Jump to content

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV


Recommended Posts

Thanks @peter, a Cavaliers is sounding more like the way to go as it was never produced in 1/48. Luckily I have a bunch of Hasegawa 1/48 decals I can use. The question is what are the proper colors to use. As for a DX VF-1D, I'm hoping there will members here who went nuts on duplicates and I grab one of theirs, by release date I'll some extra spending cash by then. :D

Loving that Star Trek fleet, very nice. However I'll be keeping an eye on that VF-1J & Carrier deck kit! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne
Link to post
Share on other sites

Starfleet is still waiting for the Pledge/Futures to cure, so I decided to push myself and get started on the Valk.

IMG_20210326_214323.thumb.jpg.475b801936701268326d48e048d073c9.jpg

All coming back to me, lol!  Need to remove a lot of material from the cockpit so the nose will close.

IMG_20210326_214330.thumb.jpg.006ce0891bf0da8ad402d2cd6939b4c4.jpg

I remember this kit used to intimidate the hell out of me, but after building 4 Super/Strike kits in a row, it's not so scary anymore.

IMG_20210326_221444.thumb.jpg.f20f2a512f3935a8495f37ae0997dbec.jpg

I might build all three at the same time....we'll see.  The 1A is one of the kits I robbed of a 1A head for another fighter, so it may end up as a 1S.

IMG_20210326_221107.thumb.jpg.bb02c6cfa81652b8c88e70507870c023.jpg

Threw it on the carrier deck just to see what it would look like....and also motivate me to get cracking on it.  I'll have to explore options to expand the deck to accomodate another fighter or two.

Edited by peter
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

Looking good so far! Are you gonna build one of them gear up?

Lol, no, I think I'm done with gear up Hasegawa Valks.  I'm not very skilled and I found them to be a huge PITA to do them gear up so these will be the first Valks I build with the gears out.....who knows, maybe that will be even more difficult, lol!IMG_20200701_141034.jpg.4f6d3ab13ac7fd5fd0aa7873a7e6c236.thumb.jpg.e9386a9a2f9d66c8d9da7683065fee47.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying a new putty, so far I love it! Best I've tried. The little applicator tube is perfect for small areas. Final primer layer going down on engines today! Paint tomorrow... Maybe.. 

20210327_100530.jpg

20210327_112245.jpg

20210327_112234.jpg

20210327_112228.jpg

20210327_112149.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Trying a new putty, so far I love it! Best I've tried. The little applicator tube is perfect for small areas. Final primer layer going down on engines today! Paint tomorrow... Maybe.. 

20210327_100530.jpg

20210327_112245.jpg

20210327_112234.jpg

20210327_112228.jpg

20210327_112149.jpg

I want to try that putty as well, saw Model Chili use it.  That applicator looks way smarter than squeezing regular putty out, then struggle to get it in the right place then shape it before it dries out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to go Amazon. No local hobby shop.. well the one there is, which is a good hour round trip, didn't have it.  Under $8 with Prime shipping.   

I put a tiny bit on, immediately wiped away the access with a pointy small qtip and then let it dry for about 20 minutes. Hit with a light sand and good to go! Water clean up. I did rinse out and clean the white applicator very well so hopefully it will keep it clean inside. 

Edited by derex3592
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much an update, but a confession of temperament gone bad, and a wife who is an utter angel...

I came back to my Tomcat model after working a bit on the 1/537 Refit (waiting on primer to cure fully before buying flat white for it). Anyways, I started scrubbing the model to get some of the paint off...

...and the blasted nose section  (along with one half of the top fuselage)cracked off the plane:

492031441_topgunf14002.thumb.JPG.6114caa089e3c0057aef2601fa5e7612.JPG

...and my last bit of patience went with it as well.

I ended up flying into rage I hadn't experienced for the better part of 10 years. When I was done, this was the result:

184488750_topgunf14003.thumb.JPG.cee364b33833a17e6be9cf942699f303.JPG

I scraped up these bits along with the nose cone, and just put them in a bag and left them in the dumpster. My wife came in after I sat back down, and I was just a mess. I crossed a line internally that I very much don't ever want to, and failed a project due to being utterly incompetent.

She just gave me a hug and we sat there for a good half-hour.

That was Thursday afternoon.

I narrowly averted having a seizure, but ended up with a major headache, not to mention scaring my poor wife nearly to death(how she puts up with me is known only to the good Lord!). So, I slept in much of yesterday (got up occasionally to look at online) and again today until a little before noon ,and got some hydration into me. I made my way to my worktable/ computer, and sat down to something unexpected. '

The note: "Honey, I knew the model you were working on was giving you problems. I knew you had put a lot of work into it; I felt so bad for you for trying so hard and it ending that way. I don't blame you for getting upset over it. 

I hope this helps you feel better. Love, Meg. <3"

And this was under the note:

1853256845_topgunf14004.thumb.JPG.94434f5866cd7a60b24c28b0061e276f.JPG

*cue Top Gun Anthem*

I love my wife. :wub::wub::wub::wub: I honestly don't deserve her, especially after the fit I had.

Edited by pengbuzz
correction on day and time. TBI can mess with percption
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 6:04 PM, 505thAirborne said:

Finally found that crazy thing called "Free Time" and will finally get to finish my VF-19 Advance kit. 

Starting another VF-31A kit because hey, why not. B))

As for the 1/48 VF-1J, I bought this because I wanted to customize it as a VF-1D. Sadly my 1D resin kit appears damaged, the chest plate is warped with a crack and another part is missing... crap! I'll have to wait for a chance at a DX version then send it to @Lolicon for white landing gear:D So for now, I think I will paint this as either a Low-Vis Navy or perhaps a Cavaliers Squadron.  

To everyone else, your projects look awesome!!! 

 

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

Getting white landing gear on the DX is just a simple matter of masking and painting. :)

Seeing your level of work it should be cake for you. :good:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Not so much an update, but a confession of temperament gone bad, and a wife who is an utter angel...

I came back to my Tomcat model after working a bit on the 1/537 Refit (waiting on primer to cure fully before buying flat white for it). Anyways, I started scrubbing the model to get some of the paint off...

...and the blasted nose section  (along with one half of the top fuselage)cracked off the plane:

492031441_topgunf14002.thumb.JPG.6114caa089e3c0057aef2601fa5e7612.JPG

...and my last bit of patience went with it as well.

I ended up flying into rage I hadn't experienced for the better part of 10 years. When I was done, this was the result:

184488750_topgunf14003.thumb.JPG.cee364b33833a17e6be9cf942699f303.JPG

I scraped up these bits along with the nose cone, and just put them in a bag and left them in the dumpster. My wife came in after I sat back down, and I was just a mess. I crossed a line internally that I very much don't ever want to, and failed a project due to being utterly incompetent.

She just gave me a hug and we sat there for a good half-hour.

That was Thursday afternoon.

I narrowly averted having a seizure, but ended up with a major headache, not to mention scaring my poor wife nearly to death(how she puts up with me is known only to the good Lord!). So, I slept in much of yesterday (got up occasionally to look at online) and again today until a little before noon ,and got some hydration into me. I made my way to my worktable/ computer, and sat down to something unexpected. '

The note: "Honey, I knew the model you were working on was giving you problems. I knew you had put a lot of work into it; I felt so bad for you for trying so hard and it ending that way. I don't blame you for getting upset over it. 

I hope this helps you feel better. Love, Meg. <3"

And this was under the note:

1853256845_topgunf14004.thumb.JPG.94434f5866cd7a60b24c28b0061e276f.JPG

*cue Top Gun Anthem*

I love my wife. :wub::wub::wub::wub: I honestly don't deserve her, especially after the fit I had.

I felt a lot of frustration building Hasegawa 1/72 Valks, but I think I lowered my standards and I felt better about building them after.  I haven't attempted any real world aircraft in recent years, so building an F14 might stress me out too.

I've heard good things about the newer Revell kits, I hope you find some fun and enjoyment in this build.  I have an F14 waiting for me in my pile of kits to build too, so I'll post about it when I get to it.

IMG_20210324_190005.thumb.jpg.ebc52dc3afccb517e0a12f1103d873ae.jpg

This came for it the other day.  It's an older tooling and I've heard it's a nightmare to build, so let's see where it goes, lol!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

AMT 1/2500 scale Enterprise set done.

IMG_20210327_223437.thumb.jpg.47595c5ab8df479699f817bf825cdd43.jpg

Got two rattle cans of Tamiya Flat Clear on top of the Pledge and I'm calling it a day.  The other night, I had dreams about applying decals so I decided to walk away from this build despite leaving numerous mistakes.

Once again, I do not recommend this kit for noobs like me.  Still, despite a lot of frustration, I'm satisfied with the end result.  Bear in mind though, my standards are low, so even builders with a little experience will spot a lot of errors with my build.

Use hot water for the decals, the decals are prone to fragmenting if the decals are cold.

Final observations from a beginner's point of view:

NX-01

Probably the easiest of the set.  Nice crisp details, no fitment issues, minimal sanding and filling.  Decals went on like a breeze, but maybe because they were cut nice and small and did not have to conform over many odd shapes.

IMG_20210327_225204.thumb.jpg.646b39b563b7c7a018d7909ea02c18fd.jpg

IMG_20210327_225334.thumb.jpg.6790e3fb12cf0894b5a6898c47d2b203.jpg

 

TOS

Older tooling but thankfully no gridlines.  Do yourself a favour and sand off the windows and the pylon detail as the decals do not line up with these.

IMG_20210327_225411.thumb.jpg.1082f203f5ab6c84fc3c669d02245084.jpg

IMG_20210327_225431.thumb.jpg.084142e3e73bca817d0b11108e1ebf55.jpg

IMG_20210327_225448.thumb.jpg.1a2be9a1ba6de20e78b1cd24e264b0e8.jpg

 

Refit

I built my refit from the Cadet Series Motion Picture Set, but I would recommend using a dark primer to mask the trademark stamp on the inside of the saucer or you will see it if you hold a light behind it.

IMG_20210327_225703.thumb.jpg.3eb3bb33131ede2d86e117ef965a8b13.jpg

IMG_20210327_225709.thumb.jpg.4e3596d37026776f1dcba543bd645e5a.jpg

IMG_20210327_225709.thumb.jpg.4e3596d37026776f1dcba543bd645e5a.jpg

IMG_20210327_225806.thumb.jpg.af5b3f06089b457e07a337f242b013ff.jpg

 

Ent B

Do yourself a favour and sand off the gridlines.  Also, if you can, paint the blue chillers on the nacelles, as well as the darker gun metal detail if you can.  The nacelle decals do not want to "wrap around" as the instructions suggest.  They prefer to fragment and break into a million pieces.  Also, long lanky nacelles that may not line up correctly.  Ugly gaps and seam lines in the deflector dish area that I failed to fill.

IMG_20210327_225839.thumb.jpg.2a13950ba197926bf82672c49c02d9e2.jpg

IMG_20210327_225920.thumb.jpg.8ec4b8b5f64277ed6d01d7863e9e9f70.jpg

IMG_20210327_225952.thumb.jpg.b0a57682da19040d3c888fc2275d87e7.jpg

IMG_20210327_232600.thumb.jpg.144393c6eda6d92e4e680a6fb602a631.jpg

 

Ent C

Get your surgical gloves out, and have a bath of water ready to readjust the large saucer decals.  Making this one a smoothie would be difficult because the grid-lines come in direct contact with many details such as life boats and windows.  You might just have to live with the grid-lines but it makes decal application a nightmare.  Tons of Micro Sol or Mr Mark Softer for this one.

Nacelle upper decals are horrendous also, recommend lots of water to move them around in place, then it's tons of decal setter.  Cutting them up will not make it easier.  In my case, it made it worse.

IMG_20210327_230213.thumb.jpg.56c27172fba7d628033de1f90f69c09c.jpg

IMG_20210327_230237.thumb.jpg.2dae3d925761434fedb2537fe66a0c41.jpg

IMG_20210327_230245.thumb.jpg.27f00c90f1c017b28f57ee0caf92bd60.jpg

IMG_20210327_230334.thumb.jpg.68ae07c2fc9b0a3c669cc1158c31e224.jpg

 

Ent D

Sand off the gridlines and some of the other surface detail that appears on the decal itself.  If you can live with the seam line between the neck and the secondary hull, recommend you do not glue this section in place until after you apply the decals.  Apart from that, pretty smooth decal application, especially if you sanded off the gridlines.

IMG_20210327_230433.thumb.jpg.2dd12010a522b90125082bd32ce9f07a.jpg

IMG_20210327_230455.thumb.jpg.39a569d7bbb3e8b3ded9d55fbc589e79.jpg

IMG_20210327_230549.thumb.jpg.e1c0a39589806b35ab3240176fd4ebb4.jpg

 

Ent E

After gaining confidence with the End D, you may think the Ent E will be easy, but it is not.  There are fitment issues and crooked nacelles.  The decals twist and turn in some spots and may drive you nuts.  Details aren't very crisp on the Ent E, maybe the tooling is just old and tired and should be retired.

IMG_20210327_230735.thumb.jpg.b067509c21b88f92f445ea99ccbe078c.jpg

IMG_20210327_230750.thumb.jpg.f68e75bf59fb7c2995b038c55371e188.jpg

IMG_20210327_230804.thumb.jpg.50f0ae9526a193bfcd58c45ec2baeea3.jpg

IMG_20210327_230826.thumb.jpg.db7d0266b438d7bf8380fdcd22047d4d.jpg

IMG_20210327_230903.thumb.jpg.a2d8483829c4ead204441be65a9b4b7c.jpg

Oh, one more thing, if you use Gundam markers for the windows, recommend sealing them in before you add decals because decal solution and Gundam markers don't mix well....colors will run.

IMG_20210327_231241.thumb.jpg.4acb4da5cb55545a7f02aa4922fd0348.jpg

IMG_20210327_231453.thumb.jpg.94d1f950a1ff407651ee472fb3976fe3.jpg

IMG_20210327_231506.thumb.jpg.7dcbf2b9358ae06cb743e37afd6fff27.jpg

 

 

IMG_20210327_230306.jpg

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peter said:

I felt a lot of frustration building Hasegawa 1/72 Valks, but I think I lowered my standards and I felt better about building them after.  I haven't attempted any real world aircraft in recent years, so building an F14 might stress me out too.

I've heard good things about the newer Revell kits, I hope you find some fun and enjoyment in this build.  I have an F14 waiting for me in my pile of kits to build too, so I'll post about it when I get to it.

IMG_20210324_190005.thumb.jpg.ebc52dc3afccb517e0a12f1103d873ae.jpg

This came for it the other day.  It's an older tooling and I've heard it's a nightmare to build, so let's see where it goes, lol!

 

The tooling for the newer Tomcat @1/48 scale is the same as for the older. And let me tell you; the nightmare parts to fit are the intakes (especially the section where they go into the nose!). Take your time with them, and you may want to glue in tabs to keep them aligned.

The current Top Gun Model has decals for Maverick's plane, but the US symbols  (star with bars) on it are wrong and I need "NAVY" on the nacelles (decals don't include them).

Meantime, still checking my stash for a couple of VF-1A heads for you. I should have a couple, just need to find them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@peter AWESOME fleet Peter! All your hard work and tenacity paid off!

@derex3592 Looking good! It's a good thing you found some good putty! Looks like you'll be filling in the Grand Canyon!

@pengbuzz That's TWO gold stars for the wifey!!! That's awesome! I hope all goes well with this build. - MT

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past few weeks I've been trying to engineer and machine the parts for the 1/72nd scale Oto Melara 76/62 76mm naval gun. Since the parts are small and don't have much "meat" on them, it has been tough with a lot of reject parts, but a lot of gained knowledge too. Some parts were just redone so they looked more accurate. It all adds up! Badly scaled parts and things don't look right.

The magazine that sits below the deck looks like a sort of bottling plant. It actually spins around independently from the turret which sites inside it (the interior green colored cylinder). Each row holds TWO 76mm rounds. The whole magazine holds 80 rounds total between the carousel and the feed mechanism. That is what you're looking at here:

1698266750_76-62AmmoCarousel.thumb.jpg.2b9825a071b0ac889e7918d781c21240.jpg486786978_Loading76mm.thumb.jpg.76c3110dc9759e6a9d69a9e77231a06f.jpg

My son thought these looked like torture devices. It was fun cutting all those tiny lengths of brass wire and the gluing the into place on the top row. The bottom row is friction fit. You can see a complete round in one of the rows.

PXL_20210326_194158171.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.fbcf7352ec97e2df57a4f10614cb8f46.jpg

Do you know how hard it is to line up all those tiny pins with all those tiny pieces? It took hours just to do that - before the gluing. I then made a couple of jigs to keep the parts evenly spaced while gluing them in. Flush cutters were used for trimming the excess ends off.

PXL_20210326_223731509.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.5ed283470f803be91bae17149dd46b56.jpgPXL_20210327_204306685.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.4bcd2a2cc925513d127741d9ce05fbe7.jpg

And FINALLY, trimmed, sanded and test fit around the turret piece. The 1/72nd scale figure and a complete round are for scale.

If you noticed the big bolt is no longer attached to the turret? I VERY CAREFULLY machined-out the interior roof so the feed mechanism (next part of this project) can fit up in there.

Thank God I'm only making one of these! - MT

PXL_20210327_223616821.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.e925012ec7ea792d062713f519a442dc.jpgPXL_20210328_141219349.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.a0c8dce551fd4cae149e339a2e7de9a4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Not so much an update, but a confession of temperament gone bad, and a wife who is an utter angel...

I came back to my Tomcat model after working a bit on the 1/537 Refit (waiting on primer to cure fully before buying flat white for it). Anyways, I started scrubbing the model to get some of the paint off...

...and the blasted nose section  (along with one half of the top fuselage)cracked off the plane:

492031441_topgunf14002.thumb.JPG.6114caa089e3c0057aef2601fa5e7612.JPG

...and my last bit of patience went with it as well.

I ended up flying into rage I hadn't experienced for the better part of 10 years. When I was done, this was the result:

184488750_topgunf14003.thumb.JPG.cee364b33833a17e6be9cf942699f303.JPG

I scraped up these bits along with the nose cone, and just put them in a bag and left them in the dumpster. My wife came in after I sat back down, and I was just a mess. I crossed a line internally that I very much don't ever want to, and failed a project due to being utterly incompetent.

She just gave me a hug and we sat there for a good half-hour.

That was Thursday afternoon.

I narrowly averted having a seizure, but ended up with a major headache, not to mention scaring my poor wife nearly to death(how she puts up with me is known only to the good Lord!). So, I slept in much of yesterday (got up occasionally to look at online) and again today until a little before noon ,and got some hydration into me. I made my way to my worktable/ computer, and sat down to something unexpected. '

The note: "Honey, I knew the model you were working on was giving you problems. I knew you had put a lot of work into it; I felt so bad for you for trying so hard and it ending that way. I don't blame you for getting upset over it. 

I hope this helps you feel better. Love, Meg. <3"

And this was under the note:

1853256845_topgunf14004.thumb.JPG.94434f5866cd7a60b24c28b0061e276f.JPG

*cue Top Gun Anthem*

I love my wife. :wub::wub::wub::wub: I honestly don't deserve her, especially after the fit I had.

Damn, that is one fine wife!:angel: Give her a big hug from all of us! And good luck with the new build.

10 hours ago, peter said:

AMT 1/2500 scale Enterprise set done.

IMG_20210327_223437.thumb.jpg.47595c5ab8df479699f817bf825cdd43.jpg

Got two rattle cans of Tamiya Flat Clear on top of the Pledge and I'm calling it a day.  The other night, I had dreams about applying decals so I decided to walk away from this build despite leaving numerous mistakes.

Once again, I do not recommend this kit for noobs like me.  Still, despite a lot of frustration, I'm satisfied with the end result.  Bear in mind though, my standards are low, so even builders with a little experience will spot a lot of errors with my build.

Use hot water for the decals, the decals are prone to fragmenting if the decals are cold.

Final observations from a beginner's point of view:

NX-01

Probably the easiest of the set.  Nice crisp details, no fitment issues, minimal sanding and filling.  Decals went on like a breeze, but maybe because they were cut nice and small and did not have to conform over many odd shapes.

IMG_20210327_225204.thumb.jpg.646b39b563b7c7a018d7909ea02c18fd.jpg

IMG_20210327_225334.thumb.jpg.6790e3fb12cf0894b5a6898c47d2b203.jpg

 

TOS

Older tooling but thankfully no gridlines.  Do yourself a favour and sand off the windows and the pylon detail as the decals do not line up with these.

IMG_20210327_225411.thumb.jpg.1082f203f5ab6c84fc3c669d02245084.jpg

IMG_20210327_225431.thumb.jpg.084142e3e73bca817d0b11108e1ebf55.jpg

IMG_20210327_225448.thumb.jpg.1a2be9a1ba6de20e78b1cd24e264b0e8.jpg

 

Refit

I built my refit from the Cadet Series Motion Picture Set, but I would recommend using a dark primer to mask the trademark stamp on the inside of the saucer or you will see it if you hold a light behind it.

IMG_20210327_225703.thumb.jpg.3eb3bb33131ede2d86e117ef965a8b13.jpg

IMG_20210327_225709.thumb.jpg.4e3596d37026776f1dcba543bd645e5a.jpg

IMG_20210327_225709.thumb.jpg.4e3596d37026776f1dcba543bd645e5a.jpg

IMG_20210327_225806.thumb.jpg.af5b3f06089b457e07a337f242b013ff.jpg

 

Ent B

Do yourself a favour and sand off the gridlines.  Also, if you can, paint the blue chillers on the nacelles, as well as the darker gun metal detail if you can.  The nacelle decals do not want to "wrap around" as the instructions suggest.  They prefer to fragment and break into a million pieces.  Also, long lanky nacelles that may not line up correctly.  Ugly gaps and seam lines in the deflector dish area that I failed to fill.

IMG_20210327_225839.thumb.jpg.2a13950ba197926bf82672c49c02d9e2.jpg

IMG_20210327_225920.thumb.jpg.8ec4b8b5f64277ed6d01d7863e9e9f70.jpg

IMG_20210327_225952.thumb.jpg.b0a57682da19040d3c888fc2275d87e7.jpg

IMG_20210327_232600.thumb.jpg.144393c6eda6d92e4e680a6fb602a631.jpg

 

Ent C

Get your surgical gloves out, and have a bath of water ready to readjust the large saucer decals.  Making this one a smoothie would be difficult because the grid-lines come in direct contact with many details such as life boats and windows.  You might just have to live with the grid-lines but it makes decal application a nightmare.  Tons of Micro Sol or Mr Mark Softer for this one.

Nacelle upper decals are horrendous also, recommend lots of water to move them around in place, then it's tons of decal setter.  Cutting them up will not make it easier.  In my case, it made it worse.

IMG_20210327_230213.thumb.jpg.56c27172fba7d628033de1f90f69c09c.jpg

IMG_20210327_230237.thumb.jpg.2dae3d925761434fedb2537fe66a0c41.jpg

IMG_20210327_230245.thumb.jpg.27f00c90f1c017b28f57ee0caf92bd60.jpg

IMG_20210327_230334.thumb.jpg.68ae07c2fc9b0a3c669cc1158c31e224.jpg

 

Ent D

Sand off the gridlines and some of the other surface detail that appears on the decal itself.  If you can live with the seam line between the neck and the secondary hull, recommend you do not glue this section in place until after you apply the decals.  Apart from that, pretty smooth decal application, especially if you sanded off the gridlines.

IMG_20210327_230433.thumb.jpg.2dd12010a522b90125082bd32ce9f07a.jpg

IMG_20210327_230455.thumb.jpg.39a569d7bbb3e8b3ded9d55fbc589e79.jpg

IMG_20210327_230549.thumb.jpg.e1c0a39589806b35ab3240176fd4ebb4.jpg

 

Ent E

After gaining confidence with the End D, you may think the Ent E will be easy, but it is not.  There are fitment issues and crooked nacelles.  The decals twist and turn in some spots and may drive you nuts.  Details aren't very crisp on the Ent E, maybe the tooling is just old and tired and should be retired.

IMG_20210327_230735.thumb.jpg.b067509c21b88f92f445ea99ccbe078c.jpg

IMG_20210327_230750.thumb.jpg.f68e75bf59fb7c2995b038c55371e188.jpg

IMG_20210327_230804.thumb.jpg.50f0ae9526a193bfcd58c45ec2baeea3.jpg

IMG_20210327_230826.thumb.jpg.db7d0266b438d7bf8380fdcd22047d4d.jpg

IMG_20210327_230903.thumb.jpg.a2d8483829c4ead204441be65a9b4b7c.jpg

Oh, one more thing, if you use Gundam markers for the windows, recommend sealing them in before you add decals because decal solution and Gundam markers don't mix well....colors will run.

IMG_20210327_231241.thumb.jpg.4acb4da5cb55545a7f02aa4922fd0348.jpg

IMG_20210327_231453.thumb.jpg.94d1f950a1ff407651ee472fb3976fe3.jpg

IMG_20210327_231506.thumb.jpg.7dcbf2b9358ae06cb743e37afd6fff27.jpg

 

 

IMG_20210327_230306.jpg

Great looking fleet. Sure to be a bane against the Klingons, Romulans or whomever! 

 

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

For the past few weeks I've been trying to engineer and machine the parts for the 1/72nd scale Oto Melara 76/62 76mm naval gun. Since the parts are small and don't have much "meat" on them, it has been tough with a lot of reject parts, but a lot of gained knowledge too. Some parts were just redone so they looked more accurate. It all adds up! Badly scaled parts and things don't look right.

The magazine that sits below the deck looks like a sort of bottling plant. It actually spins around independently from the turret which sites inside it (the interior green colored cylinder). Each row holds TWO 76mm rounds. The whole magazine holds 80 rounds total between the carousel and the feed mechanism. That is what you're looking at here:

1698266750_76-62AmmoCarousel.thumb.jpg.2b9825a071b0ac889e7918d781c21240.jpg486786978_Loading76mm.thumb.jpg.76c3110dc9759e6a9d69a9e77231a06f.jpg

My son thought these looked like torture devices. It was fun cutting all those tiny lengths of brass wire and the gluing the into place on the top row. The bottom row is friction fit. You can see a complete round in one of the rows.

PXL_20210326_194158171.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.fbcf7352ec97e2df57a4f10614cb8f46.jpg

Do you know how hard it is to line up all those tiny pins with all those tiny pieces? It took hours just to do that - before the gluing. I then made a couple of jigs to keep the parts evenly spaced while gluing them in. Flush cutters were used for trimming the excess ends off.

PXL_20210326_223731509.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.5ed283470f803be91bae17149dd46b56.jpgPXL_20210327_204306685.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.4bcd2a2cc925513d127741d9ce05fbe7.jpg

And FINALLY, trimmed, sanded and test fit around the turret piece. The 1/72nd scale figure and a complete round are for scale.

If you noticed the big bolt is no longer attached to the turret? I VERY CAREFULLY machined-out the interior roof so the feed mechanism (next part of this project) can fit up in there.

Thank God I'm only making one of these! - MT

PXL_20210327_223616821.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.e925012ec7ea792d062713f519a442dc.jpgPXL_20210328_141219349.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.a0c8dce551fd4cae149e339a2e7de9a4.jpg

And some truly intricate, fantastic work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz That's TWO gold stars for the wifey!!! That's awesome! I hope all goes well with this build. - MT

 

26 minutes ago, Thom said:

Damn, that is one fine wife!:angel: Give her a big hug from all of us! And good luck with the new build.

Definitely will guys!!! She deserves it with what I've put her through!

@peter I found the heads; unfortunately, they are missing the laser cannon and back plate on both, but you're welcome to them. I'm sure you could scratch something up if needbe, here's a pic:

770050988_100_00561.thumb.JPG.ef2ac4e9cb96f7e53f0fcab145237ef2.JPG

If you want them, just send me an address and I'll try to get them to you!

------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Okay...some work on the cockpit tub and control panels for my new kit. Since this is the last  'cat I'm ever building...time to pull out all the stops and cut out the limiter.

I began by scraping the molded panel detail from the cockpit tub, using a needle file and xacto knife:

1055353870_MWFcatcockpit001.thumb.JPG.e4b0246cbe49d072715a92c61740ea19.JPG

Then, the rough part: cutting individual panels out and fitting them so there was a tiny amount of space between them. I wanted the panels to look individual and not "one giant panel" when paint was applied:

1616357222_MWFcatcockpit002.thumb.JPG.f02f1bec3ae38a7c6f6935bc3c640d3a.JPG

I also added in some missing details, such as the hydraulic for the canopy lift behind the RIO's seat, the canvas cover on the left side besides the Pilot's seat, and a few other odds and ends that got left out (such as the throttle, I mean yeah, it's not like the pilot actually needs that, right?)

939366951_MWFcatcockpit006.thumb.JPG.05eb80b23f90086d9e4cc84e1eb8c48e.JPG

While that was setting up, I took the time to prep the seats for Maverick and Goose:

1803284428_MWFcatcockpit003.thumb.JPG.cae1a32c5797b477b15c1e65756cc624.JPG

The older seat designs needed some modifications 9as did the pilots) in order for maverick and Goose to look like they were sitting in the seats, not just  plastic figures sitting on top of them. That meant using a dremel tool to grind away seat belts, shave down the pilot's backs and other areas, and ensure they fig snugly. not 100 percent, but close enough where looking in the cockpit does not reveal any issues:

 

1993718036_MWFcatcockpit004.thumb.JPG.808e5e8297a52ad682f97f706e4edab0.JPG1218691913_MWFcatcockpit005.thumb.JPG.dca4f5d932f52bf4c43cafe780fb5b08.JPG

"is this your idea of fun, Mav?"

- Lt. JG. Nick "Goose" Bradshaw.

Back to the cockpit tub:

1599097827_MWFcatcockpit007.thumb.JPG.5a05314bb75cade27fc96f78ba7e45b1.JPG1519826532_MWFcatcockpit008.thumb.JPG.aaec794ecd55fa1b284e08885c471bf8.JPG

From here, detail painting, weathering and decalling will commence, followed by painting the seats and attaching everything into place.

Stay tuned... revving up the engines, listen to them howl and blow...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A hint to Tomcat modelers: In a closed canopy build, anything below the sill is pretty much invisible, especially with pilots in there. So maybe don't get crazy on those circuit breakers...

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

A hint to Tomcat modelers: In a closed canopy build, anything below the sill is pretty much invisible, especially with pilots in there. So maybe don't get crazy on those circuit breakers...

Thanks for the tip! I just discovered though that the cockpit has decals for all that. No loss if I decal it and it doesn't show! :D

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

 

Definitely will guys!!! She deserves it with what I've put her through!

@peter I found the heads; unfortunately, they are missing the laser cannon and back plate on both, but you're welcome to them. I'm sure you could scratch something up if needbe, here's a pic:

770050988_100_00561.thumb.JPG.ef2ac4e9cb96f7e53f0fcab145237ef2.JPG

If you want them, just send me an address and I'll try to get them to you!

------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Okay...some work on the cockpit tub and control panels for my new kit. Since this is the last  'cat I'm ever building...time to pull out all the stops and cut out the limiter.

I began by scraping the molded panel detail from the cockpit tub, using a needle file and xacto knife:

1055353870_MWFcatcockpit001.thumb.JPG.e4b0246cbe49d072715a92c61740ea19.JPG

Then, the rough part: cutting individual panels out and fitting them so there was a tiny amount of space between them. I wanted the panels to look individual and not "one giant panel" when paint was applied:

1616357222_MWFcatcockpit002.thumb.JPG.f02f1bec3ae38a7c6f6935bc3c640d3a.JPG

I also added in some missing details, such as the hydraulic for the canopy lift behind the RIO's seat, the canvas cover on the left side besides the Pilot's seat, and a few other odds and ends that got left out (such as the throttle, I mean yeah, it's not like the pilot actually needs that, right?)

939366951_MWFcatcockpit006.thumb.JPG.05eb80b23f90086d9e4cc84e1eb8c48e.JPG

While that was setting up, I took the time to prep the seats for Maverick and Goose:

1803284428_MWFcatcockpit003.thumb.JPG.cae1a32c5797b477b15c1e65756cc624.JPG

The older seat designs needed some modifications 9as did the pilots) in order for maverick and Goose to look like they were sitting in the seats, not just  plastic figures sitting on top of them. That meant using a dremel tool to grind away seat belts, shave down the pilot's backs and other areas, and ensure they fig snugly. not 100 percent, but close enough where looking in the cockpit does not reveal any issues:

 

1993718036_MWFcatcockpit004.thumb.JPG.808e5e8297a52ad682f97f706e4edab0.JPG1218691913_MWFcatcockpit005.thumb.JPG.dca4f5d932f52bf4c43cafe780fb5b08.JPG

"is this your idea of fun, Mav?"

- Lt. JG. Nick "Goose" Bradshaw.

Back to the cockpit tub:

1599097827_MWFcatcockpit007.thumb.JPG.5a05314bb75cade27fc96f78ba7e45b1.JPG1519826532_MWFcatcockpit008.thumb.JPG.aaec794ecd55fa1b284e08885c471bf8.JPG

From here, detail painting, weathering and decalling will commence, followed by painting the seats and attaching everything into place.

Stay tuned... revving up the engines, listen to them howl and blow...

 

Good looking start to the new (last?) F-14 build!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, peter said:

Ent E

After gaining confidence with the End D, you may think the Ent E will be easy, but it is not.  There are fitment issues and crooked nacelles.  The decals twist and turn in some spots and may drive you nuts.  Details aren't very crisp on the Ent E, maybe the tooling is just old and tired and should be retired.

IMG_20210327_230735.thumb.jpg.b067509c21b88f92f445ea99ccbe078c.jpg

The tooling on all of the AMT Enterprise E kits should have been retired before ever being released.  I got both that mold and the 1/1400 one when they were brand new, and they haven't changed.  They're just disappointing kits.  Incredibly mushy detail (for what they bothered to mold, anyhow), lousy accuracy, and just a general level of rubbery-looking blandness that most of the other Trek kits seemed to avoid.  If we make the comparison that the details of the Polar Lights kits are crisp like Pringles, the AMT Enterprise E kits are like month-old re-microwaved crinkle fries.

I would have absolutely loved to see Polar Lights tackle a new mold of the Ent E, but seems like they're just not making anything new lately?  Honestly, the best option for an Enterprise E at this point is buying the Diamond Select version.  

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! Great work everyone! @peter - The fleet came out fantastic!!! 8)  @pengbuzz -man!!! She's a keeper all right! What a great story! :wub: @MechTech - You sir are either a non human godlike scratch building machine OR a complete MADMAN who should be committed immediately for psychiatric evaluation!  Either way, amazing work! :clapping:

Over here today, MILESTONE DAY - Engines attached to main body and lights still work! Whew! ***Mental note!!*** - Next time, mask off large sections of bare plastic where big parts attach, it would have saved me a LOT of time sanding back paint and primer today!  Next, make new set of windows and install and then it's time for the main event...wire up everything together inside and get the top and bottom halves together....somehow...After that, it's all down to masking and painting panels....hopefully. Finally got a mock up shot of what this thing will look like! Been a long time coming! 

 

 

20210328_170316.jpg

20210328_171358.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

WOW! Great work everyone! @peter - The fleet came out fantastic!!! 8)  @pengbuzz -man!!! She's a keeper all right! What a great story! :wub: @MechTech - You sir are either a non human godlike scratch building machine OR a complete MADMAN who should be committed immediately for psychiatric evaluation!  Either way, amazing work! :clapping:

Over here today, MILESTONE DAY - Engines attached to main body and lights still work! Whew! ***Mental note!!*** - Next time, mask off large sections of bare plastic where big parts attach, it would have saved me a LOT of time sanding back paint and primer today!  Next, make new set of windows and install and then it's time for the main event...wire up everything together inside and get the top and bottom halves together....somehow...After that, it's all down to masking and painting panels....hopefully. Finally got a mock up shot of what this thing will look like! Been a long time coming! 

 

 

20210328_170316.jpg

20210328_171358.jpg

WOW! Runabout looking sweet so far! :shok:

Link to post
Share on other sites

@derex3592 Congrats on the milestone! Don;t know if you need clear plastic ideas, but my local hardware store, in the gardening section, they have the clear propogation domes for seedling. Some can be crazed and a little cloudy, but some of them are as clear as glass!

7093_32685.jpg?fit=1200,1200&ssl=1

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20210328_171358.jpg

IMO the craft looks so much better without the toy-ish nacelle colors. Good work, you should cut out some bigger windows to show off the interior.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! Doing my best to keep you entertained.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

what's the dangly looking things underneath???

My wild guess is that one is a ground connector for electric discharge. There is a label next to the smaller one, but I couldn't find pics of the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: finished cockpit pics-

1438597667_topgunprogress001.thumb.JPG.4946f982c4da677a473e7ceda4bcb12f.JPG1411638540_topgunprogress002.thumb.JPG.f17b97d5ceab256bb358dbd4063eede4.JPG1279279774_topgunprogress003.thumb.JPG.369b8bbdeaae5afa62fe693eba1dfc85.JPG890674533_topgunprogress004.thumb.JPG.9812256f1e410bfd081a4b273b69e0e3.JPG1922716406_topgunprogress005.thumb.JPG.0bbd98718ca4161b0b2c50b575bb3062.JPG

The decals made it look darker than it really should be, but since much of this will be hidden anyways, no big deal. Just need it to look convincing during close-up views of the cockpit.

 

Stay tuned...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@pengbuzz  "Talk to me Goose!" Looking good!! 

@derex3592  Thank you! Just ordered some, looking forward to using it. 

To everyone else, keep up the good jobs. 

My Tamiya paint arrived today so I figured why not try them out, I wanted to do something different for both of these as my other 31A's have more of a Gull grey finish, I decided to try intermediate blue this time around... same for the 19. A small accomplishment today, more to go. B))

 

IMG_6692.JPG

IMG_6691.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

@pengbuzz Thank you and great change-up of details in the cockpit to include fixing the consoles too! You even striped the helmets!

@derex3592 Thank you! I'd have to side with madman. That's what it felt like drilling all those holes and then threading the rods through them! Your Runabout is looking great! Your paint colors are great and like EI said, the nacelle colors look better than solid colored lenses.

@electric indigo That just needs some sky for the background and some vortices and it would be hard to tell from the real deal!

@505thAirborne That's a nice color!

@arbit Thank you, Arbit! I kept thinking of Tweetie's bird cage!

@Thom Thank you, Thom!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...