The 3rd episode just jumped the shark for me.  Ashoka deflecting fighter blaster bolts is just utterly contrived and asinine.  You know, there is this whole area on this ugly looking ship they can shoot at, and they just all happen to focus on the one area where Ashoka happened to be standing, and oh, by the way, get close enough for her to light saber one of those ships.

Are they trying to outdo the Rey slicing off Kylo's tie fighter bit, which was equally pointless.  I think Dave should've stuck with animation, it was better that way.  Just like Disney to do live action and ruin the good stuff.  Speaking of which, when are they going to do live action of Toy Story, there is the whole Pixar lineup that they could pillage.

Can't wait for live action Bug's Life or Finding Nemo, those ought to be really good. 

Edited by kalvasflam

6 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

I think Dave should've stuck with animation, it was better that way.

I haven't seen Ahsoka, nor do I have any interest in doing so.  But is it just me, or is she Dave's "creators pet character"?  'Cuz it seems like she's shoe-horned into any story he's involved with to me.

1 hour ago, CoryHolmes said:

I haven't seen Ahsoka, nor do I have any interest in doing so.  But is it just me, or is she Dave's "creators pet character"?  'Cuz it seems like she's shoe-horned into any story he's involved with to me.

Yes she's his pet character or even a Mary Sue if you will.  He's clearly attached to all his characters. How else do you explain how they all survived the Clone Wars and Rebels in one piece, are still in the prime of their lives and accomplish feats better than Lucas's creations?

This version of Ahsoka isn't even a character. She's just written as generic wise master. Zip personality and zip motivation.  Maybe the cartoons she's a great character but in live action they give you nothing about Ahsoka to care about.

5 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

At this point I think she is more a "glue" character that holds the old Skywalker centric Star Wars together with the non-Skywalker future (there are none left after all - I don't count Rey as a Skywalker).  We will see if she ends up being everywhere.

As for her personality, in Clone Wars and Rebels the largest part of her personality was as a foil to Annakin/Vader,  basically she is the Annakin that does not turn into Vader).  They have not given her any real existence outside of being that foil yet.  Your correct though, they need to get her some personality.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

May be it's time to reboot all of Star Wars again.

literally, start with a new Episode IV again, all new actors and actresses, except James Earl Jones of course.  But with a modern touch.

Sure... Lets have Lucasfilm, the studio that, under the mismanagement of KK and Disney, has systematically ruined Star Wars for the vast majority of legacy fans, driving them away while miserably failing to attract any significant numbers of new ones, reboot the franchise from scratch with "current year" hang-ups and lack of creativity or narrative talent (even when, despite themselves, they create something relatively good, Andor, few care and fewer watch) tailored for -- the obviously nonexistent -- modern audiences.  What could possibly go wrong?:p

Personally, I'd love to see them do it... the massive ensuing trainwreck would be glorious.

13 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Sure... Lets have Lucasfilm, the studio that, under the mismanagement of KK and Disney, has systematically ruined Star Wars for the vast majority of legacy fans, driving them away while miserably failing to attract any significant numbers of new ones, reboot the franchise from scratch with "current year" hang-ups and lack of creativity or narrative talent (even when, despite themselves, they create something relatively good, Andor, few care and fewer watch) tailored for -- the obviously nonexistent -- modern audiences.  What could possibly go wrong?:p

Personally, I'd love to see them do it... the massive ensuing trainwreck would be glorious.

See, you have the right idea, when it is obvious to even the blind that the Franchise you spent billions buying is going down the tubes, the only thing left to do is toss more money at the problem.  Desperate times... If it doesn't work, then well, Sideshow Bob wouldn't have lost anything by trying.  What are they going to do, fire him?

That would be like firing the Disney Jesus. 

Besides, Leia needs some updates anyway, I'm thinking a gender fluid character here.  Han can be a crook with a moral compass, such as when he shoots Greedo, he actually breaks down and sobs, cause how would Greedo's mom feel?  C3PO and R2 could constantly lecture all the characters about what is acceptable in polite society, and really, moisture farms, what will that do to the environment on Tatooine.  (yep, definitely needs an environmental message here... and the Empire could be busy ruining the galaxy with their wanton harvesting of whatever is the oil equivalent in that galaxy long ago and far away)  Luke can... well, actually Luke can stay like he is before, just import his cynical personality from The Last Jedi Luke.  Heck, you could make Palpatine into an evil CEO of a galactic corporation that came to be the power behind the government.  (gotta get the anti-capitalist bit in here)

And TA DA, modern Star Wars.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

literally, start with a new Episode IV again, all new actors and actresses, except James Earl Jones of course.  But with a modern touch.

I find it interesting that they're willingly to use the new Mon Mothma but insist on using deep fake Luke. Episode IV is classic movie. Doesn't need a remake. That treatment is for movies that didn't work. Someone in the present sees something good in an old movie that bombed years ago and proves that could have been a great movie by remaking it. There are probably interesting one-season only miniseries that they could be made with legacy characters like they did with Obi-Wan but like make them good this time. Remove them from the strict Disney canon.

One of the many disappointments of Obi-Wan was not having him fight all Inquisitors. Imagine him taking them all out in Kurosawa style showdown. But the Inquisitors have to be alive so they can appear in Rebels and Video games. In Solo they had a cameo of Darth Maul. For what reason? Was he going to be the villain of 2 Solo 2 Serious? Maul couldn't die in a sequel because he has to be killed by Obi-Wan in Rebels for the second time. Disney threw out the Expanded Universe for a good reason. It was bloated and would made limited their ability to tell new stories. That's now the same case with Disney's current canon. TV shows, Movies, Cartoons, Comics and Books I guess it is all canon now. Some ideas that worked well in the cartoons should have been left there. Good for a cartoon doesn't equal good for TV. Problem is one Disney biggest creatives in charge was responsible for those cartoons. I don't think Filoni going to let that past die for the sake of making good television.

Definitely got a samurai feeling from the fights.

You knew, as soon as Ahsoka busted out the reverse saber grip, someone’s ass was gonna get handed to ‘em.

Okay,

Spoiler

who had Anakin appearing in the World Between Worlds?  Didn’t expect that particular scenario to happen.

Didn’t expect to hear that Sabine’s clan got wiped out either (during what I assume was the Night of a Thousand Tears).

No wonder she’s so desperate to find Ezra and been grumpier than the last time we saw her.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:38 AM, kalvasflam said:

Go to Youtube. Search for "Star Wars directed by<insert director's name>". There are a bunch of AI generated videos to click on.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:22 PM, Roy Focker said:

find it interesting that they're willingly to use the new Mon Mothma but insist on using deep fake Luke. Episode IV is classic movie. Doesn't need a remake. That treatment is for movies that didn't work.

Silly as it is, Genevieve O'Reilly is around the same age now (46) as when Caroline Blakiston portrayed Mon Mothma back in 1983 (Ms. Blakiston was ~48). So having Ms. O'Reilly portray Mon Mothma, now, kinda works. It's easy to add more age to Ms. O'Reilly. Taking it away from Mark Hamill is not as easy. Good luck de-aging Caroline Blakiston today.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:22 PM, Roy Focker said:

Disney threw out the Expanded Universe for a good reason. It was bloated and would made limited their ability to tell new stories. That's now the same case with Disney's current canon.

I actually liked certain elements of the EU. Especially the part where there was no "The First Order". I was perfectly happy with the Empire Remanent. Then Disney and JJ gave us the JJ Abrams presents the Galactic Empire-lite.

15 minutes ago, azrael said:

I actually liked certain elements of the EU. Especially the part where there was no "The First Order". I was perfectly happy with the Empire Remanent. Then Disney and JJ gave us the JJ Abrams presents the Galactic Empire-lite.

Same here. Having the Imperial remnant around made way more sense. At least we get the remnant now in the Mandalorian and Ahsoka. Hopefully we get to see the progression from one to the other in an interesting way. 

Spoiler

It's interesting to note Anakin is in his episode 3 gear. He did have interactions with the Father , the daughter and the son whom watched  over the time/space portals. During the animated Clone Wars. This may be his past self running into Ahsoka's future self, within those realms. She did get zapped while the map was open, so apparently she was transported there..

bet Sabine and Ezra come back riding a space whale..:lol:

Spoiler

No scar on Ani’s face either.

And can we finally put all those “Marrok is Ezra or some other character” rumors to death?

Once again, Inquisitors are only good for being main characters’ saber-fodder.

Edited by Mog

27 minutes ago, Mog said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No scar on Ani’s face either.

And can we finally put all those “Marrak is Ezra or some other character” rumors to death?

Spoiler

Ya, I honestly wasn't expecting Marrok to be Star killer or Ezra. Or some other grand reveal. Though i am curious what race or entity the former inquisitor was. 
As far as Anakin's lack of scar, that is very curious , as it shows up between episodes 2&3 . And though there are no real canon explanations for it ( a few non canon) , he most certainly has it by the time he's in that gear. I hope this isn't some alternate universe Anakin. But it might be..

Spoiler

I’m guessing Force Ghost Ani’.  

Bastard got to revert back to his younger self, so he probably removed the scar too.

And he called her Snips. :good:

One thing I forgot to mention:  kinda intriguing that Ahsoka Force-smacked Shin into a column (thinking that Shin had killed Sabine).  Definitely showing her old master’s temper.

1 hour ago, Mog said:
  Hide contents

And can we finally put all those “Marrok is Ezra or some other character” rumors to death?

This one of those thing I find annoying amongst Star Wars fandom. As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. For weeks, the speculation-mill has run rampant with thousands of theories. Hey dumbasses, how about the obvious answer? 🙄 There was no twist. Sit down. Shut up and watch the damn show. And put down the phone. Stop checking Twitter/X/whatever it wants to call itself this week, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube talking heads, etc, and just watch the damn show. 🙄

Spoiler

On a bright note, at least the producers were smart enough to give Baylan his own fighting style. I recognize that broad, powerful, claymore swing anywhere. 

Pretty sure that was not past-Anakin. Considering where we end this week, and since he’s dead, he can project whatever the hell he wants to look like in that space. Except for the bad wig. 

6 hours ago, azrael said:

This one of those thing I find annoying amongst Star Wars fandom. As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. For weeks, the speculation-mill has run rampant with thousands of theories. Hey dumbasses, how about the obvious answer? 🙄 There was no twist. Sit down. Shut up and watch the damn show. And put down the phone. Stop checking Twitter/X/whatever it wants to call itself this week, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube talking heads, etc, and just watch the damn show

You talk like this is a new thing, but it's not. Remember Dallas and "Who shot JR?" from the 80s? If that's too old how about Reimagined Galactica and it's "Who is a  Cylon?" nonsense?

People are always going to theorize and make guesses about the shows they're invested in, the only difference you aren't going to hear about it in Entertainment Tonight, Sci Fi Weekly, or the entertainment section of your local newspaper now that they have Discord, Facebook, Twitter/X, and Youtube.

The bad guys are still idiots.  But it's less obvious this round than the last.  But that's not exactly raising the bar that high.

And by the way, hero, if you wanted to stop the map, just lightsaber it like the Sith wannabe, heck, she wouldn't even have been disarmed doing that.  Or do a little force push to shove the ball into the ocean, you know, anyone of half a dozen things.  But whatever. 

Spoiler

Ahsoka had to face down her Balrog to become Ahsoka the White.

Definitely fan service.  

But would have liked an actual knighting ceremony after the fight.  Wouldn’t be the first “different from the norm” knighting ceremony we’ve seen.