DX VF-25 version 2

ff95gj

I was fast reading the interview with Maeda san and everything became clear to me, before working in the DX line he was the lead designer of the model kit, so no wonder, every body here was talking about getting the model guy to do the DX, well finally it happened lol!

Well, that certainly explains a lot, thanks for telling us non Japanese speaking folks the jist of the interview.

-Kyp

Well, that certainly explains a lot, thanks for telling us non Japanese speaking folks the jist of the interview.

-Kyp

So, for those of you non Japanese speaking folks that haven't even heard about Google Translate, Yahoo! Babel Fish, etc. here you are some facts extracted from the interview:

Mr. Maeda is in charge of the Composite Ver KA, Robot Damashii(non SIDE MS), and Tamashii Macross lines. He was originally from Bandai's Hobby Division, where he worked on the 1/72 VF25F Messiah Alto Custom plamo. The topic for this interview? None other than the upcoming DX VF25 Renewal Version.

He said:

* Wanted a more accurate DX VF25 toy even 3 years ago(during the release of the 1st DX VF25 toys)

* Took fan input into consideration

* With supervision from designer Kawamori Shoji, sought out to make a "must have" Macross item

* Mentioned that next year is the Macross 30th Anniversary

* Went for a more realistic Fighter mode(mentions length and thickness of the randome in addition to replicating the distinct curve seen on the lineart/animation model)

* Thigh swivels incorporated so that the Gerwalk mode can replicate the "A" stance

* Likes Gerwalk mode the best

* Intake covers are removable

* Knife can now be stored in shield

* Strove to reduce gaps in Fighter mode

* Landing gear is now more "fighter-esque"

* DX VF25 Renewal Ver feels more solid than the 1st DX VF25's due to tighter connections

Ultimately Mr. Maeda conveys that once you handle the DX VF25F Messiah Renewal Version, you'll definitely feel the difference as it's the culmination of 3 years of lessons learned since the release of the original DX VF25F.

Oh, by the way, this was taken from http://www.toyark.com/news/macross-toy-news-51/t-maeda-of-tamashii-talks-dx-vf25-renewal-version-4564/ :p

So, for those of you non Japanese speaking folks that haven't even heard about Google Translate, Yahoo! Babel Fish, etc. here you are some facts extracted from the interview:

I'm well aware of all the above options, but in my experience, the translations tend to make little sense, and any information gained is basic at best.

-Kyp

That's pretty awesome, it does explain a lot about why the new version is so much closer to the kit (especially the way the ventral fins fold).

I am a little concerned they still are using the vertical pegs to lock the wings into the legs, instead of tabs like on the VF-27. But given the way the armor and such has to attach, those pegs might be the only thing that'd work for both armor and super packs.

That's pretty awesome, it does explain a lot about why the new version is so much closer to the kit (especially the way the ventral fins fold).

I am a little concerned they still are using the vertical pegs to lock the wings into the legs, instead of tabs like on the VF-27. But given the way the armor and such has to attach, those pegs might be the only thing that'd work for both armor and super packs.

I don't know where you hear that but if I was you I wouldn't be too concerned: Bandai is using tabs like on the VF-27 to lock the wings into the legs -even stronger, I'd say- and not the old VF-25 V.1 vertical pegs.

Look at these pictures:

post-12283-0-86377000-1312159015_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-18124700-1312159044_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-63130400-1312159066_thumb.jpg

Actually, now I'm really intrigued how those work. The pegs are definitely vertical, and not like the tabs on the VF-27... but I have no idea how those attach. The pegs aren't even submerged when the wings are down, so I have no idea how they are going to connect. Unless there's some complex moving piece in there to lock things together, it looks like the pegs are sitting to the side of the place they should be attaching.

Unless, the pegs are actually locking sideways into the leg, which it looks like it might be. I'm not too worried, but it does look a bit fragile.

What it really looks like though is they're leaving spaces to connect the super and armor packs ahead of time, which is always nice to see. :)

Actually, now I'm really intrigued how those work. The pegs are definitely vertical, and not like the tabs on the VF-27... but I have no idea how those attach. The pegs aren't even submerged when the wings are down, so I have no idea how they are going to connect. Unless there's some complex moving piece in there to lock things together, it looks like the pegs are sitting to the side of the place they should be attaching.

Unless, the pegs are actually locking sideways into the leg, which it looks like it might be. I'm not too worried, but it does look a bit fragile.

What it really looks like though is they're leaving spaces to connect the super and armor packs ahead of time, which is always nice to see. :)

yeah, they definitely swing out and locks the peg into the leg. A much nicer design and this means that the full armor version won't break the toy.

I wonder how the v.2 looks from the back. Whereas the line art shows the wings sort of coming out from the shoulder-ish area, the v.1 looked pretty ugly from the back because the backplate didn't sit high enough, making the wings look like they're coming out of the middle back.

I wonder how the v.2 looks from the back. Whereas the line art shows the wings sort of coming out from the shoulder-ish area, the v.1 looked pretty ugly from the back because the backplate didn't sit high enough, making the wings look like they're coming out of the middle back.

The wings will be coming out from the same place:

post-12283-0-08250300-1312311780_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-17936900-1312311831_thumb.jpg

Really? Don't quote me on this, but I was pretty sure that both the V.1, and now the V.2 are getting that part right. I was fairly sure that the wings portrude a little UNDER the shoulders? At least, IIRC, from episode 2, when Micheal turns around in his valk, it seems like the wings are fairly below the shoulder line....

Really? Don't quote me on this, but I was pretty sure that both the V.1, and now the V.2 are getting that part right. I was fairly sure that the wings portrude a little UNDER the shoulders? At least, IIRC, from episode 2, when Micheal turns around in his valk, it seems like the wings are fairly below the shoulder line....

No, you're right. The wings are supposed to come out of the middle of the back, not up high. The v.1 looked a little wonky because the back plate didn't fold down flat in battroid but the actual placement of the wings is, more or less, correct.

No, you're right. The wings are supposed to come out of the middle of the back, not up high. The v.1 looked a little wonky because the back plate didn't fold down flat in battroid but the actual placement of the wings is, more or less, correct.

This.

Hmm, you're right, the wings do come out the middle. Still, if you look at:

colorcode-vf25s.jpg

and compare it to the v.1, it almost looks like there's an extra hinge that makes the backplate sit a little higher up on the back.

Hmm, you're right, the wings do come out the middle. Still, if you look at:

colorcode-vf25s.jpg

and compare it to the v.1, it almost looks like there's an extra hinge that makes the backplate sit a little higher up on the back.

That could be more about the angle difference of the photos though. Compare the battroid mode front and rear views in the line art you posted.

since we're at it: in battroid mode, do the wings "slice" through the wingroot extensions (wing gloves?) like in the model or do they stop inside them, like the lineart aboce seems to suggest?

I personally prefer wings to "slice" through, hence are more tightly tucked inside, so the figure looks more compact at the back. The kit and the Robot Damashii versions do it like that.

This is weird... HLJ is showing the renewal version as "discontinued". Hope that's just a database gaff.

VF-25 Renewal at HLJ

LOL, I believe they did the same thing for both the yf-29 and vf-19 kai. But if you go now, you can see that both products are quite in stock and being sold by HLJ themselves. HLJ seems really quick to slap the "discontinued" tag on any slightly popular release :rolleyes:

Wow the nose looks so much better here, actually the overall proportions look so much better. Why October must you be so far away. Now lets see some protopics with the super/armor/tornado packs attached lol

Look at the glorious raised legs in Fighter Mode. UTSUKUSHII. :o

Hubba Hubba!

Man this looks beautiful, like David said, the legs look better than the model. I'm really looking forward to this!

Chris

Edited by Dobber