Wow, I like that VF-30 - for the most part. The missile pack is a little clunky, but something new. I'm digging the new hip setup and the more angular look to the arms & legs. The head is neat, at first I thought it was just the -25F head. It looks more like a YF-19 wearing a 25F hat. Still pretty cool, though.

The only thing I really don't like is the way the V-stabs dangle in battroid. I feel the same about the YF-29. On the 25, they sort-of integrated with the swing-wing into one continuous piece. If they folded forward, or attached to the legs, they'd look better.

Edited by Kelsain

Have updated last weeks post with last nights Famitsu pics so they are all easily accessible in one place. The file upload system/gallery function has changed and I'm still working my head around it but in the meantime they are at the bottom of the original post:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37500&st=315

Hey are you trying to collect all the screens for this page? If so you missed three but I dont think you can use one since it is watermarked. I

I also have 16 of the screens you already have at a 1280x720 res where yours are 1024x576 if you want them. Just trying to help, I love this game already, really reminds me to go get that macross tattoo I want.

Awesome! Thanks for the offer. PM me and we'll work it out.

Based on the pics we've seen so far, the YF-30 seems a bit underarmed, especially compared with the YF-29.

There does not appear to be any hip/wingroot guns. Although there are two things that could possibly be guns in the battroid's lower torso (see notes on attached pics).

And no heavy beam cannon turret, unlike the YF-29.

No arm shield, although perhaps the vertical stabilizers (tail fins) are strengthened and act in conjunction with pin point barriers, like on the YF-21/VF-22? And as there is no arm shield, that means no storage for a PPB Knife, unless it is stored elsewhere, such as in the lower leg.

It looks like the large missile launcher pod has to be in the deployed position in fighter mode to fire missiles and even with strengthened Over-Technology materials, there is still going to be a speed limit at which it can safely deploy, which means no missiles if going too fast. Also, it would create a lot of drag in the firing position. To be honest, this missile pod seems extremely impractical for fighter mode.

Possibly some micro-missile ports on the lower legs (see notes on attached pics), but not sure. If not, that woulkd seem to be another step backwards from the YF-29.

Don't get more wrong, I love the look of the YF-30 in all three modes, especially fighter mode, but I'm just not liking that damn missile pod and the way it needs to deploy in fighter mode to fire.

Graham

post-11-0-96953100-1356063369_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-16105600-1356063387_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-80661100-1356063404_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-62917900-1356063420_thumb.jpg

I wonder if its role is almost purely an interceptor, not designed to dogfight------race out there in fighter mode, transform to battroid and let off a massive initial missile barrage---and it's presumed that'll be enough. Mainly to take out a single high-value target early in the fight, rather than engage many grunts in a protracted battle.

Or another way---think of it like a submarine. They don't go out and engage directly, nor often. But when they do---it's usually a heck of a strike against something that is normally hard to go after.

A very limited, specific, but effective role. (or Kawamori can just say it can deploy the launcher in .010 secs at Mach 18, and all this is moot)

Based on the pics we've seen so far, the YF-30 seems a bit underarmed, especially compared with the YF-29.

I'd say that the YF-29 is overarmed... not sure about the specifications for the YF-29A (or B) that appeared in the game, but the descriptions of the one in the movie pretty much state that it's extremely expensive/difficult to create and is pretty much a one off (that's specifically in reference to the high-purity fold quartz and the gee-whiz fold wave special powers it has).

There does not appear to be any hip/wingroot guns. Although there are two things that could possibly be guns in the battroid's lower torso (see notes on attached pics).

Interesting. As a derivative of the YF-24 Evolution, one would think they would've kept the hip guns... though chest guns... intriguing.

I'm glad that they're moving away from that... though, it's replacement missile launcher is also disagreeable.

No arm shield,

It looks like the underarms are extended - perhaps they can be considered built-in shields?

To be honest, this missile pod seems extremely impractical for fighter mode.

Fully agreed. Even the over-the-top VF-1 FAST packs look aerodynamic and sturdy in comparison. Air friction concerns aside, how does that dinky ball joint even hold the launcher up?

Possibly some micro-missile ports on the lower legs (see notes on attached pics), but not sure. If not, that woulkd seem to be another step backwards from the YF-29.

I would say that it's a step forward. With the pre-YF-24 VFs, the trend was for internal missiles launchers, generally located around the engine nacelle. The VF-27 continued that trend (albeit in the secondary engine nacelles). I would take it as a sign that engine technology has further improved and there's an apparent micronization of the engine components for equal or greater output.

Of course... in-universe, the engines of the YF-24/VF-25/VF-27/YF-29 could've been perceived as too powerful, and the engines could have a reduced performance, thus freeing up space in the engine nacelle...

That fighter looks awesome but anybody else getting tired of the same looking battroid transformation on valks? This one, like all the others, has those little distinguishing extras that make it unique and I guess they follow a inworld design evolution… but those HUGE wing backpacks that Kawamory likes so much lately look more toyetic that practical. With the advancements in tech, those wings should fold on themselves or something else to hide them. In a real atmosphere, those things flapping around in battroid should create a lot of wind resistance, no?

Anyways, nice game Gian :D

My turn:post-2996-0-61264800-1356113496_thumb.jpg

Other than it looking kind of silly how is having that missile launcher mounted on the back any different from a dish like on any of the Elintseeker models?

Missile launchers are heavy (forget about the servos, waldos and hydraulics of the launch mechanism, missiles are heavy!). RADOMES have been around for years... on real planes.

Or, let's put it this way: how many real-world aircraft have you seen with a big 2x4 on the roof?

It does seem a bit underarmed, especially when the HBCT on the YF-29 is so damn powerful. As far as we know, this missilepod only fires normal missiles, not special ammunition of any kind.

No arm shield, although perhaps the vertical stabilizers (tail fins) are strengthened and act in conjunction with pin point barriers, like on the YF-21/VF-22? And as there is no arm shield, that means no storage for a PPB Knife, unless it is stored elsewhere, such as in the lower leg.

Yeah, the lack of a PPB shield is a bit disturbing, but maybe it isstored somewhere else.

It looks like the large missile launcher pod has to be in the deployed position in fighter mode to fire missiles and even with strengthened Over-Technology materials, there is still going to be a speed limit at which it can safely deploy, which means no missiles if going too fast. Also, it would create a lot of drag in the firing position. To be honest, this missile pod seems extremely impractical for fighter mode.

Don't get more wrong, I love the look of the YF-30 in all three modes, especially fighter mode, but I'm just not liking that damn missile pod and the way it needs to deploy in fighter mode to fire.

I feel that it would have at least been a little more practical if the missilepod remained vertical instead of horizontal in all modes when deployed. Sure it would have had a wide firing angle in Battroid (the missiles would have to travel out some distance before curving in front of the variable fighter to avoid hitting itself), but it would look better than it being horizontal.

On other websites, we've been discussing the possibility of the YF-30 having different specifications in-game (YF-30A, YF-30B) where the pod is a single barrel heavy beam cannon turret, or some other kind of weaponry. Either that, or instead of packs we get to switch the ordinance around. I like the YF-30 too, but this makes the most sense to me (I hope its true). All in all, it begs the question: Why would a variable fighter use a missilepod of such awkward size and shape if they already use internal pallet micro-missiles and extra ones store in option packs (if they have one) as well?

Missile launchers are heavy (forget about the servos, waldos and hydraulics of the launch mechanism, missiles are heavy!). RADOMES have been around for years... on real planes.

Or, let's put it this way: how many real-world aircraft have you seen with a big 2x4 on the roof?

I haven't seen any that can transform either...

Yeah, the lack of a PPB shield is a bit disturbing, but maybe it isstored somewhere else.

Careful. Lack of arm shield doesn't mean lack of PPB.

I feel that it would have at least been a little more practical if the missilepod remained vertical instead of horizontal in all modes when deployed. Sure it would have had a wide firing angle in Battroid (the missiles would have to travel out some distance before curving in front of the variable fighter to avoid hitting itself), but it would look better than it being horizontal.

There are precedents for this in Macross: the Kwadorun series and the Ghost X-9 and it's derivatives.

I haven't seen any that can transform either...

In other words - radomes are intrinsically light. Transformation is something that one can suspend one's belief over (all the more so if there are little to no aerodynamic concerns - they are big kites after all).

I must be one of the few that thinks this missile pod is both practical and awesome looking. Think about an F-22, it's designed to engage (multiple) targets at extreme ranges, where it doesn't need to fire during some high-g maneuver or taveling at max speed. Why is it so hard to imagine a fictional transforming jet that can have some deployable missile rack for heavy hitting when the time is right? Given how fast the modern valks (VF-25 and up) can transform it's not too far fetched to think that missile rack can pop out real fast, release a barrage of missiles, and retract again within a few seconds. Also similar to an F-22. Personally I'm stoked, it looks great. Plus the idea of wing mounted weapons on aircraft as advanced as these is just silly, glad to see them thinking out of the box and not phoning in this design.

As for it being under-equipped, it's a hero mech. Even if it only had a gunpod they would be sure to make it uber powerful. Gundam 0080 comes to mind. Even though the Kampfer was clearly superior and took out an entire squad of MS's, they gave the NT-1 Gundam an easy win simply because it was the hero mech. I'm sure the VF-30 will get similar favoritism from the developers.

Careful. Lack of arm shield doesn't mean lack of PPB.

I didn't mean to imply a lack of PPB, just the fact that it doesn't have an arm mounted PPB shield, which has been common in most variable fighters. Especially the YF-24 (and its family) that the YF-30 is probably based off of.

There are precedents for this in Macross: the Kwadorun series and the Ghost X-9 and it's derivatives.

I think you might have misunderstood. I didn't mean that I wanted the missiles themselves to be launched vertically, but that the pod itself should have been mounted dorsally so that it always stayed just above what would be the fighter's spine, instead of the swiveling hinge. I meant that I thought the YF-30's missilepod should stay straight on with the dorsal line of the fighter instead of turning sideways like it does. It could still deploy on it swiveling hinge (though I feel that it doesn't need to be, being a missile launcher), but I felt the default position should be with the head of it facing forward instead of sideways (to lessen air resistance among other things). I also feel that it would be cooler if it stayed aligned with the fighter's spine in Battroid. The missiles would come out of the sides of the launcher like that and the angle would be wide with the missiles having to go outward at first in order to avoid hitting the YF-30, but I feel like that would have been a better idea, instead of it being a horizontal bar in Battroid (I think ideal would have been vertical and lower down on the back).

I also feel that it was a missed opportunity for it to be both a missilepod and a beam cannon turret. One end (or both) of the pod could have had a beam cannon barrel. But once again, I feel this is the part of me that was spoiled by the YF-29 speaking. Don't get me wrong, I love the new design. I just thought these few changes could have made it even cooler. Just my two cents.

I have a question regarding the song used in all these videos. Is this May'n singing it or someone else because I like it <catchy j-pop song fanXD> and hope that they will release it on CD.

Yeah, its Haruka Chigusa, the winner of the Miss Macross 30 singing competition. The song's called Planet's Cradle I believe.

I'm actually very interested to see that the song wasn't composed by Yoko Kanno, since she's responsible for a good number of the catchy tunes from the previous series. Maybe she was busy?

Edited by TyrValein

I wonder if its role is almost purely an interceptor, not designed to dogfight------race out there in fighter mode, transform to battroid and let off a massive initial missile barrage---and it's presumed that'll be enough. Mainly to take out a single high-value target early in the fight, rather than engage many grunts in a protracted battle.

I would think the NUNS Spacy would've learned from the problems the F-4 faced when they introduced it into the early stages of the Vietnam War. Placing too much emphasis on missle combat is not a good thing.