X-Men: First Class

Zor Primus

Huh? :unsure:

I think some people are upset about the scene were shaw talks about mutants being slaves and then the camera zooms in on the one black dude in the whole movie... <_<

Though, I would hardly call that being racist, more like that the movie tries to hard to make sure everyone gets that "mutant" is code for "minority"

I think some people are upset about the scene were shaw talks about mutants being slaves and then the camera zooms in on the one black dude in the whole movie... <_<

Though, I would hardly call that being racist, more like that the movie tries to hard to make sure everyone gets that "mutant" is code for "minority"

I saw one show (I can't remember which one; could've been a news program aired when the first X-Men movie came out) that compared mutantcy to homosexuality (I know the I Love the 80's called He-Man and the Masters of the Univese to being close to homoerotic as a kid's cartoon can get in an tongue-in-cheek sort of way).

Missed that completely...not sure why it would be racist if its a historical fact that blacks were slaves. Seriously though being a minority member myself some people are way too sensitive for their own good.

As for the "other cameo"...

if they showed Storm as pre-teen its a safe bet this reboot will have her maybe take the lead in the future as there is until now no mention of Scott.

I saw one show (I can't remember which one; could've been a news program aired when the first X-Men movie came out) that compared mutantcy to homosexuality (I know the I Love the 80's called He-Man and the Masters of the Univese to being close to homoerotic as a kid's cartoon can get in an tongue-in-cheek sort of way).

yeah, I was using minority as a catch all but obviously the movies draws parallels between mutants and homosexuals. Beast even has his line, "They didn't ask, so I didn't tell"

I noticed something missing: where's the toy line for this movie?

I was wondering about that myself; that BlackBird would've been a cool toy.

As for the movie itself? Watching the mutants in action I couldn't help but feel I was watching Mutant X from the 90's; that's not a compliment btw...

Missed that completely...not sure why it would be racist if its a historical fact that blacks were slaves. Seriously though being a minority member myself some people are way too sensitive for their own good.

As for the "other cameo"...

if they showed Storm as pre-teen its a safe bet this reboot will have her maybe take the lead in the future as there is until now no mention of Scott.

I noticed that to but I wasn't offended; just they were driving the point home that mutants are an oppressed minority like others. Bryan Singer had said he wants to concentrate more on the Civil Rights movement if there'll be a sequel.

I think the racist comments may be more to the fact that

the black guy dies first, and the black chick turns evil. But that first fact is probably more a reflection of Shaw's mentality than anything else

I believe the "black chick" was supposed to be Hispanic. The character's name is Angel Salvadore.

As for Racism in this Movie.

The Black guy was the most heroic in the scene. The young mutants were all scaried of the more powerful Bacon Mutants. He at least decided to do something about it. As for the girl joining them this is taking place in the 1960s. It isn't a time of equality. Perhaps she felt wrong by the System and Bacon's words appealed to her. A Mutant is already an outsider. Combine with being a minority is like double. Bacon knew that.

I didn't see or feel any rascism and I can usually pick up on it *cough Revenge of the Fallen cough*. I felt the characters were strong, and though the two minorities didn't last long at the end of the day it's not as though they were major X-men anyway, they took through away characters from Grant Morrison's run to add more color to the film.

In regards to the non-existent toy line. Fox has the film rights to the x franchise. Marvel owns most of their other hollywood properties so its easier for them to have toys and other merchadise made. Though Hasbro did release a 3.75 inch line for Wolverine. Hasbro had a few figures (Jean Grey, cyclops,beast,Juggernaut, Wolvie)from X3 in their Marvel legends line. I can't wait for the marvel legends line to be rereleased in 2012. Most movie line toys such anywany. I look at the Thor and Green Lantern lines and ponder who are these toys marketed to. Most collectors are only going to purchase comic styled characters.

I look at the Thor and Green Lantern lines and ponder who are these toys marketed to. Most collectors are only going to purchase comic styled characters.

You know, I've heard... and this is going to sound totally crazy but just here me out... I heard that sometimes... :unsure:

...They sell toys TO KIDS. :o

I know it sounds patently ridiculous and frankly I'm not 100% convinced this is true myself, but I've heard from fairly reliable sources that some toys are actually aimed at kids... to play with. :wacko:

Edited by anime52k8

As for the racism of the movie, it's set during the early sixties, right before the Civil Rights Bill was passed into law (the Cuban Missle Crisis was shown in the trailer, if I'm not mistaken).

I haven't seen the movie yet (nor have I seen III, but from what I've heard of that film it pisses off just about every X-Men fan out there), so I can't really comment on it. I just might wait until it comes out on either Netflix or video.

Watched the movie last evening with a friend, and I can say it's money well spent! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, cause I make it a point, whenever I'm watching an action flick, especially if it involves superheroes, leave all logic behind! Just sit back, absorb the show, and if it's a good or bad movie, you will just know.

And I think I also spotted

Scott Summers

cameo in the Cerebro sequence.

I just watched this along with super 8, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable movie. My only grip is that it would have been a heck of movie even if it just focused on Magneto and his quest for revenge. As for it being a reboot I'm not 100% certain on it. If anything it might fit into continuity with just the first X-men movie and the rest of the series(II, III, origins) will be retconned.

I saw the film last night at the Alamo Drafthouse and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a huge x-men fan, and I was reticent about seeing the film. But once I heard some of the positive reviews I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad that I did. The movie isn't flawless, but it's an enjoyable summer flick. Which is all you can expect for a summer release now a days. I really enjoyed the action pieces and magento. This is the best depiction of the mutants powers in all of the x-men films with the exception of the beginning of X2.

Bryan Singer isn't rebooting the X-franchise. The movie is a prequel to X-mmen 1 and 2. He's stated that First class ignores Wolverine origins and X3 thankflully.

I thought it was good but the writing could have been better. Was it better than thor? No.

Kevin Bacon stole the movie imo.

Scott Summers

I saw him The kid with the sunglasses to left of the little girl I'm presuming to be Jean Grey

I saw the film last night at the Alamo Drafthouse and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a huge x-men fan, and I was reticent about seeing the film. But once I heard some of the positive reviews I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad that I did. The movie isn't flawless, but it's an enjoyable summer flick. Which is all you can expect for a summer release now a days. I really enjoyed the action pieces and magento. This is the best depiction of the mutants powers in all of the x-men films with the exception of the beginning of X2.

Bryan Singer isn't rebooting the X-franchise. The movie is a prequel to X-mmen 1 and 2. He's stated that First class ignores Wolverine origins and X3 thankflully.

But Singer still didn't get the time line correct.

Brian Singer= Jeph Loeb

I never said the film was perfect. It's very flawed like many a blockbuster in many aspects. X-men 1 shows Beast in Human form on the TV. Some of these things, you have to kinda let them go. Just a good summer movie. The time period is a homage to x-men's comic release in 1963. One characters death is also kinda a homgae to one of the recent comics. Much like the movie, they died in their 1st mission. I've started to think of comic book movies in same vein as the Marvel ultimates universe.

As a person of color I wasn't offended by the uses/decisions of Darwin and Angel. I thik that there should've been a scene or 2 to really give the viewer a feel of what it must've been like to be a minority at that time period. Shaw really played on that, and I think it's what makes his arguement compelling. But I don't think that today's younger audience really appreciates the racial/ sexual tension of the movies time period. It's really essential for the premise to work. Mystique isn't a good example against this because her character could choose to look like anyone she wanted to. All of the main characters even mystique could easily 'fit' if they chose too.

Edited by Golden Arms

I thik that there should've been a scene or 2 to really give the viewer a feel of what it must've been like to be a minority at that time period. Shaw really played on that, and I think it's what makes his arguement compelling.

Then ppl would be crying about how they shouldn't have made those scenes. (stupid PC world)

Then ppl would be crying about how they shouldn't have made those scenes. (stupid PC world)

I don't think so. I think most people would understand. I think my only minor grip is that when you think about the mutants being metaphors for minorities/gays and lesbians,etc. in all of the films most of the mutants look like extras from an Ambercrombie and Fitch ad. I.e. pretty and glamorous. I wished they would've explored the mutant character that is so visibly an mutant and not necessary attractive in any light. They did this with the Morlocks in the comics.

My only problem with the movie is that all the hot chicks are on Magneto's side. They need to off set this by maybe adding Polaris, Scarlet Witch, Lila Cheney, or even Dazzler as X-Men.

Well that makes sense. Professors X might be able to know what a woman wants but he's like totally dead from the waist down. Think about what kinda kinky stuff Magneto can do with those magentic powers.

Polaris would be cool. I'd like to see Psylocke,and Karma. Dazzler could really work in the current time period. The film makers have been pretty good about choosing characters that don't share too many similar powers, so Polaris and Psylocke may not be good choices.

I think with what they did with Sebastian Shaw, it makes it very difficult for them to have Mr Sinister or Apocalypse as future villians.

Polaris would be cool. I'd like to see Psylocke,and Karma. Dazzler could really work in the current time period. The film makers have been pretty good about choosing characters that don't share too many similar powers, so Polaris and Psylocke may not be good choices.

I think with what they did with Sebastian Shaw, it makes it very difficult for them to have Mr Sinister or Apocalypse as future villians.

Unless they decide to make him Apocolypse in disguise. But really, would Apocolypse work as a movie character?

Unless they decide to make him Apocolypse in disguise. But really, would Apocolypse work as a movie character?

I think they were already hinting at mr sinister and apocolypse in this movie. Shaw's fascination with evolution and unlocking powers fits neatly into their mythology.

Specifically as he is in the comics, Apocalypse is a little too grandiose for the scale of the X-Men movie universe, IMHO. There's no reason you couldn't have some movie version of him... first mutant ever, immortal, etc., just not so epic. You'd have to do something in particular to make him stand out from Magneto, or he'd be just another human-hating mutant with a genocidal agenda. However, if it's true that Singer is ignoring Last Stand and Wolverine, Apocalypse could be introduced as a shadowy character that comes out from behind the scenes to aid Magneto. Or, if they were to focus more on Apocalypse' and Sinister's frequent abuse of mutants to further their own ends, they could end up being mutant villains that X-Men and Brotherhood might team up against. I could get behind a story like that. There's also a possibility, though I'd be less intrigued by it, that Sinister or Apocalypse could be used to introduce younger versions of Xavier and Magneto (the old cloning trope), rather than try to replace the aging Stewart and McKellan. Not that I'm promoting that.

I'm seriously jazzed by the possibilities of the rumoured X4 and X5 if Last Stand is no longer part of the picture. For one, 'cause Cyclops is my favourite X-man, but even more importantly, could we actually see a decent take on the Dark Phoenix story?

No. The Phoenix saga is not easily translated to screen. And it requires the hellfire club. Not to mention that it starts out Harry Potter-ish then goes into star trek.

Actually, that's why I wrote "Dark Phoenix story" instead of referencing the whole Phoenix saga. There's no way they should try to adapt the original story verbatim. SFX being what they are, it's certainly possible, and of course it would be an incoherent mess. But the core of that story (pre-"it wasn't really Jean"-retcon), about a young woman unable to cope with godlike powers, the toll it takes on her friends and the man she loves... that could be well-told by a decent writer. I mean, the flash of the phoenix signature at the end of X2 implied that Singer had something in mind, and I don't think it would have involved the Shi'ar or exterminating a planet full of broccoli people.

Of course, to get it right, it would have to involve Scott and Jean much more than Logan, and I don't think the casual fans or Fox execs could conceive of that, concsidering how successfully they turned Last Stand into Wolverine guest-starring the X-Men. Or do we lay all that at Ratner's feet?

Edited by Penguin

Loved the movie, they finally did what was missing in the other movies, make Magneto a strong mutant ;). Also really liked professor x. Acting seemed great. Only thing i would say negatively is that they shoudl have let the fight between Magneto and Shaw go on longer without the help of professor x interfering.

My opinion on Apocalypse is, dont do it. As mentioned, he is too "grandiose" to be filtered down to a movie. Already, magneto/pheonex/jugernault were filtered down, donot do this with Apocalypse, cause he is at the highest level of awsomeness / vilanery there is. Sinister on the other hand is no problem ;), though yea, without Apocalyspe, dont care much for him.

• 2 months later...

I clould not find a thread for X-men first class but I have a question Does Oliver Platt play Kelly Johnson (designer of the SR-71) or is he suposed to be a some anonimouse Man in Back because he died in the movie?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34547 and he's listed as "The Man in black" in the credits.

Watched the movie last evening with a friend, and I can say it's money well spent! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, cause I make it a point, whenever I'm watching an action flick, especially if it involves superheroes, leave all logic behind! Just sit back, absorb the show, and if it's a good or bad movie, you will just know.

Scott Summers

I should say so, since he's a founding member of X-Men (as well as Jean Grey, Iceman, The Angel, and The Beast).