YF-29 (canon, in-series info)

sketchley

It makes sense since the VF-9 is just a regular old valk and the rest are all Advanced VFs or greater. So the VF-9 is named after a dinky little cutlass while the rest are named after mythical swords lol

but this one doesn't have forward swept wings. :unsure:

But it's a variant of a base model with forward swept wings *shrug*

Edited by Raptor One

Yes, a few days ago. We've been discussing it in the YF-29 toy thread. It's Durendal or Durandal, named after the legendary mythical French sword.

Kawamori seems to have a mythical sword thing going at the moment.

Graham

Its a trend. All the "9" series VFs are forward swept fighters with sword names.

I'm sure at some point he'll break out of this trend just "because"...:p

Studying the line art of the YF-29, I'm surprised the wing-mounted engine nacelles don't feature dorsal and ventral verniers. I would have thought that would have been an no-brainer to improve roll rate in both space and atmosphere?

The Tornado pack has dorsal and ventral verniers on the wing-tip engine nacelles, so why not the Durandal?

Graham

(Y)VF-29_Durendal_3D-CAD-5view

4bc1fdeb19ee9f9c.jpg

Shoji-Kawamori said "VF-X9 number are swept-wings more atmosphic Variable-Fighter(VF-9,VF-19,and NOW! (Y)VF-29) variants than VF-X7 number variants(VF-7,VF-17/171,VF-27... etc.)"

(Y)VF-29_Durendal 3D-CAD " Plus 1,LOW view " (6view) ,but small size!

432176ade698db6c.jpg

Attatchments file type is .bmp (big-size data), but 3D-CAD 5view image from 163 page "Dengeki Hobby March 2011"!

YF-29.bmp

Edited by yui1107

Ok, this is getting utterly ridiculous.. they added MORE ENGINES. It's like they tacked a tornado pack onto the already tornado-ish design. "Hey, I put some more engines on your engines, so you can go faster while you're going faster!" dry.gif

This is approaching Tim Taylor levels. Next, it's going to be dual wielding plasma rifles, and strapping a pair of reaction missiles to each of the four engine pods.

How can they add the new missile pods? There is not enough room for that on the wing tips?

I think extra engines are sliding over the wings to get closer to the body then you can add the missile pods?

Or extra wing parts with missiles are added(becoming ridiculously long wings)?

Edited by charger69

How can they add the new missile pods? There is not enough room for that on the wing tips?

The main wings are retracted (as we already knew they could do), and new wing extensions slipped over the main wing tips that are longer and have extra engines.

And yes, I think they're engine pods. The have flat rear ends that look like nozzles and the tip is concave on the underside, just like the other mid wing engines turned on their side.

Also they've got fins on them. This looks ridiculous.

Now that's just mean. At least that thing was done by a fan out of love for a show; not an evil corporation trying to make a quick buck off gullible fanboys.

:lol:

But they have the same design philosophy: take stuff from other designs, toss them in a hat, take them out and tape it together.

Ok, this is getting utterly ridiculous.. they added MORE ENGINES. It's like they tacked a tornado pack onto the already tornado-ish design. "Hey, I put some more engines on your engines, so you can go faster while you're going faster!" dry.gif

This is approaching Tim Taylor levels. Next, it's going to be dual wielding plasma rifles, and strapping a pair of reaction missiles to each of the four engine pods.

But then we're talking about an animeworld that says strapping a SRBM on the top and bottom of an aircraft is a good idea. VF-11B Booster :rolleyes:

That extra engine or missile pod (whatever it is) definitely features wing-tip extensions which look like they connect to and also partially cover the mid-wing engine nacelles. Note the wingtip extensions are white in that Gerwalk pic and the white part also now covers part of the mid-wing engine nacelles, which are normally all red.

Graham

Looks to me like Super Parts/FAST packs for the YF-29. So... I don't think they're thermonuclear turbine engines per se, but a more "traditional" rocket booster to compensate for the extra mass of the Super Parts themselves. It's unclear if they have built in armaments, but it's nice to see more atmospheric-use Super Parts.

Looks to me like Super Parts/FAST packs for the YF-29. So... I don't think they're thermonuclear turbine engines per se, but a more "traditional" rocket booster to compensate for the extra mass of the Super Parts themselves. It's unclear if they have built in armaments, but it's nice to see more atmospheric-use Super Parts.

They could just be extra fuel tanks for space use. The bare YF-29 (and the VF-25 for that matter)don't seem to have much space for fuel and with 4 engines on the YF-29, it's gonna be a thirsty bird.

Graham

They could just be extra fuel tanks for space use. The bare YF-29 (and the VF-25 for that matter)don't seem to have much space for fuel and with 4 engines on the YF-29, it's gonna be a thirsty bird.

Graham

True. If memory serves, the Tornado Pack had optional space-use under-wing fuel pods that also doubled as Itano-Circus missile pods.

Excaliber (VF-19); Caliburn (VF-19EF); Nothung (VF-19ACTIVE); Durandal (YF-29)

Are there named variants of other valkyries that I should be aware of? Until reading this thread, the only VF-19s I knew of were the A, F, S, P, and Fire Valkyrie.

Are there named variants of other valkyries that I should be aware of? Until reading this thread, the only VF-19s I knew of were the A, F, S, P, and Fire Valkyrie.

Apparently there are a bunch of new VF-19 variants now thanks to the Master file book. You should ask Sketchley about it, since he's actually working on translating the book.