Tron: Ares

Thom

19 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I loved LEGACY as it had the right look and still looks great today. However I think a series would be smarter as Disney+ desperately needs new-ish content.

It took a few viewings, but I'm now of the opinion that LEGACY is one of the smartest movies I've ever seen, at least in terms of not spoon-feeding the plot to the audience.  And I count CLU as one of the more tragic villains, especially compared to Sark and the MCP in the first movie.

And yes, the soundtrack is amazing.  So are the visuals.  And I think the movie gets the short-shift when called a "2 hour Daft Punk music video".

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always in for more Tron.

Was gutted when Disney canned uprising. Loved Legacy. 

Also came across this.

- Evan Peters joined the cast.

- Was meant to start shooting in August, now halted due to strike. 

Rumoured:

- Set in real world as a evil program breaks out of the grid that attempts to take over ours. 

8 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Also came across this.

Rumoured:

- Set in real world as a evil program breaks out of the grid that attempts to take over ours. 

Yay, moar LAWN MOWER MAN lol.

14 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Rumoured:

I hope not, because that's stupid.

Programs in Tron may exhibit superhuman abilities, but they aren't actually superhuman. It is because they aren't in the real world that they can do the things they do(and why humans, once digitized, can engage in superhuman acts).

Once subject to reality and pesky details like the laws of physics, they can't take over the world. Hell, they probably can't take over a school bus.

21 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I hope not, because that's stupid.

Programs in Tron may exhibit superhuman abilities, but they aren't actually superhuman. It is because they aren't in the real world that they can do the things they do(and why humans, once digitized, can engage in superhuman acts).

Once subject to reality and pesky details like the laws of physics, they can't take over the world. Hell, they probably can't take over a school bus.

Yeah, which means if they invade us, then the the real world is also digital and thus we will have another Matrix paradox. 

I also hope not. As seen in Legacy, a program can come into the real world, but I doubt they would keep their super human abilities. At least not without a lot of suspension of belief. 

Plus, this has been done before. The movie was called Virtuosity.

Plus, plus, this wouldn't feel like a Tron movie (to me) if we don't go into the computer. 

Edited by Thom

Finally did a little reading about this film, and my enthusiasm is ebbing. This is no longer a sequel to Legacy, but a standalone film set in the Tron universe, which in itself doesn't bother me. I though Tron: Uprising was excellent, Disney's best animated show after Gargoyles, and cancelled far too soon. At the level of animation, storytelling, and voice acting they were accomplishing, I would have welcomed two or three more seasons, easily. Alas, Disney has a habit of killing the best of their IPs in lieu of mediocre or less shows and movies. as to Ares, with Tron creator/director Steve Lisberger merely taking on an "Obi-Wan -like role" in this film, and no sign of the eponymous Tron (Bruce Boxleitner), Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), or Quorra (Olivia Wilde) returning as of this post. Instead of the sequel to Legacy to tie up loose ends and finish that core story, we're getting Jared Leto producing and starring as the eponymous Ares character. I fear Mr. Leto's involvement does not inspire confidence. Maybe it'll be ok, at least watchable, but it's certainly not the direct follow-up to Legacy that I think the majority of us Tron fans would have preferred. I wish Joe Kosinsky had just gone ahead and made the sequel to Legacy concurrently or directly after its release. At least the story would have been completed with the actors all the same age and the same effects people working everything to keep it all copacetic. Alas, that didn't happen and production for this film has been a bit of a quagmire over the last decade or so. While I welcome more Tron, I'm struggling even for cautious optimism here. I sincerely hope I'm wrong for doubting and it turns out good. Jared Leto, though. :(

23 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Also came across this.

Rumoured:

Disney watch ALL fan trailer on YouTube, and ste... I meam catching ideias for a sequência 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 7/23/2023 at 6:02 PM, Dangard Ace said:

Interesting.  They brought a light cycle into the real world.  

But no Bruce Boxleitner means no Tron cause BB IS Tron.     I'll wait for more info but this isn't exciting yet.

Yeah, a Tron-less Tron film loses its primary element. I'm guessing Bruce Boxleitner will show up in there somewhere in a brief cameo role, but I haven't seen his name listed anywhere among the main cast. But we're getting Jared Leto! 🤩

Yeah, I know. 😩

6 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Yeah, a Tron-less Tron film loses its primary element. I'm guessing Bruce Boxleitner will show up in there somewhere in a brief cameo role, but I haven't seen his name listed anywhere among the main cast. But we're getting Jared Leto! 🤩

Yeah, I know. 😩

Leto has been trying so hard to get a good role in a big franchise film. He sometimes gets a decent small role, but he just can’t get the big spot. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:02 PM, Dangard Ace said:

Interesting.  They brought a light cycle into the real world.  

But no Bruce Boxleitner means no Tron cause BB IS Tron.     I'll wait for more info but this isn't exciting yet.

I wonder if Tron could be "upgraded", so that the character wouldn't be tied so much to BB.

No offense to Mr. Boxleitner, but I think someone else could do the role justice. Not to mention that should he pass, we would have to lean upon deepfake if we were to use him extensively for Tron.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I wonder if Tron could be "upgraded", so that the character wouldn't be tied so much to BB.

No offense to Mr. Boxleitner, but I think someone else could do the role justice. Not to mention that should he pass, we would have to lean upon deepfake if we were to use him extensively for Tron.

Well, they had a premise for just such a handover in Uprising, with Tron's taking on Beck as a protege and eventual successor using his name more as a title than an actual name. In that vein, Tron could be a fighter for programs' rights and freedom for infinity, with various programs taking on the mantle when the previous Tron was too old, incapacitated, or derezzed. It's a shame that Disney cancelled the show before fully realizing such a premise, but the seed is there.

8 hours ago, Big s said:

Leto has been trying so hard to get a good role in a big franchise film. He sometimes gets a decent small role, but he just can’t get the big spot. 

Leto had the lead in Morbius, but the movie met with poor reviews. I thought it was ok, and FWIW I thought Leto played it well. Maybe the new Tron film will be his comeuppance.

7 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Well, they had a premise for just such a handover in Uprising, with Tron's taking on Beck as a protege and eventual successor using his name more as a title than an actual name. In that vein, Tron could be a fighter for programs' rights and freedom for infinity, with various programs taking on the mantle when the previous Tron was too old, incapacitated, or derezzed. It's a shame that Disney cancelled the show before fully realizing such a premise, but the seed is there.

Leto had the lead in Morbius, but the movie met with poor reviews. I thought it was ok, and FWIW I thought Leto played it well. Maybe the new Tron film will be his comeuppance.

I haven’t been able to finish Morbius. It’s pretty bad for a modern movie and pretty meh for a 90’s movie. I personally have yet to see him in a good leading role 

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

Programs' rights? I thought Tron fought for the users?!

The MCP is trying to suppress and eradicate belief in the Users among programs, so in that sense, Tron, a security program designed by Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner) to monitor comms between the MCP and the User world, is fighting the MCP and its oppression of programs b/c he believes in the Users. That's my take, anyway. In TRON: Uprising, Beck, with Tron's guidance, fights Clu's and Clu's minions' oppression against programs.

11 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

If they bring Beck back as Tron to fight Leto I'd be up for that.  

I think Leto's playing the film's protagonist, and Beck's character will likely not be a part of Ares.

16 hours ago, Dynaman said:

When I think "Tron" Bruce's character does not register at all.  It is the overall look and feel that matters.  I'd say that probably covers a lot of people but Tron is still a niche property.

That's true for me, too, in the original film; despite the title, Flynn's journey was more of the focus. However, Tron got some much-deserved spotlight and character development in Uprising, and that focused, hard-nosed soldier is how I think of him now. He's damaged, inside and out, but still wants to fight Clu's oppression. He's still a hero, although sometimes his ethics are malleable, which just makes him more interesting. 

TRON is very niche, but in the best way possible. Steve Lisberger established a cool iconic look for TRON that's instantly recognizable. The visuals were cutting edge at the time, were extremely laborious to produce, and remain singularly notable to this day. To wit, the idea of programmers having themselves mirrored in the digital realm by virtue of the programs they wrote, with said programs having lives of their own within the Grid, remains unique in sci-fi. Toss in some Syd Mead designs, especially the iconic Lightcycle and Lightcycle races w/ 90 degree turns and light trails; the towering, floating, reconfigurable Recognizers; the Light Tanks; and the Solar Sailer, not to mention the disc fights, and it really is a wonder to this sci-fi fan that TRON doesn't share greater popularity with the likes of Star Wars or Star Trek. There's a ton of cool stuff in that universe that beggars for more development in tv, film, and games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I want this to be good.  I really, really want this to be good.  Tron: Legacy took a few viewings but it's become one of my favourite films ever.

I love to WATCH Tron Legacy. I don't think it is particularly well-written, but it is frickin' gorgeous.

(I was intensely disappointed that their interpretation of "inside the computer" adapted to the modern highly-networked "computers are everywhere" world by... ignoring it all and having them inside a mainframe with no outside data connection.)

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

I love to WATCH Tron Legacy. I don't think it is particularly well-written, but it is frickin' gorgeous.

(I was intensely disappointed that their interpretation of "inside the computer" adapted to the modern highly-networked "computers are everywhere" world by... ignoring it all and having them inside a mainframe with no outside data connection.)

TRON: I come from the Net - through systems, peoples, and cities - to this place: MAINFRAME.  My Format: Guardian.  To mend and defend.  To defend my newfound friends.  Their hopes and dreams.  To defend them from their enemies.  

16 hours ago, JB0 said:

I disagree about the "not well-written" part.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think the way it implies parts of its story without clubbing people over the head with it was a refreshing change.  It took me a few viewings to really appreciate some of what it was telling.

But the visuals and the oft-praised music are <CENSORED> awesome.  It's hard to pick a favourite scene because there are so many parts that individually enjoyable!

48 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

I disagree about the "not well-written" part.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think the way it implies parts of its story without clubbing people over the head with it was a refreshing change.  It took me a few viewings to really appreciate some of what it was telling.

But the visuals and the oft-praised music are <CENSORED> awesome.  It's hard to pick a favourite scene because there are so many parts that individually enjoyable!

I mean, the best way to defeat CLU was to ignore him. LET him invade the real world, and be suddenly confused that his laser rifles and super powers don't work because he isn't inside the game.

Everything falls apart once you realize that.

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

I mean, the best way to defeat CLU was to ignore him. LET him invade the real world, and be suddenly confused that his laser rifles and super powers don't work because he isn't inside the game.

Everything falls apart once you realize that.

But that's part of his fallen angel tragedy to me.  He's a shining example of intelligence without free will, compelled to create perfection out of nothingness.  And nobody knows if his laser rifles or light cycle butt-beams would work or not.  Nobody's checked what happens when a Program comes into the real world.

But I concede that the Clu thing was the least threatening plot ever.  At least the MCP, for all its contempt for humans, knew that the bigger threat was to muck around with the data it COULD access.  Besides that, everyone knows that Rinzler was the better enemy anyway 😜

Edited by CoryHolmes

4 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

And nobody knows if his laser rifles or light cycle butt-beams would work or not.  Nobody's checked what happens when a Program comes into the real world.

I mean, that's kind of the basic premise. They exist inside the computer, the laws of physics don't apply and the laws of video games reign instead.

Humans that enter the machine play by the rules of the digital world and gain superpowers, why would the opposite NOT be true?

They'd have to work VERY hard to sell me on "a 70s mainframe has the power to rewrite the laws of physics", and they really weren't trying to.

And the MCP would be terrifying in a modern networked environment.