Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

what t-former is that?

The stealth bomber? It is either Megatron or Dreadwing. Based on the dark color scheme, I would say Academy is riffing off of the IDW version of Megatron. Prime Soundwave transforms into the predator drone.

Edited by technoblue

So Transformers and Robotech both based designs off of a real-world vehicle. Shocking. I've never seen that before.

The design is piss-poor (in both cases), but you guys really are appearing desperate for anything that you can use to knock the KS.

I agree with Duke Togo. Drones and stealth fighters appear in pop culture often, it's nothing to get bent out of shape over. Please do not overdo it with the bashing, this is HG we're talking about, they don't need us to make them loook bad, they're doing a bang-up job themselves. It just makes us seem childish.

Seto, for a guy who claims he "doesn't care", you seem to be the most vocal person on this thread. By all means continue posting, but saying you couldn't care less when in fact you appear to care enough to have almost single-handedly kept this thread about three guys with a reputation and a kickstarter campaign at the top of the page for the last couple of weeks just seems odd.

I agree with Duke Togo. Drones and stealth fighters appear in pop culture often, it's nothing to get bent out of shape over. Please do not overdo it with the bashing, this is HG we're talking about, they don't need us to make them loook bad, they're doing a bang-up job themselves. It just makes us seem childish.

Seto, for a guy who claims he "doesn't care", you seem to be the most vocal person on this thread. By all means continue posting, but saying you couldn't care less when in fact you appear to care enough to have almost single-handedly kept this thread about three guys with a reputation and a kickstarter campaign at the top of the page for the last couple of weeks just seems odd.

I think certain people are "invested" in any perceived failure of HG..

Eh, I think you're crediting me with more than my fair share of it... but there is a certain pleasure in noting that the Robotech fans have proven to be much more discerning folks than we usually give them credit for being. I suppose it could be argued that I've got an indirect interest in the success or failure of the Robotech Academy Kickstarter, due to the way the negative press that it's generated across the net will affect efforts to build store-level interest in Robotech RPG Tactics. (I've got a bit of a soft spot for Palladium Books, both because they're local and because they helped foster my interest in Macross II.)

Speaking of, I've been having a bit of a discussion about the impact that the controversy over Robotech RPG Tactics have had upon the Robotech Academy Kickstarter. Quite a few of the RRT backers I've talked to have suggested that the problems that Kickstarter has had put them off the idea of backing Academy...

Reception of that stealth recon drone seems to be pretty lukewarm too... the recurring theme they keep coming back to is "Why wouldn't they have done something more traditionally AWACs looking?".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I was not bashing, just curious. Now that I look up that T-Former I see that it is a massive kibble hanger, too bad, if the bottom looked more like the top, in terms of design, it could make good fodder for a custom valk of some kind.

Udon does comics. I don't know what they announced but comics are merchandise so they can do what they want with impunity.

They are doing art books, reprints of the old ones, maybe some newer ones with work from recent comics, exclusive Tommy Yune work, maybe the art book that was being offered for the KS, etc. That was their "big" announcement.

Great push for a healthy franchise this year. I feel like we've been taking the whole thing more seriously than the professionals. :(

Edited by Einherjar

Eh, I think Seto has been very informative on HG's background.

Regarding their mechs, IMO, they look ugly aesthetically, but nothing new about B2's, jets, drones, tanks, etc.

I was genuinely interested to see the continuation of robotech with RSC....and I can't remember a POS TURD movie I've been so embarrassed and pissed about buying. That marked the end of my fandom for RT and the realization of incompetence that is HG. I'll freely admit I want this to fail to get a new creative team to do something without relying on past material...And of course stop claiming everything MACROSS.

Never going to happen, I know, but I sure do get a sick pleasure in their failings. Oh and please, no high horse comments, we're all fanboys of something.

Thanks, azrael. I'm not as familiar with the movie characters, so I wouldn't have guessed ROTF.

Edit: The latest artwork reminds me of The Shadow Chronicles. But instead of calling it dated, I wonder if it's simply consistent to the style of Robotech that HG wants to deliver? Given time, it would be interesting to see the final iterations of these models, to see what Creavision is able to do with them in an animated environment.

Edited by technoblue

They are doing art books, reprints of the old ones, maybe some newer ones with work from recent comics, exclusive Tommy Yune work, maybe the art book that was being offered for the KS, etc. That was their "big" announcement.

Great push for a healthy franchise this year. I feel like we've been taking the whole thing more seriously than the professionals. :(

At least the comics will be done at a higher level of quality than the stuff they did in the 90's. That's something, right?

Robotech Academy's not going to get made, barring a sudden and completely unforeseen backer dumping a quarter million into the project, so that art book they're talking about is off the table. That leaves them with their supposed new line of comics, their re-release of the grainy broadcast version of Robotech (which is a real "why bother" moment, you can get the old editions off of eBay for $14 a saga), and whatever they might or might not be doing with Shadow Rising. Definitely enough to give you a very distinct feeling that they're just going through the motions.

Eh, I think Seto has been very informative on HG's background.

Regarding their mechs, IMO, they look ugly aesthetically, but nothing new about B2's, jets, drones, tanks, etc.

I was genuinely interested to see the continuation of robotech with RSC....and I can't remember a POS TURD movie I've been so embarrassed and pissed about buying. That marked the end of my fandom for RT and the realization of incompetence that is HG. I'll freely admit I want this to fail to get a new creative team to do something without relying on past material...And of course stop claiming everything MACROSS.

Never going to happen, I know, but I sure do get a sick pleasure in their failings. Oh and please, no high horse comments, we're all fanboys of something.

Well thanks, I'd like to think I'm useful for something besides light entertainment. :lol:

The ugliness bothers me less than the fact that, both aesthetically and technologically, they just don't fit with the period that they supposedly belong to for Robotech. The Predator-thing looks out of place in Robotech as a whole, and it contradicts the canon they had in place before that established that the first variable drone fighter was the 2044-model Shadow Drone. Likewise, that stealth bomber-lookin' recon plane is way too streamlined to fit with the very chunky, blocky designs that were Earth standard in 2015-2044.

That new manned VF just plain doesn't fit ANYWHERE (the 2nd Generation rival program was YF-4 vs the VF-X-6) and its designation overlaps with that of an existing design (Beta prototype No.1, VF-X-7).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Thanks, azrael. I'm not as familiar with the movie characters, so I wouldn't have guessed ROTF.

The bot wasn't in the movie. It was made for the movie's toyline. :huh:

So... you want exactly what I just described in the post you quoted? The sequel Harmony Gold can never make... in which they've got the Macross characters as the focus of the story, out in space doing Macross-y things like establishing colonies and teaching new aliens about humanity's culture, just without the word "Macross" in the title. Sentinels is what a lot of Robotech fans want, for reasons that are fairly obvious... it's basically Carl Macek's Macross-MOSPEADA crossover fic, and it's far more Macross than it is MOSPEADA.

There are so many problems with the very idea of producing it that you're pretty much hosed even if you DO become rich enough to independently finance a new animated series.

I'm personally interested because it brings the four groups together - Humans, Zentraedi, Tirolians, and Invid - in a huge conflict that isn't around Earth for a change. I really have no interest in how Macrossy it is; I preferred New Generation to Macross within the Robotech series anyway. I'm interested in the progression of the Robotech storyline which I like.

As for becoming rich enough, I'd do it if I could ;) Though, in all honesty, a full reboot to put everything in order and better tell the Robotech story would likely be the way to go.

I'm personally interested because it brings the four groups together - Humans, Zentraedi, Tirolians, and Invid - in a huge conflict that isn't around Earth for a change. I really have no interest in how Macrossy it is; I preferred New Generation to Macross within the Robotech series anyway. I'm interested in the progression of the Robotech storyline which I like.

As for becoming rich enough, I'd do it if I could ;) Though, in all honesty, a full reboot to put everything in order and better tell the Robotech story would likely be the way to go.

Agree on this. I will say I do like th the designs unveiled for the Children of Zor as well as the new ship (minus the GN swords). One thing I have never liked is the peppy kid character that Wally seems to be. A perfect example is Kai from LoK. All the characters are at least teens and at most older folks, the kid just sticks out IMO.

What? So you don't think it's curious 2 of 4 designs are strikingly similar to Transformers?

And that HG is making a show hundreds of years in the future, where they still use 70's and 80's

Aircraft designs..

It makes sense in Transformers, because they are current. It doesn't make sense to use those designs,

Far into the future.

Sorry, but the whole everyone steals designs don't work when it's too closely tied.

What? So you don't think it's curious 2 of 4 designs are strikingly similar to Transformers?

And that HG is making a show hundreds of years in the future, where they still use 70's and 80's

Aircraft designs..

First of all Academy is supposed to be set in the 2020's, and secondly Macross has designs based on the Mirage III, F-117, SR-71, and the A-6 etc that are 70s-80s era aircraft. Edited by renegadeleader1

They are totally ripped from transformers and rebuilt them with bizarro glasses. I've fully accepted they can't make a good looking original mech after seeing gundam parts on a ship. I can only assume someone said to go for design that people are "familiar" with. To be fair, macross is still using jets and tanks. Destroids haven't changed much from zero to frontier and that's what macross fans are familiar with. My complaint is how ugly TO ME they look. No matter what they come up with, it will be a mash of mecha references without kawamori street cred.

Edited by Negotiator

Edit: The latest artwork reminds me of The Shadow Chronicles. But instead of calling it dated, I wonder if it's simply consistent to the style of Robotech that HG wants to deliver? Given time, it would be interesting to see the final iterations of these models, to see what Creavision is able to do with them in an animated environment.

They don't have years to refine their work like before, but just 12 days in this phase of the project or it's over... or not.

I dunno about you guys but I'm havin' a ball watching some of the comments over on Facebook. Apparently this is all the fault of the Gee-Wunners, er, I mean Macross purist trolls. I love how it's so defined; MACROSS purists, not anime purists. Is there any more popcorn left?

Also, a VERY small part of me is interested in these DVDs they say they'll be putting out.... but the vast majority of me doesn't want to reward HG's bad behavior. :D

Okay, I must admit that I am impressed with how badly they did yesterday as they now need to $26,331 a day for the next 12 days not to fail.

Is it wrong that I find it amusing watching this train wreck occur?

I didn't watch the whole thing, just skipped every 10 mins or so and watched a few seconds. But he describes the whole Tatsunoko vs. BW lawsuit thing as having been instigated by BigWest. I thought it was Tatsunoko who took them to court. I'm going to need to check my info...

Okay, I must admit that I am impressed with how badly they did yesterday as they now need to $26,331 a day for the next 12 days not to fail.

Is it wrong that I find it amusing watching this train wreck occur?

Why would you think it's wrong to enjoy seeing an evil company fail miserably? Do you dislike justice?

Yep, just checked. Tatsunoko took Nue and BW to court claiming ownership of the copyright for SDF Mac back in 2001, which they won as copyright holders of the SDFM film itself. Then Nue and BW started a different trial to get the ownership of designs cleared up, which they won. Then Tatsunoko tried to claim ownership of all other sequels, which got thrown out of court.

Japanese companies are not known for being particularly litigious, unlike US ones. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this was most likely HG pulling the strings behind the scenes.

I know this topic is about the Kickstarter and not the court hearings, but the guy in the Youtube video is misinformed and if he is reading this thread, hopefully this helps.

EDIT -- Btw, I'm checking Japanese sources.

Edited by Renato

Couldn't even get through a minute of the video and so skipped to the end and read the closing comments. This fella looks like just another old school Robotech fan having a knee-jerk reaction to Macross fans who are vocal about disliking Harmony Gold. I can't see how anyone reading this thread could come away thinking conspiracy theory thoughts, but I guess some folks are just that paranoid. I did think that THIS guy is the type of Robotech fan that was almost extinct, not Robotech fans themselves. From my perspective, the bitter, flame war forum invasion crap between Macross and Robotech fans is long over as is most anyone caring about any of that. Regardless, it seems a significant proportion of Robotech fans have their heads on straight regarding this kickstarter.

As for the reveal at the end, I think Seinfeld's reaction to Newman's apartment best describes it; "My skin is crawling just a step inside your little rats nest" :)