HG and Robotech Debates

If there is anything I couldn't get, is that if they think RT is superior to any Macross Series (including the original), why cause a roadblock of Macross in the U.S.. I mean if I think my product is superior, I would even let the competition in and see them get beaten again and again...

Since I haven't seen RT, I wanted to ask something.

Did the original animators get credited (as in listed) in the opening and closing credits of RT?

For Me, it's still weird to trademark something you didn't create, and take credit for designs that weren't yours in the first place...

Oh well...

No, and it's a point of anger for a lot of people, including quite a few Robotech fans. It's like this...you create a toy. It's a perfectly engineered, perfectly colored and detailed toy that you sell to someone else to use as they want. However, they turn around, and change the arms and head of the toy, and then call it something different, but very similar to your toy. Then, they put it on the market, and when people ask about it, the person who bought it from you claims they created it, and never gives you credit.

Of course, later down the line, you keep creating awesome toys, but don't play with the person who screwed you over. The result, you have many, many awesome designs and a great toy line, and the person who screwed you over is still reliving the glory days of having that one well designed toy of yours.

No, and it's a point of anger for a lot of people, including quite a few Robotech fans. It's like this...you create a toy. It's a perfectly engineered, perfectly colored and detailed toy that you sell to someone else to use as they want. However, they turn around, and change the arms and head of the toy, and then call it something different, but very similar to your toy. Then, they put it on the market, and when people ask about it, the person who bought it from you claims they created it, and never gives you credit.

Of course, later down the line, you keep creating awesome toys, but don't play with the person who screwed you over. The result, you have many, many awesome designs and a great toy line, and the person who screwed you over is still reliving the glory days of having that one well designed toy of yours.

I wanted to add something about them then focusing on China and something about knockoffs, but it wasn't worth planning out since it's Robo-tech.

Maybe. Question is why the F*CK any of YOU care? That has never quite been explained to me sufficiently.

Uh... it may have something to do with you coming to a public forum to complain bitterly about something that most Robotech fans couldn't care less about, to an audience even less inclined to care than the average Robotech fan. To be frank, the general lack of sympathy for your "plight" shouldn't come as any surprise. Nor, for that matter, should the sentiments that you're wasting your time pursuing a fool's errand by trying to overturn one of the few sensible business decisions Harmony Gold has made in the history of their Robotech franchise.

You could at least use the original 1985 vids... not the Tommy Yune-bastardized version. :rolleyes:

Meh... it hardly matters. The only version of the Robotech opening credits that acknowledge the real creators was the one cooked up for that 25th Anniversary party.

Great find Gubaba!

Tommy played that for abot 4 years at every convention panel when that came out. It got so damn old, that even hearing it now is just, Blahhh!!!

That's good intentioned, but there are too many credits and the three screens of voice acting credits look awkward. It distracts the viewer from enjoying the ending sequence.

It's less distracting than the original, which had the same amount of credits, but had a thicker font that made the screen busier than the revised. It looks much better than the original, and that's an opinion from a design standpoint.

Are they getting a janitor's closet for SDCC? ^_^

They got one of the mid-size/large panels rooms. BUT....The Vertigo panel is before them and the Garth Ennis: Stitched world-premiere panel and Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 103 follow that panel so you have to ask how many people are actually camping in there for those panels. Additionally, it's scheduled from 7-8PM. But we all know the 1st and last (minus the dealer room) days of these conventions are the lightest.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci11_prog_thu.php

Not that anyone really cares, but Kevin McKeever is doing a post panel discussion on the (wonder how they came up with this name) Robotech world podcast. If anyone is on talkshoe, someone should ask him why he lied about the Toynami pods being stuck in a factory in China or stuck on a boat? Whether they got made or not, why make up such a stupid reason that makes no sense? If he says that they have been made, then one can ask why Toynami has given a different answer right after Anime Expo.

Speaking of, on RTx.com Memo said that he supposedly talked to George and another Toynami rep, and that they said that the toys are indeed on a boat at this moment. If they did tell him that, I'm willing to bet either 1)HG went into a fit that people actually got the truth from the source and told Toynami to go along with their story, or 2) They've managed to start producing them and put a couple on a shipment in the last two weeks. What's reall mindblowing, is that it's not even that big of a deal. If they had just said, "Hey Toynami hasn't made these yet because the interest hasn't been shown for these. If you guys want them, write Toynami, show your interest", then it wouldn't relfect negatively as much as making up a lame ass excuse that really makes no sense.

In a sense, that lie actually hurts Toynami. If people are under the assumption that Toynami has made them already, then the consumer doesn't need to express any further interest. They are just waiting, and then if the product never shows, or takes exceedingly long, you run into a situation where you get caught, and called on it. It reflects bad on both companies. Of course, that's my opinion, but it's not from some ignorant fan either. I've been in business for myself before, and I've had enough schooling in business management, economics, marketing, and whatnot, to foresee risks and benefits of one action versus another.

Not that anyone really cares, but Kevin McKeever is doing a post panel discussion on the (wonder how they came up with this name) Robotech world podcast. If anyone is on talkshoe, someone should ask him why he lied about the Toynami pods being stuck in a factory in China or stuck on a boat? Whether they got made or not, why make up such a stupid reason that makes no sense? If he says that they have been made, then one can ask why Toynami has given a different answer right after Anime Expo...

Not sure how much you can get from a show hosted by a delusional fanboy interviewing a dishonest weirdo... :wacko: But we'll see.

They got one of the mid-size/large panels rooms. BUT....The Vertigo panel is before them and the Garth Ennis: Stitched world-premiere panel and Torchwood: Miracle Day Episode 103 follow that panel so you have to ask how many people are actually camping in there for those panels. Additionally, it's scheduled from 7-8PM. But we all know the 1st and last (minus the dealer room) days of these conventions are the lightest.

Can't wait to see Steve Yun's yearly Audience Panorama Shot of Doom. Ultimately, it doesn't matter since whatever they're doing pales in comparison to everything else going around in SDCC, and they know it. ^_^

Edited by chrisk

Funny someone mentioned the Robotech Recliner of Rage segment, because guess what's coming in October?

Robotech: The Quadruple (or so) Dip Collection

Among other things, fans will finally get their damn Robotech: The Movie footage. Thank A&E Entertainment for this, $99 a 'job.

And just in case certain people are watching this thread, seriously? How many times has the show been re-released by now, including the various websites where the series is (or was mysteriously after this post) available with online streaming legally?

Edited by Einherjar

ROBOTECH: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES

Street date: October 18, 2011

Sug. Retail Price: $99.95

Running Time: 32 hrs., 30 mins. + bonus

Format: DVD/ 17 discs

THE FIRST ROBOTECH WAR (THE MACROSS SAGA)

Format: DVD/5 Discs

Running Time Approx. 15 hrs.

Sug. Retail Price: $49.95

THE SECOND ROBOTECH WAR (THE ROBOTECH MASTERS)

Format: DVD/4 Discs

Running Time Approx. 10 hrs.

Sug. Retail Price: $39.95

THE THIRD ROBOTECH WAR (THE NEW GENERATION)

Format: DVD/4 Discs

Running Time Approx. 10 hrs.

Sug. Retail Price: $39.95

Wowee! It's like printing money!! Up yours creativity!!

Edited by chrisk

Just heard part of the interview with Kevvie Mac, and well.... :blink: WTF? They were talking about oil prices, and the economy, and a bunch of excuses for things, but not a lot of definitive explanations. Answers were left very open ended, and most of it was just strange. He talked about how Robotech is probably in better shape now, then back in the 85, and used the LAM which isn't even a for sure thing yet as evidence, as well as one half-assed movie, and a side project. Ummm, really? Back then, they were making toys, had advertising on T.V. had comic books in large production, and plenty of other stuff. I had a big Kool-Aid grin when he was trying to explain that, as it's just not true.

Most of it just sounded like fluff, and he did mention that all of us here are having meltdowns because the battleposds are on a boat. First off,,,meltdown??? I think that description will let people know just how out of context he takes things. Meltdown??? OK,,,anyways, I wonder if he realizes the only news of that was to pretty much laugh at his stupid excuse for why it's not here, and that Toynami, the day after their AX panel, had something else to say about why they aren't here.

He also mentioned something in regards to a question about having Macross over here, and while I was busy eating a nice steak at the time, the only thing I got was at the end, where he says that those proceedings are still in process, which again, just isn't true. Ahhh, a good laugh to keep the stomach tight, and reassure many that our thoughts on Kevin are 100% right on.

Just heard part of the interview with Kevvie Mac, and well.... :blink: WTF? They were talking about oil prices, and the economy, and a bunch of excuses for things, but not a lot of definitive explanations. Answers were left very open ended, and most of it was just strange. He talked about how Robotech is probably in better shape now, then back in the 85, and used the LAM which isn't even a for sure thing yet as evidence, as well as one half-assed movie, and a side project. Ummm, really? Back then, they were making toys, had advertising on T.V. had comic books in large production, and plenty of other stuff. I had a big Kool-Aid grin when he was trying to explain that, as it's just not true.

Most of it just sounded like fluff, and he did mention that all of us here are having meltdowns because the battleposds are on a boat. First off,,,meltdown??? I think that description will let people know just how out of context he takes things. Meltdown??? OK,,,anyways, I wonder if he realizes the only news of that was to pretty much laugh at his stupid excuse for why it's not here, and that Toynami, the day after their AX panel, had something else to say about why they aren't here.

He also mentioned something in regards to a question about having Macross over here, and while I was busy eating a nice steak at the time, the only thing I got was at the end, where he says that those proceedings are still in process, which again, just isn't true. Ahhh, a good laugh to keep the stomach tight, and reassure many that our thoughts on Kevin are 100% right on.

Idiots.

He talked about how Robotech is probably in better shape now, then back in the 85...

And what shape would that be? Thanks to inflation, I'm sure this franchise is making more than it did in 1985, but then I would have to account for inflation and rework those numbers.

Most of it just sounded like fluff, and he did mention that all of us here are having meltdowns because the battleposds are on a boat. First off,,,meltdown??? ...

So these Battle pods are made of crack or something? Is this Battle pod toy the Tickle-Me-Elmo of our time or something cuz I'm not seeing anything in the news or anything.... :rolleyes:

And what shape would that be? Thanks to inflation, I'm sure this franchise is making more than it did in 1985, but then I would have to account for inflation and rework those numbers.

So these Battle pods are made of crack or something? Is this Battle pod toy the Tickle-Me-Elmo of our time or something cuz I'm not seeing anything in the news or anything.... :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I'd explain to you Kevin's "Ratings and Demographics" presentation, but it's so flawed and skewed, I'd only do that to you if I hated you. I think it was just B.S. to hype up like 2 people.

Oh, I forgot to add this, A&E will be re-re-re-releasing the Robotech story on DVD, with 10 hours of extras including (hopefully I got this correctly) the Carl Macek documentary. As Chrisk pointed out, you're basically paying $100 for extras...SUCKERS!!!!

Wow, they did have a fallout with ADV didn't they? It would have been nothing for Sentai to reprint either version of those old disc's, but instead HG had to go with some no-name and worse yet, crammed more episodes per disc. 36 episodes on 5 DVD's = WTF are they thinking. Stranger still, they're not saying whether it will be the original cuts, or the "remasters," though looking at the freakin' cover art, I'd wager remasters. Regardless, an interesting developement. The real question at this point is whether or not they'll be able to afford to get their new "sidequal" out on bluray, and which studio they'd have to sign up with to do it. If they're lucky, they might get a window with Image.

Here's a more complete list of features.

• Sug. Retail Price: $99.95
  • Running Time: 32 hrs., 30 mins. + bonus
  • Format: DVD/ 17 discs

Aside from featuring all 85 half-hour episodes of the original series (re-mastered from original elements for this release), ROBOTECH: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES also includes over ten hours of bonus programming:

• The Making of Robotech Documentary - NEW to DVD
  • Robotech Music Videos - NEW to DVD
  • Robotech Overview - NEW to DVD
  • Alternate versions of select Robotech episodes - NEW to DVD
  • Robotech: The Movie supplementals (including several sequences NEW to DVD)
  • Macross Original Pilot - 70 minute extended version - NEW to DVD
  • Promotional reel of Robotech Launch in China - NEW to DVD
  • Over an hour of deleted scenes
  • Robotech: The Sentinels (with optional audio commentary)
  • Robotech: The Sentinels promotional video
  • Macross Original Pilot - Parts 1, 2 and 3
  • Mospeada Original Pilot - Part 1
  • Original opening and closing animations
  • Galaxy of the Stars - Harmony Gold promotional reel
  • Toy Commercial and Videogame presentation reels
  • International clips for all three Robotech Wars
  • A vast stills appendix containing character bios, model sheets, pre-production art, comic book covers, and merchandise galleries
  • And much, much more!

Also solves the question about whether it's the remastered version or not.

One more piece of hilariousness. It's actually not a no-name company. It's A&E Network. Sounds like this is the DVD equivilent of a vanity pressing.

Edited by Keith

Seems they threw everything and the kitchen sink. I won't be surprised if this sells out though, since Robotech fans are starving! They don't have the... luxury of other fanbases.

Still, a hundred bucks for extras is still a hundred bucks for stuff that will eventually find their way to Youtube or some wiki page. In any case, I've seen bits of the remasters and they're pretty dreadful. I think I'll hold on to my six-year old China-made bootleg boxset DVD which I bought from a place called Quiapo...

Edited by chrisk

I don't think HG understands, they don't have a marketshare that they've missed. Likely, everyone on this planet who would be interested in owning that show already does. This i pretty damn foolish.

I wonder if the toy commercials in the DVD set will have the kids' faces blurred out like in the Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary DVD. If not, don't be surprised if HG gets slapped with a lawsuit.

Depends on various rights issues, though I think they were left alone on the initial DVD release.

You have to buy another copy of the show on the obsolete format DVD to get the documentary? :huh:

Not that I care. I may never see it anyway unless they post it on Youtube. I haven't seen the 2-disc Shadow Chronicles extras either.

The audience for this watched and liked Robotech The Movie? :huh:

They need two versions of the Space Fortress Macross Boobytrap tape? :huh:

The original shows, particularly Macross, are lost footage from Robotech in 2011? :huh:

Why aren't these stills a book instead of slideshow in a video if they're so interesting?

Remastered, and HG and their fan's interpretation of Robotech in general, is a bad dub of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada with not much to justify the existence of Robotech. What the point even for people nostalgic about it?

I hate Robotech "fans" who are ignorant of Japanese animation. I'm listening to this podcast and I just heard "Megazone Twenty Three" AGAIN. Would you morons stop saying that? It's Megazone Two Three!

You have to buy another copy of the show on the obsolete format DVD to get the documentary? :huh:

Not that I care. I may never see it anyway unless they post it on Youtube. I haven't seen the 2-disc Shadow Chronicles extras either.

The original shows, particularly Macross, are lost footage from Robotech in 2011? :huh:

Why aren't these stills a book instead of slideshow in a video if they're so interesting?

Remastered, and HG and their fan's interpretation of Robotech in general, is a bad dub of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada with not much to justify the existence of Robotech. What the point even for people nostalgic about it?

I hate Robotech "fans" who are ignorant of Japanese animation. I'm listening to this podcast and I just heard "Megazone Twenty Three" AGAIN. Would you morons stop saying that? It's Megazone Two Three!

LOL, good to see you back!

The real question at this point is whether or not they'll be able to afford to get their new "sidequal" out on bluray, and which studio they'd have to sign up with to do it. If they're lucky, they might get a window with Image.

What do you think is paying for this sidequal? That what this whole "complete collection" is for. :D They needs more monies to make "quality products" for dem "rabid hordes" of RT fans.

I'm listening to the podcast now..did McKeevie just brag that Shadow Chronicles was announced at Comic Con...5 YEARS ago? Definitely a great way to prove that the franchise is alive, well, and moving forward.

i dunno... i'm a pretty serious OTAKU, been one for the better part of twenty years now,

and yet i seem to consistently find myself invariably referring to the series by "Megazone Twenty Three" despite the fact that i very much know better. it just sounds right to my ears, s'all.

at any rate... anyone care to explain to me the reasoning behind the "Two Three" ?

Edited by Shaorin

i dunno... i'm a pretty serious OTAKU, been one for the better part of twenty years now,

and yet i seem to consistently find myself invariably referring to the series by "Megazone Twenty Three" despite the fact that i very much know better. it just sounds right to my ears, s'all.

at any rate... anyone care to explain to me the reasoning behind the "Two Three" ?

If you read the opening title on the VHS, or DVD, the title reads "Megazone two three"

If you read the opening title on the VHS, or DVD, the title reads "Megazone two three"

indeed it may... but WHAT EXACTLY is there in the title logo that so clearly infers that the title should be interpreted as "Two Three" and not "Twenty Three" ?

i apologize for my glaringly obvious stupidity...

Megazone_23_Part_1-cdcovers_cc-fron.jpg

Edited by Shaorin