Holy s-hit. How come I'm letting all these mecha series get away right under my fingers? Jeez man, I've been wanting to see something Air Combat/Macross like for quite a while now. I've had my share of the quirky funny anime recently, and I'm in dire need of something "mecha" like. I hope this fits the bill. Seeing all these post in 2004 makes me feel sooooo..... lost. Well, at least I saw GITS: SAC 1&2...

Missing this...missing Gunbuster....missing...bleh.

So, not wanting to derail this thread, but I believe I'm missing out on some of the most fantastic mecha series. Personally, I'm more into the mecha itself than the story. So don't be surprised if I find myself fast forwarding in these "Yukikaze" episodes to get to the battle sequences. (Snow Wind...from how I'm interpreting the romanji)

Series I'm SERIOUSLY wanting to be my hands on (as well as toys)

1) Gunbuster 1

2) Super Robot War (I know this is the PS2 game, but there are 4 injection kits from Kotobukiya I WANT)

3) Five Star Stories (God! These kits are absolutely sexy!)

I've almost got most of the Macross kits I want, besides the Macross Zero stuff. I'll hold on that for now...since I've got a whack load of it. Once I get my command car from saverobotech, I think the Patlabor department is finished up as in terms of model kits.

And yes, the ever present Gundam. I have yet to buy a Master Grade Gundam Kit. How sad.

Edited by Spatula

All 5 "operations" have been out on Hong Kong bootleg DVD sets for about a year (?) now. As for official Bandai releases, they're up to number 2, I think...

Edited by myk

I have good question in regards to the FRX-OO Mave,Where the frack is it's air intakes? A fighter jet has to have them if they were to fly. It's strange but I just now realized it. Please correct me if I'm wrong

I have good question in regards to the FRX-OO Mave,Where the frack is it's air intakes? A fighter jet has to have them if they were to fly. It's strange but I just now realized it. Please correct me if I'm wrong

376208[/snapback]

Its very cool - there are a few of them, the obvious ones are two on the back behind the cockpit - two horizontal slits (there's an option where there are ramjet intakes that seem to pop up in that area). Additionally there is the lower scoop under the cockpit in front of the main gears, and two hidden side intakes under the forward conards.

Knight26 and other engineers and those in the know here....

How feasible are these designs in reality? I think some of the planes are hit or miss.....most of them look cool, one of them in particular(I don't know the name but its really really really weird looking), but I do love the main fighter, the FSW, and the navy one a LOT!

I actually think the designs in the original novels would work better aerodynamically than the OVA ones.

FOr what its worth, I still have not watched it but the trailer animation looked spectacular. I'll probably pick it up but I am not expecting much storywise. I think bandai should do a SIC or soul of popynica 1/72 Yukikaze line with retractable gear. DROOOLLLL!!

The designs, while interesting, are very poor aerodynamically and structurally, especially the mave, with how the cockpit is seperated like that. The mainline fighter also is poor in that regard the stresses exerted on those spars that hold the two halves apart would be enormous. the thing would come apart in flight under any hard manuevers, assuming it could get off the ground in the first place. I would write more, but I feel like someone has been dancing a watsui on my grave right now and I have two meetings left to attend today before I can leave for the doctors, ugh.

I have only seen the first three episodes of Yukikaze. The storyline is a little hard to follow, but the aircombat scenes are pretty cool. I remember folks here talking about the series a coupla years back and the general concensus seemed to be that the story was crap.

The story may be crap, but you can't deny that the plane designs are pretty interesting. I am still hoping that Yellow Submarine will make the 1/144th Slyphid. I have one of the Mave models and it's pretty cool.

I just Bandai will get with the program and release the entire series to the North American market....................

It is one helluva weird story. I only have the first two episodes. Has it actually been completed and released in North America? From what I have seen for DVD sales on the internet, it looks like it has. How many episodes are there total? I thought there were 4.

Edited by Skullsixx

Well, with all due respect to the franchise and its fans, it IS a little Broke-back-ey at times; especially in the end...

I WANT AN ART BOOK! :p

372501[/snapback]

There actually IS an art book out now :D

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...8-9975565??

The Fairy Air Force At War DVD comes with a VERY nice art book. Very comprehensive too. The DVD it comes with is kinda lame, but that's not what I bought it for :p

It's 50 bucks VERY well spent!

372672[/snapback]

Got the artbook yesterday - highly recommended!!!

C-31 Gunship anyone?

Well, with all due respect to the franchise and its fans, it IS a little Broke-back-ey at times; especially in the end...

376479[/snapback]

Well I guess that explains why a number of pages back when Graham talked about the Roy Focker looking guy being the "boyfriend" of the main character! :p

Heh. Watching those two interact with each other was just....wierd. Their character design didn't help either...

I want this book!  I will buy it tomorrow!  Heh!

Rob

378904[/snapback]

You should. Everyone should. It's the most awesomest book ever printed.

If you don't already know, it's part of the Fairy Air Force at War DVD set. But the book is the only real reason to buy it :p

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon.jp, for the sole reason that it came with a 100+ page book (of what, I didn't know). But my gamble paid off in a big way!

A new OFFICIAL DVD boxed set was released here in HK! All 5 episodes + the bonus parody DVD with 2 soundtrack?

Audio is Japanese, Subtitles are Chinese.

Does anyone know if English Subs are floating around? Would be cool to use it with this set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...