HG and Robotech Debates

See, I keep tellin' all you folks out there, a reboot would solve all of that. No need to milk existing designs for all their worth or try to explain visual discontinuity when you can recreate it all the way you like it. But then you would have to find competent people for that...

Exactly... they would have to find competent people to reboot it from the ground up. The problem being, what competent person is going to want to work for a godawful fly-by-night operation like Harmony Gold? Moreover, with Harmony Gold's management apparently of the opinion that Robotech isn't worth spending money on even when it's enjoying a small measure of success for once, convincing them to launch a pricey and risky endeavor like a total reboot of the entire franchise would be a real trick... especially since it would almost be guaranteed to cost them that tiny group of hardcore fans who are their assured revenue stream!

...Robotech isn't worth spending money on...

Therein lies the rub. If they were willing to spend the money in the first place they WOULD HAVE hired a more competent crew. I just wonder how these people look when they scramble to look like they're doing something when the higher ups come around.

Eh... no. As I illustrated earlier, the aircraft in question is not an original design for this "side story" project... it's a holdover from the original Genesis Climber MOSPEADA. It's the very same model of fighter that Yellow Belmont ("Lancer" in Robotech) was found in after being shot down by the Inbit (Invid). It's not a transforming fighter either, so it's not really a part of Robotech's messed-up and highly contrived VF design lineage either.

Ok, so it was official and designed to fail in the first place. Is there already a Robo-tech version about its background or is it a contrived explanation to look forward to when they release more information about this murky area of the timeline? Remember that they have no problem retconing previous information into something completely different to suit their needs.

Edited by Einherjar

Is there already a Robo-tech version about its background or is it a contrived explanation to look forward to when they release more information about this murky area of the timeline?

Yes, there is. Mind you, its alleged battlefield success is entirely "informed ability", with no actual basis in the series or even the canon comics.

http://www.robotech....&seriescode=NGE

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Speaking of designed to fail, who is the target audience of Robotech these days anyways? If it's the nostalgia crowd, I'm not sure how long that's gonna last. Most of them are probably entering their 40s so, times-a-tickin.... And I don't think anime kids these days care for or even know about something dated like Robotech. I doubt it's the Macross crowd...obviously. Not enough mech-heads who aren't Gundam-nuts anyways...... So...who then?

Speaking of designed to fail, who is the target audience of Robotech these days anyways? If it's the nostalgia crowd, I'm not sure how long that's gonna last. Most of them are probably entering their 40s so, times-a-tickin.... And I don't think anime kids these days care for or even know about something dated like Robotech. I doubt it's the Macross crowd...obviously. Not enough mech-heads who aren't Gundam-nuts anyways...... So...who then?

See for yourself.

Yep... you're right on the money there, Az.

post-11946-0-29078600-1310363306_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrisk

Yep... 's far as anyone can tell, the key demographic that Harmony Gold is targeting with Robotech is that small and shrinking group of overly-nostalgic fans who got into the series during one of its brief stints on television and have yet to realize what a mess it is. I'd say, based on my own experience, that the average Robotech fan is somewhere in his (or her) early-to-mid thirties. But for the more devoted and unbalanced ones, there's been a general decline in interest in Robotech ever since people found out the hard way that Harmony Gold takes a dim view of criticism... particularly where Shadow Chronicles is concerned.

Looks to be at about a 2003 videogame level of animation/cg. That in itself is a step up from SC. I hope that's not actual music from the production though...

Looks to be at about a 2003 videogame level of animation/cg. That in itself is a step up from SC. I hope that's not actual music from the production though...

Kinda funny... that's exactly what I said about it when I first saw it. I said it looks more like an unused trailer for a proposed Robotech: Battlecry sequel (circa 2003) than a stand-alone OVA. That music is probably gonna be used in the actual production though... it's the generic Invid music from the Robotech TV series.

I wonder if the HG alarm has sounded yet though. "OH NOO'S, IT'S ON THE NET." How will they react to the non-believers seeing their new footage? Undoubtably the robotech.com hit counter will raise with this new footage being out. Can their servers handle it?

I wonder if the HG alarm has sounded yet though. "OH NOO'S, IT'S ON THE NET." How will they react to the non-believers seeing their new footage? Undoubtably the robotech.com hit counter will raise with this new footage being out. Can their servers handle it?

Won't matter as its on Facebook, YouTube and the (few) remaining websites where Robotech is even discussed anymore.

With Shadow Chronicles, I was sure the audience was loyal fans who wanted to see the overall story come to an end for once, especially after they were replacing the content in the novels. But yet again, it ended in another cliffhanger. It's probably still them with this, but they're doing a story few people expected or wanted at this point. I guess closure after 25 years isn't a priority at the moment.

So that's what they've been generating so much hype over? Like SC before it, I'll just wait until they let you stream it for free off of youtube or something.

But think of the amazing DVD bonus features you'll be missing. Contains interactive menu, full working chapter selection screen, sneak preview of the new Robotech documentary, and 30 second convention-exclusive trailers!!!!

Or perhaps you will be more inclined to invest in the Super Special Double-Triple Swirl DVD/Blu-ray edition? A "bonus" introduction by the Yune brothers, exclusive Robotech timeline and "Robopedia", original 85-episode guide, a handful of production art by "Studio Yune", Michael Bradely music videos and concert vids and a sneak preview of Speed Racer by boy wonder Tommy Yune!!!!!!!

Edited by chrisk

But think of the amazing DVD bonus features you'll be missing. Contains interactive menu, full working chapter selection screen, sneak preview of the new Robotech documentary, and 30 second convention-exclusive trailers!!!!

Or perhaps you will be more inclined to invest in the Super Special Double-Triple Swirl DVD/Blu-ray edition? A "bonus" introduction by the Yune brothers, exclusive Robotech timeline and "Robopedia", original 85-episode guide, a handful of production art by "Studio Yune", Michael Bradely music videos and concert vids and a sneak preview of Speed Racer by boy wonder Tommy Yune!!!!!!!

You forgot to mention that each DVD/Blu-ray comes with a sparkly Harmony Gold logo animation sequence.

You forgot to mention that each DVD/Blu-ray comes with a sparkly Harmony Gold logo animation sequence.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

And as an "Easter Egg" on the DVD...there will be a special "This is Your Life" segment featuring none other than Harmony Gold's Kevin McKeever.

From his humble beginnings as a chauffeur......right up to his (DEEP BREATH) "no talent wannabe of a wannabe PR guy...even though I yapped about the new animation only being available at conventions, I was still incompetent from it being leaked therefore making an idiot out of myself ONCE AGAIN on the Robotech.com forums" gig at Harmony Gold. B))

Duration of feature.....28 seconds. :unsure:

BTW...Hi Kevin!..Hi Memo!...Hi Mav!......Any good Robotech news lately??? :D

From the looks of the Trailer. It is only meant for the Fans Boys. Only people that have seen RT will understand the concept of the story. From the trailer. No new mecha or character designs. No new story to the fans. ANd the continual use of Mosepeda designs as they are the only designs they can use. And it saves them having to be creative. And the story is sort of locked as the RT story goes as the protoculture shappings show (just had to put that one in..lol) That there orginal story was supposed to end at the 85 episode mark. And there was no though of continuing it at the creation of the RT saga when it was completed. Only the end of the circle novel. Which made out that they were just continuing a circle.

ANd will not have the draw card to bring new fans into the fold like they hope. As it has been stated the kids these days don't want to watch anime 20+ years old.

And the release date will most likely be 6-12 months after promised in a Blu-ray/DVD Pack. With extra's that only the fan boys will be interested in...

So the magic question will they consider it a success? And it will probably be there sale in China that they are counting on to make the money.

That's my 2 cents worth

Did Shadow Chronicles teach you guys nothing? They are in no way shape or form obligated to comform to pre-existing animation. The whole beginning of SC omitted 90% of the main Mospeada cast in the redo scene. I also predict that Mint will be retconned to be a big fake titied midget, since the Yune crew seems terrified of anything of anything even remotely loli.

(Regarding leaked footage) IS UP IN THE INTERNET. SOMEONE WITH A HIDDEN CAMERA TOOK IT FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

SO IF YOU SEEN IT WHAT YOU THINK?

Link? If not, what should we search for to find it?
WHO PUT LINKS HERE GOT BANNED. SO SORRY... NO LINKS.
I am glad that I did not post the link. I love my Robotech.com and the only website I visit with this one is facebook

^_^

So, a moderator is trying to ban people who watch it, after baiting people to ask about it? Either they don't want fans, or we're witnessing more of the lack of growth on the evolution scale in thought processes. I would say it's sad, but it's funny to watch them panic over something that really doesn't change much of anything, except maybe compel some to either go see it at a convention, or forgo that need now that they've see the entire 30 seconds. Trust me, when I say that it's not too much more impressive in person. Looks decent, but it's not going to pump protoculture in you.

So, a moderator is trying to ban people who watch it, after baiting people to ask about it? Either they don't want fans, or we're witnessing more of the lack of growth on the evolution scale in thought processes. I would say it's sad, but it's funny to watch them panic over something that really doesn't change much of anything, except maybe compel some to either go see it at a convention [...]

That's it exactly... this has all the hallmarks of a harebrained scheme to boost interest in, and attendance at, the annual Robotech convention tour panel. Robotech.com's sycophantic mods are trying to invite discussion of the trailer, but are actively trying to stop fans from seeing the new footage without attending the panel. It's asinine, it's inherently counterproductive, and it demonstrates a complete and abject failure to understand the industry, the fandom, good marketing practices, and basic human nature... meaning it's almost guaranteed to have come from the desk (or rather, cubicle) of Kevin McKeever. :lol:

I see they're still getting used to this crazy thing called the "Internet." And phones that are cameras and video recorders.

Considering that the official website of the franchise hasn't seen any technological improvements or updates in the decade or so since it opened, that's probably truer than you think. The best part is that even though they've migrated servers to try and solve the crippling lag problems caused by their antiquated software, it still breaks down about once a week and locks up on a nightly basis for about an hour.

i'm currently about halfway through GEORGE ORWELL's "1984" my first time reading it, and it sure does smack me pretty damned hard of HG in general,

and how they run their RT.COM and all...

i'm currently about halfway through GEORGE ORWELL's "1984" my first time reading it, and it sure does smack me pretty damned hard of HG in general,

I would say that HG is more like Franz Kafka's The Trial.

I would say that HG is more like Franz Kafka's The Trial.

The difference of course being that RT.com members can CHOOSE to leave when it gets too crazy/oppressive/whatever...