Bandai DX YF-29 Ozma Lee Coloring

Kanedas Bike

Serious question; for those who consider VF-25/YF-29's to be hard/not fun to transform, what DO you consider a fun/easy to transform Macross toy? because of all the valks I've owned, the basic VF-25 is perhaps the single easiest and most intuitive to transform IMO.

The naked VF-25 is one of my favorites to transform. The Alto YF-29 not so much - too many pointy bits and the head doesn't work as smoothly.

My favorites to transform are the VF-1 and VF-11. Least favorite is the VF-171.

Still no shipping notice from NY.

I guess while they aren't really difficult, I don't find any bandai valks fun to transform because every time feels like a game of "how much paint will you scratch off this time?" The valks themselves are designed to transform fine... but it feels like there was a disconnect between the people designing the valks for the anime, and the people trying to make them work in real life.

Mostly, it just feels like they didn't think a lot of features through on the "playability" side of things when designing the valk, even before the toy was even conceived. But at the Bandai level, the excess diecast, and places where painted surfaces rub directly against each other stick out as just not getting a lot of thought.

To be fair though, a lot of the paint problems fall back to the anime. Nothing from any of the previous series (short of an angelbirds scheme) even came close to the wacky amount of paint colors and panels these valks have. The 171 in particular looks like it was painted by a five-year-old with a pack or magic markers, so of course the paint is going to be an obstacle to transformation.

Edited by Chronocidal

I don't know why everyone says transforming YF-29's / 25's is so hard or boring. They obviously haven't been handling their VF-22's / YF-21's lately :p

Word. After I transformed my Max and Millia VF22s, they have stayed in Battroid mode since. I'm to scared to transform them back.

VF-1 is bar the funnest transformation of all the valks. The Yf-29 was frustrating the first time but i consider it pretty fun now. the Vf-27 was surprisingly fun too. But like others have said the paint scratching takes the fun out the bandai valks. The point in front of the cockpit always seems to get scratched on my frontier valks. Really frustrating.

Wow, I consider all the Bandai Frontier valks to be more play-friendly and fun to transform than ANY Yamato. I consider the -27 the most fun of the Frontier designs. (Still waiting for a renewal Grace or even Mei's at this point)

Word. After I transformed my Max and Millia VF22s, they have stayed in Battroid mode since. I'm to scared to transform them back.

From what i remember it was the very last step about getting the legs in place correctly and then sliding the covers over that was the most annoying part because the tolerance is minimal. Up to that you shouldn't have a problem.

Just got mine, and yeah, I'm fairly convinced that the lighter gray patch is not so much a texture error, but a lighting error in the game that makes it look brighter. Being on a separate piece of the plane means the same smoothing/lightning angles aren't applied, and it shows up as a different shade if you get light reflecting the wrong way.

That----most all of the other screen shots show it as the same dark grey as everything else. Also, the sample, which has correctly-painted stripes and everything else (unlike the production run), had it in dark grey.

Ok, went ahead and opened mine. The first thing that stood out (besides the very annoying mis-transformation with one of the legs and arms) was how much darker the grey is in person.

I'm sure it's a combination of lighting, camera flash and my monitor settings but this Valk is pretty dark - enough so that the dark canopy kind of makes sense (I still don't like it, and will probably work up the nerve to remove the blue as well).

Also held it up to the 25A/S Gunpod and while this one didn't need to be that exact color, some dark shade of metallic grey or silver would have made a nice difference.

Glad I made the purchase and opened her up.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ok, went ahead and opened mine.

Whaat? jk :p don't worry, i have 2x coming in ;) i'm glad you kept yours as i think it's the best color of the 29s. you getting the super parts for it?

LOL - was waiting for the reaction!

I honestly didn't think I'd like this as much as I do (or at all really once I started seeing pictures) but I agree the overall scheme is very nice with Isamu's custom as a close 2nd. I probably won't get the Super Parts, the only 29 Super's I've ordered are those for Isamu.

Side note, I had (2) at N-Y but let them cancel (before the whole short supply incident) and picked up my (1) via Hobby Search.

-b.

Day three with no response back from N-Y about he shipping delay. I just don't see doing business with them again after this. It really burns me up that I paid in full back in February, and now they won't even respond to my question as to when they might expect to be able to fulfill the order.

Day three with no response back from N-Y about he shipping delay. I just don't see doing business with them again after this. It really burns me up that I paid in full back in February, and now they won't even respond to my question as to when they might expect to be able to fulfill the order.

I emailed them and the response I got was my order will be shipped out beginning of next week. :huh: I know this doesn't make up for the lack of response to your question by NY, I do hope you get order soon.

Edited by Saburo

I've sucessfully "lightened" the deep blue fold crystals. Will try the same technique on the canopy. But the canopy is 10x more complicated shape-wise (due to framing etc), so I won't be surprised if it can't be done well.

(if it fails, and I have to totally strip and re-tint the canopy, I'm going to re-do the crystals too, so it all matches)

The fold crystals are totally clear plastic, with a layer of silver paint on the bottom, and clear blue paint on top. The top surface is totally smooth, so it's easy to paint/strip/etc. The bottom surface has all the molded in detail, and shoudl be left silver-as-is.

I'm considering repainting the stand like the rest of my Chogokin Frontier stands. Any suggestions on what color to paint the SMS?
I could always go with the standard yellow, but I'm open to ideas.

I emailed them and the response I got was my order will be shipped out beginning of next week. :huh: I know this doesn't make up for the lack of response to your question by NY, I do hope you get order soon.

Same thing. Next week they said. I can wait, not a big deal.

I had the delayed shipping email from NY a few days ago. When I first read the email it was almost as if they wanted a cancellation, I honestly think their motivation is "lost in translation". I was a little ticked off at the wording, but a sent them a quick email via the ticket system. About two hours later they replied stating it's only a delay and they apologised in a sincere way.

Not excusing their lack of reply to those of you still waiting, hopefully everyone gets their desired outcome.

odd, of all the flaws NY has, they've always responded to me when I sent a message. Anyway, i got a reply back to my messages but still no date. i have a feeling they are sending people out to retial locations to secure the units they do not have in stock or something, or else they would know when their next shipment is coming in. either way, we (NY and I) have a very strong difference of opinion of how a retailer/reseller should do business. I also think they love to pass along the frustration and blame a little too much - not very customer oriented....especially for what i think is a japanese company. either way - i'm going to wait it out. I'm not going to cancel and risk having them threaten to cancel the rest of my preorders from them. that being said, they are no longer on my "go to" list for being reliable.

Wow, I consider all the Bandai Frontier valks to be more play-friendly and fun to transform than ANY Yamato. I consider the -27 the most fun of the Frontier designs. (Still waiting for a renewal Grace or even Mei's at this point)

i consider the V2 1/60 vf-1 to be the most play friendly. Simple transformation. Nice tight joints (granted i don't play around with them as much as i would a $20 TF voyager class toy whcih btw these days do not stand up to any play really without getting super loose...thanks lazy designers and ball joints!) except for my early run VF-1S dyrl valks (which i bought replacemtn shouler parts for but mine never broke after all these years...come to think of it i don't even know where my veef shoulder parts are lol). that have loose shoulder hinges.

I'm considering repainting the stand like the rest of my Chogokin Frontier stands. Any suggestions on what color to paint the SMS?

I could always go with the standard yellow, but I'm open to ideas.

Make it a low viz stand, paint the SMS a dark grey.

managed to order this beauty for USD220 include shipping and i know is a bit expensive but i did get it regardless how crazy low stock this item is.

That really isn't a bad price overall. Good for you, I really do love the paint scheme on this thing.