HG and Robotech Debates

Keith... Wow, Pacific Rim for 2013. The plot looks so similar to Robotech that I can see no way that Warner Brothers could justify investing money in both projects. Looks like the RT-LAM may really, finally, be kaput.

And it's directed my Guillermo del Toro. This isn't a "B" level picture/typical mindless summer actioner.

OK, defriending, oh wait, this isn't facebook. Hahahaha, (j/k)

The issue of classifying the RT fandom in just a paragraph or two is a little short sided, especially considering the various fandoms out there. There are those that only are fans of what they've created out of a franchise that created their franchise from other franchises (sounds confusing, right?) Then there are those that seem more fans of the debates they create, and not the actual show itself (reminds me of a certain podcaster and a couple mods). There's the super gullible "I just want to believe" fans, the cynial fans, the emo/bitter fans, and then the fans that just don't give a flying f!@k. Not all fan classifications fit into the same conclusion.

There's probably more of them that fit into combinations, but usually have elements of one more than the others. I'd probably say I'm more cynical, but also can fall into the "I don't give a flying F..." category. Doesn't mean I don't like what the franchise used to be, cause I do, very much. But you won't see me in line, waiting for the next rpg, or next chinese TPB to hit my door.

indeed, ROBOTECH was my Gateway, as it was for many other somewhat older/to older U.S. Anime fans out there.

technically, i was introduced to ROBOTECH via MACROSS, as my actual entry point was via a copy of the old ARII 1/100 VF-1J Hikaru GERWALK.

that model sparked my interest, and led me to discovering ROBOTECH via the PALLADIUM RPG BOOK ONE.

that book in turn led me to the 1990's edition, double-episode per volume ROBOTECH VHS editions at my local SUNCOAST VIDEO.

not long after, i was steered back to MACROSS, by way of MANGA VIDEO's editions of MACROSS II and MACROSS PLUS; THE MOVIE.

from then on, i became a MACROSS fan first and foremost, putting up with ROBOTECH only because it was the only way i had

to experience MACROSS, and to a lesser important degree, MOSPEADA.

today, i am complete MACROSS fan, with a mild interest in the MACROSS segment of ROBOTECH, only as a sentimental curiosity.

as such, i've been gradually building myself a tidy little collection of the various incarnations of SDF MACROSS by way of ROBOTECH;

MACROSS-ROBOTECHVIDEOcollection-7-17-11.jpg

i have no modern interest in ROBOTECH, curiosity or otherwise, as i've never been a fan of "American Anime"

the japanese invented Anime, and only they know how to do it, and cultural differences have proven to be MAJOR component of that factor.

as a result, the ONLY thing that America at large knows what to do with the Asian Artform is to royally F&%k it over, well beyond any reasonable recognition...

Edited by Shaorin

I spy US Renditions VHS releases. Ah, the good ol' days.

Funny, I have a lot of those VHS releases in storage as well, including that DYRL there as well. Good stuff, Shaorin. Takes me back to the days of the hunt. ;)

MACROSS-ROBOTECHVIDEOcollection-7-17-11.jpg

i have no modern interest in ROBOTECH, curiosity or otherwise, as i've never been a fan of "American Anime"

the japanese invented Anime, and only they know how to do it, and cultural differences have proven to be MAJOR component of that factor.

as a result, the ONLY thing that America at large knows what to do with the Asian Artform is to royally F&%k it over, well beyond any reasonable recognition...

So say we all. Sweet collection by the way!

In other news, hey look, I found the robotech movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663662/

The press are dubbing it a "monster movie", and its about "...a group of humans who use piloted robots to defend earth from an extraterrestrial force." It stars Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba and Charlie Day and is being released by Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros this 2013.

Gee.

Good thing Robotech fans have a sidequel this 2012, eh?

The fanfic boys at HG will develop an "improved" script for it, create a new English audio track following said script, and rerelease it as "Robotech."

Edited by Duke Togo

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Toby Mcguirre must be a secret huge Macross fan. Not only did he swoop in and single handledly raise the hopes of the remaining robotech fanbase, but also successfully crushed them in the same fell swoop. Well played sir, well played. As suspected when Battle LA came out, Warner only wanted the license to quell any potential legal actual action due to vague story similarities.

Cause? Despite what certain people on this website actually believe, this is hardly my cause. Its a hobby. Something to pass the time. By far and away it is not my cause. There are far more important things in the world than my hobby.

Have you gotten around to those more important things yet?

Cause? Despite what certain people on this website actually believe, this is hardly my cause. Its a hobby. Something to pass the time. By far and away it is not my cause. There are far more important things in the world than my hobby.

Don't you know that this stuff is IMPORTANT?? You can't just make a hobby out of something like a.... cartoon! It has to be political, backstabbing and full of all sorts of drama!!! Otherwise, you're just not doing it right.

Each message board as to be on a side of a battle, and everyone posting there has to be on one side or other of that message board's side. And every post has explain your side, if not, it will default that side.

I'm joking.

Well clearly that statement did exactly what it was suppose to, which is to sidestep the issues with this guy.

What good does being able to take worse insults do?

And the bigger issue is why insist that the people, doing a miserable job at trying to reinvigorate a franchise, use something that so little people are interested in? It's a lose/lose for Southern Cross fans. Which is and always be the case for anyone that has any hopes of new SC anything.

On the subject of being a Robotech fan. Shaorin put in the best way. I'm a fan with no modern interest. I can't undo running home everyday from school to watch Robotech and loving it. But almost immediately I started gravitating to the source material. I think it was seeing even the badly dubbed Clash Of the Bionoids that actually made me want to seek out more Macross. I wached it so many times that the songs DYRL and Angel's Paints video at the end just stuck to everyone's head in my house. Even my mom used to whistle it when she was in the kitchen (that and Social D's Prison Bound :lol) ) And when they released those VHSs with half Robotech and half japanese versions, I tried to collect them. Of course that was the first of HGs of many failures only to be punctuated by the MPC toys, which to me was the death knell of my RT fandom.

Well clearly that statement did exactly what it was suppose to, which is to sidestep the issues with this guy.

And the bigger issue is why insist that the people, doing a miserable job at trying to reinvigorate a franchise, use something that so little people are interested in? It's a lose/lose for Southern Cross fans. Which is and always be the case for anyone that has any hopes of new SC anything.

On the subject of being a Robotech fan. Shaorin put in the best way. I'm a fan with no modern interest. I can't undo running home everyday from school to watch Robotech and loving it. But almost immediately I started gravitating to the source material. I think it was seeing even the badly dubbed Clash Of the Bionoids that actually made me want to seek out more Macross. I wached it so many times that the songs DYRL and Angel's Paints video at the end just stuck to everyone's head in my house. Even my mom used to whistle it when she was in the kitchen (that and Social D's Prison Bound :lol) ) And when they released those VHSs with half Robotech and half japanese versions, I tried to collect them. Of course that was the first of HGs of many failures only to be punctuated by the MPC toys, which to me was the death knell of my RT fandom.

I guess I'm kinda lucky that my fandom into macross actually started with Macross 2, instead of Robotech like everyone else. Robotech was never syndicated here. I actually never saw any Robotech until it came on Cartoon Network a few years later. By then I knew of the difference, and had already seen Macross Plus and the uncut, but dubbed DYRL . Right now I'm actually watching through Mospeada, and liking it just as well as the Robotech version.

Edited by mrhillz

I don't consider being a robotech fan back in the day as unfortunate. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Coming from the Philippines I knew it was watered down. They altered every anime (Voltron, BotP, Tranzor/Mazinger Z) so I was aware of it even while watching it back then. But I DO think that insisting on being an RT fan today makes no sense whatsoever.

Have you gotten around to those more important things yet?

As a matter of fact, yes.

As opposed to what? Run to the moderators because someone said something mean to me on the internet?

And the bigger issue is why insist that the people, doing a miserable job at trying to reinvigorate a franchise, use something that so little people are interested in?

Hope springs eternal.

As opposed to what? Run to the moderators because someone said something mean to me on the internet?

I'm not saying you should back down at every insult but at the point where you're just keeping tabs at how bad the insults are then maybe just STFU is a better alternative than to come running to the mods.

Hope springs eternal.

Who ever said that obviously waited forever.

Hope springs eternal.

Or to put it another way, setting yourself up for a series of guaranteed disappointments is one way to pass the time.:rolleyes:

I was an odd duck coming out of Robotech; I was a MOSPEADA fan. This is probably largely due to a toy store called Children's Palace. They had a section of the store that I swear was just Japanese toys. They didn't have a lot of Macross stuff, but they always seemed to have a bunch if MOSPEADA stuff. And I don't mean Robotech branded toys. (The other series' toy line that sticks out to me that they carried was Orguss). So, my loyalties went with the toys I had (though, I did have a Jetfire that I loved the hell out of).

I didn't really get into Macross until I saw Clash in '90 (think it was '90, 9th grade). I was well aware that a lot of the animated shows I was watching were Japanese going back into the early 80's. My love of anime doesn't have a lot to do with Robotech, but it definitely fed it.

I was an odd duck coming out of Robotech; I was a MOSPEADA fan. This is probably largely due to a toy store called Children's Palace. They had a section of the store that I swear was just Japanese toys. They didn't have a lot of Macross stuff, but they always seemed to have a bunch if MOSPEADA stuff. And I don't mean Robotech branded toys. (The other series' toy line that sticks out to me that they carried was Orguss). So, my loyalties went with the toys I had (though, I did have a Jetfire that I loved the hell out of).

I remember seeing MOSPEADA toys in Toys R Us back in the early days. In fact, back then, Toys R Us had quite a lot of anime robot toys back then. I remember seeing robots from Dorvack, Dougram, Dunbine, and a few other robots that I don't even remember the names of. Hell, I remember even seeing a Dancouga toy in a Kaybee, too.

I remember seeing MOSPEADA toys in Toys R Us back in the early days. In fact, back then, Toys R Us had quite a lot of anime robot toys back then. I remember seeing robots from Dorvack, Dougram, Dunbine, and a few other robots that I don't even remember the names of. Hell, I remember even seeing a Dancouga toy in a Kaybee, too.

I could kick myself for not pressuring my parents to buy me that large scale Scott Bernard with Cyclone armor when I saw it at Toys-R-Us. I did buy the green Alpha fighter before New Generation aired on television. Does anybody remember the miniture Macross models sold at Kay-Bee toys? They were the 3 transformation of Valkyrie in DYRL style painted white. I bought the fighter mode but both Gerwalk & Battroid was available.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I don't consider being a robotech fan back in the day as unfortunate. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Coming from the Philippines I knew it was watered down. They altered every anime (Voltron, BotP, Tranzor/Mazinger Z) so I was aware of it even while watching it back then. But I DO think that insisting on being an RT fan today makes no sense whatsoever.

Really, Where did you watch Robotech here? I remember macross when I was in the 2nd Grade, possibly 83 or 84 on RPN-9.

Really, Where did you watch Robotech here? I remember macross when I was in the 2nd Grade, possibly 83 or 84 on RPN-9.

I came to the US 1980. But having seen anime shows in the Philippines. All the anime shows here were all revised in some form. So Robotech's "bastardization" didn't bother me that much.

Whenever I hear these statements, I'm taken back to a high school class on the use of illegal drugs.

It was said that Alcohol and Tobacco were the 'gateway' drugs, leading into harsher stuff like weed, cocaine, heroin, etc.

WEll, the same could be said for RT. It's the 'gateway' anime that a lot of folks had back in the day, including me. It led the way to the proper appreciation of Macross, as well as opening the door to other titles, like Gundam (and that other Gundam, the Gundam that's not really Gundam, and the Gundam that's sorta like Gundam, but not really), and a whole lot of other stuff.

Seriously, though, for my own part, I look at a lot of these people that hang on to RT for the nostalgia value, and I wonder "Why? For F***'s sake, WHY?!?"

Seriously, though, for my own part, I look at a lot of these people that hang on to RT for the nostalgia value, and I wonder "Why? For F***'s sake, WHY?!?"

And at the same time, why appeal to a dwindling fan base? But as for the question of why? For the very reason you mentioned, nostalgia. Everything was always great back then. This magically show with "adult" themes and transforming machines, things blowing up, yadda yadda yadda. People want to relive that. Everything was blissful back then.

But that's only 1 answer to the question.

I see why 1st wasn't able to post for a very long time.

No, its because I can't play well with others when they get on a call-in show about Robotech and claim something I didn't claim. I don't take attempted public smearing very well. That's why I couldn't post for a long time. Which again goes back to why certain people care when they claim they don't?

If there is anything I couldn't get, is that if they think RT is superior to any Macross Series (including the original), why cause a roadblock of Macross in the U.S.. I mean if I think my product is superior, I would even let the competition in and see them get beaten again and again...

Since I haven't seen RT, I wanted to ask something.

Did the original animators get credited (as in listed) in the opening and closing credits of RT?

For Me, it's still weird to trademark something you didn't create, and take credit for designs that weren't yours in the first place...

Oh well...

If there is anything I couldn't get, is that if they think RT is superior to any Macross Series (including the original), why cause a roadblock of Macross in the U.S.. I mean if I think my product is superior, I would even let the competition in and see them get beaten again and again...

Since I haven't seen RT, I wanted to ask something.

Did the original animators get credited (as in listed) in the opening and closing credits of RT?

For Me, it's still weird to trademark something you didn't create, and take credit for designs that weren't yours in the first place...

Oh well...

Pfft...of course they didn't. Carl Macek got all the credit.

Here, compare:

and

Edited by Gubaba