IXTL

Thanks for the very detailed explanation, especially for the consolidation service bit--I didn't see that they offer something like that. I will think about trying them out.

Btw, Japan has new requirements and the first package sent to you by Tenso will need to be at your residential address when you provide proof of your residential address. Once they have sent a package to that address and finish their proof of identity process, you can then send to any address. This new requirement started from 1 April this year.

http://imgur.com/a/fHe2Q

The transformation was fun... for the most part.

I had issues with:

1. The little slidey black tabs in the armpit. wasn't sure how to position them at first.

2. Pulling one of the legs all the way out at the hip. That little pop was fine on one leg, but annoying on the other.

3. I didn't figure out that I had the head twisted improperly until I was almost finished, and I had to backtrack.

3. Locking the chest in. I finally figured out that back plate and the mid nose cone snap together near the bottom, not up at the back.

Overall it's very sturdy and looks beautiful. I'm still a bit pissed about the scuffs from the factory... it's like buying a new car with scratches on it, but maybe I'll get another at some point.

I don't think the transformation is any worse than the Masterpiece Skywarp, other than fiddling with the chest locks. I love the articulation in the legs and the metal bits.

I find it difficult to get the chest lock and the back plate lock at the same time. Took me many times as whenever I lock the back plate, the chest lock will unlock. I finally sort of manage to get it done, but feel that the chest lock will come unlock easily.

I find it difficult to get the chest lock and the back plate lock at the same time. Took me many times as whenever I lock the back plate, the chest lock will unlock. I finally sort of manage to get it done, but feel that the chest lock will come unlock easily.

Yeah, it's hard to hold the toy and configure it without hitting a flap or lock that screws the whole thing up. It can be a little frustrating. Especially the locking bar under the cockpit. I pushed that thing back up into the cockpit 100 times.

But if you have some patience it's very rewarding.

I have finally reached the point in handling my 171 toys where my hands instinctively go to the right places and it is a much less frustrating experience... and I'm enjoying these guys a whole lot more. If it weren't for those stupid wings I'd be getting warm and fuzzy about this one.

I got my 2nd one from NY today. Thanks to Loop for showing me I need more than just 1 lol. I love the look of the fighter and I preordered 2 armor sets as well making a very tough looking squadron.

No problem, I just had to show what a squad would look like in formation with Alto present. Pretty soon between me you Usagiz and Funkymonkey we'll require a whole runway at Seatac lol.

I have finally reached the point in handling my 171 toys where my hands instinctively go to the right places and it is a much less frustrating experience... and I'm enjoying these guys a whole lot more. If it weren't for those stupid wings I'd be getting warm and fuzzy about this one.

Me and you must be opposites. I never had a wing fall off on any of the 171's in my fleet. I am finding it more and more frustrating the more I transform these guys. I got #2 of 3 of my CF squad transformed so I can check qc. I am dreading doing another and then putting them all back into fighter mode where I like them best.

I don't think the transformation is any worse than the Masterpiece Skywarp,

Really? I think MP seekers are 10x easier. You at least know when you're "done" with a section. Most of the time with a -171 it's more like "well, I guess that's it for this step---the part positioning is about an 85% match to the drawing in the manual, but nothing really "clicked" into place nor seems to be locked at max extension..."

I watched a few transformation videos before attempting to transform mine. My wings also stayed on the entire time.

Thanks to Jenius on Anymoon.com for that video.

Jenius - That's one reason I collect toys. The challenge and fun of transformation. It helps me relax as I treat it as a big puzzle. I get frustrated sometimes, mostly because of time constraints, but I look forward to such a zen like level of awareness with my fingers.

Yup, Benson13, I had zero issues with the wings. Glad I missed out on that with the Alto version haha!

David - It clicks and locks if you transform it correctly. There are two lock holes in the back that slot the wing section to the back, and one big snap at the bottom of the back plate for the torso section. I agree that the The head does feel a little loose hanging up there with no clear lock, but it doesn't droop. This also frees you up for lots of head movement. When handling the piece I would def, suggest grabbing the top part of the leg, as those super tight leg joints hold like a champ. If you start grabbing the chest it's going to knock something loose if you're not careful.

Also really pleased with how tight the hands are, though I found slotting the gun pod a little annoying. Maybe because the lower fingers were a little tight.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

after reading 16 pieces falling off in transformation, i have an alto 171 i haven't opened and i'm thinking about letting my 171 CF sit in private warehouse a bit more in case something comes up and i want to combine shipping or ask for a refund for store credit (15% hit) to pay for the vf27 pre order...

after reading 16 pieces falling off in transformation, i have an alto 171 i haven't opened and i'm thinking about letting my 171 CF sit in private warehouse a bit more in case something comes up and i want to combine shipping or ask for a refund for store credit (15% hit) to pay for the vf27 pre order...

Take the 171. Thing is, when you do want one down the line, you'll have it. Sometimes when you give one up and want to go back, it'll cost a pretty penny.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Take the 171. Thing is, when you do want one down the line, you'll have it. Sometimes when you give one up and want to go back, it'll cost a pretty penny.

thanks for the push, i'm going to request it to be shipped now then :)

haha, yeah i have to say transformation on the vf-171 seems very not intuitive. i had to watch videos when i did my alto (havne't done my cf yet). I don't look forward to changing him back to fighter mode to lead my CFs into battle. i'll have to watch the vids again etc...hope there is one for going back to fighter mode. i wish i could transform it as easilty as a masterpiece seeker. I think i can do those in well under 5 minutes these days (granted i have tons of practice as i have most of them ). I would be ecstatic if I could do ANY of the DX chogokins in under 20 minutes. The mid section is just always "did i do that right?" and comparing with pictures or vids and fiddling around with it.

also there is also the fear or TFing it too much will make it loose (then again the V1's seem to get loose sitting on a shelf after being tight thru a first transformation, haven't checked on my V2s in months). no such fear with MP Seekers.

Edited by Mechapilot77

Finally got around to actually transforming it today and now I remember why I keep my 171 eternally in fighter mode. :p

Had to transform it at least once to make sure no parts are missing. Arms were actually fine this time, but the hips were still ridiculously tight and damn near impossible to move.

Noticed the area around the yellow visor in the head was incorrectly masked and painted. Probably won't bother fixing it since it's going back to fighter mode forever.

The areas I found difficult to transform is to get the back plate lock at the lower torso to stay while trying to lock the back with wings with the two holes, and getting the arms in the correct position back to fighter. Other than that, it's not too bad once you figure everything out. Got mine back to fighter and may stay that way for a while and my broken part seems to be holding after using super glue.

No problem, I just had to show what a squad would look like in formation with Alto present. Pretty soon between me you Usagiz and Funkymonkey we'll require a whole runway at Seatac lol.

Lol We can take the 3rd runway there. Maybe even a few hangars. :p

Guest davidwhangchoi

The areas I found difficult to transform is to get the back plate lock at the lower torso to stay while trying to lock the back with wings with the two holes, and getting the arms in the correct position back to fighter. Other than that, it's not too bad once you figure everything out. Got mine back to fighter and may stay that way for a while and my broken part seems to be holding after using super glue.

this thread and the bandai threads in general sway my decisions daily, when everyone wanted to get these, i rushed to hunt for a pre-order. when i read it's hard to transform, i'm thinking of returning/selling, now i'm thinking it won't be so bad.... as long as i keep it in fighter mode

The bandai threads and panic thread has changed my sleep and buying habits :rolleyes:

over the past two months

Edited by davidwhangchoi

thanks for the push, i'm going to request it to be shipped now then :)

:D many a time I've been on the fence, only to regret the decision. Even if it takes a bit of work to transform it, at least you have one to transform. If and when Bandai stop making Valks, everyone will be panic buying/moaning

:D many a time I've been on the fence, only to regret the decision. Even if it takes a bit of work to transform it, at least you have one to transform. If and when Bandai stop making Valks, everyone will be panic buying/moaning

That's the spirit, I know these 171's can annoy but I need to complete the frontier collection as much as I can. The bird is sexy too so even if I don't mess with them often, I have a squad of sexiness to display. :D I would rather buy a valk and be able to sell it off than to not have the valk at all and end up paying more in the long run and going through hell trying to find it.

That's the spirit, I know these 171's can annoy but I need to complete the frontier collection as much as I can. The bird is sexy too so even if I don't mess with them often, I have a squad of sexiness to display. :D I would rather buy a valk and be able to sell it off than to not have the valk at all and end up paying more in the long run and going through hell trying to find it.

Dude I'm tingling! We're on the same wavelength. Thing is, you want to be able to have choice. Sometimes money can't get you what you want if you wait too long. Even if you have the dough, you don't know what conditions the box was in, or if there's a problem, you're not gonna get an exchange. Money can be made back, but you can't magically make a valk...well not until we discover magic...and if that's the case, I'd want a Vf-2SS :p

I don't know why everyone has such a bad time transforming it. Modern Valkyires can be transformed in a breeze. Sure parts fly of left and right and sometimes even crack of or disintegrate but that's ok, I just threw them in the trash bin and grab another one from the dispenser. :rolleyes:

Seriously sure some parts of the VF-171 are hard to transform at first but if you get used to it and know how parts have to be moved you're fine. As a kid I always dreamed about complex transformations and that my transforming toys look like in the cartoon/comic. Now that we are at a point where we can have screen accuracy were bitching about transformation schemes. To a point you can't have the one without the other.

Could it be better? Yes! If you look at the VF-17 from Yamato. But this toy has it's own set of problems where the Bandai toy shines so it boils down to a trade off.

I love my VF-17 but somethings of this mold could be done better and it is the same with the VF-171.

My advice. Take your time, learn the transformation scheme and enjoy the toy while playing with it. It will fall apart soon enough. ;)

Edited by Scyla

I don't know why everyone has such a bad time transforming it. Modern Valkyires can be transformed in a breeze. Sure parts fly of left and right and sometimes even crack of or disintegrate but that's ok, I just threw them in the trash bin and grab another one from the dispenser. :rolleyes:

Seriously sure some parts of the VF-171 are hard to transform at first but if you get used to it and know how parts have to be moved you're fine. As a kid I always dreamed about complex transformations and that my transforming toys look like in the cartoon/comic. Now that we are at a point where we can have screen accuracy were bitching about transformation schemes. To a point you can't have the one without the other.

Could it be better? Yes! If you look at the VF-17 from Yamato. But this toy has it's own set of problems where the Bandai toy shines so it boils down to a trade off.

I love my VF-17 but somethings of this mold could be done better and it is the same with the VF-171.

My advice. Take your time, learn the transformation scheme and enjoy the toy while playing with it. It will fall apart soon enough. ;)

You're wrong. It's not collecting if someone isn't complaining about something :p

You're wrong. It's not collecting if someone isn't complaining about something :p

Certainly true and companies don't move if the customer doesn't forward complaints. On the other hand I personally think that the VF-171 is not as bad as this thread makes it and I'm a thousand times happier with a complex transformation that is more then flip out legs flip out arms flip up and turn head finished is your transformer (yay).

I also think that Bandai is hitting it out of the park with the Frontier line. Sure the distribution sucks (still good enough for us dirty gaijin ^_^) but other than that the toys are fantastic.

Finally got them all together. SAL took ages and I think I'll never, ever use it again.

lucky you got them.

mine is stuck at Frankfurt Airport customs since 4 days.

next time i probably use FedEx instead of EMS.

This photo looks like an art work of M.C. Escher !

Yeah, Duymon - do you have 3 VF-17's that you could have facing the other direction?

You know what you crazy multiple-buyers should do? Get a bunch of foam-core & make a 1/60 Guantanamo carrier!

Edited by Kelsain