Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)

36 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I'm curious if the Macross shows will get dubs or just subs?

As far as the ones that have never been dubbed, they probably will. I don’t know if they’ll keep any of the existing dubs for plus and 2 though. I also don’t know if there will be odd edits in the localizations. But one thing is Disney might actually get better voice actors than something from crunchy roll.

17 minutes ago, Big s said:

As far as the ones that have never been dubbed, they probably will. I don’t know if they’ll keep any of the existing dubs for plus and 2 though. I also don’t know if there will be odd edits in the localizations. But one thing is Disney might actually get better voice actors than something from crunchy roll.

I hope so....the one thing that usually keeps me from watching and staying interested in any anime is the voice acting....it's usually terrible...

Maybe Disney can bring in some A-Listers to the Macross dubs...

8 minutes ago, MisaForever said:

How much you wanna bet Disney will remove parts from the different series that they don't like or agree with. 😛

They didn't remove anything from Chainsaw Man, why would they move content from Macross?

Edited by Duke Togo

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

That's interesting.  I'm not at all familiar with how they treat mature content (or Chainsaw Man, for that matter), so my curiosity is mostly how they'd treat the central subject matter in Plus.

Internationally, non-Disney content goes on Star; in the US (or NA?) it's on Hulu. But it's all under one app.

Edited by Duke Togo

14 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

They didn't remove anything from Chainsaw Man, why would they move content from Macross?

Well.... that's something I suppose. We'll just have to see. I have no faith in the mouse brand at all.

I bring up Star (and Hulu, because I'm in the US) because Star was mentioned in the press release. I assume that's where Macross will reside, not directly on Disney+.

Edit: Japanese Macross website says definitively it'll be on Star. 

Edited by Duke Togo

• azrael changed the title to Macross streaming on Disney+ (or Star outside of North America)
1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

Chainsaw Man is not directly on D+. D+ has been known for editing movies and shows inconsistently. I’m not sure if they touched Deadpool at all, but the did edit Splash and that wasn’t even R rated. I’d be disappointed if they did something to that scene in the first episode of frontier when that guy got juiced.

4 minutes ago, Big s said:

Chainsaw Man is not directly on D+. D+ has been known for editing movies and shows inconsistently. I’m not sure if they touched Deadpool at all, but the did edit Splash and that wasn’t even R rated. I’d be disappointed if they did something to that scene in the first episode of frontier when that guy got juiced.

But it's not going to be directly on Disney+. It's going to be on Star (or probably Hulu in the US).

4 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

But it's not going to be directly on Disney+. It's going to be on Star (or probably Hulu in the US).

It would make more sense to be on Hulu, but the poster still says D+. I guess we’ll find out one day

While the prospect of Zero finally dubbed has me overjoyed...

The censoring agenda has me very, very gloomy...

That said, it forces me to give the Mouse money...

9 minutes ago, Big s said:

It would make more sense to be on Hulu, but the poster still says D+. I guess we’ll find out one day

I've read it's D+ for the whole lot... 

Now I wonder the possibility of eventual US/Euro Blu-Ray releases? 

Edited by Raikkonen

The official Macross website says it will be on Star. We don't have Star in the US; that content generally ends up on Hulu.

I mean, could it end up on Disney+ in the US? I suppose, but that's not their standard operating procedure.

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Whatever platform it actually lands on in the US, I consider it good news from an accessibility standpoint. Hoping for Disney since I have a subscription already, but agree that it seems like an odd pairing. 

It’s definitely good news. The other odd bit is a higher likelihood of seeing it released physically as well much sooner than later

• azrael changed the title to Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)
11 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

I'm not sure I understand this. We complained for decades about how difficult it was to get anything Macross outside of Japan. And now that it's opening up and we'll have legal options, you're still going to pirate it? That's kinda a stick in the eye to Big West who is trying to make this available to us.

The Word you are looking for is...

INTEGRITY.

Some of us hold the suits of Teh Mouse in High Contempt and not without cause.

But Pirating at this point, if you already watch HALO and anything Star Wars, is a mute action at best.

Summer Time Rendering was a show that ended up in the 'Disney+ jail' where it was available internationally on Disney+ but nowhere in the US. Eventually it was added to Hulu in the US rather than Disney+. There wasn't any censorship I noticed as opposed to the version I acquired from elsewhere.

56 minutes ago, Jeff J said:

I see this as one step in the right direction. More access to Macross is a good thing, but want to see what strings are attached.

I suspect the response will be a rousing rendition of Pinocchio's "I've got no strings".