HG and Robotech Debates

By special features do you mean that "ROBOTECH: BIRTH OF A SEQUEL" video where Tommy Yune and other cast and crew talk about making Shadow Chronicles right? There isn't any legal issue about HG uttering the word "Macross" or any of the other two original series names its just that HG don't want to mention any of them and bring any attention to them especially when they are trying to renew Robotech as their own franchise. Its no different then when you are on a date and never mention any of your ex's names. Its not cause your afraid of getting sued, but rather you just know its a bad idea to bring attention to your ex's to a new date.

Bottom line, in reference to any "Robotech" history in the doc, the only thing shown was Mospeada. "Maya Sterlying" was referred to as an "alien," and the SDF-3 now looks like a Mospeada ship design, as opposed to the big red fake Zentradi turd it used to look like. No amount of robotech fan denial can hide the fact that HG can't touch Macross with a 10 foot pole in any remote attempt of a new produciton.

What's even sadder is that Robotech fans are willing to accept this situation for the long term. They're clinging to the hope that for all the BS drama that goes around, something good is coming to them eventually. And they''ve shown they'll wait for just about anything. After raising people's expectations for years now I think fans deserve something. They started it. Besides us, HG owes them so much for what goes around these days while they plan for some revival. They promote this second coming with gangbusters and crap and all you get is a direct to video movie. Oh, they also have a Hollywood movie in progress, but look how long they've been waiting to get just a script done.

I certainly agree with that. I've been fortunate to talk with someone who was/is working on the LAM (haven't talked to them in awhile), and the LAM is very much envisioned to be a recreation of Macross. As to what extent, he couldn't tell me, but in his words, "If it gets made, it'll more or less be the first show of Robotech with only a couple of the staple characters in it." Who knows where it's at now, or what they want to do now, but what stuck out to me was two things. First was the tone at which he told me this. It was kinda in a non-belief fashion, as if the movie was more of a longshot than anything. Secondly, was the fact that it seemed more like a sidestory to go along with the Macross Saga. I didn't ask him about any of the other technical stuff about Zentraedi or whatnot, cause I figured he wouldn't tell me, but just to get that bit was very interesting. Again, this was several months ago, so fo all I know, the new writer could be working on something different.

I think that their fans are going to be slightly disappointed, to throroughly disappointed when the movie comes out. They're expecting reenvisioned designs to some extent, but they expect the Macross story all over again. I wonder how much this deflates the work that HG is trying to put forward in Shadow Rising? Maybe they don't even think about it, but the longer they use Macross, the more it becomes evident of their ability to create stuff on their own accord. It kinda goes along with how everytime I go onto ebay, so many Macross specific items have the name Robotech attached to them. Robotech wants to be on its own, but wants all that Macross is, and Macross just wants to be left the hell alone and doesn't want to be pulled down with Robotech's downward spiral. Who knows, perhaps the LAM coming out will get BW riled up enough to try to get back the rights to use the word Macross in the U.S. That could open up lots of doors.

As to what extent, he couldn't tell me, but in his words, "If it gets made, it'll more or less be the first show of Robotech with only a couple of the staple characters in it."

Okay, so he confirmed what anyone with their head screwed the right way 'round concluded the minute they heard the movie was supposed to be a "re-imagining"... that it's going to bear pretty much no resemblance to Macross or the Macross Saga, and that the only familiar things will be a couple of "iconic" names.

First was the tone at which he told me this. It was kinda in a non-belief fashion, as if the movie was more of a longshot than anything.

Isn't that pretty much how everyone with an ounce of common sense still views the movie? As a long-shot that probably will never see release?

I think that their fans are going to be slightly disappointed, to throroughly disappointed when the movie comes out.

Probably more towards "thoroughly disappointed", since ignorant blokes like Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION have been abusing their authority on Robotech.com to make erroneous claims that Harmony Gold can and will use any and all of the intellectual property of Macross as the basis for the movie. They're inadvertently setting the fans up for a major disappointment if and when the movie actually comes out.

I wonder how much this deflates the work that HG is trying to put forward in Shadow Rising?

Considering that, according to Tommy and the various voice actors, the further animated projects are all on hold while they wait on the live-action movie to open up better sponsorship prospects, it seems like they're digging themselves a new grave. If the LAM goes under, we can probably expect another 20 year release drought from Harmony Gold (yay!).

Okay, so he confirmed what anyone with their head screwed the right way 'round concluded the minute they heard the movie was supposed to be a "re-imagining"... that it's going to bear pretty much no resemblance to Macross or the Macross Saga, and that the only familiar things will be a couple of "iconic" names.

To some extent, that's what some have concluded. while most of us talk about the mecha and designs, it was quite interesting to have someone who wasn't just guessing mention something about the characters.

Probably more towards "thoroughly disappointed", since ignorant blokes like Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION have been abusing their authority on Robotech.com to make erroneous claims that Harmony Gold can and will use any and all of the intellectual property of Macross as the basis for the movie. They're inadvertently setting the fans up for a major disappointment if and when the movie actually comes out.

What surprised me about the whole fiasco with that was that they seemed to want to debate the issue with no direction. It seemed more like a debate started simply to start a fight, even with the hard facts their to grab. It's probably why the thread got put down, and the lap dog got himself banned as well, instead of getting a free ride to talk crap.

Considering that, according to Tommy and the various voice actors, the further animated projects are all on hold while they wait on the live-action movie to open up better sponsorship prospects, it seems like they're digging themselves a new grave. If the LAM goes under, we can probably expect another 20 year release drought from Harmony Gold (yay!).

Harmony Gold, should the LAM fail miserably, will simply start work again on Shadow Rising. I know there was Tommy's treatment, and more than just that, that was written. If they have the story ironed out, they'll probably start working on script and will move right into finishing Shadow Rising. If the LAM fails, as it still could very well do, they're gonna need a backup stream of news to counter-weight the negativity they're gonna get hurled at them. Personally, I'll just be here waiting for more Macross.

Maybe they don't even think about it, but the longer they use Macross, the more it becomes evident of their ability to create stuff on their own accord. It kinda goes along with how everytime I go onto ebay, so many Macross specific items have the name Robotech attached to them. Robotech wants to be on its own, but wants all that Macross is, and Macross just wants to be left the hell alone and doesn't want to be pulled down with Robotech's downward spiral.

I've been seeing that a lot with the Mechwarrior reboot legal situation. The response has been venomous for either HG, Robotech and/or Macross even though it's really HG doing all of this. At least it's good most people know the difference now.

As for the ebay thing, don't know if that's really the case or more so an effort by the sellers to attract more people. Name recognition or something like that. Maybe I should have done that in an auction I recently sold.

Isn't that pretty much how everyone with an ounce of common sense still views the movie? As a long-shot that probably will never see release?

I think the movie is doomed either way, I mean if it does come out a lot of robotech fans are going to be butthurt when they find out it doesn't have the entire macross saga cast or the designs. Of course it will be hilarious to see them fight with those who led them to believe otherwise... in this case MEMO and Mav

But with the way things are looking, this movie isn't going to happen any time soon. Announced in 2007 and here it is damn near 2010 and they haven't gotten the story written. Way to go! That's a great way to make progress!

I mean it's no wonder there's been such little news, other than "there's a new writer on board!" Well Whoopty flippin Doo! They got all these writers who apparently can't write worth crap, how many is it now? Three? And they can't even finish it? Yeah, this movie is in production hell.... no doubt about it.

I've lost interest though, so if it falls through, won't make any difference to me. :mellow:

(in the words of Darth Vader) Feel the hatred rise up, then you will truly know the power of the dark side. All it seems is that HG is not gonna change any of the status regarding Macross, and right or wrong, they are really only hurting the fans of Robotech and Macross. They are trying so hard to relinquish the chains they're under of Macross, yet, refuse to let any of it go. They want to create Macross free shows, but the fact is, without it, they have no story. They won't grow at all until they give up Macross completely. What's sad is that they'll still find a way to stick it to Macross fans, as well as their own fans. It's really too bad.

Jason, if you'll remember. I did offer H.G. total I.P. rights on a spin-off show based on the happenings of one "Commander "Wham" Hammer" and his "Dacshund" squadron. It was based after the Invid had left and wouldnt have mentioned "Macross" or "Macross thingies" at all!! All it wouldve cost them was a customized Alpha-Beta/McRibb combo (The Alpha-Beta; white with blue racing stripes, the McRibb, unpainted of course). They refused to budge of the omission of the McRibb part, kinda pathetic, dontcha' think?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh, I have it on good word that there's a new Robotech movie right around the corner...

Here's the poster art:

Problem....If you're gonna use that pic, you gotta add more sex in the advertisement. :lol: For starters, call it "ROBOTEXXX".

To some extent, that's what some have concluded. while most of us talk about the mecha and designs, it was quite interesting to have someone who wasn't just guessing mention something about the characters.

What surprised me about the whole fiasco with that was that they seemed to want to debate the issue with no direction. It seemed more like a debate started simply to start a fight, even with the hard facts their to grab. It's probably why the thread got put down, and the lap dog got himself banned as well, instead of getting a free ride to talk crap.

Harmony Gold, should the LAM fail miserably, will simply start work again on Shadow Rising. I know there was Tommy's treatment, and more than just that, that was written. If they have the story ironed out, they'll probably start working on script and will move right into finishing Shadow Rising. If the LAM fails, as it still could very well do, they're gonna need a backup stream of news to counter-weight the negativity they're gonna get hurled at them. Personally, I'll just be here waiting for more Macross.

This is where the combination of being broke (at the moment) and being a Robotech fan come into harmoneous balance.

Right now, I have no money, I can't afford to spend money on things such as Robotech as much right now. H.G. announcing a project takes at least four years to do anything at best. If H.G./Robotech announces production of a project in 2007 , I have untill 2011 to really worry about having money to spend on said project. Were in 2009, I have two more years to even consider consideration of purchasing a prodcut!!! Life is goooooooooooooood!! :wacko::lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::wacko::wacko:

This is where the combination of being broke (at the moment) and being a Robotech fan come into harmoneous balance.

Right now, I have no money, I can't afford to spend money on things such as Robotech as much right now. H.G. announcing a project takes at least four years to do anything at best. If H.G./Robotech announces production of a project in 2007 , I have untill 2011 to really worry about having money to spend on said project. Were in 2009, I have two more years to even consider consideration of purchasing a prodcut!!! Life is goooooooooooooood!!

At least you're a fan who can take it with a grin. I don't think other fans would find that optimism you have. Question though, since you are more of a Southern Cross/Mospeada fan, does that mean you really don't care about the LAM coming out? If it will be all Macross based, I'm just curious. Last I talked to Tommy Yune, I think they said the movie was like a 98% sure thing, which even the most optimistic production companies that aren't in production will give, but he also said the movie would get done around 2012-2013, which by Mayan calendar time, may be too late.

Right now, I have no money, I can't afford to spend money on things such as Robotech as much right now. H.G. announcing a project takes at least four years to do anything at best. If H.G./Robotech announces production of a project in 2007 , I have untill 2011 to really worry about having money to spend on said project. Were in 2009, I have two more years to even consider consideration of purchasing a prodcut!!! Life is goooooooooooooood!! :wacko::lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::wacko::wacko:

What's there to buy besides revised expensive toys, hard fought over logo merchandise (what their ownership of so many trademarks really go towards these days), and a Sci-Fi Original quality direct to video movie sequel?

At least you're a fan who can take it with a grin. I don't think other fans would find that optimism you have. Question though, since you are more of a Southern Cross/Mospeada fan, does that mean you really don't care about the LAM coming out? If it will be all Macross based, I'm just curious. Last I talked to Tommy Yune, I think they said the movie was like a 98% sure thing, which even the most optimistic production companies that aren't in production will give, but he also said the movie would get done around 2012-2013, which by Mayan calendar time, may be too late.

Actually, the 2007 "project" I was referring to ,mostly, was "Shadow Rising" . I probably shouldve been more direct about that. The point I was trying to make is about H.G. in general. You could plug in any product in the equation, Shadow Chronicles, Shadow Rising , R.:L.A.M., or the most important and reverred Beta fighter, the end result seems to be the same. Hmmmm maybe a new Algebriac proof is in order. The "Agrama effect'? naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......... :lol::lol:

Aww Frak! I think I just saw MEMO at /m/ telling his version of Macross ownership.

The shocking part is he's typing normally!

edit: False alarm not him. What I get for skimming with only one eye working.

Edited by RedWolf

What's there to buy besides revised expensive toys, hard fought over logo merchandise (what their ownership of so many trademarks really go towards these days), and a Sci-Fi Original quality direct to video movie sequel?

The Beta fighters were more than worth thier price to me . In my opinion, based upon the offerings by the other companies out there (price included), the Toynami Beta is the better product. Different strokes for different folks.

The Betas are probably the best made "Robotech" item Toynami has made. The toy is good, probably because it's the easiest transforming toy they had to make. There's really not much into it at all, so I'm sure that helps with quality. While they're good on the wallet, they don't leave any choice for those who are looking for stuff to buy. With very little as far as merchandise, it seems more of a decaying franchise. I do like the betas very much, but as far as everything else, there's just nothing worth anything of interest.

Actually, on the subject of merchandise, HG could have done better by trying to revive the old Matchbox Robotech toy line and sell it as a nostalgia line. Heck, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sold it's old 80s toys, as have lots of other franchises (Transformers as well). Instead o designing crappy new toys, they could have just gone with that.

Just a thought...

Pete

Actually, on the subject of merchandise, HG could have done better by trying to revive the old Matchbox Robotech toy line and sell it as a nostalgia line. Heck, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sold it's old 80s toys, as have lots of other franchises (Transformers as well). Instead o designing crappy new toys, they could have just gone with that.

Just a thought...

Pete

As long as they resculpt the heads. Those things were hideous and ugly. However, it would be kinda humorous to see them back on the market.

Aww Frak! I think I just saw MEMO at /m/ telling his version of Macross ownership.

The shocking part is he's typing normally!

edit: False alarm not him. What I get for skimming with only one eye working.

Well, if the caps lock was off, it probably wouldn't be him...

But still, how do you know it wasn't? :unsure:

As long as they resculpt the heads. Those things were hideous and ugly. However, it would be kinda humorous to see them back on the market.

you aint kidding... I've got the matchbox miriya figure and oh my god is it ugly to look at :[

it looks nothing like her at all, she doesnt even have long hair :wacko:

but yeah those figures are still worth a lot just because they are collectibles.

I had 3 Sentinel Paperbacks I have owned for twenty years. Thought about selling them but when I checked prices on Amazon they were starting at 1 Penny. Decided to donate them instead. Am I going to hell for this?

I had 3 Sentinel Paperbacks I have owned for twenty years. Thought about selling them but when I checked prices on Amazon they were starting at 1 Penny. Decided to donate them instead. Am I going to hell for this?

And you call yourself a Robotech fan?

You should be ashamed! And as punishment, you should never be allowed to watch Shadow Chronicles again.

The Betas are probably the best made "Robotech" item Toynami has made. The toy is good, probably because it's the easiest transforming toy they had to make. There's really not much into it at all, so I'm sure that helps with quality. While they're good on the wallet, they don't leave any choice for those who are looking for stuff to buy. With very little as far as merchandise, it seems more of a decaying franchise. I do like the betas very much, but as far as everything else, there's just nothing worth anything of interest.

True , they are less complicated. I prefer the color scheme that Toynami used of the others too. I wished Toynami had done more with thematerials in the Alphas, especially the Shadows. They show a brittleness that the painted Blue and Greens didnt. Only reason I broke my Blue Alpha was that I was showing it off in sub zero weather(I left it in my car to show a co-worker) and tried to transform it (bad idea). Other than that the only ones Ive had problems with were Shadows. Im not so keen on the Valks, I can never seen to get the gunpod to fit in the hand and make it look like the mecha is actually holding it with a proper grip .

you aint kidding... I've got the matchbox miriya figure and oh my god is it ugly to look at :[

it looks nothing like her at all, she doesnt even have long hair :wacko:

but yeah those figures are still worth a lot just because they are collectibles.

They are? I saw some at the K.B. Toys STILL for sale a few years back for like three bucks during their store closing sale. Mostly that Robotech Masster guy and a Zent' warrior. And no, I didnt buy them.

They are? I saw some at the K.B. Toys STILL for sale a few years back for like three bucks during their store closing sale. Mostly that Robotech Masster guy and a Zent' warrior. And no, I didnt buy them.

yeah it is ridiculous, but some places they are expensive.... like this one website I forget where I found it, but it had almost all of them and listed for sale for about 80 bucks...

for the quality of the product? Not worth that amount of money at all.... I found mine on ebay for a reasonable price, only *laughs* The display image wasn't very big so I couldn't see how ugly the figures face was :wacko: I assume the seller did that on purpose, can't blame them either.

I guess the only reason worth getting something like that is just to get it for the packaging artwork. It's not the best, but hell it's a lot better than the art in the comico comics.

Too bad HG never released a series of detailed action figures huh? We all love the mecha, but we'd like to have the characters too.

well well, look at this

minmei barbie doll

MINMEI.JPG

that was okay, minus the fact it looks like she spent too much time in a tanning bed.

but dear lord look at this.....

MinmeiHG.jpg poor thing looks like shes on steroids.. lol

also here's that site with all the expensive toys

I also found a Dana doll...

robotech-danasterling.JPG yikes....

Edited by HappyPenguins

Wow!

Look! Harmony Gold takes random cheap crappy plastic dolls and shoves them in a box that says 'Robotech' on them - even though the dolls have NOTHING TO DO with Macross or even "Robotech"!

What a genius strategy!

Then again, given how that "Minmei action figure" on the card came out...maybe I should be thankful they stuck random dolls into boxes..sh!t...that action figure is beyond ugly. But...

Wait...

Aren't all of these bootlegs?

Please tell me they are bootlegs and that these weren't ever actually OFFICIAL merchandise?

Pete

Wow!

Look! Harmony Gold takes random cheap crappy plastic dolls and shoves them in a box that says 'Robotech' on them - even though the dolls have NOTHING TO DO with Macross or even "Robotech"!

What a genius strategy!

Then again, given how that "Minmei action figure" on the card came out...maybe I should be thankful they stuck random dolls into boxes..sh!t...that action figure is beyond ugly. But...

Wait...

Please tell me they are bootlegs and that these weren't ever actually OFFICIAL merchandise?

Pete

Silly rabbit, everything HG makes is bootleg. Just look at robotech!

Going to your own personal hell, maybe.

Its quite annoying actually that there seems to be little resale value in a lot of SF novels. Dr Who novelisations of the original series are becoming rarer but they still are really cheap on Ebay.

Taksraven

[offtopic response]

IMO, no... you have thrown them away, er... "donated" them... (if applicable) just make sure you report that in your "tax return".

[end offtopic response]-

NO new series, HG only have these, again and again

*facepalm* kresphy, my boy, he's just saying that the 1st part of Robotech, "The Macross Saga", i.e. the bastardized SDF Macross, is on Hulu.com. It's not a new series. :rolleyes:

Wow!

What a genius strategy!

Wait...

Pete

Nope, sadly they were official merchandise