After finding out that my two used cabs (bottom pic-left) were not LED (they had LED bulbs but halogen drivers) I went on a quest to figure out how to resolve it. I ended up having to wire in LED drivers, which isn't hard once you know what you're doing. Unfortunately the LED world is a little wild west. Lot's of contradictory info out there. You have to figure out if you want constant voltage or constant current. Then you have to pick your bulbs. Then you have to get drivers based on the needs of the bulbs. After a LOT of looking around and asking questions I got it dialed. I swapped out the drivers and switched from 30deg bulbs (30 deg spread) to 120deg bulbs. These are actually the "soft" ones. And they're not that soft. I got some "white" bulbs. Holy smokes, that was way too much. Anyhoo, lots of hours involved in the switch over.

The 120deg bulbs really lit the top shelves up where the light shine straight down. The 30's were pretty weenie.

Got tracking for a massive YetiStand order yesterday. Now I can finally unpack a bunch of Valks and do stuff like get that SV-51 in the LH cab off it's belly. These cans are probably going to be pretty tight pretty soon. Good news is that I did figure out how to fit one more of these cabs in the office. After that.......time to move.:p

After

IMG_5385.JPG

Before

Bulbs.jpg

Edited by sqidd

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

After finding out that my two used cabs (bottom pic-left) were not LED (they had LED bulbs but halogen drivers) I went on a quest to figure out how to resolve it. I ended up having to wire in LED drivers, which isn't hard once you know what you're doing. Unfortunately the LED world is a little wild west. Lot's of contradictory info out there. You have to figure out if you want constant voltage or constant current. Then you have to pick your bulbs. Then you have to get drivers based on the needs of the bulbs. After a LOT of looking around and asking questions I got it dialed. I swapped out the drivers and switched from 30deg bulbs (30 deg spread) to 120deg bulbs. These are actually the "soft" ones. And they're not that soft. I got some "white" bulbs. Holy smokes, that was way too much. Anyhoo, lots of hours involved in the switch over.

The 120deg bulbs really lit the top shelves up where the light shine straight down. The 30's were pretty weenie.

Got tracking for a massive YetiStand order yesterday. Now I can finally unpack a bunch of Valks and do stuff like get that SV-51 in the LH cab off it's belly. These cans are probably going to be pretty tight pretty soon. Good news is that I did figure out how to fit one more of these cabs in the office. After that.......time to move.:p

After

Before

Looks like you covered the every inch of the cab with white light!
I suspect being LED bulbs they dont raise the tempreture at all, even with so many switched on? 8)

Nice setup!

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

After

IMG_5385.JPG

Before

Well, I know which house to burgle if i I ever turn to a life of crime. :shok:

1 hour ago, sumyumgoy said:

Looks amazing @sqidd!  Could I ask what size riser is that on the bottom left?

It's this guy right here. If you look close at the right hand cab second and third shelves down there are a couple more. They really work well at doubling up space for those size figures. There are all sorts of sizes on Amazon. Of course the one that woks the best for those cabs is a zillion dollars. Story of my life.:D

Link To Riser

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

Looks like you covered the every inch of the cab with white light!
I suspect being LED bulbs they dont raise the tempreture at all, even with so many switched on? 8)

Nice setup!

1 hour ago, Alphahorizon said:

Huge improvements on the lighting @sqidd. Great display!

Thanks guys!

I'm just realizing that these bulbs are still too bight. Now that the sun has gone down I'm getting "spots" in my vision like someone hit me with their brights. Those are 400 lumen bulbs. Just pinged Amazon for some 240's. Hopefully that is the Goldilocks zone.

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Well, I know which house to burgle if i I ever turn to a life of crime. :shok:

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

It's this guy right here. If you look close at the right hand cab second and third shelves down there are a couple more. They really work well at doubling up space for those size figures. There are all sorts of sizes on Amazon. Of course the one that woks the best for those cabs is a zillion dollars. Story of my life.:D

Link To Riser

Thanks!  I think they would work nicely with my chogokin ships =) 

What do you think guys? To cut down on some of the light glaring back at me from the walls I thought maybe a dark background would be cool. Mocked it up with some black poster board for a test.

With some toys it works better than white. Some not. I think it works better the majority of the time. Not exactly thrilled that I think I like it with a black background, because that is going to take some work. I'd probably cover the backsides with black sticker material. I'm pretty sure that my thinking I like it more black isn't confirmation bias then.

I think space/starts/galaxy stuff would be really cool. I just can't figure out how to do it without wallpaper. And I'm not wallpapering that wall.

What say you?

Cab1.jpg

Cab2.jpg

Cab3.jpg

16 minutes ago, Darth Mingus said:

I like the black.  Makes it look like a museum.  Are you opposed to painting the wall?  Maybe some blackboard paint?  It will give you a deep flat finish which will cut the reflections you can see off the white wall.

Yeah, definitely not painting the wall.

11 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

I'd put the matte material, white or black, on the inside of the case rather than on the wall behind the case simply because that glass back is so reflective.

I agree that would be ideal. The shelves are a lot of work to get out. These are actually shipped pre-assembled. Why does the best way always end up bing the hard way, LOL!

Thanks guys!