Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

True but think of all of the Shadow Chronicles apologists out there.

That was a terrible production overall and the desperate fans liked it...

I want to see this pilot made. I want to see all the people who donated money get pissed when they see what half a mil will get them from HG and a sub par animation fan group. It's one thing to get upset when someone else does something stupid. It's another thing to get upset at what stupidity is done on your dime.

True but think of all of the Shadow Chronicles apologists out there.

That was a terrible production overall and the desperate fans liked it...

Well, yeah... but you have to consider that the overwhelming majority absolutely hated it. So much so, in fact, that the moderators over on Robotech.com ended up banning or otherwise driving away much of the site's member population with their efforts to suck up to Tommy Yune by banning his critics.

The desperate fans who will take anything with the word "Robotech" on the box are the dregs left over from that purge... the fans who are so deep in denial you wouldn't put buying one of Tommy's turds in a box past them if they slapped the word "Robotech" onto the box and issued a limited edition certificate with it.

It's beyond belief though isn't it.

Macross is clearly the most popular part of Robotech.

Many of us here discovered Macross as a result of watching Robotech.

Macross is an ongoing franchise with multiple TV series and films with a new TV series on the way.

BUT IN SPITE OF ALL THIS......

There are still those who cling desperately on to Robotech.

All they have to do is give up the RT bulllshite, embrace Macross and they will be happy. The continued RT fanbase makes no sense at all.

Macross is an ongoing franchise with multiple TV series and films with a new TV series on the way.

All they have to do is give up the RT bulllshite, embrace Macross and they will be happy. The continued RT fanbase makes no sense at all.

But the problem is a lot of these fans are under the deluded belief that Robotech is some how an improvement on and is better than Macross.

But in doing so you are basically dissing two other anime that have their own fan bases.

Macross II is the albatross that macross fans must carry. Also, Macross 7.

Robotech has it's issues but many prefer its linear story. Arguing against it feels a little bit like the argument in the movie Crimson Tide about which silver surfer was best. It comes down to preference.

And to be fair, have you looked online at the rabid dans in South America and Central America? That seems to be the greatest concentration of Robotech fans!

But in doing so you are basically dissing two other anime that have their own fan bases.

Macross II is the albatross that macross fans must carry. Also, Macross 7.

Robotech has it's issues but many prefer its linear story. Arguing against it feels a little bit like the argument in the movie Crimson Tide about which silver surfer was best. It comes down to preference.

And to be fair, have you looked online at the rabid dans in South America and Central America? That seems to be the greatest concentration of Robotech fans!

I'll take Macross II and Macross 7 over Shadow Chronicles and Robotech: LLA any day.

I'll take Macross II and Macross 7 over Shadow Chronicles and Robotech: LLA any day.

But ripping LLA, you are really ripping the Mospeada original - plus two extra minutes.

Shadow Chronicles I will give you. And that is primarily because it doesn't fit in with the pre-existing contunuity often for no real reason.

If this does get funded and they fail to make the delivery date, what then? It's a well known KS-projects suffer delays.

For those of you guests and lurkers that were thinking of donating money, let me remind you, you are giving money away with the chance that this does not launch. This is a RISK. The same risk venture capitalists take on projects. I'm sure HG has approached networks before and most have looked at the numbers and said "Not interested". If you want your money back, Kickstarter does not issue refunds. Refunds are issued at the discretion of the project starter. The big projects on Kickstarter are working because they are actually feasible and will likely work when they launch, i.e. the risk is worth it. Those of you who actually donated to this project should be asking all tough questions. What's the plan? Who is on-board to write, direct, design, etc? How will you distribute this? If this project goes to a full series, will you approach companies for sponsors? Which companies would you look at to sponsor. By putting money into this project, you need to be checking in on them like any project sponsor. You better be checking in on them to see if your money is being well spent.

Let's say this project does get off the ground, but fails after launch. Will you fans and project backers blame the producers for the failed project? Look at the track record of the production company. Robotech 3000? Didn't launch. Sequel to Shadow Chronicles? Still in development hell. Love, Live Alive was a reuse of a old production with ~5 minutes of new footage.

This needs to be pinned somewhere. Seriously.

Robotech has it's issues but many prefer its linear story. Arguing against it feels a little bit like the argument in the movie Crimson Tide about which silver surfer was best.

Moebius, obviously.

I can't believe people are backing this project. I'm the reverse of what the guy said in the end. Because of me I hope this doesn't get funded.

I think most here aren't too fond of Robotech. I'm probably the opposite since I grew up with it. But I'm tired of the milking of the series and the fact that the new Macross shows, toys, etc. don't make it out over here. The last Robotech show, Shadow Chronicles I believe was horrible. I thankfully watched it for free on youtube. They mention The Sentinels in that Kickstarter. Well there are books about that. I still have them boxed up. I think they were ok. A few comics too. But I sold those off. But both were certainly better than Shadow Chronicles.

I just want Robotech on Blu-ray. That is the only way I would give them my money. Or if they actually helped to bring the next Macross series over here.

Somebody on TFW2005 had a good idea.

Why don't we start a kickstarter to buy out the Robotech rights from Harmony Ghouls.

I grew up with Robotech of course, but I have no desire to watch it again.

I'm not a fan of Mospeada.

The story pretty much falls apart halfway through. I'm a fan of the Mechs in Mospeada haha, but that's about it.

In order for that to work, the kickstarter would have to generate more funds than HG could possibly make from another 50 years of DVD reissues.

HG's a business, so whats offered has to be more than they can make by retaining the property.

If they were going to go original, I'd like to see them do Sentinels. Ditch most of their retarded carebear, pegasus & amazon, etc concepts and basically make the Regis' Invid "masculine" variations of those from Mospeada, and adjust their Inhumans. Go with the original red organic non-transforming SDF-3, etc. IOW, everything I wanted around 1994-1995. :lol:

Somebody on TFW2005 had a good idea.

Why don't we start a kickstarter to buy out the Robotech rights from Harmony Ghouls.

That would be an even worse Kickstarter than the Robotech Academy Kickstarter. Harmony Gold's license with Tatsunoko Production is most likely non-transferable, unless Tatsunoko were to give prior approval. And the only way that Tatsunoko would ever approve a license transfer would be under the condition that the applicant agrees to maintain the Big West embargo outside of Japan, and that the applicant also agrees to continue marketing Tatsunoko's Macross/Robotech rights (ie: videos, toys, etc).

Edited by TheLoneWolf

After Robotech, it's clear Westerners need to stay out of making Anime. Lol

And how is Robotech more linear?

Robotech, until the end of the SDFM footage was terrific of course.

But then they just take two random, not even associated Animes, make up some terrible

Character names, and a really terrible storyline and say that it's all one universe?

Have you watched it in the last 20 years?

The whole show turns to crap as soon as the southern cross footage starts.

Macross II, made more sense in 3 minutes than all of the Masters and new generation.

Macross 7 is glorious, like an Oscar winning, Tony award winning Space Musical compared to

Masters and New Generation.

I have the whole series, I've seen every stupid thing HG has done, and the only enjoyable things from

All of it, is basically watching SDFM with soulless 80's voice actors in English.

Still, most of the real emotion in the show is lost with the English versions.

Anyone who thinks Robotech is superior, has simply not seen any Macross.

Or just have terrible taste.

Man... I always thought the voice actors were decent. The singing is a train wreck but I never had a problem with the actors. I mean, watching it on DVDs makes the fact they only had like three different people doing voices stand out pretty clearly but that's not the VAs fault. I mean, comparing Robotech to MacII, Robotech is a good dub compared to the stilted MacII mess.

I don't have any problem at all with what Robotech was. I would have loved for Sentinels to have been made. I mean, I still think that scene where Regent says "I believe you" and then hands the dude the bomb is pretty cool. There are too many problems with the property at this point and the fan base is too old from the lack of new content for 29 years for this thing to go on. If HG was rich they should try rebooting the franchise with all new mecha, many new names, and get clear of all the rights problems and have a more coherent take on what Protoculture is and really link things together. That's not going to happen though and there's just no talent at HG strong enough to create a new path.

Man... I always thought the voice actors were decent. The singing is a train wreck but I never had a problem with the actors. I mean, watching it on DVDs makes the fact they only had like three different people doing voices stand out pretty clearly but that's not the VAs fault. I mean, comparing Robotech to MacII, Robotech is a good dub compared to the stilted MacII mess.

I don't have any problem at all with what Robotech was. I would have loved for Sentinels to have been made. I mean, I still think that scene where Regent says "I believe you" and then hands the dude the bomb is pretty cool. There are too many problems with the property at this point and the fan base is too old from the lack of new content for 29 years for this thing to go on. If HG was rich they should try rebooting the franchise with all new mecha, many new names, and get clear of all the rights problems and have a more coherent take on what Protoculture is and really link things together. That's not going to happen though and there's just no talent at HG strong enough to create a new path.

In an earlier post, I wrote that most of what was good in Robotech was from the Japanese source material. The one thing I thought HG did well was the voice acting and the background music. When I watched SDFM, I noticed that there was a lot less background music compared to Robotech. The music they added did a lot to enhance some of the scenes, especially the more somber ones. And while Minmei's voice was grating at times, most of the voice actors did a good job.

Oh yeah, definitely agree on the background music. I'm not saying I prefer one to the other, as sometimes Macross builds a different kind of tension by not having the background music, but I do like the RT background stuff. I still use some of those background themes as ring tones.

After Robotech, it's clear Westerners need to stay out of making Anime. Lol

And how is Robotech more linear?

It's more linear in the sense that each "saga" theoretically follows directly on from the previous one, with recurring characters and so on. You boil down the Robotech fanbase's wishlist as far as future stories go and you'll find the overwhelming majority of them don't give a tinker's damn about the characters that Robotech inherited from Southern Cross or MOSPEADA. What they're really after isn't a new generation of characters or any of that bull... what they want is the continuing adventures of "Rick Hunter" and all the other Macross Saga characters.

That's why they keep coming back to wanting the Sentinels to be revisited... because that's exactly what that was, the continuing adventures of the Macross Saga cast with some original characters who were largely just watered down copies of the cast of the Macross Saga (something the "movie" hangs a lampshade on in one of its very first scenes).

Quite a few Robotech fans have trouble migrating to Macross because they've spent so long having Harmony Gold dangle that particular carrot over their heads... so when they find out that Macross's sequels feature new casts and leave the characters of the original series alone after they earn their ending, they're a little disappointed. Then, of course, you've got the few fans who suffer from a case of reactionary-butthurt, where they hate Macross and everything associated with it because they're Masters Saga fans who are bitter about that saga's status as the un-favorite and distant third place to Macross even in Harmony Gold's eyes.

You can't deny though.. if Robotech hadn't existed a lot of us wouldn't be the fans of Anime and Mecha that we are today.

I also rather enjoy the music of Robotech, and the sound production in general.

I never liked Southern Cross.. even as a kid I thought it was boring and lame.

You can't deny though.. if Robotech hadn't existed a lot of us wouldn't be the fans of Anime and Mecha that we are today.

I also rather enjoy the music of Robotech, and the sound production in general.

I never liked Southern Cross.. even as a kid I thought it was boring and lame.

That might be true for the older fans among us, but the younger ones were introduced to anime and/or mecha through other, less obnoxious shows. Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED are cited a lot among younger fans as their gateway to mecha anime, which they typically encountered on cable television. For me, it was arguably a mixture of Macross II and Escaflowne.

You wouldn't be alone in not liking Southern Cross... even Robotech fans can't stomach it, which is hilariously tragic considering that its Robotech adaptation is the centerpiece of the Robotech story. But hey, it was bad enough to get canned in Japan when barely half done, so...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

A lot of people can deny that. I mean... back then we even didn't know that Robotech was an anime... that knowledge come years later!

Well, I watched Robotech growing up in Peru... Alongside "Ironman28" (which later became "the New Adventures of Gigantor") , "Mazinger Z" (Which later became "Tranzor Z"), "Minky Momo" ("Adventures of Gigi") and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember now. I think it's safe to say that even if Carl Macek and HG hadn't localized Macross as RT, we in the non-English-speaking regions of the world still would have gotten to see it sooner rather than later, because the localization process just wasn't as rigid in most of the world compared to the US/UK, just like the fact that Japanese anime was already old news and world-famous way, way, before "Akira". And that's to say nothing of the Southern California Cartoon/Fantasy Organization and how influential they were in the 80s.

Well, I watched Robotech growing up in Peru... Alongside "Ironman28" (which later became "the New Adventures of Gigantor") , "Mazinger Z" (Which later became "Tranzor Z"), "Minky Momo" ("Adventures of Gigi") and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember now. I think it's safe to say that even if Carl Macek and HG hadn't localized Macross as RT, we in the non-English-speaking regions of the world still would have gotten to see it sooner rather than later, because the localization process just wasn't as rigid in most of the world compared to the US/UK, just like the fact that Japanese anime was already old news and world-famous way, way, before "Akira". And that's to say nothing of the Southern California Cartoon/Fantasy Organization and how influential they were in the 80s.

You rang?

I certainly cannot deny that my gateway into Macross and what little anime outside of Macross that I do watch was Robotech. And what I can assume, based on comments in this thread and throughout my time on MW, is that The Macross Saga was the most popular/liked portion of Robotech - and that makes sense.

From a purely nostalgic sense I'd like for the brand name Robotech to not be synonymous with mud, but it is, and HG is what HG is.

And it's great that we our respective roads led us here, but the on topic discussion or question is do you want a new Robotech series. Maybe this thread should be turned into a poll/have a poll added...

-b.