Bandai - why do you hate them?

1/1 LowViz Lurker

If Arcadia were to get the Macross F license, would the customer base have a better chance at getting them?

In tangent to this, I wonder what is the exact reason why there is always a limited supply for bandai? Are they actually limiting supply or are not capable at all of fulfilling the demand? I mean even if they limit supply, the shops would be the one raising the price anyway. Maybe not enough resources are allocated to produce these macross frontier valks? Sorry if my analysis is wrong or something :/

Guest davidwhangchoi

In tangent to this, I wonder what is the exact reason why there is always a limited supply for bandai? Are they actually limiting supply or are not capable at all of fulfilling the demand? I mean even if they limit supply, the shops would be the one raising the price anyway. Maybe not enough resources are allocated to produce these macross frontier valks? Sorry if my analysis is wrong or something :/

we covered this so many times

They make gundam much easier to buy too. So it's like an annoying troll. Look at hlj tv show dedicated to building gundam model kits. Yuck. Imagine if they devoted half of that time covering macross toys? Loads more interest would build up for this show and bandai would sell more macross toys but they probably just fear making macross too big since gundam is their baby. If profits for macross are too big, gundam profits might even fall. That's my theory. I think if Big West let two companies develop 1/60 toys for mac f it would not cannibalise each other, rather they would make twice as much money.

Why do I say that? Because at least we fans could buy the actual mac f toys right? (if arcadia had the license)

Big West should consider having two lines: one by bandai and the other by Arcadia just as a test. It sounds crazy but if sales overall double for macross toys (as opposed to one company's toy sales being half due to the other toys company's sales increasing by being in competition) then they are better off overall due to enough supply to meet demand right? If I'm wrong just go back to one toy company again.

Agree with you that Gundam is the baby. Bandai almost if not always gives me the feeling that they want to make money from Macross but does not wish Macross become too big. One could see that they limit the number of stock to online retailers and yet so many brick and mortar stores in Japan have so many stock left over (which usually sell below the RRP). This allows them respecting their domestic market and yet make a lot of profit from the overseas (which many are paying RRP or above it) and yet restricting the exposure of Macross because of affordability. Still remember their cynical comment when Hasegawa first started to make Macross model? They said: Good luck!

Aside form that I like Bandai. They can make good Macross toys. The DX and the HiMetal lines are good. I still like the HiMetal VF-1.

Despite what people may think, Bandai is what we call a Business. Businesses have to make money, so it's normal for Businesses to take less risks and focus more on things that actually make them money.

One only needs to look at Yamato to see that catering to a niche market is financially risky.

SO it's no surprise that Bandai focuses on Gundam because there are way more gundam fans than Macross fans, despite what people may believe by participating on Macross fan site....

Hell, Preorder crap aside I'm happy there's more than one company making Macross toys at all!

Back when I first Joined Macross world last millennium (there was another mw-world board before 08/2003!) the Macross landscape was desolate.

All we had were out-of-reach 20+ year old 1/55s that could go up to over a thousand dollars (MIB 1/55 elint anyone?),

Garage kits that were pricey, or reissued Arii / Imai kits. Hell, when Yamato released their crappy 1/60 V1's we bent over and took it all because we were just so happy to have macross anything back then.

Just appreciate that Somebody is supporting the franchise and making a risk to provide Macross Toys at all.

Edited by Duymon

I can only add that the Bandai SPEC Dragonar and Layzner figs are INCREDIBLE.

And those titles are very niche are they not? And they continue to support each of these series with new releases.

RUN don't walk and get one of these. The Falguen is supreme, as an example. Die-cast endo-skeleton, all the right materials, high-grade plastics, TIGHT joints, lots of accessories and amazing packaging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Chogokin-Spec-XS-11-XFMA-09-Draguna-Falguen-JP-/220578973870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335b8808ae

I've bought - and THEN SOLD - almost all Megahouse, CMs and other off brands because they do not measure up. Shotty materials, design and they simply fall apart.

WAVE does seems to be great most of the time, but when I see Bandai I don't wonder whether it will be a good product or not . . .

I wouldn't say I "hate" bandai. I have a few of the metal build Gundams, and while they don't have any breakages some of the series suffer from loose joints, poor paint application (some more than others - freedom).

Overall I'm happy with my bandai VALKS, with the exception of the canon VF-171.

I don't believe in the "perfect" toy, as good as they get there is ALWAYS something that could have been done better.

I don't hate them. I recognize that Macross is a lesser license to them, and that the Western Hemisphere is not really their market concern. So be it. My Renewal VF-25G w/ Super Packs and my VF-171 Nightmare Plus w/ FAST packs are reasons enough for me to be thankful they're in the Macross market at all.

I hate Bandai for teasing me with the Robot Spirit VF-25S Armored in an exhibition but cancelled it.

I hate Bandai for releasing Tamashii Spec L Gaim mk I but not mk II. Oops. Off topic.

I live in Hong Kong, and preordering Gundam stuffs is easy. Even Metal Build (thus far).

For the misery that I cannot buy Macross stuffs easily in where I live, I hate Harmony Gold to my guts.

Not to mention the Voltron Robotech stuffs. Oops. Off topic again.

I hate Bandai for teasing me with the Robot Spirit VF-25S Armored in an exhibition but cancelled it.

I hate Bandai for releasing Tamashii Spec L Gaim mk I but not mk II. Oops. Off topic.

I live in Hong Kong, and preordering Gundam stuffs is easy. Even Metal Build (thus far).

For the misery that I cannot buy Macross stuffs easily in where I live, I hate Harmony Gold to my guts.

Not to mention the Voltron Robotech stuffs. Oops. Off topic again.

wow not even in HK? And here I thought HG has the rights only in the US...

Actually, you know what?

I don't hate Bandai.

I hate myself. Because I allow myself to get reamed by Bandai on a monthly basis with their preorders.

As horrible as Bandai's preorder practices are, I just accept them and bend over at 3 AM, pressing F5 like Mad like some crazed and abused crack junky looking for the next hit.

It's not Bandai, It's me. I hate myself.

Signed : Pretty much everyone collecting Macross Frontier at Macross world

Edited by Duymon

Actually, you know what?

I don't hate Bandai.

I hate myself. Because I allow myself to get reamed by Bandai on a monthly basis with their preorders.

As horrible as Bandai's preorder practices are, I just accept them and bend over at 3 AM, pressing F5 like Mad like some crazed and abused crack junky looking for the next hit.

It's not Bandai, It's me. I hate myself.

Signed : Pretty much everyone collecting Macross Frontier at Macross world

Such a well written post.

This goes for almost everything we fans complain about . . .

as far as hating bandai? they are the largest toy company in the world. hard to hate a faceless corporation although some would say it easier to. that being said, i DO like yamato/arcadia better because while they are indeed in the game to make money (i assume), i see more dedication to the craft than i do with bandai. i feel like i'm getting what is their best effort given the constraints. with bandai....there seems to be a bigger focus on just meeting certain requirements in terms of pricepoint, timing, lines etc. to me it was obvious (after getting a couple) that the V1 dx valk line really could have been better but they were rushed out to market because their market analysis probably told them they needed to capitalize quickly. yamarcadia doesn't have those restraints i guess. that being said i like the renewals but am disappointed they didn't come up with a better way than the ball jointed hips and shoulders (that can still loosen up easily) to get dowe what was needed to be done...

that beign said i am glad they are taking an interest in macross the franchise. in term sof populariety they have done alot for macross.

Such a well written post.

This goes for almost everything we fans complain about . . .

I don't stay up until 3 am hitting F5. I just pay a little extra at Nippon-Yasan. My sleep is worth more then some plastic thing.

Despite what people may think, Bandai is what we call a Business. Businesses have to make money, so it's normal for Businesses to take less risks and focus more on things that actually make them money.

One only needs to look at Yamato to see that catering to a niche market is financially risky.

SO it's no surprise that Bandai focuses on Gundam because there are way more gundam fans than Macross fans, despite what people may believe by participating on Macross fan site....

Hell, Preorder crap aside I'm happy there's more than one company making Macross toys at all!

Back when I first Joined Macross world last millennium (there was another mw-world board before 08/2003!) the Macross landscape was desolate.

All we had were out-of-reach 20+ year old 1/55s that could go up to over a thousand dollars (MIB 1/55 elint anyone?),

Garage kits that were pricey, or reissued Arii / Imai kits. Hell, when Yamato released their crappy 1/60 V1's we bent over and took it all because we were just so happy to have macross anything back then.

Just appreciate that Somebody is supporting the franchise and making a risk to provide Macross Toys at all.

I remember those days very well I had a Jetfire and an incomplete VE-1 and a Takatoku SDF-1 and that was it for over 10 years without hope of getting any more Macross toys. Prices for Valkyries made them unreachable. I'm not mad at Bandai either I am glad they are still making Macross toys.

Hmmm...I hate Bandai because they don't share their profits with me.

Dearest Bandai,

If you're (yes, you the company) reading this, then please PM me for my PayPal address. :D

Love,

-b.

I don't stay up until 3 am hitting F5. I just pay a little extra at Nippon-Yasan. My sleep is worth more then some plastic thing.

I'm always up at 3AM anyways because I'm an insomniac. also all of my successful orders have been through pure blind wandering into them.

After getting my 2 x VF-25A, I think Im done with Bandai Frontier line (even sold one back, MIB).

That one I have will be the sole representative of the Frontier series. Maybe sometime in the future I'll pick up Ozma's 29 and thats about it.

Cant see myself buying the 30...unless reviews / in-hand says its a fantastic toy. OK, I hate myself too.

Cant wait to see the new show (and valks) !

I guess I'm done with Bandai when the YF-30 is released.

On the other hand not that I got so many of the Frontier Valkyries I think I need the variants I missed. :D

Uuuh huh. Just like I was "done" when I finished my Hi-Metal collection. I'm quickly learning that this isn't a decision you get to make, for better or worse. :p As far as the preorder stuff...I find it waaaay too stressful so I usually don't bother. The HM VF-1A's were the only exception to that. Otherwise I just say "Ah, screw it" and try my luck on the aftermarket. It's usually cheaper than it would be to add international shipping and a proxy too, at least it seems that way...

buying anything Bandai is like sleeping with your ex..

You know you want to but its not so easy to achieve.. Then if / when you do it you love it! but then hate yourself for doing it.. And then the cycle starts all over again!

Always feels like a love / hate relationship kinda situation.. Right at this moment im in the "love" phase with my new Lucifer but then when I'll find something else Bandai I want & then I'll hate em for it..

Bandai blurs the line between kits and toys, many makers follow that philosophy now.

I was looking forward to the 1/100 Ranka andSheryl kits but am seriously disappointed when compared to my IdolMaster kits.

The 1/100 kits have little detail and what exists is all molded in, not even landing gear and all the markings are stickers (hate those). Most likely will ditch them when I return.

The IdolMaster kits in comparison are FULL 1/72 Scale Models with a ton of waterslide decals in addition to being about half the price of the Bandai offering.

I get about 6-8 times the modeling fun out of those.

Even my son no longer builds Bandai kits as he got bored with them, we only buy RG and old plastic models from them.

Edited by CrazyDude

Uuuh huh. Just like I was "done" when I finished my Hi-Metal collection. I'm quickly learning that this isn't a decision you get to make, for better or worse. :p As far as the preorder stuff...I find it waaaay too stressful so I usually don't bother. The HM VF-1A's were the only exception to that. Otherwise I just say "Ah, screw it" and try my luck on the aftermarket. It's usually cheaper than it would be to add international shipping and a proxy too, at least it seems that way...

Of course my comment was aimed solely on Frontier Valkyries. ;)

I feel the urge to get a YF-25 and a VF-171EX Alto Custom. :(

I'd recommend the 171...I don't have Alto's, but I seem to be one of the like 5 people who got a non-problematic mass-production 171, and it's a cool toy and by most accounts the 171EX is more sturdy. Though I'm not sure I'd say to get it if you can't get the armor parts. Having no missile hardpoints on the wings was a huge sticking point for me.

I'd recommend the 171...I don't have Alto's, but I seem to be one of the like 5 people who got a non-problematic mass-production 171, and it's a cool toy and by most accounts the 171EX is more sturdy. Though I'm not sure I'd say to get it if you can't get the armor parts. Having no missile hardpoints on the wings was a huge sticking point for me.

Yeah, but there are no missiles for any Bandai Renewal Frontier Valks besides what comes with the 171's Armor Parts. If you don't get the Armor for the 171 then there aren't any missiles to be had anyway - so there isn't a need for hard-points.

-b.

Yeah, but there are no missiles for any Bandai Renewal Frontier Valks besides what comes with the 171's Armor Parts. If you don't get the Armor for the 171 then there aren't any missiles to be had anyway - so there isn't a need for hard-points.

-b.

Sure, but I'm not talking about compared to other toys. The 25's didn't have missiles without Super or Armored packs in the anime anyway so that doesn't really matter to me. The 171 had wing-mounted missiles in the show though, which is why it was irksome.

Gotcha, it's been awhile since I've watched Frontier (TV or movies) so I didn't recall what additional ordinance the VF-171(EX) carried sans-Armor Packs.

And yeah, that's Bandai's MO - extras are extra!

-b.

Gotcha, it's been awhile since I've watched Frontier (TV or movies) so I didn't recall what additional ordinance the VF-171(EX) carried sans-Armor Packs.

And yeah, that's Bandai's MO - extras are extra!

-b.

It's not that the extras are extra.. it's that Bandai draws the line of what can be considered "extra" a lot lower than many other companies.

It's kind of like how Hasegawa aircraft kits really don't come with any weapons at all, and they expect you to buy their separate weapons packs. In that case though, you're usually buying something that can apply to half a million other aircraft kits that exist, and the weapons are universal.

Not including a weapon that is used only by a particular aircraft? That's where it gets cheap.

Edited by Chronocidal