YF-29 (canon, in-series info)

sketchley

It's not, it just likes to pretend it is. The Minovsky Particle is supposed to be an as yet undiscovered elementary particle which has near-zero rest mass and can have either a positive or negative charge (which is so strong that it can disrupt all forms of EM radiation to some degree, and acts as a continuous EMP that fries unshielded electronics). The problem is that no such particle exists according to the standard Model of particle physics.

Now because the Standard Model is only a provisional theory (and therefor an incomplete one) there's room for more elementary particles to exist (things like Gravitons, and the X and Y bosons). That said, no proposed elementary particle has ever been described to behave like the Minovsky particle and there's no evidence that such a particle would ever exist.

So particle physics doesn't say that the Minovsky particle CAN'T exist, but nothing supports the possibility that it does exist.

Or you could just say it's the physics equivalent of pig Latin; it looks like Latin, sounds like Latin, but it ain't Latin. It's just fancy gibberish.

Ok, so Minovsky particles is way too good to be real. And thus Gundam tech is bad, unlike Macross. Everything is explainable with overtechnology and singing...which in turn aren't scientifically explainable at all.

Never liked Macross tech.

Ok, screw that. I like Macross tech too. And Gundam. And sakuradyte-centric Code Geass tech. Or anything like that. No offense, but I think Graham's dislike of Gundam tech is something personal.

Super Dimension:

Power supply for large vessels

Makes beam weapons work

Gives Macross flying ability

Fold-Wave Tracking

Superluminal communication

Plus, it lets you listen to Ranka's song, mmkay?

Fold Quartz boosts at least some of those Super-Dimension things. I still feel my plot science call is valid. (And, at least the Minovsky Particle is described in real physics <_< )

You don't read the translations nor Macross Compendium much, do you?

The super dimension is like sub-space in Star Trek. It allows only the superluminal communication much like Star Trek's sub-space communication. The super dimension is also where vessels fold into when travelling via fold (fold-in, travel, fold-out).

Power supplies for large vessels are invariable heat-piles or thermonuclear reaction engines.

Anti-gravity movement comes from the gravity control system, powered by the heat-pile and/or thermonuclear reaction engines. So too are the Beam weapons.

It's unclear what allows fold-wave tracking, but it's not the Super Dimension, as the Super Dimension is a dimension that vessels travel into/through/out of.

Now, if you are going to harp on any element of Macross for being a minovski particle in disguise, a better target would be Fold Quartz. It's the plot device de jour that allows things like Dimension Eaters, Dimension Beam Guns, ISC, super fold boosters, near instantaneous galaxy-wide communication, and I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me on this one as I forgot the source, the ability to hear Ranka. ;)

Edited by sketchley

Thought this thread was about the YF-29???

BTW, some new scans to dissect courtesy of CyberGundam.

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergundam/article?mid=65060

Well, we're discussing whether the handwavium that the YF-29 runs on is better or worse than the Handwavium that other giant robots run on, so it's tangentially related ^_^

You don't read the translations nor Macross Compendium much, do you?

The super dimension is like sub-space in Star Trek. It allows only the superluminal communication much like Star Trek's sub-space communication. The super dimension is also where vessels fold into when travelling via fold (fold-in, travel, fold-out).

Power supplies for large vessels are invariable heat-piles or thermonuclear reaction engines.

Anti-gravity movement comes from the gravity control system, powered by the heat-pile and/or thermonuclear reaction engines. So too are the Beam weapons.

It's unclear what allows fold-wave tracking, but it's not the Super Dimension, as the Super Dimension is a dimension that vessels travel into/through/out of.

Now, if you are going to harp on any element of Macross for being a minovski particle in disguise, a better target would be Fold Quartz. It's the plot device de jour that allows things like Dimension Eaters, Dimension Beam Guns, ISC, super fold boosters, near instantaneous galaxy-wide communication, and I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me on this one as I forgot the source, the ability to hear Ranka. ;)

The super dimension, as I recall it is, is where fold waves take you, hence all of that stuff I said, and beam weapon was a blanket term I hoped you'd understand to mean the Super Dimension Energy Cannons that all Macross-class seem to carry. :rolleyes:

And, my whole original point was that the Fold Quartz was the M-particle! How you seemed to skirt around that until reaching that on your own, I will never know. :mellow:

And, while I didn't mean to imply particles like the M-particle exist, or even could, I did mean the way they cause all that crazy stuff to happen is at least given some substance. Magnets and all that jazz. (Mmm, I-field lattice)

Why is it you all feel Macross handwavium is superior to Gundam handwavium? It's like the anti-Gundam thing is a personal vendetta a lot of MW members carry. Can't we just love 'em both because they're both about giant robots and bloody destruction? :lol:

I don't like the forward swept wings. Maybe they should just get rid of the wings entirely, replacing them with the drives from the SAP. Do they really need them for flight anyway? We're talking about the future here.

But then, it wouldn't identify as a fighter plane, but as some weird space fighter, and I think that would alienate quite a bit of the fanbase. (Who like their transforming giant robot fighter jets, not transforming giant robot zigs... For great justice)

I used to like Gundam... before 00

Now I just worry that in the spirit of escalation Kawamori and crew are gonna try and one-up 00's epic silliness. The -29's space bells and space whistles lend some credence to this theory.

Incredible... so none of the other alternate universe Gundams ruined it for you?

gf13-066no.jpg

I couldn't find any info on this ... but has the name of the YF-29 been revealed? In the pic CF18 posted today for the model kit, there's mention of a Diurandal (sp?) Valkyrie

Yes, a few days ago. We've been discussing it in the YF-29 toy thread. It's Durendal or Durandal, named after the legendary mythical French sword.

Kawamori seems to have a mythical sword thing going at the moment.

Graham

but this one doesn't have forward swept wings. :unsure:

It looks like something in-between a double delta wing and forward swept wings IMO. I mean when the wing tips are folded it looks like a double delta wing and fsw when unfolded...

Edited by charger69

Ahh, but it is a sword. I'm pretty sure there's a magical version of it in a myth or legend somewhere. Maybe one of the Atlantic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea pirate legends. I know of some mythical engine mounts on a Cutlass S, but that's no longer talking about a sword.

Edited by sketchley