DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

Get in contact with Fedex or Nippon-Yasan, and see what changes they can do to clear it. Maybe they can fax and email them another Commercial Invoice with the higher amount.

Key words to use on the Commodity Description is REDUCED-SCALE MODEL OR TOYS. And since N-Y said it's worth 2000 yen. just tell them to make one for 20,000 yen. It'll be like they forgot 0.

But on the USPS side, I just received my EMS VF-25s from Anime-export, Shipped on 12/01/14 , received today 12/04/14 at 10:49am. Love SF Customs.

Thankfully the item is on route. I sent the original invoice in pdf form to FedEx. Also Nippon Yasan contacted me and informed that by default all the item they ship will have lower value to save us from custom tax. Original price can be quoted by them on the box by filling in the instruction box when the item is paid.

Got my VF-25S in today courtesy of CD Japan! Was shipped via RSAL on November 21st, not bad at all for the holiday season. By cheaping out on shipping, and thanks to the awesome conversion rates, I ended up paying less for the 25S than I did for my VF-25A! Sooo happy to finally have this guy in-hand.

A huge, huge thank you to pikashoo for the heads up on the CD Japan preorder way back when!

post-197-0-75361200-1417902257_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-05032900-1417902283_thumb.jpg

Funny how we went from not being able to find a single one of these things (for a reasonable price), not even being able to place a friggin' preorder (sold out instantly) to "Anyone still want one?"

Good times. :)

I'd like to ask for a moment of silence... :( :( :(

I was transforming my reissue VF-25S back to Gerwalk/Fighter mode, and something broke...

Note: I am very careful when transforming but I am guessing there was probably a stress point I didn't notice when I first looked at it, that joint was extremely tight. :(

Warning the pic posted is not for the faint of heart.

VF25S_down_zps9aa51036.jpg

Edited by Saburo

I was transforming my reissue VF-25S back to Gerwalk/Fighter mode, and something broke...

Note: I am very careful when transforming but I am guessing there was probably a stress point I didn't notice when I first looked at it, that joint was extremely tight. :(

FAAAARRRRRRRRRRQQQQQQ!!! Dude Im so sorry to hear of this.. thats heart breaking stuff right there! :(

Sorry to hear that Saburo. That area can be prone to that issues as the hinge can be too tight. I got a VF-25S from someone as well where this has happened, but the piece have not snap off yet. Was really hard to get the back piece to bend back up that I had to dismantle and figure out what was causing it to not be able to move back up. Turns out the hinge was really tight.

my gosh. whatever you do, do not use any random super, glue esp this product :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System-681925/100371829

I was lucky to have been able to use it for a short while. Then the front plastic funnel started to melt because of the glue! (doesnt make sense because it was supposed to *contain* the glue from flowing out!)

pretty sure there are a lot of "plastics-glue" experts here (read it in some threads but cant remember). from what I read, for ABS plastic (if the renewal are ABS) its better to use acetone-based glue as it will melt the two surfaces for bonding.

Edited by aaajin

Thanks for the heads up and pics.

sigh, anyway to loosen the joints beforehand?

pretty sure there are a lot of "plastics-glue" experts here (read it in some threads but cant remember). from what I read, for ABS plastic (if the renewal are ABS) its better to use acetone-based glue as it will melt the two surfaces for bonding.

Yes, these toys are mostly ABS. The stuff to use is a solved based plastic weld (plastic cement) -- Methylene Chloride.

Edit: That's quite a break... hate to see stuff like this happen; it will never be unnoticeable once fixed, but it can be done satisfactorily if care is taken. I would suggest drilling a couple of holes to both pieces -- properly aligned, of course -- to add metal pins ( sewing pins are perfect) for added strength and stability. Drill, insert pins, push parts together, add weld with a brush to the break and let capillary action carry it in, increase pressure to join until excess plastic oozes out, maintain the parts pressed together until the weld cures (24 hours or more is best), scrape/cut the oozed plastic scar off, sand flush, polish to restore the surface... Done.

Edited by mechaninac

Thanks everyone. It was really frustrating when it broke, I was in the middle of photoshoot when it happened. I stopped and I just sat there pissed off staring at the break, then began disassembling it to get a better look at the break.

I have had a chance to calm down, assess the situation and work out a solution thanks to mechaninac and aaajin for the tips on the glue! :D I have plastic weld and will go with what you have suggested. I don't have the modelling skill to try and clean up the break, so I will keep this one permanently in fighter mode and put Super Parts on it to cover the break.

@Loop & @Valk-1S, that is pretty much what happened. When I was bending it down I noticed that hinge was bit tighter than the other, but got it to Battroid mode. When I was transforming it back it was even tighter almost frozen and that when it broke. :(

@F360, I would check those hinges before hand and slowly work them to a few times to loosen the hinge before doing a full transformation.

@Shukenzero, thankfully this was not my only copy. ^_^

I hope no one else encounters this. Here I was avoiding the VF-171 CF because of the breakage issues, and now I have a broken VF-25S... :(

Edited by Saburo

Guest davidwhangchoi

damn, glad you have another copy though.

your photos of breakage look better than my valks in person.

Well speaking of breaking stuff, the moving arm of the gun of my VF-25A just broke. The little C clip:

RWB6zDf.jpg

Is 90% broken off. I put tape on it to make sure it don't disappear until I get some ABS weld. That arm is always the tightest joint of the whole unit.

damn, glad you have another copy though.

your photos of breakage look better than my valks in person.

I think I would have been far more mad if it was my only copy, you would probably would have heard my scream where you are. :lol:

Haha... I was in the middle of taking pics when the break happened to why not take a nice but painful pic and share it with everyone here.

Ack! Saburo! Hope the fix plan goes well!

Thanks McFly!! I'll find out tomorrow, if my plan works out. I am sure it will but you just never know. :unsure:

Well speaking of breaking stuff, the moving arm of the gun of my VF-25A just broke. The little C clip:

RWB6zDf.jpg

Is 90% broken off. I put tape on it to make sure it don't disappear until I get some ABS weld. That arm is always the tightest joint of the whole unit.

I feel for you CF18, seeing another break. Hope you are able to repair it.

*snip*

Hey Saburo. Sorry to hear about what happened. :unsure: If ever, is this something easily can be fixed? To loose the hinge joint? Anyways, good thing you have an extra copy. Guess, I have to be extra careful on transforming mine once it arrives.

My Ozma is still in LA since Dec.1. And that's the last tracking update I have. And I live between SF and SJ airports. How many more days before it leaves LA, Mr.USPS people? :ph34r:

Well speaking of breaking stuff, the moving arm of the gun of my VF-25A just broke. The little C clip: *snip*

Hope you get to fix it soon, CF18. ;)

Hey Saburo. Sorry to hear about what happened. :unsure: If ever, is this something easily can be fixed? To loose the hinge joint? Anyways, good thing you have an extra copy. Guess, I have to be extra careful on transforming mine once it arrives.

My Ozma is still in LA since Dec.1. And that's the last tracking update I have. And I live between SF and SJ airports. How many more days before it leaves LA, Mr.USPS people? :ph34r:

Hope you get to fix it soon, CF18. ;)

Thank you no3ljm. Its nice to have MW support group here to help one from going insane. LOL I am sure there is a way to loosen the hinge, probably a plastic safe lubricant should help. I'll have to inspect that other copy I have. I hope yours arrives soon! :)

Oh no.....Sorry to see that happened, Saburo ..

Thanks ophio.

RWB6zDf.jpg

I am sorry for you, it happened to a few guys on the forum, including myself.

I made a replacement part of it on shapeways some time ago and recently updated it to match the new design rules from shapeways. They are now available again on Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1683524/macross-vf-25-gun-attachment.html

I made a replacement part of it on shapeways some time ago and recently updated it to match the new design rules from shapeways. They are now available again on Shapeways.

yeah, that one is pretty much normal. my 25A also has stress mark on the same spot

CF18, sorry to see that, but as xigfrid mentioned, it's happened before. Mine was on the 25F during its initial release. My VF-25A has a broken back section on the gunpod. Seems to be either a plastic issue or design flaw. The back of my gunpod's screw area was cracked, so I'm assuming plastic issue.

So sorry to see that happen Saburo!

Yeah, mine is really tight there too. But pretty loose at the shoulder ball joints.

Glad there's a plan of fix. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

Cool mine broke as well so i'm interested in getting this. How hard is it to take apart the gunpod? Anything to look out for so i don't break it?