HG and Robotech Debates

There's gotta be something to be said about the near fetishistic fervor of Rick Hunter "idolizers". That thing being they're all deep in the closet.

It's a side effect of the culture clash created by the way robotech was done. The Japanese are a lot better about letting a character go once their story ends. Things like the U.S. comic industry on the other hand has a nasty habbit of recycling characters infinitum instead of moving on to new ones. When you have "the new generation" dangling Rick Hunter like so much carrot in the dialogue, it's no wonder fans thought he was coming back. And to be fair, he intially was coming back via "the sentinels," but you saw how that whole ordeal fell apart.

Now thise is one of the few things that Steve Yune actually does understand, if you dangle Rick Hunter in front of the fans, those who still care will come back. Unfortunately, he also has no idea how to write a story, nor does he believe in delivering "his" fans any real substance in fear that they'll go away once they learn he can't deliver. In the process, they're leaving regardless. Ironic? :)

...When you have "the new generation" dangling Rick Hunter like so much carrot in the dialogue, it's no wonder fans thought he was coming back. And to be fair, he intially was coming back via "the sentinels," but you saw how that whole ordeal fell apart.

You ever wonder if the New Generation storyline added to that? I mean they worked up "Admiral Hunter" so bad to the point where he's some great legend, you gotta wonder if that also affected the minds of fans. Does the mere mention of "Rick Hunter" make fans scream like school girls just like the characters in New Generation? :lol:

Now thise is one of the few things that Steve Yune actually does understand, if you dangle Rick Hunter in front of the fans, those who still care will come back. Unfortunately, he also has no idea how to write a story, ...

Thought Steve only works on the website....

When I first watched Robotech in 85, I definitely wanted to know what happened to Rick Hunter out of the fact that they purposefully set that up to want to find out. I agree, that they do have this idea that these characters have to stay as long as possible, and if they leave, people will lose interest in the series. However, even as a kid, I didn't need to see what happened to all the characters. There's this thing called imagination that most people use, and it will fill in gaps and helps generate creativity in each person, to make the story up in between, at the end points, and whatnot. For some reasoning that is beyond any sense, they take every character in Robotech, and make way too much out of their story. They relate just about everyone to someone else in all the generations, and the fact that they do that really dumbs down the ability of the fans to have that gap so that they can make up their own story. I mean really, they've stapled this "What happened to Rick Hunter" thing so much, that they kinda put themselves in their own pit. Now, many fans have to know what happens to him since they didn't wrap anything up in RTSC, and at the slow rate they do things, it could take, I dunno, forever to end that worn out story.

It's why, IMO, the Macross franchise is a much better story. They give a lot of history details, fleet info, character info, etc., but it's told in gaps, and they don't rehash the same characters in every single series. Do we all want to know what happened to Hikaru Ichijo and Misa Hayase??? Of course, but it's not like we need a new series on it. It makes for interesting conversation amongst fans, if you want to engage in the stories of what happened in others' opinions. Not only that, but Macross doesn't have the constraints of having to be stuck in the same place and time with the stories, and is able to expand out, yet still retain enough connection with what has come before, to keep all fans, old and new, invested in the story.

I would say that the reasoning behind the buildup to Admiral Hunter was the same reason Dana was Max and Miriya's daughter in Southern Cross. There had to be a connection in order to connect the three series.

That said, when Shadow Chronicles decided to have Rick Hunter show up only to be drop off of the face of the earth, that's a trap that a lot of producer's fall into these days, and what seemed to happen back in the 1980's. When a TV show is low-rated and it looks like it's going to get cancelled, producers and writers throw in a cliffhanger because they think it'll get the show renewed for another season (after all, artistically, why would you want to leave a story not finished?) But the truth is that $$$ speak over everything, and if it doesn't make economical sense to continue the story, it won't get made.

So, rather than a complete story that generations of fans can enjoy later on, you get a half-told story that makes people think "eh, why would I want to watch that again when I it doesn't have a real ending?"

I would say that the reasoning behind the buildup to Admiral Hunter was the same reason Dana was Max and Miriya's daughter in Southern Cross. There had to be a connection in order to connect the three series.

That said, when Shadow Chronicles decided to have Rick Hunter show up only to be drop off of the face of the earth, that's a trap that a lot of producer's fall into these days, and what seemed to happen back in the 1980's. When a TV show is low-rated and it looks like it's going to get cancelled, producers and writers throw in a cliffhanger because they think it'll get the show renewed for another season (after all, artistically, why would you want to leave a story not finished?) But the truth is that $$$ speak over everything, and if it doesn't make economical sense to continue the story, it won't get made.

So, rather than a complete story that generations of fans can enjoy later on, you get a half-told story that makes people think "eh, why would I want to watch that again when I it doesn't have a real ending?"

That, I understand, but to do it at this time and age, especially when it's direct to consumer media, that, I can see, as being quite frustrating. Leaving off the original series to "find Admiral Hunter" is fine, but what I believe hurt them, is dwelling on that story so long, and hyping it up for so long, that now it's the staple of the entire series. They spent all that time and effort into that story, that they don't have anything else really after that. And now you have RTSC, which is just a tease for those who have to know about Hunter, and in order to tell that story, instead of doing something interesting with it, they pull it around ANOTHER aliens attack earth story.

Making a crappy comic video isn't exactly impressive. That comic was terrible to begin with so putting music to it doesn't help.

I agree the actualy production isn't that impressive but what is impressive is that a fan was able to release something online that could help build interest (though maybe not a lot of interest) in Robotech while HG hasn't done anything on this kind of scale. Yeah, they're showing a preview clip at cons which maybe a couple hundred people have seen but I'm sure this fan release has already surpassed this amount.

I agree the actualy production isn't that impressive but what is impressive is that a fan was able to release something online that could help build interest (though maybe not a lot of interest) in Robotech while HG hasn't done anything on this kind of scale.

Exactly. Harmony Gold should start small, in my opinion and keep it simple. Video comics is a good way to do so. Eventually people might want the physical comic. Again, record it to music, sound effects and voice actors and its a prime way to keep fans interested. This stuff ain't rocket surgery.

The best idea, to write new novels and online comics because they don't have to money to make a series, has been pitched to HG a million times. They're intent on Robotech sucking and they're not changing their minds.

You mean like with Chase Masterson as CHERYL the android singing over cheap knockoffs of the music or replacing everything with Mospeada Plus?

Since it's a game, they should be able to include badly rendered VF-1R's, Hover Tanks, Transforming Heilcoptors, Transforming Jeeps, and Alpha's.

I had wired thought the other day. If protoculture is sex and fuel does that mean that the protoculture reactors just a room with two people going at it?

So, in essence, the genre should be considered science-friction? :blink:

I had weird thought the other day. If protoculture is sex and fuel does that mean that the protoculture reactors just a room with two people going at it?

Yes, and then you can smoke the leftover mess they made.

Sad that a fan could do this and Harmony Gold cannot possibly think outside the box enough to even try. Seriously, are they THAT strapped for cash that editing soundtrack and voice actors together is that much of an outlay?

I'm sorry...why exactly do we care whether HG is good at marketing its shitty product or not? :mellow:

I'm sorry...why exactly do we care whether HG is good at marketing its shitty product or not? :mellow:

'cause EVERYONE wants to know that happened to !!!!RICK HUNTER!!!!

i sleep with my highly accurate replica figure of him every night,

dreaming of the day when he will come back to take us all to a better world...

IMG_9420.jpg

This, Dear Friends, is the Face of a SAVIOR...

dxrickcu.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

No, that's "Tokin' Action" Rick Hunter. Shaorin must have lost the "protobong" he came with.

no, that's not my figure. i've no interest in owning such a turd...

The old BBC series Blake's 7 played this game with fans for a while. Will Blake return after a few seasons absence or won't he? Fortunately in the final episodes the fan's got their wish, but the return was handled *brilliantly*. I don't think that HG would do this to Rick Hunter........

SPOILER: DONT watch this if you havent' seen the series and want to some day, you have been warned....

Sad that a fan could do this and Harmony Gold cannot possibly think outside the box enough to even try. Seriously, are they THAT strapped for cash that editing soundtrack and voice actors together is that much of an outlay?

Its because of the global economic slowdown...they have to import the soundtracks from Asia and the ship is stuck in a port...duh...