The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I plan to buy the best version of each mold or so, and have a Frankenstein combiner.

I do however, have high hopes for Computron and Bruticus---I may actually complete them. (especially as I don't really like any 3P version of those 2 yet)

I'm trying to think of who will be repainted to be used with torso-Cyclonus. I think Skydive/AirRaid as Dreadwind/Darkwing are obvious and perfect---so Hasbro probably won't do that. :p

Had a thought for Fireflight as Dirge---as ROTF Dirge was a Harrier. (can't think of any other link/use for that mold as a Decepticon)

I wouldn't mind getting the Combiner Wars guys, but I've yet to see any in stores.

I gave up hunting for them and actually ended up finding them cheaper at HTS than if I went to the store, and free shipping to boot. My Superion is currently limbless, however, waiting for the first 4 deluxes to arrive.

I gave up hunting for them and actually ended up finding them cheaper at HTS than if I went to the store, and free shipping to boot. My Superion is currently limbless, however, waiting for the first 4 deluxes to arrive.

I kind of quit collecting Transformers last year, so I doubt I'll buy them online. It's just one of those things that if I saw some at the store I might buy a couple.

Combiner news:

While my friend had no new Deluxes to report, the Voyager listings tell us pretty much what we'll be getting next. After Protectobot Hot Spot (63050929832), Cyclonus (63050929833), and Optimus Maximus (63050932502), we will receive:

-Scattershot (63050936922)

-Onslaught (63050936923)

Welp, my finger is moving toward the panic button.

I have been lurking in the mp-22 threads at tfw2005. One post in particular is troubling me.

Does your mp-22 have stress marks on the blue waist piece?

Those of you who are familiar with mp-22 know that there is a small blue hinge connecting the waist. This hinge flips back and forth to move a panel for robot mode and truck mode. It appears that it can also be a point of failure on this figure. A number of people are already seeing stress marks on this piece at tfw2005, and one person was unlucky enough to have the piece break after transforming Ultra Magnus a number of times.

Here's the post from the mp-22 thread showing the break:

Fragile mp-22

I'm not sure what to think, which is why I'm hesitating with the panic. Stuff like would certainly annoy me if I fell victim to it, and enough people have stress marks on that piece to make me wonder why it was plastic to begin with, but will that break become a common defect? Time will tell if mp-22 will have me raising my fist and yelling, "Takara!"

I finally found a few Combiners Wars toys at Walmart. I promptly bought them all... which means I cane home with Fireflight (er... Firefly now?), Skydive, and Dragstrip. Be nice to find another limb and a torso. I could at least stuff them together as a frankenbiner.

It would be fun to hunt down Devy's pieces if the Constructicons were sold individually just like back in the day.

Sure if the stores were stocked like back then it would be fun but these days it would be a nightmare. I'm sure one of the six would be harder to find than the others and the scalpers would make a killing.

Sure if the stores were stocked like back then it would be fun but these days it would be a nightmare. I'm sure one of the six would be harder to find than the others and the scalpers would make a killing.

G2 teams were very difficult to complete---I had to have my aunt buy me Onslaught from Arizona. I checked every place in town for MONTHS looking for him, despite having all 4 limbs.

Energon teams---I saw Blight ONCE. Blackout ONCE.

Current distribution would suck for a combiner team.

So, some musings on CW Dragstrip...

The back of the box proudly proclaims that it can be transformed in just 9 steps. I didn't count, but yeah, I don't even know why they bothered with instructions, it's super easy.

Despite its simplicity, he's actually not too bad. Solid race car mode, posable bot mode. His head, hips, and shoulders are on ball joints. Biceps and thighs have 360 degrees of rotation. His knees bend 90 degrees, and his elbows a little more than that. His wrists can bend inward due to his transformation, but otherwise there's no wrist or ankle articulation. Size-wise, he's probably still a little smaller than some of the Deluxes of the past, being slightly taller than stealth bomber Deluxe CHUG Megatron but a little shorter than Peg (I mean Drift). Unlike more recent Deluxes, though, he doesn't seem to have as much of the "we carved out huge sections to save on plastic". A little on the insides of this thighs, and a bit more on his forearms, but that's almost a function of his transformation.

No, my gripes with Dragstrip are actually less about quality and more about how very little it resembles Dragstrip. The purple part of his head looks almost upside-down, and his face is either mouthless or it's open and painted the same blue as the rest of his face, take your pick. Then there's the gratuitous use of purple... I don't know if Hasbro thought too much yellow is boring, but I'm seriously tempted to repaint his thighs and upper arms. Lastly, there's the fact that his chest is dominated by the combiner port while the car seat is on the back, even though I'm thinking it'd have been just as easy to make him so the seat was his chest.

Oh yeah, as limbs go, he makes a decent leg. He's nice and solid, but he's got a little car kibble. He's a little iffier as an arm, though, mostly because his own arms don't really peg into anything in arm mode.

Welp, my finger is moving toward the panic button.

I have been lurking in the mp-22 threads at tfw2005. One post in particular is troubling me.

Does your mp-22 have stress marks on the blue waist piece?

Those of you who are familiar with mp-22 know that there is a small blue hinge connecting the waist. This hinge flips back and forth to move a panel for robot mode and truck mode. It appears that it can also be a point of failure on this figure. A number of people are already seeing stress marks on this piece at tfw2005, and one person was unlucky enough to have the piece break after transforming Ultra Magnus a number of times.

Here's the post from the mp-22 thread showing the break:

Fragile mp-22

I'm not sure what to think, which is why I'm hesitating with the panic. Stuff like would certainly annoy me if I fell victim to it, and enough people have stress marks on that piece to make me wonder why it was plastic to begin with, but will that break become a common defect? Time will tell if mp-22 will have me raising my fist and yelling, "Takara!"

No stress mark on mine and i've transformered it several times already. That guy over at TFW2005 must've missed transformed and cause that piece to break. If you transform it carefully, that piece swing smoothly, it's not too tight and it's not too loose either. He must've tried forcing that piece upward before lifting the chest part up (the matrix chamber).

CW Dragstrip seems to be the best of wave 1 IMHO, limb-wise. And he is a better leg than arm, despite historically being an arm. Get a Gundam/Pigma Micron pen and finish outlining his visor in black---Hasbro's attempt is actually pretty good all things considered----but each individual figure varies and none are perfect---doing it yourself is easy, and it looks much better when fully opaque and consistent.

I'm thinking at least a few color choices/moldings are mainly for a future Mirage etc repaint. Why are his thighs molded in yellow, and 100% painted maroon? And conversely, the entire bottom-rear of the car, is molded in maroon and like 90% covered in yellow paint. Molding those two things in the opposite colors would have improved his appearance. (as yellow paint is never opaque and never matches---unless it's many coats of automotive-grade paint over quality primer----not 1 quick spray of cheap toy paint over raw plastic)

CW Dragstrip seems to be the best of wave 1 IMHO, limb-wise. And he is a better leg than arm, despite historically being an arm.

I'm going to agree on both counts, with the caveat that I haven't found Alpha Bravo to compare with.

I'm thinking at least a few color choices/moldings are mainly for a future Mirage etc repaint.

That'd be interesting, and I could see it from the way the nose folds over the seat. Might be a tad chunky, though.

Speaking of chunky, I played with the jets today. Compared to Dragstrip, I think that Fireflight and Skydive are both more instantly recognizable, although they have a few odd color choices as well. As robots, they're similarly posable compared to Dragstrip, although their arms have the clearly cut-out "no plastic for you!" thing going on.

As jets... well, aside from the super obvious robot arms, they do an admirable job of folding in such a way so as not to have too much robot kibble. The result is still a pair of very junky jets with stumpy wings, though. If you want cool transforming jets, these are not the toys for you. If you don't mind inexpensive choro-q style jets that turn into robots and can combine to form a bigger robot, then ok.

Speaking of the bigger robot... I'm noticing a theme here. Making a leg is really about moving the noses and the combiner ports up... so they're all pretty solid as legs, in the sense that they are bricks with accessories for feet and a thing on top to connect to an upper leg. In this, Dragstrip is slightly better because his own arms aren't visible. And as arms, they all use the hips for an elbow, which means the elbows are always going to be a pair of thighs. Also as arms, none of them seem to have a place for their own arms. Skydive is probably the best here; his arms are clearly visible in arm mode, but at least they peg onto his wings so he's fairly solid. Fireflight's arms don't peg into anything, but the way they're folded over his back tucks his hands behind his wings. Dragstrip is the absolute worst, though. Not only do his arms not peg into anything, they're basically just laying on top of his torso.