What percentage of your Bandai Valks are scratched?

Lupin The Third

33 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of you Bandai RENEWAL Valks are scratched?

• 100%/All of them
    • 75% or more
    • 50-75%
    • 25-50%
    • 25% or less
    • None, all perfect and I inspected them to be sure.

So up until about two weeks ago all but one of my Valks were still new in box and unopened for a couple of reasons, mostly because my collection room is undergoing a somewhat long and stalled renovation. However in the 171CF thread I kept seeing folks mention scratches on their Valks again and again. So I began to open mine to inspect for similar problems plus any other missing parts. Out of 11 Valks all but one have the damn scratches! I have never seen such lack of quality control before! I even thought "maybe the Yamatos have these too and I never noticed" so I checked a few of my Yamato valks...not a single scratch anywhere. Also nothing wrong with my Bandai GX-48 Big-O, or my ten year old Bandai SOC Eva figures, nor even the "cheap"-by-comparison Bandai Robot Damashii figures I have.

So my query for MW is how much of your collection is scratched? If you haven't seen scratches on your Bandai Valks before I'd suggest you look closely in a variety of lighting to confirm. Chances are they are there even if you haven't noticed them yet.

I cannot even begin to convey how much of the joy of collecting these Valks has been completely taken away from me. If Bandai were a US based company I quite honestly would be talking to an attorney and considering starting a class action lawsuit, but because they're in Japan they can just claim "not intended for export" to avoid having to have an ounce of integrity with their products. I am stunned that they think it is acceptable to sell customers a ~$150+ toy that looks like a 5 year old got ahold of it. This is supposed to be "Chogokin" quality?

And when my wife found out she blew up. She couldn't care less about macross or anime but she inquired what was wrong with all of us (yes she's seen me chatting on MW) that's we'd allow a company to sell us such garbage. I told her I'm about ready to sell them off and just go back to reputable companies and collecting stuff that matters like firearms. Had I known sooner I wouldn't have bought a single unit.

EDIT: Sorry for any confusion but I was actually asking about the Renewal Chogokin Valks. If you still want to post comments about 1/55s, Hi-Metals, etc go ahead. I was curious about the prevalance amongst the Chogokin line specifically.

Edited by Lupin The Third

1 of 1 for me :D

That's a sucky way to start the collection off. Ironically the first one of mine also, the VF-25F, does have scratches and has been open since I bought it. The lighting in the room I display them allowed the scratches to hide so I never relaized until people were talking about it with the 171CF; the green makes it way more obvious than on the lighter color valks.

Where's the option for, "I don't care, stop making such a mountain out of a mole hill?"

So you like paying $150+ for a toy that's scratched to frakk and back? Wow....some people really are blind fanbots that will gladly pay for cheap crap if it has the right branding. Guess that makes sense, that's how Apple makes their money too...I just thought actual collectors would have a little more sense than that. Obviously not. :lol:

Yes, most of the Bandai Frontier Valks have scratches on them. But to be honest, the scratches are so small and mostly only viewable under certain lighting conditions and at certain angles, that I don't notice them. Basically, unless I'm looking really closely and specifically looking for them, I'd never notice the scratches.

So do these scratches spoil my enjoyment of the toy, no, not in the least. The self-losening hip and shoulder joints spoil me enjoyment far more.

And it's nothing to do with "paying for cheap crap because it has the right branding". I buy these beacuse they are nicely designed, have great looking sculpts and I like the Frontier designs and Bandai is the only game in town as far as Frontier toys go.

Graham

So you like paying $150+ for a toy that's scratched to frakk and back? Wow....some people really are blind fanbots that will gladly pay for cheap crap if it has the right branding. Guess that makes sense, that's how Apple makes their money too...I just thought actual collectors would have a little more sense than that. Obviously not. :lol:

naw, I just don't feel like flying into a frothy-mouthed rage over every single minute flaw on a product that I never would have even noticed had someone on the internet not pointed it out.

Yes, heaven forbid that I just ask a simple question like "hey, how many of your valks are scratched up too?". Forgot, this is MW where only the shitheads can start a thread or ask a question. :D

Because, "If Bandai were a US based company I quite honestly would be talking to an attorney and considering starting a class action lawsuit," is totally not a gross overreaction and is a perfectly reasonable way to ask a simple question and start an open, reasonable discussion. Edited by anime52k8

My biggest beef was with my Renewal VF25S. Not only is is missing the crotch piece but also heavy scratches on the wings. And it was a MISB unit. Is as if it was handled by someone with ham fingers.
There are some notable scratches on my CF171, but not as bad as my VF25S.

But other than that, I just display mostly and will sometimes play with the toy. Not too hung up about it.

I've had 6 DX valks, and had 0 problems.

But for you guys missing parts, I mean that's just stupid

And arrogant that Bandai won't aide customers outside of

Japan, customers are customers.

I feel like Bandai exc's are the Dorks from Tokyo drift talking about Gaijin's.

They call up HLJ " why you selling to Gaijin's Scott?"

Even Bandai America gets the shaft, most of the Bandai items in the states are toys made for 3-5 year olds.

I think part of Lupin point is how a well resourced toy company like Bandai could allow such mistakes to occur in a toy 1. Expensive, 2. Difficult to get 3. Supposed collectible. 4. Not one design, not two design, but all their designs.

Anyway, glad I don't like the Frontier valks or Bandai and not falling for their cash cow gimmicks.

None as yet, fingers crossed but I couldn't care enough to use the poll but sufficiently to write a reply, possibly to boost my post count.

Okay seriously yes bandai should know better but there isn't much we can do about it when we keep throwing our money at them and the scalpers.

Can you at least provide some pictures of the damaged parts on your Bandai Valkries?

I inspected mine and the VF-25s have almost no scratches that I would identify as a defect. Most of them seem like normal marks that come from the mold. My VF-171 has some scratches but that might be due to me transforming the toy.

Nothing on my Valkyries seems anywhere near problematic QC.

I have to admit that none of my Yamato Valkyries are having that kind of marks. In addition I think it is also difficult to compare them to other toys that are not planes. The wings of a plane (to an extend the fuselage) are large surfaces that might have different characteristics when being molded. I encountered the scratches only on the wings and no other parts.

None of the markings are reducing the value of the toy in any way as far as I'm concerned but your mileage may vary.

Yes, most of the Bandai Frontier Valks have scratches on them. But to be honest, the scratches are so small and mostly only viewable under certain lighting conditions and at certain angles, that I don't notice them. Basically, unless I'm looking really closely and specifically looking for them, I'd never notice the scratches. So do these scratches spoil my enjoyment of the toy, no, not in the least. The self-losening hip and shoulder joints spoil me enjoyment far more. And it's nothing to do with "paying for cheap crap because it has the right branding". I buy these beacuse they are nicely designed, have great looking sculpts and I like the Frontier designs and Bandai is the only game in town as far as Frontier toys go. Graham

Agree! I hate the loosen joints much worse.

How tight the joints are is random out of the box. I have a YF-29 whose crotch couldn't lock well at all so it would collapse in B mode. Another YF-29 is just fine.

I like how the DX looks, but I am too scared to pose them. The joints would get loosen further.

while i'm not in a RAGE about it, i am quite disappointed. I always knew they existed because its just the way I am used to looking at things. That being said, they don't bother me all that much as I won't notice them unless i look at them real close up and look for scratches. On the darker VF-171 I notice them a little more easily due to the color, but even then that is inside of a foot. From normal viewing distances the finish on the DX's is actually quite nice, sort of a throwback to shiny glossy toys of yesteryear. Had they gone matte with the plastic finish these scratches would be harder to see i'd guess.

to be honest, i' haven't gone back and examined all my DX's for it but I'm quite confident almost all if not all will have them. i think its a systemic issue with the way the toys are assembled and finished on the line (specifically storage of parts on the assembly line and perhaps a wiping operation they may use to remove mold release). I would go so far as to say if you don't see these scraches or swirl marks that you haven't seen the thing close up under the right lighting. if you want to make yourself crazy and see EVERYTHING, use ample fluorescent lighting...all flaws are visible under that lighting usually.

i think i've gotten over it. If it bothers me more i'll find a way to fill in those swirls somehow.

oh and yes the self loosening joints are the worst part of the DX valks. Thankfully some are able to be tightened with screws or the nail polish/future method.

Edited by Mechapilot77

pls dont mention apple.

i never seen anyone with 3 ipads or 3 iphones or 3 ipod at the same time.

but here? its everywhere. some has 10 valks of same color.

apple fan has a long way to go, man.

pls dont mention apple.

i never seen anyone with 3 ipads or 3 iphones or 3 ipod at the same time.

but here? its everywhere. some has 10 valks of same color.

apple fan has a long way to go, man.

but... but... they have different colored stripes and different heads... :(

Yes, heaven forbid that I just ask a simple question like "hey, how many of your valks are scratched up too?". Forgot, this is MW where only the shitheads can start a thread or ask a question. :D

So you raged about your spending and then when you did not get expected responses(a class action suit against Bandai with yourself as the red blooded inspiring hero with Two Steps from Hell in the bg) you lash out at the community with insults? And you ask why some of us even bother to respond seriously.

Edited by raptormesh

I think it should be reported so Bandai can correct the issue. There is no reason a new toy should be scratched, especially one with that price tag.

That said, It's not the end of the world, as I can't really see them unless I look closely.

If it comes down to the wire between a Bandai unit and some other toy in the future, it might affect my decision to buy from them if I haven't heard that it is corrected.

I would be super pissed if I got one with a missing piece.

Bottom line, somebody in their chain isn't doing their job.

Edited by Gakken85

I would gladly tell Bandai about this but I'm sure that a) someone from their core customer base (Japan) already pointed out the issue and b) they know about the issue and for some reason can't respond to it.

As an example: I'm sure that Bandai is aware of the issue with the VF-171CF Super Parts (the armor panels have the wrong color). But do they plan to respond? (the sad truth) No I don't think so!

However I'm interested in reliable data if the scratches are a common thing but for that we need the input of the MW base. Of course the poll won't help us because it doesn't tell how many Valkyries of what type (VF-25/YF-29/VF-171) the board member has and how many of them are scratched.

Also we don't have any reference material of cases where the part is clearly defect. Looking at my own Bandai Valkyries I can't tell if the scratches on my toys are the ones where are talking here. So they could be there by default due to the molding process or come from playing with the toys or are factory defects.

Where's the option for, "I don't care, stop making such a mountain out of a mole hill?"

If you guys don't like a topic, just stay out of it. If it's unpopular it'll die on it's own. If people choose to discuss it then the thread stays open. No need to turn the discussion ugly because it's not something you're interested in.

And if you don't care... then why are you so adamant about people having a discussion? Making a mountain of a molehill is exactly what you did here.

i just paid $180ea. shipped for my two 1/60 VF-19S, the first one to display and enjoy, the second as insurance policy against anything going wrong with my first.

$180 is pricey for me. one hell of a lot more reasonable than the $300 that these toys originally MSRPed at, to be sure, but still premium priced all the same.

granted, both my copies entered my possession scratch-free out of the box, but both also had the very same part fall loose from the shoulder pauldron

that i had to superglue back into place.

kind of ridiculous for a $300.00 adult collectable toy? Sure. am i gonna get on the net and rage about it? Not a Chance.

this "toy" has seen a lot of futzing around and transformations from me. it's gotten a little rough around the edges as a result,

and seen a minute degree of paint-chipping as a result.

as such, even if it had arrived with a little surface scuffing out of box, i wouldn't have been overly butt-hurt over it.

after all, it would have been just as likely to accumulate such defects under the use i was intending to put it through.

all the same, it is regrettable that such "defects" make their way past QC to final shelf product these days.

still, it is to be expected from enrolling what was once a third-world nation (until quite recently)

to wholly manufacture most everything us first-world consumers of the world desire, including our premium priced adult toys...

I have a 2nd hand renewal VF-25F that's been boxed and shipped a few times as a result. It's also been transformed and had the armor package applied several times. After all that, I have yet to find any scratches or scuffs on the model etc. etc. I guess I lucked out on this one.

It's my only Bandai valk - so far - and I'm fairly impressed with it.

100% of mine came either scratched or scuffed up out of the box. It's part of the reason I clear coat them. It hides the ugly scuff marks that's otherwise glaringly obvious on the glossy plastic. So in the end it becomes a non-issue to me. The things I have issue with are the broken or missing parts and the crappy way Bandai handles customer service (having to ship the entire thing back instead of just sending a part).

After reading through the Macross thread on TFW I think the better question would be how much of your VF-171CF shoulders are cracked. :unsure:

Can you link us? I have yet to hear of cracked shoulders on the VF-171. Are you referring to the black triangle part that others here have complained about?

Yes they are the triangle cover parts between the chest and the shoulder pauldrons. In the thread someone said that the shoulder joint is to thick so it applies to much pressure onto the housing causing the upper black triangle pieces (the one with the NUNS marking) to crack. I couldn't check the thread recently so better see for yourself if I got everything right.

It's The Macross Thread in the Toyark sub-forum of TFW2005.com

Votes? No, this thread needs to be filled with pictures! I don't think any of my DX toys came with scratches before I handled them... but I suspect we're talking about minor scuffs from assembly or something so maybe it's just something I'd never notice.

I think all of the renewals do have some scratches that can be seen in the right light. If had the skills of MacrossJunkie I would do what he does with clear coat them. Bandai uses the smooth finish, and I think they end up scratching up the parts possibly while removing the mold release. On all of my Yamato toys with a smooth finish, I had lots of mold release but no scratches on the finish.

Edited by Loop