Toynami:

It is possible to do the whole transforming and joining thang.  I was just dying to do it for months!  I started to build my own version and yes, it's possible!  The excuses are over!  Maybe we need to send somebody a petition or somehing?  You can't fight city hall, but you can take on license holders! :angry:

420102[/snapback]

That's interesting, would you mind posting some pics of your work? I always imagined that the Alpha's die-cast would've made it too heavy for any sort of discreet connector. The connector would need to be strong enough so that the weight of the Alpha would be supported by just holding the Beta in your hand and vice versa.

Here's the ultimate solution:

1) Toynami ditches 1/55 scale... it works in the Macross universe well but does not work for Robotech where all the mechs outside of the Macross Saga were much smaller.

2) Toynami redesigns the VF-1 in 1/35 scale. That's right, 1 friggin' 35 scale. I've even fabbed up a design that's better than the Yammy 1/48 (IMHO of course) for full transformation and non-removal of parts (although the intake covers are tricky).

3) Release 1/35 scale figures to go along with the new 1/35 scale VF-1s. Yeah, they'd be small but you could make them decent representations and somewhat poseable (Hip, shoulder, elbow, knee, neck).

4) Release 1/35 scale Alpha with all the lessons learned from the first attempt including foresight of a massive 1/35 Beta to be released later.

5) Make some $$ in the meantime by selling little toys for the 1/35 figures like hovercycles, cyclones(non transformable... or break-apart transformation if they're really brave), Jim/Lunk's jeep . Another thought would to be make the main characters only available if you laid out the $$ for their respective mechs.

6) Release a 1/35 scale Beta.

7) Release a 1/35 scale Hovertank (any smaller and it'd be too small anyway.

Here's the kicker, sell everything in boxes that are just functional but focus on making the products inside superior.

Exo, in regard to Toynami's construction techniques, glue is cheaper and allows for sloppier tolerances than screws. In the Alpha's case it seems that the screws would have been too hard to conceal in several instances also. The Yamato 1/60s have lots and lots of screw covers on them but they flake off really easily and look funky. Toynami probably figured it was better just to go the glue route and hope nobody ever wanted to take the toy apart... not realizing how easily broken this thing was going to be.

It wouldn't surprise me if Toynami created a mock Beta just to push more Alpha sales.

Holy crap, I never even thought of that!!

:o

I remember seeing the actual BETA prototype toy in Toynami's display case at last year's animeExpo convention and getting all excited about the prospect of finally ... finally owning a BETA that would link up to my MPC ALPHA. What a crock!!

HG/Toynami .. you bastards!!!

:angry:

1/35 figures like hovercycles, cyclones(non transformable.

420241[/snapback]

You had me until non-transformable.

Yeah, I said it. I want 1/35, transformable Cyclones. Man, they wouldn't even be 3 inches tall.

Anyway, I used to have that exact same fantasy when I was young. I remember daydreaming of all the Robotech mecha in the same scale. I think 1/35 was about what I thought would work, too.

EDIT: Maybe 1/24 would be better. GI Joe was 1/18 and they had an F-14. What would a 1/24 valk be, like 2 feet long?

Here's the kicker, sell everything in boxes that are just functional but focus on making the products inside superior.

They can sell them in potato sacks for all I care.

Edited by danth

Ack, I only planned on buying the Lancer Alpha since I wanted a green plane before, then I saw the Beta prototype at Anime Expo last year and then got the Scott Alpha just so I could get the Beta when it came out, and now this? Shizack!

Actually I am not sure what is going on in the circles of Toynami/HG. I see this post:

I went to the Con and I had a chance to talk to the designer of all the Toynami mechs, Daisuke Fukuda. He is a really cool guy. I had a chance to show him what I had done with my ROBOTECH MPCs and my MPC Voltron and I got his signature on all my MPC boxes. I also had him sign my Con Exclusive 1/100 VF-1S Hikaru! 

A truely under appreciated artist. I mean the guy is at the Con every year and he was surprised I wanted his signature. Truely a humble guy.

Anyways, you know I had to talk about the Beta. He said that after watching the Shadow Chronicles, he is re-working the mold for the Beta. He also mentioned a sleek stealth like version of the Alpha/Beta with a synchro cannon from Shadow Chronicles that has caught his eye, so all is not lost with the Beta! 

We aslo talked about Southern Cross. I reminded him that there is a big interest in Southern Cross toys and that MPC Southern Cross Hover Tanks would be close to the size of the new 1/100 VF-1s so production costs should not be that much...that does not mean I would pay $79.99 for a smaller MPC Hover Tank, but I would pick them up at a reasonable price.

So what is the verdict? I am not even sure there is one now. <_<

i must be one of those weirdos that doesnt care about scale...i just want them to be the same size...so a cyclone would be as tall as a valk, would be as tall as a destroid monster, alph, beta, whatever. Sort of like the SOC toys...not even remotely in scale with each other, but look awesome displayed together.

Yeah, I've always suspected we'll see a Shadow Chronicles lines of toys.  By its very nature this means we'd see new Alpha toys and, potentially, Beta toys.

420742[/snapback]

I guess we'll see a line of Shadow Chronicles toys, IF (and that's a big one) the feature does well .... I'm not holding my breath on that. There's been sooooo much anticipation, I don't think it'll meet the buildup of fan expectation.

:p

Edited by Vermillion21

The reason they didn't sell well is because they're not worth it.  If they would have came out with a bigger, more robust version that looked good and fitted well, then I would have bought multiples.  I still love my 1/35 scale Alphas, especially how they come with the little gray figure. That little figure is sculpted better than most of Toynami stuff.  And what's the deal with not being to dismantle them either?  Are they afraid someone is going to steal their ideas?  They dont want anyone to fix all the breakage so we might just have to buy another one?  The fact that the 1/48s are so easy to take apart is probably another selling point.  Customization, baby... that's why we buy more than one!

420064[/snapback]

I Frankensteined 3 Alphas I had with issues. What a pain in the ass. One blue Alpha's foot broke, a Shadow Alpha's knee wouldn't bend, and another blue Alpha had a lopsided knee because it was missing an internal part. I used the bad Shadow to swap out parts to fix the other blue ones. I reassembled the Shadow with the bad parts and sent it back to Toynami to get a replacement Shadow, which thankfully, didn't have any major issues. Hell, I even kept the gun from the one I sent back, and got another gun with the replacement. I stored away unopened green and red Alphas without opening them, so now I have to find them to see what major QC issues I may find. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I should have checked them out right away.

I, too, got suckered into buying more Alpha's in anticipation of the Beta.

Well guys..is time to ask some of the model gurus here to start making a new resin project..??

418568[/snapback]

Is there some reason nobody has ever made a resin re-cast of the rare Tread toy? I know I'd buy one if it was reasonably priced. I'd also assume that the rights to that toy probably don't exist anymore (or have expired). Out of all the resin stuff I've seen like resin heads and part sets, why no resin Beta/Tread? Would it even take that much resin to reproduce? Surely you could find the screws at a local hardware store.

I've heavily considered making a beta out of plastic just b/c I want one and I can't shell out $250 for a Toynami one (if they ever make it). I just can't figure out how to make rounded parts with the plastic (like the jet's cockpit area).

I would imagine because those betas are crazy expensive, and no one who owns or has bought one wants to disassemble (and possibly ruin) one to make resin casts.

Plus it is ugly as hell. Not many resin model makers would bother with it. It looks like the cheap plastic toy that it was.

I, too, got suckered into buying more Alpha's in anticipation of the Beta.

I feel your pain/anguish at Toynami mate.

<_<

420956[/snapback]

ugh. I took mine out of storage just for kicks... man. what a POS. people complaining about the QC of yamato and defending toynami really need to take join the rest of us in the real world... bizzare diecast use makes the arms heavy as hell, weak brittle plastic used in the worst places, locking mechanisms in the legs that barely hold the weight if at all. I'm so glad I didn't buy any more of these things.

Is there some reason nobody has ever made a resin re-cast of the rare Tread toy?  I know I'd buy one if it was reasonably priced.  I'd also assume that the rights to that toy probably don't exist anymore (or have expired).  Out of all the resin stuff I've seen like resin heads and part sets, why no resin Beta/Tread?  Would it even take that much resin to reproduce?  Surely you could find the screws at a local hardware store. 

421338[/snapback]

Like Phyrox said, the rare Tread toy is a POS. On top of that, it's not in scale with the Toynami Alpha. I believe it's 1/72 scale, making it relatively small, and the only Legioss it can connect with is the equally craptastic 1/72 Legioss.

probably been said before, but this boggles me.

when Yamato 1st introduced the 1/48 line they had provisions for the fast packs, so obviuosly they were designed allready. If Toynami didnt design provisions for the beta on the Alpha how do they expect it to attach?

probably been said before, but this boggles me.

when Yamato 1st introduced the 1/48 line they had provisions for the fast packs, so obviuosly they were designed allready. If Toynami didnt design provisions for the beta on the Alpha how do they expect it to attach?

421569[/snapback]

Well, if they were to produce the Beta (which they arent') the part(s) used to combine the two will be produced alongside with it.

Toynami thinks there trully is not enough demand for the mecha. So they just can't justify it to themselves to produce it.

I'm not saying that the Beta WILL be released, but Toynami stated sometime ago that those two pegs in the crotch of the Alphas (that serve no pourpose whatsoever), are in fact to connect to a mock-up Beta they made when designing the Alphas.

I believe this is true, but I seriously doubt it'll work on an actual Beta given how heavy the Alpha is. It doesn't mean Toynami couldn't come up with an extra support system, such an extra detachable piece to help them connect to each other.

I'm not saying that the Beta WILL be released, but Toynami stated sometime ago that those two pegs in the crotch of the Alphas (that serve no pourpose whatsoever), are in fact to connect to a mock-up Beta they made when designing the Alphas.

I believe this is true, but I seriously doubt it'll work on an actual Beta given how heavy the Alpha is. It doesn't mean Toynami couldn't come up with an extra support system, such an extra detachable piece to help them connect to each other.

421631[/snapback]

I could see that working when the alpha links up in bot mode with the beta, but the fighter mode link up is the most questionable in my mind. There's a lot of weight to be supported and the alpha in fighter mode isn't the most solid design.

421631[/snapback]

those pegs hold the legs in Fighter Mode. The connector they had on their proto was just a cup that held the entire crotch piece. And there was another piece on top that pressed down on it. Didn't look secure at all.

The biggest hurdle to overcome in making a connecting Beta to the existing Alpha is the sheer mass of the Alpha. The engineers and marketing geniuses at Toynami put themselves in a nasty little corner by using so much die cast in their design (about 50% of it unnecessary and even detrimental). This mass will create a considerable amount of torque on the connecting boom of the Beta and this will create stress and instability that is likely to result in many Alphas or Betas taking a suicidal dive when the combined Legioss is held by any one of the individual units. While Toynami may find a way to address this oversight(?) in design, the solution may be a whole new Alpha (that would not fly too well with anyone who has already purchased the current versions), or additional bracing pieces to properly lock the two mechs together (a sloppy solution at best).

Yeah, I've always suspected we'll see a Shadow Chronicles lines of toys.  By its very nature this means we'd see new Alpha toys and, potentially, Beta toys.

420742[/snapback]

We will see them. I heard somewhere when funimation was accounced as the distributor that they wanted them since it would be good in promotions and they wanted a series that could sell toys. Also it was mentioned@the panel I went to.

421631[/snapback]

those pegs hold the legs in Fighter Mode. The connector they had on their proto was just a cup that held the entire crotch piece. And there was another piece on top that pressed down on it. Didn't look secure at all.

421651[/snapback]

Call me stubborn, but I've actually wondered sometimes if those pegs aren't blocking the legs to be pressed against the crotch all the way to better lock the arms in fighter mode, (causing those nasty gaps between the shoulder and the forearm). If the Beta is finally released and don't use them, maybe I'll just end up chopping them off <_<

I'm in a different state from my alphas now, but I know that those pegs go into the gap between the lower leg and knee area in fighter mode.

They are supposed to fill the gap so things aren't too loose.

I don't think they do the job very well, and they are more trouble than they are worth...but they are not part of a Beta connection.

I'm in a different state from my alphas now, but I know that those pegs go into the gap between the lower leg and knee area in fighter mode.

They are supposed to fill the gap so things aren't too loose.

I don't think they do the job very well, and they are more trouble than they are worth...but they are not part of a Beta connection.

Holy crap is the Alpha ever a fight to get back into fighter mode. Yes, those tabs are meant to hold the legs. I've actually found that the vast majority of people who say their Alpha sits on its chest instead of the landing gears actually haven't managed to get their Alpha back into the proper fighter mode... most likely due to those tabs.

Believe me, I'd be the first to overlook the flaws on any new Legioss toy but damn, the design of that toy doesn't work at all in that scale. Whoever mentioned the retarded use of diecast in the arms was spot on too. Eh, I still think it looks gorgeous though and that's why I've got so many of 'em.

Is there some reason nobody has ever made a resin re-cast of the rare Tread toy?  I know I'd buy one if it was reasonably priced.  I'd also assume that the rights to that toy probably don't exist anymore (or have expired).  Out of all the resin stuff I've seen like resin heads and part sets, why no resin Beta/Tread?  Would it even take that much resin to reproduce?  Surely you could find the screws at a local hardware store. 

421338[/snapback]

Two reasons; one is that those that have them probably wouldn't be willing to let their Tread be subjected to the recast process and the other one is that it's a crappy, ugly little toy.

421338[/snapback]

Two reasons; one is that those that have them probably wouldn't be willing to let their Tread be subjected to the recast process and the other one is that it's a crappy, ugly little toy.

421829[/snapback]

just thought it was funny..... "it's a crappy, ugly little toy."

I still want one, though not from Toynami or the little one.

Cube

I agree with you i certainly wouldnt mind having them all

the same height. not necessarily 1/48 or 1/55 size but if

they were somewhere inbetween that might be ok. though

i think the 1/60 Vf-1 is just right for a display case. 1/48

rule in terms transformation , yeah top notch. the SOC

arent in scale but they are defintatley great

representations of the characters.

Edited by Macross73

If I remember correctly I still have the Beta/Alpha Pics from AX05.

Thing is I never picked it up from the developer in a year so I have to get it through the company. The film carried most of my AX05 pics.

Damnit! Oh well Im too lazy to get it anyways...unless...?

I'd really like to see Toynami just do non-transforming all-plastic static or somewhat poseable Legioss/Tread figures in a smaller scale along the lines of Kenner's Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles with display stands: A 2-pack with a Legioss/Tread in Armo-Soldier modes, a 3-pack with non-joined and joined Legioss/Tread in fighter modes, and another 2-pack with joined Legioss/Tread with one having the Legioss in Soldier mode and another having the Legioss in Armo-Diver mode (these modes were possible when combined with the Tread, right?). They could be the size of the larger K&M Macross figures or a little bigger.

The joined figures could be molded together or glued together, so there's no need to worry about a link up and made of light plastic and come with a display stand to hold the combined figures. It's wishful thinking, but I hope it's a possibility if the 1/100 line takes off, or the Shadow Chronicles movie is received well.

Edited by sidearmsalpha