fanbase and probably would have led to the demise of HG.

Discuss.

Taksraven

Its a pity that Sentinels did not get completed because its quality was so bad that it probably would have destroyed most of the original Robotech fanbase and probably would have led to the demise of HG.

Discuss.

Taksraven

One would've expected Shadow Chronicles to do the same. Alas, some segments of the Robotech fandom appear to be impervious to quality-control issues.

Discuss.

Taksraven

I guess their ignorance of how anime is really made saved them from that mess. They've only been able to make 2 cheapo quality direct-to-video movies ever since the original.

Yes, it's very true. my demotion from their site had some to do with hear-say and assumptions from other sites, as well as quite a few other people. I know someone's website that was watched every freakin' day by computers at HG simply because it was negatively reflecting them. I know for a fact Steve Yun does not like Robotech fans, based on a comments I've heard him make several years ago. He puts up with them, and puts a good front, really doesn't give a crap about them, save for maybe those that Tommy actually likes. Even then, probably not. Even as a regular poster over there, I always got the impression that they thought of their fans as gullible twits, who were easy to manipulate. I don't think they accept those that have their own opinion.

I would have sympathy for him if he and the HG crew didn't put themselves in that situation by operating a site like theirs. The fake empathy from them also doesn't help either. They sound like they're talking mostly to children, selling toys and etc. when in fact most of their dedicated fans are adults.

Edited by Einherjar

Yes, much of it was a Star Trek ripoff without shame (but hey, this is Carl Macek's planned magnum opus we're talking about... you expected originality?), and its death is actually celebrated by much of the Robotech fanbase as a very fortunate thing, but there are still some of those strange Robotech fans with completely alien concepts of quality and entertainment who thought Sentinels deserved to be finished...

I would have sympathy for him if he and the HG crew didn't put themselves in that situation by operating a site like theirs. The fake empathy from them also doesn't help either. They sound like they're talking mostly to children, selling toys and etc. when in fact most of their dedicated fans are adults.

Well, considering the blind faith they get from what remains of their core fanbase, one could easily assume they've decided their die-hard fans have the mental maturity of a child who desperately wants to believe in Santa Claus, and are acting accordingly.

SETONOTPROVINGANYTHINGEXCEPTYOUTHINKINGSOBUTNOTREALLYREMEMERMAYBEYOUNEEDTHATROBO

TECHISLEGALAMERICANMOVIEBUTMACROSSNOT.

SETOIFYOURIGHTWHYTHENNOTMACROSSFRONTIERINAMERICA!BANDAILAWYERHIREYOUMAYBEFORBRINGBENEFITGLORIOUSNATIONKHAZAHSTANWITHMACROSSBE

CAUSEAMERICAYOUBRING NOT!

MEMODOMINION323532540NOTFLAMEHERGUYSLOLOLOLOLOLOL

------------

Pete

putting the MEMO back into the RT/HG debates. Now with no spaces added to spice up the caps locking!

SETONOTPROVINGANYTHINGEXCEPTYOUTHINKINGSOBUTNOTREALLYREMEMERMAYBEYOUNEEDTHATROBO

SETOIFYOURIGHTWHYTHENNOTMACROSSFRONTIERINAMERICA!BANDAILAWYERHIREYOUMAYBEFORBRINGBENEFITGLORIOUSNATIONKHAZAHSTANWITHMACROSSBE

------------

Pete

putting the MEMO back into the RT/HG debates. Now with no spaces added to spice up the caps locking!

::Takes out magnifying glass:: OMG, I think I just found the square root of pi!

------------

Pete

Its kinda frustrating, cause this is the sort of post that I would LOVE the real MEMO to respond to, but of course, he will ignore it........

Taksraven

I just have to say, I love this thread. I am almost literally crying my eyes out with laughter.

"JELLOS!"

"Jell-O?"

"No, not J-Lo!"

This is gold. I also loved that bit about the "VirtualFans". VFTF1, Gubaba, EXO, take a bow. Nothing like solid entertainment in the wait between HG news (not that I'm holding my breath).

:)

Your site, HP, shows that you have your own thoughts, and can openly criticize them, and still remain a fan. Those are the people they probably really worry about. You're not on some stupid vendetta, you don't hate the franchise simply because it's not Macross or something like that, you have valid issues with the way they run things. The simple solution that most will give here is simply leave it all behind. But being a fan isn't about just abandoning things you like. That, I can understand. And voicing your concerns, and having a place where others can do so is a good thing. Let them read on. WTF are they gonna do, ban you from your own website? Getting banned is the worst thing they could do to some fans, cause whatever restrains they have on spilling out the crap they do gets disintigrated, and it becomes free reign on their parade. I spent a lot of time telling several others about some of the crap I knew, just never said when I was a member over there, out of respect. But they do it to themselves. Not much you can do to help them when they feel they know better. Maybe one day they'll get over it and fix things.

Yeah, its almost as if they (H.G.) believe if they "controll" thier web-site and the people who inhabit it (by fear of banning and other punishments) that they dont need to be able to have an effective P.R./Customer Relations section. Its almost as if they think Robotech.com is their own "Pravda" (sp? ) and what is said there is the only thing to be said. The fact is that alot of fans get thier info from more than one source, and when Robotech.com alienates its members (in the waythat it does) it ruins their credibility as an information source as well.