HG and Robotech Debates

Or people like me, who were there only to hear the B.S. I think the only good thing was the documentary stuff they showed, which was decent. Somehow, no one from the Row boat techies there, have commented on the documentary. Must not be as important as HG wants you to think it is.

I hear ya. Did anybody... recognize you there? Make eye-contact with anybody on panel there? Any awkward conversations? That'd be awesome.

I hear ya. Did anybody... recognize you there? Make eye-contact with anybody on panel there? Any awkward conversations? That'd be awesome.

I know Steve was taking pics of the attendees before it started, or right when it started. When he pointed his camera in our direction, I put my two middle fingers close together, so you probably won't see that pic on rt.com. I'm sure they saw me, but there wasn't anything said. I don't really need to say anything. They know what I think, and I know what they think. I did notice though, that some of the fans that I've known throughout the years who were so pro HG now have a much more cynical view of the franchise. They didn't need to get that from here, or from others, just from hearing the trio talk. That's all I got from other people I see on occasion. No uncomfortable moments or anything like that.

That's an opinion and opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one.

Thank you. Now I know what to say to anyone who voices their opinion that Southern Cross toys should be made. :)

EDIT: Additionally, an oldie but goodie...I offer it to anyone who wants to use it:

post211112899033.jpg

Edited by Gubaba

Did you notice that the clip got taken down on Youtube? I actually got a a rude comment back to me because I said

Yack Deculture
this is ROBOTECH, so take your "deculture" and put it in your ass

Seriously, why can't RT and Macross fans just get along? I like both. I just like unfiltered Macross more, but I have nothing bad to say about Robotech.

Edited by mrhillz

I'm surprised HG actually acted upon this. Makes you wonder why they haven't claimed copyright infringement on the thousands of users who illegally upload RT episodes on a daily basis.

Thought RT episodes were up there thanks to Manga Ent. Or do you mean the Movie and Sentinels?

Was I just called an a-hole? That's double funny because I praised and criticized some of the designs. Gee I sounded pretty fair. Unless I'm only quoted for the a-hole part and it is double funny cause I'm a Mod.

The clip maybe down, but you can still find it all over the place. Tell a friend, if it's worth mentioning. I found another angle, but the screen is a little smaller. Gotta go on youtube to find it again.

Be prepaired, the next HG convention panel will have Mckeever walking around with a box collecting everyones cell phones, which will result in only 2 people attending!

Brooklyn Reg Leg doesn't actually like Southern Cross. He just uses it as a masturbatory fantasy for his sci-fi military fanfics.

Nah... to be fair, he is actually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to what little official information exists for the Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross series. It's just a little hard to take him completely seriously when he point-blank refuses to accept that virtually nobody gives a damn about Southern Cross and that it was a failure in Japan and in the international market, or when the official info he presents is so thoroughly embroidered with baseless supposition and fan-fiction that it loses any value it might've had in the first place (e.g. "the Sylphid Veritech").

Was I just called an apeface? That's double funny because I praised and criticized some of the designs. Gee I sounded pretty fair. Unless I'm only quoted for the apeface part and it is double funny cause I'm a Mod.

No, he wasn't belittling you... just your opinion.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Nah... to be fair, he is actually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to what little official information exists for the Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross series.

Being able to recall DVD liner notes doesn't impress me. It's not like he's translating TIA Southern Cross.

(e.g. "the Sylphid Veritech").

Yeah that's the height of his delusions. Taking obsessive screen shots and pointing out seam lines as if they reveal the secrets of transformation in a throwaway design is pretty much the sign of a mental illness. The Sylphid is the transforming robot only he can see and hear.

Being able to recall DVD liner notes doesn't impress me. It's not like he's translating TIA Southern Cross.

Yeah that's the height of his delusions. Taking obsessive screen shots and pointing out seam lines as if they reveal the secrets of transformation in a throwaway design is pretty much the sign of a mental illness. The Sylphid is the transforming robot only he can see and hear.

If one can actually hear one, that must be pretty impressive. I think in all my tenure as a fan, I've not once heard a Valkyrie fly overhead. :p

Speaking as someone who once put in a little (wasted) time against This is Animation: Southern Cross, I think I'd probably be more impressed by the ability to clearly recall the liner notes. As you'd expect from a Southern Cross publication, the show's TIA book can only honestly be called an egregious waste of paper and ink.

Oh, I agree... it's an ailment that only seems to get worse the longer the victim remains an avid Robotech fan. Over time, they get more and more out of touch with Robotech as they form an ever-increasing number of baseless theories to spackle over the plot holes and dialogue errors in the Robotech TV series. At some ill-defined point, it reaches critical mass and they completely lose touch with the series... becoming more like fans of their own Robotech fan-fiction than the show itself.

Ouch.

By all rights, you shouldn't have any friends.

OK, defriending, oh wait, this isn't facebook. Hahahaha, (j/k)

The issue of classifying the RT fandom in just a paragraph or two is a little short sided, especially considering the various fandoms out there. There are those that only are fans of what they've created out of a franchise that created their franchise from other franchises (sounds confusing, right?) Then there are those that seem more fans of the debates they create, and not the actual show itself (reminds me of a certain podcaster and a couple mods). There's the super gullible "I just want to believe" fans, the cynial fans, the emo/bitter fans, and then the fans that just don't give a flying f!@k. Not all fan classifications fit into the same conclusion.

There's probably more of them that fit into combinations, but usually have elements of one more than the others. I'd probably say I'm more cynical, but also can fall into the "I don't give a flying F..." category. Doesn't mean I don't like what the franchise used to be, cause I do, very much. But you won't see me in line, waiting for the next rpg, or next chinese TPB to hit my door.

OK, defriending, oh wait, this isn't facebook. Hahahaha, (j/k)

The issue of classifying the RT fandom in just a paragraph or two is a little short sided, especially considering the various fandoms out there. There are those that only are fans of what they've created out of a franchise that created their franchise from other franchises (sounds confusing, right?) Then there are those that seem more fans of the debates they create, and not the actual show itself (reminds me of a certain podcaster and a couple mods). There's the super gullible "I just want to believe" fans, the cynial fans, the emo/bitter fans, and then the fans that just don't give a flying f!@k. Not all fan classifications fit into the same conclusion.

There's probably more of them that fit into combinations, but usually have elements of one more than the others. I'd probably say I'm more cynical, but also can fall into the "I don't give a flying F..." category. Doesn't mean I don't like what the franchise used to be, cause I do, very much. But you won't see me in line, waiting for the next rpg, or next chinese TPB to hit my door.

Of course, the easy solution is not to be a Robotech fan. Like, at all.

It works for me, and it seems to work for Keith and VF5SS. :)

Of course, the easy solution is not to be a Robotech fan. Like, at all.

It works for me, and it seems to work for Keith and VF5SS. :)

Well, there's always that option too. Seems like those characteristics above would probably transfer into any fandom that the individual takes on. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them that are also Dr. Who fans, also believe their fanfics of that series are better than the books/show, and are more fans of the fanfic than the actual property.

I did like the original incarnation of Robotech, and it did some good things back then, like make many Macross and Mospeada fans out of a good number of us, although, I was already a Macross fan before Robotech hit the airwaves. Robotech just stapled it there, and gave me Mospeada as another one to enjoy.

While being laid up in bed with a case of tonsillitis that refuses to go away, I took the plunge last night and watched Shadow Chronicles on Netflix. There isn't anything I could add that you guys haven't already covered 1,000 times over in the past few years, so I'll just say "lawl."

Ouch.

you're still my friend, right?

seriously though I'm just rallying against Seto's constant hatred of Southern Cross. I know the Masters Saga totally raped everyone's childhood because Harmony Gold promised more Macross and couldn't deliver. But really, Southern Cross is far from the worst series out there. Taken on its own the worst thing about it is it's just another mecha series. Taken as part of the Super Dimension franchise it's still just ok. I mean I watched Orguss and that show has its own problems for sure. I've gone over in at least one iteration of this thread as to why the Robotech version of Southern Cross is terrible but we all know that. And we know the amazing irony that the most hated part of Robotech has the most core ideas of Robotech in it.

Really we're all just going around in circles. Perhaps heading towards our own end of circle.

While being laid up in bed with a case of tonsillitis that refuses to go away, I took the plunge last night and watched Shadow Chronicles on Netflix. There isn't anything I could add that you guys haven't already covered 1,000 times over in the past few years, so I'll just say "lawl."

The worst part, you couldn't even scream for help :)

I can; Happy 5th! Birthday to Shadow Chronicles in advance, that crazy little experiment by HG to essentially say "Screw You" to legitimate anime. And look where it has led since.

Mark your calenders, Wikipedia says it's August 26.

Edited by Einherjar

The worst part, you couldn't even scream for help :)

Haha, it's not that bad, it's just that the antibiotics aren't totally clearing it.

I guess I can't say I was surprised as to how bad it was, but wow, that was horrid even by fan-fiction standards. And I'm not even sure the CGI is up to Macross VF-X FMV quality (nevermind VF-X2).

Edited by Duke Togo

Haha, it's not that bad, it's just that the antibiotics aren't totally clearing it.

I guess I can't say I was surprised as to how bad it was, but wow, that was horrid even by fan-fiction standards. And I'm not even sure the CGI is up to Macross VF-X FMV quality (nevermind VF-X2).

I'd place the CG more towards the Last Starfighter end of the spectrum myself. The best part of the movie is picturing Mark Hammil laughing all the way to the bank.

can't be any worse than the dreck written in TIA Macross II amirite

:p

seriously though I'm just rallying against Seto's constant hatred of Southern Cross. I know the Masters Saga totally raped everyone's childhood because Harmony Gold promised more Macross and couldn't deliver. But really, Southern Cross is far from the worst series out there.

Oh, I wouldn't say that I hate the Southern Cross series... it's more like I find it intensely disappointing. I'll admit, I certainly had no love for the Masters Saga when I first watched Robotech (and still don't), but I left most of my antipathy for it behind after I watched Southern Cross in its unedited form. Bereft of the annoying alterations, Southern Cross had a decent concept and passable story going for it... but the good bits are concealed behind a battlement of bad mecha design and guarded by a largely unlikeable cast. The overriding impression I got when I was digging into the few existing Southern Cross publications was that if any one factor is responsible for the show's low quality and premature demise, it would be the apathy of its creators. They don't seem to have put much thought into anything but the generalities of the series, and it shows in This is Animation: Southern Cross. Something like half of the book is filler that has nothing to do with the content of the series, and the rest is disappointingly light on actual content. The same goes for what little else was printed about the show.

Incidentally, I'm well aware that Southern Cross is far from the worst series out there. Hell, I have worse sitting on the shelves with the rest of my anime collection. (Angel Links being a perfect example...)

Hah. Go away little boy. I've gotten insults far worse than anything YOU can dream up.

Dude, there's like 25 years of anime out there that has been made after southern cross, go watch some dude.

In other news, hey look, I found the robotech movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/

Edited by Keith

aw brookie, i thought you had me set to ignore.

Seriously though I've seen his posts at the Palladium forums. To him, Robotech (the Masters especially) exists as some kind of bizarre mixture of fanfic speculation and weird ass interpretations.

Please go ahead and tell us why you think the Slyphid transforms. Show me where the fists are stored. You know you want to convince all us heathen fans why we're wrong.