Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

In an earlier post, I wrote that most of what was good in Robotech was from the Japanese source material. The one thing I thought HG did well was the voice acting and the background music. When I watched SDFM, I noticed that there was a lot less background music compared to Robotech. The music they added did a lot to enhance some of the scenes, especially the more somber ones. And while Minmei's voice was grating at times, most of the voice actors did a good job.

This is a remarkably similar situation to the Gatchaman-> Battle of the Planets translation. If you watch the original Gatchaman it's pretty good, but the music is "sparse" and "limited" to say the least. Watch Battle of the Planets, where Sandy Frank dragged in Hoyt Curtin to compose some tracks to supplement (not replace mind you) the Gatchaman music and the results were outstanding. And the voice acting work in BOTP was good as well, even though they had a very limited cast like Robotech.

At this rate, kicktraq has them barely hitting their goal. If the funding drops off even more as the days go on, it probably won't make it at all.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/

What a shock. (sarcasm) Lets hope that WB is noticing how well this is going, (sarcasm) might get the RT:LAM out of development hell and into the grave once and for all.....

On topic, the take today was only about $1500.

What's really telling is that over the past few days, the size of the average contribution has been steadily trending downward.

Two days ago, when computed without the three significant outlying values, the mean donation was approximately $49.98. Last night, it was $46.32. That tells us that, while they are bringing in new backers at a trickle, those new backers aren't giving nearly as generously to the project as the first-ins did.

To date, I've only seen one person seriously attempt to defend the Kickstarter or the ideas therein... and that's one of those nuts who's a frothy-mouthed fanatic who's likely just responding to the surprising and welcome hope expressed by some Robotech fans that this failure will convince Harmony Gold to either sell the franchise to someone who can actually develop it better or at least relinquish their stranglehold on Macross.

What a shock. (sarcasm) Lets hope that WB is noticing how well this is going, (sarcasm) might get the RT:LAM out of development hell and into the grave once and for all.....

My good chum, what makes you think that hasn't already happened? The Robotech live-action movie has every appearance of a license that was only taken out so Warner Bros could sit on it and do nothing.

I was looking at other kicktraq datas on other projects and it seems normal that after a couple of days the donation drops, I'm not sure if this is significant because the goal is different for every project but as long as it receives a steady stream of backers and if they can spike it once and a while, it's still pretty possible to reach the goal. It's too early to tell though because we can't see if this will be a continuous drop or if they can pick it up to a steady stream of about 10k a day with a few meaningful spikes. Staying at 1.5k a day is a bad sign though. That's only an additional 45k towards the end, even if they spike a few days, they'll end up at around 200k at that rate.

I know taks was being sarcastic... But to indulge the thought... I'm not sure if they're even on the WB map anymore. This summer has been largely dissapointing for a lot of studios and they'll be focusing on putting their money on properties that have a strong proven draw or properties that have a crazy amount of following already, like teenage girl romance books and best sellers. I don't think Robotech is a property that is anywhere near those requirements. I mean you have to put about $250 million into a movie like Robotech. That's a huge stake on a property that needs a kickstarter just to get a pilot made. They'd have to hit it out of the ball park with this KS for them to get noticed by WB. I say they'd have to hit a stretch goal of $10 million just to get noticed. That's just numbers out of my ass but it's got to be way more than they're asking for.

San Diego Comic-Con is coming up, and you know they'll hype this thing as much as they can, so I guess that'll give them another spike.

We'll be seeing a lot con panel videos. Lol.

True, but I figure that Robotech has a fairly finite, limited fanbase. Question is, is that finite group going to keep donating money for a project that's asking the backers to pay for an overpriced dvd, or are we reaching saturation already?

Yup. Too early to tell. If anything this will give us good data on how strong the fandom really is. Another plus for this kickstarter project. I'm really glad they did this. Lol.

A lot of people can deny that. I mean... back then we even didn't know that Robotech was an anime... that knowledge come years later!

Huh?

I'm saying it was on TV and kids like TV. Then they got interested in other things because it was on TV. It was a Japanese cartoon on regular network tv.

I guess if you're of the age of Cartoon Network it's different, but I'm not talking to those little brats :D

I got into Akira and Battle Angel Alita and all that.

True, but I figure that Robotech has a fairly finite, limited fanbase. Question is, is that finite group going to keep donating money for a project that's asking the backers to pay for an overpriced dvd, or are we reaching saturation already?

My guess would be that we're probably getting close to the saturation point... Robotech's fanbase is very small, and has relatively few convention-goers. One of the recurring themes you'll hear if you talk to people who AREN'T drinking Harmony Gold's kool-aid about their convention panels is that the single largest group of attendees is usually people trying to get a good seat for whatever presentation has the room next. I doubt that'll contribute much towards their quota.

Either way, the resounding lack of enthusiasm many Robotech fan groups have expressed for the project is, in its own way, being felt by the Kickstarter. The KS comments page is halfway to a full-blown flame war, and there are a small number of fans who are supportive of the project trying to get various forums to lock the threads full of criticism for the idea, asserting (perhaps correctly) that the overwhelmingly negative reaction is dissuading people who are on the fence from backing it.

So... back on topic.

If this is going to be an "Academy" setting with the kids of the first generation, will the Daughter of the Genius have blue or blond hair?

At this rate, kicktraq has them barely hitting their goal. If the funding drops off even more as the days go on, it probably won't make it at all.

But how will we get our laughs if it fails?!?! This cannot stand!!!!!!

Because, seriously, I ALMOST got enough laughs out of the Shadow Chronicles debacle to justify buying myself a copy.

Almost. My DVD rack remains untainted, despite seeing a few LIMITED COLLECTOR'S BUY NOW SELL LATER ON EBAY EDITION copies clearanced out for five bucks.

I know taks was being sarcastic... But to indulge the thought... I'm not sure if they're even on the WB map anymore. This summer has been largely dissapointing for a lot of studios and they'll be focusing on putting their money on properties that have a strong proven draw or properties that have a crazy amount of following already, like teenage girl romance books and best sellers. I don't think Robotech is a property that is anywhere near those requirements.

Devil's advocate here, but from the perspective of a Hollywood exec checking off bullet-points, nerdy is "in" right now.

Superhero movies, giant robots, transforming robots, 80s nostalgia, japanese sci-fi adaptations... Nerdy as hell, and bringing in bank.

The bullet-point judgement system that seems to drive Hollywood decision-making processes says Robotech is the perfect next blockbuster. It has giant transforming japanese robots from the 80s. They're just missing superheroes.

What I'm saying is if they make a Robotech movie, Rick Hunter's gonna be a jedi.

If it bombs, it just proves audiences are sick of sci-fi, and nostalgia is dead. For real this time, not like every other time a bad movie did poorly and the suits ignored the movie's quality and made extrapolations from the bullet list instead.

The bigger obstacle here is the, err, "creative team" at HG. More specifically, the raging egos therein. They'll torpedo any attempt to get it on the big screen.

Which is a shame, because I would pay to see a Robotech movie produced by even a marginally-competent staff. Because giant transforming japanese robots from the 80s fills out MY bullet list.

But how will we get our laughs if it fails?!?! This cannot stand!!!!!!

Because, seriously, I ALMOST got enough laughs out of the Shadow Chronicles debacle to justify buying myself a copy.

Almost. My DVD rack remains untainted, despite seeing a few LIMITED COLLECTOR'S BUY NOW SELL LATER ON EBAY EDITION copies clearanced out for five bucks.

Devil's advocate here, but from the perspective of a Hollywood exec checking off bullet-points, nerdy is "in" right now.

Superhero movies, giant robots, transforming robots, 80s nostalgia, japanese sci-fi adaptations... Nerdy as hell, and bringing in bank.

The bullet-point judgement system that seems to drive Hollywood decision-making processes says Robotech is the perfect next blockbuster. It has giant transforming japanese robots from the 80s. They're just missing superheroes.

What I'm saying is if they make a Robotech movie, Rick Hunter's gonna be a jedi.

If it bombs, it just proves audiences are sick of sci-fi, and nostalgia is dead. For real this time, not like every other time a bad movie did poorly and the suits ignored the movie's quality and made extrapolations from the bullet list instead.

The bigger obstacle here is the, err, "creative team" at HG. More specifically, the raging egos therein. They'll torpedo any attempt to get it on the big screen.

Which is a shame, because I would pay to see a Robotech movie produced by even a marginally-competent staff. Because giant transforming japanese robots from the 80s fills out MY bullet list.

Agreed, specially the last part. But that's always been the obstacle, if it wasn't for the death grip of the "creative" team, then everything on that bullet point has a chance of being true. A real and more resourceful management team would have hired actual showrunners to create new components to get past all the restrictions they've been dealing with and branded a whole new Robotech that by now could be taken seriously. We always compare it to Macross but even properties like Avatar: The Legend of Korra get refreshed. There's a small bit of the old series in there but it's a totally different take.

So... back on topic.

If this is going to be an "Academy" setting with the kids of the first generation, will the Daughter of the Genius have blue or blond hair?

Let's see, a bunch of kids in school who also have adventures flying transforming mecha... I'm guessing HG really really wishes they could get the rights to Macross Frontier right about now.

I would like to keep this topic open guys so lets focus on the main theme. The kickstarter+HG+fail.

Look I am a fan of the 1985 broadcast run. That is how I like it. I dont like the revisionist stuff the current regime has done.

I also love Macross. To me they are different things. I think that Robotech had its time though and maybe it should be put to rest.

I would like to keep this topic open guys so lets focus on the main theme. The kickstarter+HG+fail.

Look I am a fan of the 1985 broadcast run. That is how I like it. I dont like the revisionist stuff the current regime has done.

I also love Macross. To me they are different things. I think that Robotech had its time though and maybe it should be put to rest.

I completely agree with your last statement. Let it die.

I'm not a RT fan, so a new RT is not on my radar. As for HG, I hope they successfully bilk a modest amount of money from their fans, and then produce nothing, not even a crappy trailer. At some point, I would hope that even the die-hard hold-outs will give up on HG, and RT, and drop all support. As with RT, HG had their time, but it's time for them to close shop and relinquish control of the Macross license outside of Japan. Macross for all.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Funny, I had logged in here just now to post that same link. As others are predicting, here on Macross World and elsewhere, there will likely be a bump after the San Diego Comic Con. My prediction right now, though, is they will come up short of $500,000 unless they are able to extend the Kickstarter out to a later date. Most of the die-hards are probably aware of the existence of this Kickstarter campaign and have made a pledge they feel comfortable with.

But that's just the thing. How can one be comfortable putting money into this? If this were 10 years ago or even 14 years ago (2000) when the whole Robotech "revival" was starting, the economy and job market was much better, the anime "boom" was in full swing, 1980's nastalgia was real big, and not to mention that there wasn't a 14 year track record of disappointment and little to show for (not to mention alienation with Macross and Robotech fans alike), I think they would have a larger turnout of support.

I do hope, however, they are able to pull something off whether it be this new series or the Shadow Chronicles sequel. I know that Tommy, Kevin, and Steve (and Tom Bateman when he was still with HG) are all passionate about their work and having had the opportunity to be part of something that fired them up when they were young. Few people get that kind of opportunity. I can only imagine some of the fustration that is being dealt with on their end...

I just want someone to explain me if it is true that Harmony Gold owns the SDFM worldwide merchandising rights (excepting in Japan) granted from Nue studios and Big West for the eternity, How was that contract ? What were those japanese guys thinking about? Why did Kawamori allow this to happen?... Can someone explain?

Edited by VALKYRIE ACE PILOT

I honestly think the first 1000 backers were probably all Tommy Yune's email accounts he uses on RT.com

I imagin there are no nay sayers on RT.com right now. They are all probably starting to scratch build their Academy Cosplay outifts as we speak.

Edited by skullmilitia

I just want someone to explain me if it is true that Harmony Gold owns the SDFM worldwide merchandising rights (excepting in Japan) granted from Nue studios and Big West for the eternity, How was that contract ? What were those japanese guys thinking about? Why did Kawamori allow this to happen?... Can someone explain?

Read this Topic, it explains a lot.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36541

Alright.

LAST WARNING

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT MACROSS OR HG'S LICENSING OF MACROSS. THIS THREAD IS ONLY ABOUT HG'S ROBOTECH KICKSTARTER. IF YOU WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT MACROSS LICENSING, READ THIS THREAD FIRST: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36541

YOU CAN ALSO PM ANY MODERATOR FOR MORE DETAILS.

ANY FURTHER ATTEMPTS TO TALK ABOUT MACROSS LICENSING WILL RESULT IN TOPICS BEING LOCKED.

Looking at all the stuff that happened leading to the KS (practically nothing new) I'm surprised that Creavision wouldn't do one just for kicks. Was the C&D letter just a made up excuse so that HG and Creavision could plan the pilot?

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the CG work is complete.

Looking at all the stuff that happened leading to the KS (practically nothing new) I'm surprised that Creavision wouldn't do one just for kicks. Was the C&D letter just a made up excuse so that HG and Creavision could plan the pilot?

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the CG work is complete.

Don't know. That's another question for HG to ask on KS or at SDCC. One thing I'm starting to see on their KS page is "Where's HG?" and "The only place they want to answer questions is on their own forum." I don't know if anyone has tried to e-mail them but their KS feedback page is lacking in presence.

I expect they're gonna get a lot more questions and more press at SDCC. Whether or not they will be answered or if SDCC will make a significant difference in funding is a question all by themselves.

Don't know. That's another question for HG to ask on KS or at SDCC. One thing I'm starting to see on their KS page is "Where's HG?" and "The only place they want to answer questions is on their own forum." I don't know if anyone has tried to e-mail them but their KS feedback page is lacking in presence.I expect they're gonna get a lot more questions and more press at SDCC. Whether or not they will be answered or if SDCC will make a significant difference in funding is a question all by themselves.

Kevin's not really even answering questions, he's just posting links to articles about the Kickstarter. He was posting updates on how much money they've brought in but he's stopped doing that since the contributions have slowed down.

Insert GIF of Michael Jackson eating popcorn...

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-gif1.gif

Kevin's not really even answering questions, he's just posting links to articles about the Kickstarter. He was posting updates on how much money they've brought in but he's stopped doing that since the contributions have slowed down.

And that's suppose to get donors how?

They updated the page with a short video of the Spanish-language actor for Rick and Scott, obviously reading lines off a piece of paper (so far, not impressed by his acting).

It mentions that Spanish-speaking regions are the second-largest market for HG -- I would say it IS the largest.

I think HG is really starting to get desperate now... They should probably have pitched this in Spanish to begin with. :p

I should add that a lot of Latin American fans of RT were seriously pissed at the Creavision C&D fiasco, so maybe HG would have gotten more support for this from them if they had tried it this time last year.

Given how little HG is even addressing or updating the funders in comparison with other projects, I'm wondering if they had convinced themselves that this was gonna be an easy half million and are now realizing that they actually have to work for it?