SENTAI FILMWORKS HAS LICENSED LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES!!!

I read the news when I went to bed last night and decided never to drink again.

I read it again today and find out that it's real and that it's happening. The friggin' holy grail of licenses has been picked up. I hope Sentai puts some soul and effort into it. No half-azzing on a release such like this.

My wallet is ready

No news yet on princing or release formats. In the past I've read that one of the problems with the LOGH license was that Artland wanted a pretty penny for it for anyone who came asking. So it could very well be that the price is a bit higher than normal for their releases.

I wonder if the side stories are also included in the license and release plans? If you add the side stories and films, you're looking at almost 150 episodes worth of goodness.

No news yet on princing or release formats. In the past I've read that one of the problems with the LOGH license was that Artland wanted a pretty penny for it for anyone who came asking. So it could very well be that the price is a bit higher than normal for their releases.

I wonder if the side stories are also included in the license and release plans? If you add the side stories and films, you're looking at almost 150 episodes worth of goodness.

Since it's Sentai, I imagine the obscene price problem is no more. But we'll see. Whatever the case, this will be amazing.

• 1 month later...

No news about the Sentai release I'm afraid (apologize if the bump got your hopes up!).

But if like me you're interested in picking up the LOGH novels when they come out, I've got good news for you :)

March 8th 2016. It's happening.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Galactic-Heroes-Vol-Dawn/dp/1421584948/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441208942&sr=8-1&keywords=legend+galactic+heroes

• 1 year later...

What are your thoughts on the novel? I saw both volume 1 and volume 2 at my fave bookstore yesterday.

They're very close to the anime. They didn't take any liberties with the plot at all. They're a fun read, but the writing feels a bit stiff. I don't know if that is how the author writes or was more how it was translated.

Yang Wenli comes across as a bit more cynical and tough than he did in the anime. That might be be his seiyuu giving him a softer edge.

Have to admit the classical music OST gives the anime a special something missing from the book.

I've resorted to Youtube to watch this excellent series, as I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm only 15 eps in, but even the non-action episodes keep me engaged due to the great dialogue.

it doesn't ever falter or jump the shark, it's truly a great series.

only ep 15? buckle-up!

They're very close to the anime. They didn't take any liberties with the plot at all. They're a fun read, but the writing feels a bit stiff. I don't know if that is how the author writes or was more how it was translated.

Yang Wenli comes across as a bit more cynical and tough than he did in the anime. That might be be his seiyuu giving him a softer edge.

Have to admit the classical music OST gives the anime a special something missing from the book.

OK, will post my own comments once I get to read it myself.

This IS the (legally-distinct descendant of a) company that was known for licensing shows they had no intention of releasing, just to keep other companies from getting them. Sad to see the tradition survives.

Like I said: You guys deserve better than this.

• 7 months later...

Recasting of the voice actors has been announced: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-05-10/production-i.g-new-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-anime-recasts-main-characters/.115900

Maybe Sentai should have waited to license this newer one? I'm not too hopeful about the remake, I kind of like the old voice actors, they seemed really appropriate. It is only the prospect of updated animation that excites me.

On the novel front, volume 3 is out. Volume 4 will be out June 20. I might just order those two when June comes. If only Amazon had a PW-like function, I would have wanted to ship them with my Valerian comic preorder.

On 12/05/2017 at 4:49 AM, UN Spacy said:

The hell is going on with the US release of the tv show?

I can't fin the link now, but some guy on Reddit said that Sentai had been asked several times during the Animeexpo about it, and they said along the lines that "they really wanted to get it right, and that takes time.". They offered no firm time horizon on it though.

I don't know if that's a classic PR response or if they really mean it. But at the very least I don't think we will see anything happen this year.

I hope Japanese licensors become much stricter with this sort of thing and include "use it or lose it" clauses in ther licensing contracts.

What is it with the great space operas and their licensing problems btw? Macross, Yamato, LOGH...None get the proper widespread Western release they deserve.

Sentai has been trying to get LotGH for a very long time at least since 2008. It's a passion project for them and not something they scooped up to prevent others from getting it, not that anyone else was chomping at the bit to license it. This isn't some new short 12 episode series made on a computer that the master can be shipped on a USB drive from Japan, have a dub track, and subtittles bolted on and sent on its merry way. This is a 100 episode plus series starting in the later 1980s that was made on film and getting those tapes from Japan and preparing them for release isn't easy. 

On 14/05/2017 at 9:43 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

Sentai has been trying to get LotGH for a very long time at least since 2008. It's a passion project for them and not something they scooped up to prevent others from getting it, not that anyone else was chomping at the bit to license it. This isn't some new short 12 episode series made on a computer that the master can be shipped on a USB drive from Japan, have a dub track, and subtittles bolted on and sent on its merry way. This is a 100 episode plus series starting in the later 1980s that was made on film and getting those tapes from Japan and preparing them for release isn't easy. 

110 episodes to be exact.

I do not disagree with your take, but their silence on the matter has been baffling. I think they could have handled it differently at least from a PR perspective I also don't think that anyone would prepare and release all the episodes in one release. I'm expecting something along the lines of 4 releases for 4 seasons. That's not including of course the Gaiden.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I've no idea if this is directly related but a legal streaming site supposedly has this available (a bit at a time).  The site is currently down however.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-06-20/hidive-anime-streaming-service-launches-with-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes/.117768

Basically Sentai is removing its catalog of shows and support from the Anime Network except for cable on demand  to this new HiDive streaming site and is debuting the first few subbed episodes of LoGTH on it.