SDC 2023

Hi all, just an update. We are slated for 10/7, but due to staff shortages and our graphics designer being really busy, we have not set up any official announcements. I'm hoping this weekend that we can set it all up and get the registration going, but it's a small crew this year. We are also going to be making some changes, but that shouldn't hinder the event itself. Macross, even while in it's 40th anniversary stage, has been kinda quiet with the ending of Delta, and the younger fans, as I'm sure you're aware, follow anime like pop music. That said, we'll be looking for panelists, a few vendors, and some special guests this year. I hope to have news soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Tickets are up, but we haven't made the announcements on social media. Give it a few days, and I'll provide the link once we make the official announcement. If any of you are vendors, we have very limited vendor space indoors, and are looking for vendors that specifically sell a good amount of Macross, Mospeada, Southern Cross (if there's still any), and Gundam merchandise. If you are interested in that, send an email to sdcvendors@gmail.com Aside from that, we're official again this year.

• 1 month later...

From Facebook post by Lionel Lum
"Nicer photos of my Macross 40th Anniversary public display at Fanime 2023. Additional test shots at night with my new Galaxy Star Projectors. All Zentraedi ships are 1/3000 scale. All Macross is 1/1450 scale. *NO 3D PRINT* Due to debut at Super Dimension Convention MacrossWorld (date still to be announced)."

image.jpeg.d4d50373e632f53444504689cfffbf8e.jpeg

image.jpeg.cff5e2ba5201b6f6a686444b40884d78.jpeg

image.jpeg.133573d5b7a771660e2c50c597e573e2.jpeg

image.jpeg.79e0b0c34018e16617c5659236142cf6.jpeg

image.jpeg.fe6f8bb385c5573f7de6ea903f0f6f60.jpeg

image.jpeg.521c588f705a9efb527d24b8c57ef66f.jpeg

image.jpeg.f8769f50d204371e139ed0baa0f3f398.jpeg

image.jpeg.e6e3bbd29bffc947e3a8846c9d2f0267.jpeg

image.jpeg.928193bec901a92229e406a9f1eaed17.jpeg

image.jpeg.bd69868ad3b5fcd57a12153b49d7db94.jpeg

image.jpeg.91c8ca2b4d4f5d7f7d921a0500b998f3.jpeg

image.jpeg.686b10602eeb4546d52a244a3ab83eae.jpeg

The Megaroad looks awesome. :wub: 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the official banner announcements. Registration for attendees, vendors, and artists is now live. There are very limited number of tables for Vendors and artists, so if you want to do that, they may be gone by AX time in early July. We are going to have some cool swag stuff with the full body art of these characters, too, so that will be available coming later, as well as guest announcements, and some other cool stuff.

2023_Rumi_FB_Announcement.jpg.29c33dc2d3d82f5ea517c8345d779101.jpg

2023_Rina_FB_Announcement.jpg.872e9efb20a083993140d9c6d1135599.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was packing until 1am , and then only got 1.5 hours sleep, so I was a complete zombie and don't remember most of the day

But I have pictures to prove I was there and selling stuff to support the server fees here :)

My daughter help me make a 'Vote for your favorite VF-1' valkyrie setup...it is a little tally push button to register your choice.
We had 1982 Takatoku 1/55 > 2002 Yamato 1/48 > 2022 Bandai DX...20 years of development in each stage

The final at the end of the day were:
50% Bandai DX 
28% Yamato (fully stickered)
22% Takatoku (Bandai reissue with all the tampo was the stand in)

I'll be posting the stuff that didn't sell in the For Sale page soon.

I am very disappointed I didn't get pictures of anything else, I felt like complete crud and stayed in my little cave the entire time.
I hope others can post pics of their setups and the displays.

Chris Barretta was next to to me with his 1/55 Custom Anniversary heads and heat shields, they looked phenomenal!!! You'll see more of those here soon!
And to my other side was XSToys with all his insano Takatoku and Vintage collection, I was amongst the greats!
That is the XSToys's built 1/32Mosacto Legioss btw-it was amazing. :)

20231007_105157.jpg.dd4095dab620c680047d3b7cfd38eb29.jpg20231007_105203.jpg.fa0f9350b4ae60f4c603a091f29c0fee.jpg20231007_144019.jpg.2cf9daaab92647fdd3637f67c88e5cab.jpg20231007_144025.jpg.0d33bec5f31fce2eae32bdaed3f3254d.jpg20231007_144123.jpg.81dbc887a12e1cd0bfa1c5439cad5003.jpg20231007_144157.jpg.4d46f92337181c750cbca63a24aba821.jpg

20231007_144105.jpg

I only had time to walk through everything once but it was worth the price of admission just to do that. The foam capital ships are such amazing pieces of work! I love the displays. I own so many toys but its rare I get to see so many of them out and standing next to each other. That was the first Moscato "Buster" I've ever seen in person and wow, it's huge! 

• 3 weeks later...

There wasn't anyone especially famous this year beyond Eririn doing a performance after her Japan tour. She's not in Macross but did cover various songs and has been at the con before.

As for Mari. I think her last appearance was two years ago, and if I'm being perfectly honest... it wasn't great. She was much better 2 years prior to that one and it kinda came off that she knew it wasn't great. That's not to mention how... opinionated... she was anytime she wasn't booked for the con in any previous years. I don't know if she'll come back to SDC, but I do think it's good they are looking into a lot more options than just one repeat guest.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2023 at 7:00 PM, Master Dex said:

There wasn't anyone especially famous this year beyond Eririn doing a performance after her Japan tour. She's not in Macross but did cover various songs and has been at the con before.

As for Mari. I think her last appearance was two years ago, and if I'm being perfectly honest... it wasn't great. She was much better 2 years prior to that one and it kinda came off that she knew it wasn't great. That's not to mention how... opinionated... she was anytime she wasn't booked for the con in any previous years. I don't know if she'll come back to SDC, but I do think it's good they are looking into a lot more options than just one repeat guest.

There was literally only 2 fans that I saw that asked about Mari this past year, and one of them just wanted to complain because he's "worked with her" before". We wouldn't mind having her, but as I probably will not be heading this year (although I hold all the funds, so I guess I kinda still do), I can say a bit more on the subject. After fixing up the issues with her before the last time she showed up, and having to literally deal with her broadcasting business talks to people that should not be privy to that info, even though we had repaired everything, I didn't want to risk having this same type of thing come up again. Not only that, but her pricing is more than double what she was getting from 2016 on (from what I remember). For a con that is built around 1 day and 1 franchise (even though we have been slowly expanding outward into other related type of series), it is a small event where we can't pay that price only to maybe have an extra 10-20 people register. At her last attendance fee, we need 50 extra people just to cover her, and she doesn't bring that type of draw. The last time she brought in enough to cover her fee was years ago. I'm talking 8-10 years ago. In 2022, we "got in trouble" because we had our convention in September, and she happened to be in Japan at the time, but we were supposed to know her schedule and plan accordingly. It makes it difficult when we try to plan the convention to not be in competition with other larger events, and the center we rented has what we wanted open for the date. Sometimes, we were just stuck with two options (especially that year), and the others were near holidays or in competition with Wonder con and the sort. I could name a list of other things, but it's in the past, and it is things that other conventions have had to deal with as well. We aren't the only ones.

If we're going to pay that kind of money, I'd honestly rather go all out, and invest in flying someone from Japan in that can bring a draw. Even if it was a loss, I'd be OK with that, as having new guests brings an excitement and a new chance to make connections. If we do it this year, which is still up in the air, we may try looking at other guests, be it musicians, singers, voice actors, artists, or Mecha Designers. I also do like reaching out to local music artists as well, which is why we were able (and lucky) to get Eririn. I made sure to watch her performance, and not just the Macross songs, but her original songs were quite good.

Next year is the 40th anniversary of Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and we aren't sure what lies in store yet for next year, but once we know for certain, and who ever takes the Director position is hand picked, we'll know what we're going to do. If it is done this year, if there's any special 40th anniversary stuff, it might be a draw to a few extra people, but I'm sure that really depends on getting new guests. I'd love to get Mikimoto over, or any of the other originals, but that's something we'd need to really look at. I know they'd definitely give the con a boost. To what extent needs to be seen.

6 hours ago, Jasonc said:

There was literally only 2 fans that I saw that asked about Mari this past year, and one of them just wanted to complain because he's "worked with her" before". We wouldn't mind having her, but as I probably will not be heading this year (although I hold all the funds, so I guess I kinda still do), I can say a bit more on the subject. After fixing up the issues with her before the last time she showed up, and having to literally deal with her broadcasting business talks to people that should not be privy to that info, even though we had repaired everything, I didn't want to risk having this same type of thing come up again. Not only that, but her pricing is more than double what she was getting from 2016 on (from what I remember). For a con that is built around 1 day and 1 franchise (even though we have been slowly expanding outward into other related type of series), it is a small event where we can't pay that price only to maybe have an extra 10-20 people register. At her last attendance fee, we need 50 extra people just to cover her, and she doesn't bring that type of draw. The last time she brought in enough to cover her fee was years ago. I'm talking 8-10 years ago. In 2022, we "got in trouble" because we had our convention in September, and she happened to be in Japan at the time, but we were supposed to know her schedule and plan accordingly. It makes it difficult when we try to plan the convention to not be in competition with other larger events, and the center we rented has what we wanted open for the date. Sometimes, we were just stuck with two options (especially that year), and the others were near holidays or in competition with Wonder con and the sort. I could name a list of other things, but it's in the past, and it is things that other conventions have had to deal with as well. We aren't the only ones.

If we're going to pay that kind of money, I'd honestly rather go all out, and invest in flying someone from Japan in that can bring a draw. Even if it was a loss, I'd be OK with that, as having new guests brings an excitement and a new chance to make connections. If we do it this year, which is still up in the air, we may try looking at other guests, be it musicians, singers, voice actors, artists, or Mecha Designers. I also do like reaching out to local music artists as well, which is why we were able (and lucky) to get Eririn. I made sure to watch her performance, and not just the Macross songs, but her original songs were quite good.

Next year is the 40th anniversary of Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and we aren't sure what lies in store yet for next year, but once we know for certain, and who ever takes the Director position is hand picked, we'll know what we're going to do. If it is done this year, if there's any special 40th anniversary stuff, it might be a draw to a few extra people, but I'm sure that really depends on getting new guests. I'd love to get Mikimoto over, or any of the other originals, but that's something we'd need to really look at. I know they'd definitely give the con a boost. To what extent needs to be seen.

You should have seen her. At her last appearance at Genghis Cohen. She was PIST at the creators behind Macross. At how they gave her pennies for her work with Macross. She spoke about it there.

5 minutes ago, Swann said:

You should have seen her. At her last appearance at Genghis Cohen. She was PIST at the creators behind Macross. At how they gave her pennies for her work with Macross. She spoke about it there.

I would like to see SDC around DTLA or closer.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:28 PM, Swann said:

I've seen her out there before. If what you're saying is true, and I don't doubt it, this wouldn't be something that seems to be welcoming to any sort of convention. I know a lot of people have their opinions on it, but it still doesn't seem like she's made any peace with doing the songs or the voice. Sometimes just accepting it (even if you didn't like it at the time) opens the door to so many other things. 

10 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I've seen her out there before. If what you're saying is true, and I don't doubt it, this wouldn't be something that seems to be welcoming to any sort of convention. I know a lot of people have their opinions on it, but it still doesn't seem like she's made any peace with doing the songs or the voice. Sometimes just accepting it (even if you didn't like it at the time) opens the door to so many other things. 

I would still invite Mari to the conventions. We want to see her. Let her have her say. She is also kind with the fans. I brought ten items for her to sign there. She signed them all for free. She is just upset at them according to her. Paid her in pennies for season one and two of Macross. To other merchandise as well. She said she would do a return to Lyn Minmay and a new Macross series. If they PAID her good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 12:39 AM, Swann said:

I would still invite Mari to the conventions. We want to see her. Let her have her say. She is also kind with the fans. I brought ten items for her to sign there. She signed them all for free. She is just upset at them according to her. Paid her in pennies for season one and two of Macross. To other merchandise as well. She said she would do a return to Lyn Minmay and a new Macross series. If they PAID her good.

At this point, I'm not the director of the event anymore, so that is not my call. I hold funds for it, but that is all. It's up to the new person in charge to decide if they want to handle that. 

• 2 months later...