Macross Shooting Insight for Switch, PS4 and Steam

Convectuoso

Back in the day, over the decades I spent so much time playing Scrambled Valkyrie, VF-X, VF-X2, VF-X2 Special Edition, DYRL, VO, M3, Macross Plus Game Edition, Macross Ace Frontier, Macross Ultimate Frontier, Macross Triangle Frontier, Macross Last Frontier and M30 (I'm sure there's a few other games I've forgot as well).

Still have the games, but Unfortunately, my Nintendo Super Famicon, PS1, Saturn, PS2 and PSP are all long gone or died years ago. My PS3 is just about hanging on, but starting to glitch.

So yeah, I'm just happy there is a new Macross game coming out for the PS4/PS5 and Switch.

Yeah, I'd prefer a proper air combat simulator type game, but I'll take whatever I can get. 😅

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For whatever reason the only people recording themselves playing this game are idiots who don't know what a frakking controller is but in the gameplay clip prior it appears there's some space harrier-style gameplay as well.  But this time they play as the VF-25 which has a different shooting pattern/style and doesn't bend towards the direction you're flying like the VF-31 does.

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

For whatever reason the only people recording themselves playing this game are idiots who don't know what a frakking controller is but in the gameplay clip prior it appears there's some space harrier-style gameplay as well.  But this time they play as the VF-25 which has a different shooting pattern/style and doesn't bend towards the direction you're flying like the VF-31 does.

It's pretty interesting they are switching up the gameplay into various shooter types. Looks like the developers are putting some genuine effort into gameplay mechanics rather than just it mainly being an IP tie-in, and it makes good use of 3D assets that we would not have seen in the old shoot-em-ups.
I hardly game these days, so not sure if there are other shooters out there which does the same thing as presented here, but from what little games I know, it feels a bit like Nier Automata with genre crossing gameplay depending on stage. 

3 hours ago, MKT said:

It's pretty interesting they are switching up the gameplay into various shooter types. Looks like the developers are putting some genuine effort into gameplay mechanics rather than just it mainly being an IP tie-in, and it makes good use of 3D assets that we would not have seen in the old shoot-em-ups.
I hardly game these days, so not sure if there are other shooters out there which does the same thing as presented here, but from what little games I know, it feels a bit like Nier Automata with genre crossing gameplay depending on stage. 

Prior to this when it looked like just side to top scrolling the only one I ever knew that did that was Life Force/Salamander from way back in the 80's.  And there have been a few side scrollers that have used twin stick mechanics in their regular gameplay.  I don't know any that have put top-down, side, twin-stick shooter and space harrier all-together.  Hopefully it won't be a case of jack-of-all, master of none.

Edited by Mommar

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Prior to this when it looked like just side to top scrolling the only one I ever knew that did that was Life Force/Salamander from way back in the 80's.  And there have been a few side scrollers that have used twin stick mechanics in their regular gameplay.  I don't know any that have put top-down, side, twin-stick shooter and space harrier all-together.  Hopefully it won't be a case of jack-of-all, master of none.

Had to look up Life Force / Salamander, and its great there's already this type of gameplay all the way back then. I guess it skipped my local arcades at that time. What I'm pretty impressed with is how fast & smooth the sprites move, compared to what I remember of other shoot-em-ups of that era.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

For side/top down, look up Abadox.

That game is awesome.

It's funny how these multi-scrolling shooters only happened in 80's..

That said, top-down shooting is pretty crazy. It feels like driving around in reverse.  

• 1 month later...

The word is out that the Japanese release will not have an English translation unfortunately but the game is still being localized for the US and the Japanese physical release will still have the DYRL content on the discs.  I was going to support both versions either way but it’s a bummer.

Bushiroad made a statement. Their first English tweet in months about the game.

So basically at the launch date, the game will be only available in Japan on Switch and PS4/5, and globally on Steam. Full Japanese, "other languages" incoming. Well, I bet there will be only English and maybe Korean.

Predicable. I guess everybody had a bad feeling about this at the very moment they announced a global release. I can only hope that the global console release was delayed until the English translation is done.

1 hour ago, Old_Nash_II said:

Thanks

Just wanted to add that I believe these are links to purchase the "standard" releases....it looks like the initial premium releases are long sold out...

So it would really blow if Amazon is forced to cancel PO's of the Japanese premium or standard releases made by non-Japanese customers due to the dumb HG-BW unholy business agreement regarding SDFM merch...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question..........

So, I've already had the Japan version of Macross Shooting Insight for PS4 pre-ordered for a long time.

But, I also want to order the physical international PS4 version. Any links to where I can order it? Preferably somewhere that will ship here to Hong Kong where I live.

I had assumed that Hong Kong physical game shops and also the Hong Kong Playstation online Store would be getting the international version, but seems like we are not getting it here due to some licensing related issues, at least according to some local game shop staff here that I've spoken to.

So, I'm suddenly scrambling to find a way to order a physical copy of the international PS4 version.

I've done a Google search and looked on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, but I'm not seeing it. Or at least it's not showing up when my address is set to Hong Kong.

It's normal you can't find anything, the game won't be released on console outside Japan. Both disc and digital.

It will be only available on Steam globally.

Here's the official statement :

49 minutes ago, SSK said:

It's normal you can't find anything, the game won't be released on console outside Japan. Both disc and digital.

It will be only available on Steam globally.

Here's the official statement :

So, if I buy the Amazon version, and put in my english Switch, I can't play it in english? or get the download?

I'm mostly in for the "extras" available from the limited editions...namely the art cards, books and special cover art...

But it is disappointing to hear that the "international" release will not only be missing the SDFM content...but also additional language options...

Can't blame HG this time around...at least not for the lack of language options

https://www.redartgames.com/content/11-blog#MACROSS-Shooting-Insight-is-coming-to-the-West-on-Nintendo-Switch-PS5-PS4

So it looks like red art is going to release physical and digital in the US.  I already bought the limited release from japan for the DYRL content.  They also tease "special editions" to be determined.  I would have double dipped anyway but it's good that it is getting a proper physical translated release here!

Is HG charging too much to provide a license so Macross content is included in merch like this?

Or is BW prohibiting these Japanese companies from being able to release anything SDFM-DYRL outside of Japan via a HG license?

It really makes no sense...either way...

I suppose in this game's release...the content is for DYRL...so HG may or may not have any license to provide...if so, then why would there be an issue releasing it?

In short, nothing has changed for fans of SDFM-DYRL....in fact, things may have gotten worse for fans because now it would seem HG is somehow unwilling to assume rights to the DYRL designs as it did in the past....meaning no DYRL VF-1's from Kitz Concept or Three-Zero...but somehow...DYRL merch is still blocked from release outside of Japan....by who? No one knows...lol

I can't help but think HG must be the reason for blocking the content in some way, with Hikaru and Minmay conspicuously absent from the US release.  Perhaps that DLC is a side mission of sorts and not part of the main storyline or integrated into it.  I don't even see Max in the game listed.  Couldn't they use the Macross 7 designs for Max?  I would think he is in the DLC though.  

Maybe we can hope against hope that the content DOES make it's way somehow into the western physical releases due to some deal with HG?  Whole situation is annoying.

3 hours ago, treatment said:

fyi.

(web-translated):

image.png.2eb3016a8c7a73b1ba39c1b0de5c4c07.png

The webform to fill out is below that message at:

https://form.bushiroad.com/form/macross_si-ws0314

You will need a browser that will auto-translate the fields to english (or any non-japanese) for you.

Great....

So wonder if you will be SOL if you ordered from AJ to ship to the US/Outside of Japan...

Would explain the listings for the art card on auction sites...