All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Well if we're going into the very FIRST console we've owned, I am proud to say that my ColecoVision served me well through my olde gaming times of yore. On a black and white TV no less. That thing had the funkiest controllers I've ever encountered; stubby joystick, huge rectangular base, and a big ol' keypad that I never used.

My very first console was an Atari 2600 (black 4-switch version), which my parents bought in 1984. I had less than 10 games on that console before it conked out.

But my all-time favorite back in the '80s was the Commodore 64. Back in the day, Electronic Arts had sweet "album cover" packaging for their games, and I spent a chunk of my allowance on Skyfox and Skyfox II: The Cygnus Conflict. Good times.

First console was the ol wood console 2600. Was a hand me down from my bro. I didn't learn controller abuse until the Nintendo. Even got so mad at it once I threw it out of a second story window. I ending up just picking it out the bush and hooking it back up.

I thought this discussion was just SNES vs Genesis, but if we're talking first console, mine was a Magnavox Odyssey². I was very young at the time, so I don't remember it super well. Mostly I remember playing a lot of Attack of the Timelord.

oh yeah? how bout an apple 2e? anyone remember karatica?

No... but I remember Odell Lake.

Computer wise, and I guess gaming-wise post Odyssey and pre-NES, we had both a Commodore 64 and an Atari 800XL. I'm not sure which we got first, and which games we played on which device, because they really blurred together for me, and IIRC they used the same joysticks and both played games off of floppies or some other non-cartridge format. In fact, the only game I remember for sure being for the Atari was "David's Midnight Magic," a pinball game, because it was the only game we had that plugged into the 800XL's cartridge slot.

If I was pressed, though... I think Jumpman Jr. was for the Commodore. I loved that game.

I remember wanting to buy a Sega CD2 as an add-on to my Megadrive II in the mid 90's (yeah, I'm a late adopter), but the price was much more than I was willing to pay for. A few years down the road, the Playstation was released, and I totally forgot about the CD.

I too remember drooling over screenshots of the Sega CD in gaming mags, and how badly I wanted to play Sonic CD from the screenshots revealed then. I saw the shots of Sonic and Metal Sonic in the animated highway chase sequence. Something I wouldn't be able to do till many years later.