Tron: Ares

Thom

2 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'm not hopeful.

Is it by Joseph Kozinsky again?  Because he's become on of my favourite directors in short order.

No.  Kozinsky was going to do a sequel but it never got green lit. This one is going to be by Joachim Rønning. He's done Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and currently finished Young Woman and the Sea with Daisy Ridley. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1461392/

48 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

If they're going to do another Tron movie, I'd like to see the Tron universe invade the real world en masse (Such as maybe this Ares deciding to hunt all the users in the real world).

That would end poorly for the invaders, when their superpowers and rayguns meet real-world physics and they're suddenly and unexpectedly just a bunch of dudes in LARP gear.

It kinda ruined Legacy when I realized the easiest solution to their problem was just "let Rinzler win". He portals out of cyberspace and becomes a wet sack of meat and bone. He ain't conquerin' the world like that.

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

That would end poorly for the invaders, when their superpowers and rayguns meet real-world physics and they're suddenly and unexpectedly just a bunch of dudes in LARP gear.

It kinda ruined Legacy when I realized the easiest solution to their problem was just "let Rinzler win". He portals out of cyberspace and becomes a wet sack of meat and bone. He ain't conquerin' the world like that.

Movie physics differ greatly from real physics. If he had won through to the real world, I'm sure they would have made is tech work.😉

I do hope we gets some kits. I would have loved to have some of the flyers from Legaxy as a kit. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Thom

I dig the world of TRON as well. TRON was one of the few films I got to see in the theatre as a kid and I thought it was amazing, especially the visual aspects. It was completely unique- still is, really, as TRON: Legacy used completely different techniques and tech to achieve the look, which is much shinier and cleaner than the original. But knowing all the labor put into achieving the look of the original gives me a far greater appreciation for it.

TRON was ahead of its time story-wise too, as I don't think society was really in the headspace of thinking about personifying the inner workings of a computer, which at the time was a rarity and inaccessible to the majority of people. From that perspective, as well as the duality of user and program, and using the actors to portray both, set against an evil master control program, essentially a dictator wannabe, was simple yet brilliant. 

TRON: Legacy, while prettier and more streamlined, didn't make as much of an impact on me. I like it, but the newness of ideas explored, as well as the visuals in the original set it apart. I've seen only disjointed eps of TRON; Uprising, but I think I enjoyed the toon more than Legacy. I just watched the original a few nights ago, intend to watch Uprising in its entirety on Disney Plus, and then rewatch Legacy. Not sure what they can do to expand the story, but I like the world of TRON and am open to see more exploration of it in film, tv, or even a new game. I hope ARES is well-done- I hope it surprises.

On 1/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, JB0 said:

That would be the case if real world physics held.

But what if they didn't....

What if with their invasion, the world of Tron began to transform our world, with our reality being overwritten by theirs?  Their "rayguns and superpowers" don't lose their potency, while our bullets and bombs do nothing to them?

And if the process isn't halted in a specific time period (3 days, 7 days, whatever), it becomes irreversible?

Just an idea... most likely born due to one too many late-night snacks and viewing of the original Tron.

See, my line of thought is when a human enters the mainframe, they are fully digitized, gaining the appearance and traits of a program. For all intents and purposes, they ARE a program.

When they leave and are de-digitized, they are reconstructed as normal humans.

This implies that a program would be analoged and reconstructed as a normal human in normal human clothes(thank goodness they won't show up stark naked).

If they bring The Grid with them and digitize the world... well, that's still a win since it implies everyone gets to have cool Tron powers!

But it does raise the severity of the "Rinzler's a jerkface" problem. 

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I really liked Tron, I really liked Tron: Legacy, and I absolutely LOVED Tron: Uprising.  But... not sure I like Jared Leto.

Yeah, Leto wouldn't be on my list of picks. Bring back Quorra. Or start fresh with a whole new cast, making references to Tron, Flynn, et al.  Or like Uprising, let someone else take up the mantle of Tron to fight whatever new tyrannical force is trying to suppress the Grid.

I've not seen the whole of Uprising yet, but everything about it was better than Legacy, and arguably better than the original TRON in some respects. Like the incredible Gargoyles show, Uprising seems to have been mostly ignored by Disney in lieu of promoting their usual trite fare. At least they're on Disney Plus where a whole new generation can watch them. Gargoyles remains, after all these years, one of the most well-written, produced, and performed animated shows I've seen. Like Batman: TAS, its maturity and quality of writing and characterization made it appealing not only to its younger target audience, but to adults for its depth, humor, drama, storytelling, art direction, and great writing/acting that brought the characters to life.

53 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Yeah, Leto wouldn't be on my list of picks. Bring back Quorra. Or start fresh with a whole new cast, making references to Tron, Flynn, et al.  Or like Uprising, let someone else take up the mantle of Tron to fight whatever new tyrannical force is trying to suppress the Grid.

I've not seen the whole of Uprising yet, but everything about it was better than Legacy, and arguably better than the original TRON in some respects. Like the incredible Gargoyles show, Uprising seems to have been mostly ignored by Disney in lieu of promoting their usual trite fare. At least they're on Disney Plus where a whole new generation can watch them. Gargoyles remains, after all these years, one of the most well-written, produced, and performed animated shows I've seen. Like Batman: TAS, its maturity and quality of writing and characterization made it appealing not only to its younger target audience, but to adults for its depth, humor, drama, storytelling, art direction, and great writing/acting that brought the characters to life.

Such as constructing a "Tron 2.0", right? That would allow a new actor to take the role.

And yeah: mist Batman TAS (RIP Kevin Conroy).

Well, Bruce Boxleitner isn't getting any younger, and I think they struck upon a great premise in Uprising by making him a well-damaged program who's still in the fight, but not quite what he was in his prime. Enter a new kid taking on the name and the fight, with guidance from the original Tron.  Just from what I saw of the show, I thought it was handled brilliantly, and it didn't hurt that they had some talented folks providing voices, including Tron himself, Mr. Boxleitner. It's a travesty that Disney didn't promote the hell out of this show and get wider viewing/ more seasons, as it was top shelf stuff. It honestly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they stole that premise for a new live action film.

The real curiosity though is who or what will serve as the villain in the next chapter? I'd rather they didn't rehash but came up with a new bad guy/threat to the Grid, especially one that's Machiavellian, perhaps making him/herself out to be a Tron-type all the while manipulating things to a sinister end behind the scenes. Even better, make them a zealot, in it for what they feel is a higher purpose beyond themselves with noble but misguided intentions rather than the tired old tropes of self-gratification and narcissism. The landscape of TRON, having had little in the way of expansion over the last 41 years, is still very much wide-open territory to explore various themes, as good sci-fi often is. Hopefully the producers use it to good measure and create something thoughtful and more profound than its surface beauty would suggest.

9 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Well, Bruce Boxleitner isn't getting any younger, and I think they struck upon a great premise in Uprising by making him a well-damaged program who's still in the fight, but not quite what he was in his prime. Enter a new kid taking on the name and the fight, with guidance from the original Tron.  Just from what I saw of the show, I thought it was handled brilliantly, and it didn't hurt that they had some talented folks providing voices, including Tron himself, Mr. Boxleitner. It's a travesty that Disney didn't promote the hell out of this show and get wider viewing/ more seasons, as it was top shelf stuff. It honestly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they stole that premise for a new live action film.

The real curiosity though is who or what will serve as the villain in the next chapter? I'd rather they didn't rehash but came up with a new bad guy/threat to the Grid, especially one that's Machiavellian, perhaps making him/herself out to be a Tron-type all the while manipulating things to a sinister end behind the scenes. Even better, make them a zealot, in it for what they feel is a higher purpose beyond themselves with noble but misguided intentions rather than the tired old tropes of self-gratification and narcissism. The landscape of TRON, having had little in the way of expansion over the last 41 years, is still very much wide-open territory to explore various themes, as good sci-fi often is. Hopefully the producers use it to good measure and create something thoughtful and more profound than its surface beauty would suggest.

Right; I know Bruce is aging, but I'd like to still see him in the role of the Alan Bradley in the upcoming movie (software exec shouldn't be too demanding a role!).

As for someone else taking over being Tron; that could open itself up to a lot of new directions. When one program is too damaged, a new one can step up and become Tron, with the name becoming a title (much like Turok, Ultra Magnus in the IDW first run and kind of like Dr. Who as far as the actors go).

Just as long as we don't get "Rodimus Tron"! O.o

2 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Right; I know Bruce is aging, but I'd like to still see him in the role of the Alan Bradley in the upcoming movie (software exec shouldn't be too demanding a role!).

As for someone else taking over being Tron; that could open itself up to a lot of new directions. When one program is too damaged, a new one can step up and become Tron, with the name becoming a title (much like Turok, Ultra Magnus in the IDW first run and kind of like Dr. Who as far as the actors go).

Just as long as we don't get "Rodimus Tron"! O.o

😄

Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner are, thankfully, still with us, if a little grey, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if both made at least cameos in the next film. They started the whole thing, Bruce is its namesake, and as long as they draw breath and TRON films/shows/games are made, I want to see both turn up in them somewhere, along with Steve Lisberger who dreamt the whole thing up and gave us one of the most visually and thematically distinct bits of science fiction in the history of the genre.

Not sure we'll see Bruce back as TRON. He felt burned by the third film being cancelled in the last minute by Disney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Boxleitner

In 2011, he officially announced that he will reprise his role as Alan Bradley/Tron in Tron 3. July 2015 Boxleitner said that he is done with the franchise, as "it's been too up and down for me. I would rather not just keep going. I don't want to repeat my career anymore."

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Not sure we'll see Bruce back as TRON. He felt burned by the third film being cancelled in the last minute by Disney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Boxleitner

In 2011, he officially announced that he will reprise his role as Alan Bradley/Tron in Tron 3. July 2015 Boxleitner said that he is done with the franchise, as "it's been too up and down for me. I would rather not just keep going. I don't want to repeat my career anymore."

As of September 20, 2022:

Bruce Boxleitner Wants to Come Back for TRON 3

https://movieweb.com/tron-3-bruce-boxleitner-wants-to-come-back/

Edited by pengbuzz

Just got to give it a few years - especially when the most recent roles were guest spots or Hallmark movies.

In fact, with how good de-aging software is, I wouldn't mind them using Boxleiter's de-aged face on a stunt-man's body with Bruce doing the voice. Have Tron in his prime!

18 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Have Elon Musk buy ENCOM – this stuff just writes itself... 😄

7 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Have Elon Musk buy ENCOM – this stuff just writes itself... 😄

Well... ARES could be an AI program that is designed for military use to infiltrate and destroy foreign computer systems. But what if this ARES decided to do more than just that and like CLU2.0, became corrupt?

That could lead into the storyline I was thinking of..

Edited by pengbuzz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...