The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

The problem i feel with that is you don't actually know Hot Rod's size. He's never on the same screen at least in a good shot with the older bots just the newer guys. So we really don't know how tall he is other than he's Prime size as Rodimus. While he should be shorter than Prime I don't know if he is as short as Prowl and Sideswipe.

IMO, Hot Rod is a lost cause as far as scale is concerned--in fact, TF's in general seem to change in scale according to the needs to the episode all the time. The animators just never concerned themselves with scale, ever. I've seen vidcaps of Trailbreaker sitting inside a fricking station wagon.

Man, now I wish Tak-Tom would shink Hot Rod down to scale with MP Prowl and release it as MP Hot Rod, with the correct Hot Rod colors.

That's my dream! ^_^

I would dig that!

Hearing the lamborghini bots are about to become scarce I went ahead and got red alert while the price is still worth it. At least my autobot teams is finally building as they were heavily out numbered by the MP decepticons (mostly due to the seeker variations) and soon not-Shockwave.

So... Year of the Snake Omega Supreme arrived today. No word on Optimus, but hey.

Not a ton to say. I dig the new head mold, although I never had a problem with the old Energon head and it would have been cool if they kept him a headmaster. His new right arm, while I suppose not as crane-esque as the Energon version, is a huge improvement (I just imagine it's a big gun in train mode). His new paint job looks great, too, and puts him right at home with my other Classics. Oh, and he's huge!

That said, he's still an Energon-era toy. His transformation is ridiculously simple, and it's pretty obvious that his train mode is half of his body on its side with the leg turned. I'm not going to complain too much, though, because his battleship mode is kind of awesome, evocative of some of the ships from U.C. Gundam. Oh, and who's going to display him in alt mode, seriously?

Got Red Alert who it seems has a better paint job than Sideswipe but over all love it and glad I picked him up when I was on the fence about him for so long. Now if only I could snag a MP-11 SS who is getting hard and more expensive to find.

Year of the Snake Optimus came today. He's not as exciting as Omega Supreme. I realize that he's a toy from another, simpler time in Transformers toys, but still...

His alt mode is pretty crappy. His trailer is kind of oddly shaped, about as long as as tall as MP-10's, but shaped in a way that it looks like a shorter, taller trailer tipped to the side. The cab has an antenna that is out of place, has what is obviously the back of Prime's head sticking out of the top, and has Prime's forearms just hanging in the back... they don't even peg into anything!

His bot mode is worse. Almost none of the cab's mass is anything but torso, giving him a bloated middle with small lower legs and feet and stumpy arms. The antenna is even more out of place without Prime's shoulders filling in the space underneath. Adding to his girth is the fact that his lower legs, rather than forming the back of the truck, actually tuck under the back of the truck, so in bot mode that part of the truck folds up onto his butt, further bloating his torso when you get the sense that the mass would have been much better on his lower legs. He's got some articulation, but poses are still limited by his enormous gut and the fact that his legs/feet can't rotate so his toes point more outward.

His trailer gets kinda cooler, though. It tips over, and some doors and hatches open up to reveal four drones. They're actually kinda cool. There's a fire truck with an extending ladder and a turret on the front, a helicopter with a fold out tail and spinning rotors, a sort of drilling machine with a drill that spins as you roll it along, and a submarine that... doesn't do anything.

As was the case for all of the Unicron Trilogy Primes, he's got a super mode that almost redeems the toy. Unlike Armada and Cybertron, where the whole trailer becomes part of the super mode, this Prime's super mode comes from turning his drones into limbs, and flipping the antenna up to make a helmet. Like a Scramble City combiner, any drone can become any limb. I sort of get the impression that, given the order of the drones, that the fire truck and helicopter are his default arms. They're the only two that have regular, fingered hands in arm mode. The drill just has the drill in place of a hand, and the sub has kind of a funky claw. Honestly, though, I like the claw hand, and I like that the copter's rotor is fixed when it's a leg. His proportions are a lot better in super mode, and he's got pretty decent poseability. Again, I wish his legs could turn so his toes point outward, but all the drones in arm mode can bend at the elbow and rotate the forearm. His helmet looks dumb, though, being attached this his back. His transformation also calls for him to open his chest up, but I think he looks fine with it closed.

He's got one more gimmick, which is the reason I bought him. He can combine with Year of the Snake (or Energon) Omega Supreme. Unfortunately, this mode is pretty lame. His trailer's still not involved, just sort of sitting off to the side. His drones connect to special ports on Omega's legs, right arm, and right shoulder. On his arms and legs, they just add bulk without function. On his shoulder, the drone does sort of look like a shoulder-mounted weapon. Unfortunately, to accommodate Prime's head, Omega's head drops into a plate that flips out to that side. The plate is supposed to look like a missile launcher, which is cool, except Omega's head only goes down maybe a third of the way. I gather this might not have been an issue on the original toy, since the original toy's head was removable, but on Year of the Snake Omega his head bumps into the drone and keeps the missile launcher from getting completely vertical. Adding insult, Prime fits inside of Omega almost entirely in truck mode. To fit, doors on Omega's back have to be opened so that the entire back half of the truck can stick out. From the front it's not really noticeable, but from the back it looks like a truck crashed and got stuck in Omega's back.

All-in-all, I recommend Year of the Snake Omega Supreme, but I'd advise a pass on YotS Optimus Prime.

Got Red Alert who it seems has a better paint job than Sideswipe but over all love it and glad I picked him up when I was on the fence about him for so long. Now if only I could snag a MP-11 SS who is getting hard and more expensive to find.

Who has RA still in stock?

Toy Arena, though I got him through their Ebay store. They can at times be a bit pricey but they are always awesome and shipping is extremely fast. Usually I order on friday and have it Monday if i do expedited or wednesday normally.

Edited by kanedaestes

Nice pics of the alternators. I nearly forgot i have most of them :( Even the alternity [sp?] Optimus GTr in silver, which is another scale for some mysterious reason. I can't wait for Bliztwing for some reason. I wish it looked better, but it is decent. Any news on those releases?

Nice pics of the alternators. I nearly forgot i have most of them :( Even the alternity [sp?] Optimus GTr in silver, which is another scale for some mysterious reason. I can't wait for Bliztwing for some reason. I wish it looked better, but it is decent. Any news on those releases?

Nothing new, although BBTS has the Takara pre-orders for the triple changers scheduled for August.

I read news that the G1-ish shoulder launchers for MP Prowl and Bluestreak are exclusives for Amazon JP preorders. And you only get one per MP. What a crock, those launchers should've been included to begin with. I was afraid something like that would happen, because those empty looking pipes the regular releases have just looked off to me.

Those are the alternators, yes?

Very pretty toys, but I dislike the uniformity of their transformation. Do Car-bots ALWAYS have to have the arms fold into the front tires and the legs fold up into the back?

I think Sunstreaker/Sideswipe does the opposite and fold (rather, hide) their arms into the trunk.

The limbs was one example that bugs me. The other is the hood becoming the chest and the roof ending up on the back. That's a format that follows almost all the car-bots through most of the toy lines.

That's part of the reason I really like the new RiD car Vehicon. His transformation is so unique and different from the mould :)

saw these at the local tarjey yesterday and thought might as well grab 'em:

*pic*

Really think they're overpriced at $9.99 each set, but I they're retail-rare enough for me and it completes my Blaster minions.

They're also kinda cute. :D

Hmm...

I might pick up Eject & Ramhorn, but I'll pass on Rewind and Sunder.

Edited by mikeszekely

Here's a question out of left field:

If, hypothetically, one were to attempt to make a custom TF using a model kit and the existing mechanism/hinges/basic transformation from an available toy; which transformer would be a good candidate?

I know it's a foolhardy enterprise, and it may only be possible to create a shell-former...but it's a project I'm interesting in attempting.

It would be about 5-6" long, and quite narrow. Although it would be an aircraft, the shape is more like a torpedo.

Any doner TF suggestions, or any advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Assuming all goes well with the mail, I'll have a few 1/48 Firebees to play with soon, and I think that's a great vehicle for a transformer.

Here's a question out of left field:

If, hypothetically, one were to attempt to make a custom TF using a model kit and the existing mechanism/hinges/basic transformation from an available toy; which transformer would be a good candidate?

I know it's a foolhardy enterprise, and it may only be possible to create a shell-former...but it's a project I'm interesting in attempting.

It would be about 5-6" long, and quite narrow. Although it would be an aircraft, the shape is more like a torpedo.

Any doner TF suggestions, or any advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Assuming all goes well with the mail, I'll have a few 1/48 Firebees to play with soon, and I think that's a great vehicle for a transformer.

A Firebee? The target drone? My first thought would be using the skeleton from a Prime Soundwave, maybe even Prime Starscream as they both have really slim alt modes.

I was showing my kid masterpiece soundwave. He thought the bot mode was really cool. Then we transformed soundwave and my kid asks, "He transforms into a box?"

I felt so, so, so very old.

That's so awesome, and exactly how I feel whenever my son sees my collection. I get the teenager "I pity the old dude" look, the same as I gave my folks when I was his age.

-b.