should macross get a remake also

southpaw

Bloody 'ell, they weren't kidding!

A guy flying a Valkyrie with a guitar? energy "vampires"? Valkyries with tits?

"Attack? No way! My songs will work on them, too!"

Are they f'ing serious? :blink:

PASS...

Haha. Although I couldn't agree more with those sentiments, I think you should give it the benefit of the doubt and try watching it - simply because it is Macross. I watched the first 15 episodes and I couldn't get into it, but at least I can say I gave it a shot. You never know, you might actually enjoy it. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many on this forum who can't stand Macross II because they can't look past the "inadequacies" or what have ya. Yet, I really enjoy Macross II.

Back on topic, say we get a new series in addition to Macross being reanimated. Would it really bother any of you if Macross was reanimated like it is in the Pachinko intro, minus Haruhiko Mikimoto?

Haha. Although I couldn't agree more with those sentiments, I think you should give it the benefit of the doubt and try watching it - simply because it is Macross. I watched the first 15 episodes and I couldn't get into it, but at least I can say I gave it a shot. You never know, you might actually enjoy it. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many on this forum who can't stand Macross II because they can't look past the "inadequacies" or what have ya. Yet, I really enjoy Macross II.

Back on topic, say we get a new series in addition to Macross being reanimated. Would it really bother any of you if Macross was reanimated like it is in the Pachinko intro, minus Haruhiko Mikimoto?

Don't bother watching 7, I wish I could UNWATCH 7. Hikaru's scene with the flying bicycle was a dream sequenece, the nightmare with Nekki Basara is the entire show.

Edited by peter

As long as it's good quality work, I'd be okay with it. It's not like they'd tell fans the new series would replace the original. It would be just another interpretation of it like DYRL and Macross The First.

If it was done by completely different people working with total disregard to the original series, I'd have a problem.

Would it really bother any of you if Macross was reanimated like it is in the Pachinko intro, minus Haruhiko Mikimoto?

I would look at it the same way I look at the JJ Abrahms STAR TREK remake: I can enjoy both, but always have a special place for the original.

If it was done by completely different people working with total disregard to the original series, I'd have a problem.

If it followed the current trend of remakes and reboots, odds are pretty good that's exactly what would happen.

I know I'm probably the only one to think so; but I actually prefer the original opening animation to the Pachinko intro.

If it followed the current trend of remakes and reboots, odds are pretty good that's exactly what would happen.

I know I'm probably the only one to think so; but I actually prefer the original opening animation to the Pachinko intro.

You are not alone.

If you want to be technical, I know a certain Western company has been trying to do that for this for years, and at times they seemed to give the most important jobs to just anyone regardless of real talent. I'd put more trust in what the showrunners here think is a good idea. At least from their previous works, they will really commit to it.

Don't bother watching 7, I wish I could UNWATCH 7. Hikaru's scene with the flying bicycle was a dream sequenece, the nightmare with Nekki Basara is the entire show.

Hahahaha :D

My reaction to entirety of 7 was... "wtf."

But on topic, NO to this horrible trend of remakes.

You are not alone.

I prefer the original opening myself, BUT when it comes to the animation (minus Haruhiko Mikimoto) I very much prefer the Pachinko opening. I haven't seen either Yamato series (original or remake), but everything I've been reading about the remake has been nothing but positive. Personally, if they were to reanimate/remake SDF Macross, I'd prefer it if they kept the audio/story intact...just update the animation like they have in the Pachinko intro...and bring back Haruhiko Mikimoto for the characters. From everything else I've read, it seems the majority of you would prefer a new series over a remake...which is why I posed the question if they made both at the same time. Like others have mentioned, it's not like a remake would invalidate the original by any means.... SDF Macross could use some loving if you ask me (SDF Macross on Bluray is not enough :p)...updated animation would fit the bill in my opinion.

Never ceases to amaze me just how many haters we have around here.

Not me! :p Typically I find an equal number of haters for Mac ii... ;)

To be fair to M7, if you are able to muscle through the repetitive Victor Music merchandizing ,Basara's absence of any growth as a person, and blatantly recycled battle footage, you will enjoy some geniune character growth moments with Gamlin, Mylene and even Sivil.

Spliced within the 49 episodes is a pretty decent 24 episode story that delves into how the Galactic republic fell and the relationship between humanity, the Zentradi and the PC, a love triangle between two bad guys and Basara. An intersting dynamic with Max and Millia conflicted over their choice to separate and how it affects their firebrand of a teenage daughter. Even the music will grow on you , unfortunately for some, that happens after they STOP watching the show. The law of diminishing returns was not considered in the making of this series...

Meh, the idea of a remake just doesn't appeal to me. Do a side story, I say. True, the farmed-out animation left a lot to be desired in some instances, from a quality/errors standpoint. In fact, it's become a bit of a fun game for me, going back re-watching the original eps on crackle, looking for the errors, missed color-checks, etc. But the story is still da*ned good in spite of all that. It doesn't need to be re-told. Leave it alone.

Now, it would seem that there's a good amount of nostalgia for that particular era of the Macross universe though [space War I]. I still think a side story is the way to go. It'd allow the prospective creators [who I hope would also be fans] to give us Valkyries, Destroids, Queadluuns, Regulds, cucumbers in space--all the things we all know and love about SWI era Mac--by the bushelfull. It'd allow leeway to help flesh out that era, without the nigh impossible [for a lot of fans] expectation of telling the same story--only better.

Macross Zero just never managed to do that for me. While I liked the mechanical designs, they don't really "fit" for me--at least, not as something that's supposed to be from before SWI. I like the VF-0, but I've never been able to see that as the predecessor to the immortal VF-1 Valkyrie. It would be like trying to say the 599xx came before the 250 GTO....

You tellin' me this:

ferrari-599xx-photo-337231-s-429x262.jpg

came before this?

250gto_race3.jpg

No f'in way...

Edited by reddsun1

SDFM animation:

Yeah, even if something is more polished in the technical sense, it's hard to bottle that feeling of the original work being The First, the way it emerged and the way one experienced it. The animation for SDFM might not be up to code some of the time, but the sensation of it being what one experienced first in unbeatable. It's like Absolute Sandman, or re-releases of old Transformers toys. Things might be more polished, but it's just not the same.

I am also a Macross 7 hater. I mostly ignore it most of the time, but I'm not going to jump back through those hoops to vaguely hope I was completely wrong. Basara and the Protodevlin were grating, I couldn't suspend my disbelief as to the latter's backstory, and the older characters were screwed around with. I didn't dislike everybody, but I found no one interesting enough to pay for all of the rest. I understand what it was trying to do and be, and how it fits in with the rest of Macross' themes...but I don't care. :p

I like the VF-0, but I've never been able to see that as the predecessor to the immortal VF-1 Valkyrie.

it's bigger

has less advanced engines

less advanced cockpit barring the canopy display which is mostly done because the VF-1's Battroid main monitor is simply not possible even with the superior DYRL design.

has visible fuel tanks and extra stuff just so it can compete on the battlefield

but whatevs

Never ceases to amaze me just how many haters we have around here.

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with expressing (completely subjective) dislike of a part of an animation franchise. It's not like I'm forcing others to not watch it.

Ok I keep coming back to this treading, reading and thinking about it and here are thoughts. First as a story inside the macross universe there is nothing wrong with the original series even the animation, but I am not against a remake in a macross first way even some of minds behind the madness have somethings to change but only a remake as a primer to a new series not stand alone. Why only as a primer simple between macross zero, SDFM, and flashback 2012 five unbelieveable events happen but only as a back drop for a love story(there is absolutely nothing wrong with this but now that macross universe is set and people all over the love it, it's time to revisit the events and set everything up). Ok the five events: the crashing of ASS-1 we now know for a fact their is life out there, in macross zero that was a monolog for the open. Just WOW it only rated a monolog! Human history changed forever and it's a monolog. Second the unification wars again world under one flag changing event part monolog part OVA mixed in as back drop. Ok now for the third event the appearance and attack by zentron fleet thou covered better than the first two it only came from the eyes of the crew of SDFM. Ok the forth the near complete distruction of the human race then revitalization of said race with inclusion of the (turned) zetron/metron people (it could not have been easy by any means!). Now the last the fact that humanity learned that is was no longer safe to just stay in the sol system( somewhat covered in M7, macross plus, MF but no detail). Do not get me wrong the characters and the love storys are not the problem its what makes it macross but it time for some detail grit maybe some blood sweat and tears to flesh out this universe.

Ug no edit button yet sorry for spelling and grammar errors.

SDFM animation:

Yeah, even if something is more polished in the technical sense, it's hard to bottle that feeling of the original work being The First, the way it emerged and the way one experienced it. The animation for SDFM might not be up to code some of the time, but the sensation of it being what one experienced first in unbeatable. It's like Absolute Sandman, or re-releases of old Transformers toys. Things might be more polished, but it's just not the same.

I am also a Macross 7 hater. I mostly ignore it most of the time, but I'm not going to jump back through those hoops to vaguely hope I was completely wrong. Basara and the Protodevlin were grating, I couldn't suspend my disbelief as to the latter's backstory, and the older characters were screwed around with. I didn't dislike everybody, but I found no one interesting enough to pay for all of the rest. I understand what it was trying to do and be, and how it fits in with the rest of Macross' themes...but I don't care. :p

Hear hear! I've been enjoying going back watching Macross on crackle--gotten up to ep 19 so far. I can say: re-watching as an adult, I can appreciate this show on a whole different level; the characters, their personalities, their relationships and how they evolve. Man, this show was so far ahead of its time. It's arguably better than a whole lot of the sh*t they pass off as drama on network TV nowadays.

Edited by reddsun1

it's bigger

has less advanced engines

less advanced cockpit barring the canopy display which is mostly done because the VF-1's Battroid main monitor is simply not possible even with the superior DYRL design.

has visible fuel tanks and extra stuff just so it can compete on the battlefield

but whatevs

Valid points, indeed. I should note that I was speaking from an aesthetic point of view, not so much from the technical specs.

Valid points, indeed. I should note that I was speaking from an aesthetic point of view, not so much from the technical specs.

Sometimes while projects are still in development the product can look far more advanced/futuristic then final, streamlined production versions.

• 5 months later...

I had a thought as the Macross World FB page put up a nice shot of "Vermillion Squad"

Why have they never made a Macross side story? You know like Gundam has done(08th MS Team,0080,Etc) Set during the space war. We could see key battles from their perspective? I would love it.

A show focused on the mecha/jet fights would be cool? Maybe even about a squad of serious guys like Chirico from Votoms..

I saw in a fairly recent Mikimoto interview he's pushing for Macross The First to be animated.

Well that is more of a re-make really I guess. I want a new show that is set during that era but new characters and scenarios.

I had a thought as the Macross World FB page put up a nice shot of "Vermillion Squad"

Why have they never made a Macross side story? You know like Gundam has done(08th MS Team,0080,Etc) Set during the space war. We could see key battles from their perspective? I would love it.

A show focused on the mecha/jet fights would be cool? Maybe even about a squad of serious guys like Chirico from Votoms..

MacrossWorld has a Facebook Page? I bet those guys are putting up a lot of rare art at high wallpaper size resolution and a bunch of cool links and videos!

Sorry to burst your bubble but its a mis-translation. he says he is rearranging the events of the original tv series in the manga adaptation.

Not the only questionable translation either....

(artbook referred to as a 'pamphlet', Parts of sentences dropped, etc. - its still on par with the 'accuracy' of 90% of fansubs though, I suppose...)

After watching the magnificence that is Yamato 2199 (something that updates the designs without completely changing them, and stays true to the original story with just minor modifications) i'd be all for an update to SDFM.

Chris

After watching the magnificence that is Yamato 2199 (something that updates the designs without completely changing them, and stays true to the original story with just minor modifications) i'd be all for an update to SDFM.

Chris

That maybe so but even with the success and popularity of Yamato 2199 thus far, the production company I hear are still having trouble securing enough money to continue beyond what they done.

I can only imagine the uphill battle Macross will have in comparison.

That is looking ever more likely as sales of Macross First go up, and the smart money gets behind Mikimoto's push to animate.

In this age, easy money is what business wants, and a Macross First animation is pressing all the right buttons.

Me? I'd buy that for a dollar.