Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

13 hours ago, Duymon said:

Yeah I'm a big sucker for Greys too :D

220590467_2639528326351178_5941754603835241686_n.png.26b7ef116dc028cfb0cc812e547ef83e.png

Yes, PLEASE!  I would love love love Bandai to put this out.  I would buy three at least.

13 hours ago, Duymon said:

Yeah I'm a big sucker for Greys too :D

220590467_2639528326351178_5941754603835241686_n.png.26b7ef116dc028cfb0cc812e547ef83e.png

DEFINITELY!!! Grey and orange is my favourite colour combination!

£168 GBP including tax and shipping for the re released YF19 

£227 GBP including tax and shipping for the preorder of the YF23

Just dont get it. In terms of JPY these are 31,000 Yen and 42,000 yen. 

So this is probably cheaper than the Japanese Sites after shipping etc, but still cant get over that price difference for nothing extra between the two.

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I'd buy that grey scheme in a heartbeat Bandai. :wub:

I like it, too. Rather reminiscent of the YF-23 "Grey Ghost", which of course influenced the YF-21's design as well as the aircraft competition subplot in Macross Plus. 

3864152315_1de031b7a8_h-1-1536x1212.jpg

On 1/11/2024 at 10:21 AM, rematron said:

After pre-ordering 2 from LunaPark within the first few minutes of availability (don't really care about the price mark-up as it was my first available option when I went online to order), I'm having a moment of reflection today and appreciating the fact that this thing actually managed to make it into production and get made and I'll have it in my hand sometime in June.  😊

I have been giving Bandai DX a long think too. Ever since I saw the first images of the Studio Half-Eye YF-21, Yamato ver 1, D'Stance and Yamato ver 2, the soon to be release 1/100 HG Bandai ver have given me some pause for thought. There are of course, those few custom one-offs you see published in Hobby Japan...etc. I was convinced for the longest time, that YF-21 was destined to stay chunky and graceless until I saw a few images of the D'Stance model.

Despite the skinny jean legs and collapsing main landing gear of the Yamato ver 2, this is still my favorite of these interpretations on the Sturmvogel II. I am curious to see how Bandai does when you feel the heft and sculpt in hand (photos can hide a lot if you let them).

I think its a high possibility for a VF-22 DX gamlin, looking at strong demand for the 21 DX at the mo.

good sales of the YF-21 lead to a VF-22 gamlin and with an inevitable VF-19 DX, hints at a VF-11 MAXL...
and then all roads lead to a VF-11 isamu...which will be a p-bandai 😆...

*wakes from dreaming*

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 6:14 AM, Reïvaj said:

1703369024707.jpg.b1e72c80e0c46d364c3c95214d91ba4c.jpg1703369131749.jpg.ea6b002691096b9a7e4f6e6b00d41cff.jpg1703369255668.jpg.bd3077c6320f926cb6db799a5a40a3de.jpg1703369420352.jpg.7b298f6b98cedc717e17378e828ce7c3.jpg

HJ Web has finally put this article online, with nice pics. Be sure to enable web-translation.

https://hjweb.jp/article/1322009/

The 'replacement canopy parts' in Bandai's product page is almost certain to be parts-forming replacement seat for Battroid. Quoting HJ Web:

"The cockpit hatch can be opened and closed, and the Gard Gore Bowman figure in the boarding posture can be seated inside. The unique posture of BDI (Brain Direct Image) and the mechanism that rotates the seat 90 degrees when in battroid form are also reproduced by replacing.."

A fully tampo-ed 1/60 scale DX of a yf-21 by Bandai. 

Whatever the tolerances bla bla..still hard to believe. The first ever yf-21 DX by Bandai, since Macross plus came out in the 90s.

i read somewhere along the lines, 2024 looking back to 1995 (when plus was out), is like in 1982/3 (when Macross aired), looking back to things in 1954…

Hit me kinda hard when I thought abt it..

4 hours ago, MKT said:

HJ Web has finally put this article online, with nice pics. Be sure to enable web-translation.

https://hjweb.jp/article/1322009/

The 'replacement canopy parts' in Bandai's product page is almost certain to be parts-forming replacement seat for Battroid. Quoting HJ Web:

"The cockpit hatch can be opened and closed, and the Gard Gore Bowman figure in the boarding posture can be seated inside. The unique posture of BDI (Brain Direct Image) and the mechanism that rotates the seat 90 degrees when in battroid form are also reproduced by replacing.."

The cockpit/fuselage of the DX seems to protrude a bit much in Battroid-mode that it looks floaty.

Like some kind of a bizarro crotch-thrust..

Edited by treatment

10 hours ago, treatment said:

The cockpit/fuselage of the DX seems to protrude a bit much in Battroid-mode that it looks floaty.

Perhaps it was mis-transformed? The thrust doesn't look as prominent in Bandai's official pics..

item_0000014740_w7QKx4K3_07.jpg.df918f4c8bbf4a989339eb19bac606ec.jpg

Or is it? :p

15 hours ago, treatment said:

5 hours ago, MKT said:

Perhaps it was mis-transformed? The thrust doesn't look as prominent in Bandai's official pics..

item_0000014740_w7QKx4K3_07.jpg.df918f4c8bbf4a989339eb19bac606ec.jpg

Or is it? :p

From the prototype pics late last year, it would seem the torso can be more vertical eliminating  lessening the crotch thrust.

IMG_3954.jpeg.3a8a9cc882af252f33efd594282a191a.jpeg

However, notice that the backpack sits higher up on back and at an angle. 

Might mean that the backpack underside is too thick, pushing the torso and/or crotch forward.

Maybe a forward lean would resolve to a better vertical torso appearance, which results in the backpack resting at an angle like the HG.....

7BA7CE00-5E38-11EE-A3A9-DA8F600CB80D-L_375x.webp.b45600666996a293906802fe69bae3f5.webp

and lastly a comparison with the OG prototype before they had to adjust the model..

EHo3kpxUwAAkIbz.jpg.b15cb0dc002fc7ed03590f1757b8f731.jpg

i think the chest intakes would need to be positioned to angle downwards, somehow, to move the backpack away from the torso.

Edited by seti88

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

From the prototype pics late last year, it would seem the torso can be more vertical eliminating  lessening the crotch thrust.

IMG_3954.jpeg.3a8a9cc882af252f33efd594282a191a.jpeg

However, notice that the backpack sits higher up on back and at an angle. 

Might mean that the backpack underside is too thick, pushing the torso and/or crotch forward.

Maybe a forward lean would resolve to a better vertical torso appearance, which results in the backpack resting at an angle like the HG.....

7BA7CE00-5E38-11EE-A3A9-DA8F600CB80D-L_375x.webp.b45600666996a293906802fe69bae3f5.webp

Nice observation & agreed, the angle of cockpit is down to the amount of lean. It at least points to the design being stable enough to do so, even at prototype stage, while I'm recalling my VF-22 Battroid can only stand at a specific lean angle otherwise it will tumble down. 😅

14 minutes ago, MKT said:

Nice observation & agreed, the angle of cockpit is down to the amount of lean. It at least points to the design being stable enough to do so, even at prototype stage, while I'm recalling my VF-22 Battroid can only stand at a specific lean angle otherwise it will tumble down. 😅

Ah yes, but the proof would be in the pudding...when it comes out..because that nice lean in the fuselage, angled chest intakes/back wings are helped by the stand in both mag and early prototype pics..:unknw:

can the lean be adjusted without the stand i wonder...

Edited by seti88

20 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Ah yes, but the proof would be in the pudding...when it comes out..because that nice lean in the fuselage, angled chest intakes/back wings are helped by the stand in both mag and early prototype pics..:unknw:

can the lean be adjusted without the stand i wonder...

Considering the massive depth of the shoulders on the DX, no, I don't think there's any way you're ever getting that kind of angle out of it without the backpack sticking out an obnoxious amount, possibly to the point that the stand won't even support it.

Bandai's doing an admirable job of distracting from the thick torso in most of their shots, but this thing's body is really deep.  I don't believe for a second it's standing unassisted in any of their pics.

18 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Considering the massive depth of the shoulders on the DX, no, I don't think there's any way you're ever getting that kind of angle out of it without the backpack sticking out an obnoxious amount, possibly to the point that the stand won't even support it.

Bandai's doing an admirable job of distracting from the thick torso in most of their shots, but this thing's body is really deep.  I don't believe for a second it's standing unassisted in any of their pics.

Hard to believe, call it product photography magic 😗 

A supporting bracket just like what the chronos had for stability would be nice, but it’s not mentioned in the parts list for the 21.

Maybe need to relook at the product demo video again, which was shown last year, was battroid standing on its own?

Edited by seti88

Someone photoshopped an earlier pic of it with walking crutches... why do I now find it relevant again? :rofl:

This is really a polarizing valk lol.. but also the most popular going by recent PO activity.

Well we are speculating based on pics  but who knows how bad err good it might turn out to be 🤪

Worse case, just admire the tampo from king of tampo, bandai..🤪

seriously where are you gonna get a Macross valk like Bandai’s…even if the pirates could pirate the molds, I think they would have a hard time replicating the tampo(not impossible but cost wise at a quantity and quality?), me thinks 🤭

P.s. whether you like the tampo is another matter🤪 hey it’s art!😁

Edited by seti88

On 1/23/2024 at 11:16 PM, seti88 said:

Hard to believe, call it product photography magic 😗 

A supporting bracket just like what the chronos had for stability would be nice, but it’s not mentioned in the parts list for the 21.

Maybe need to relook at the product demo video again, which was shown last year, was battroid standing on its own?

YF-21BATTTN2023_SIDE1.jpg.3c28a61fd9b9f7e9fda8052dea027983.jpgYF-21BATTTN2023_SIDE.jpg.d68e87e48bc77e7ef2fa14dfc4552653.jpg

Looking from the side, the stand definitely fills the huge gap in-between the back wings pack and torso.
The top of the stand is acting as the fulcrum...

Mmmm....a brace to stiffen the shoulders would definitely be welcomed to not have the back wing pack sag..and also not to have to rely on the stand too much..

Edited by seti88

10 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

It looks like you can stand a whole other valk in there to hold it up

Yeah, this is an angle I didn't catch before.  That's insane. :blink: 

Makes me wonder if they couldn't just throw some sort of accordion fold into that massive panel and decrease the gap like they did for the VF-171, but yikes.

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, this is an angle I didn't catch before.  That's insane. :blink: 

Makes me wonder if they couldn't just throw some sort of accordion fold into that massive panel and decrease the gap like they did for the VF-171, but yikes.

Agreed.  And it looks like the folded wing has just enough room to fit in that space.   But, along with an accordion fold to the panel, it seems like they would be able to increase the joint length of the wing so that it lays flush to its counterpart when its folded.  But, perhaps there is some other factor like the engine nacelle that is keeping the wing from folding completely.  I'm still super excited for it, though.  It will be interesting to have it in hand and see it at all the angles that we've been wanting for the past 4 years. 

Edited by rematron

Just remembered that Yammie's VF-17 also has that rather big gap between torso & backpack, but perhaps not as large as what we are seeing on the YF-21. Still, I suspect the gap won't be that much of an issue unless viewing it at very specific angles.

5 hours ago, MKT said:

Just remembered that Yammie's VF-17 also has that rather big gap between torso & backpack, but perhaps not as large as what we are seeing on the YF-21. Still, I suspect the gap won't be that much of an issue unless viewing it at very specific angles.

I’m betting the gap was a design choice for play value: close the gap -> introduce steric hindrance on the shoulders and arms -> “OMG!? There’s no poseability in the arms!  WTF Bandaid?!?”

1 hour ago, 26662 said:

I’m betting the gap was a design choice for play value: close the gap -> introduce steric hindrance on the shoulders and arms -> “OMG!? There’s no poseability in the arms!  WTF Bandaid?!?”

That is plausible, although for the HG 1/100 they didn't need as big a gap for the shoulders & arms. But with the massive backpack on the DX, they do need that gap for the hip skirtings to angle back lol.

2 hours ago, 26662 said:

Or they could have made that part telescoping so it csn be both accurate and useable instead just stupid and wrong.

5 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Or they could have made that part telescoping so it csn be both accurate and useable instead just stupid and wrong.

Comparing this to the HG kit, I think it's abundantly clear that "accuracy" was not high on their list of priorities.

13 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Comparing this to the HG kit, I think it's abundantly clear that "accuracy" was not high on their list of priorities.

I'm kind of wondering what the priority actually was...