Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Do you know guys whether this is the actual toy or a painted prototype?

I'm kind of leaning towards painted prototype. In the second picture the surfaces look like they have a bit of texture to them, like it's paint with a bit or orange peel or paint applied over a rough surface.

The g mode has a big back but its still not worse than yf-19 and vf-19 gerwalk mode with wings under its arms.

I want one mostly for bot mode.

I don't know... The big back does bother me quite a bit more than the under-arm wings. But then again, I myself adore the VF-19 Gerwalk mode... Here's hoping it actually locks.

I usually don't post much as you can probably tell, but I haven't seen this info posted yet so I'll post. I'm in the land of the Rising Sun now and came across this hobby mag at Haruya (Japanese Book store). I think you'll be pleased that a lot of fixes and improvements were made to the YF-29 mechanics probably (hopefully) fixing a lot of problems in the VF-25 and the few in the VF-27. Atleast that's what I'm guessing from the pics. Making this valk the ONE to get...sigh....too bad it's coming out 5 days after I leave this place....

anyways here are the posts...(sorry had to take pics...in-laws don't have a scanner.)

post-7265-0-62969700-1307701429_thumb.jpg

post-7265-0-84332700-1307701459_thumb.jpg

post-7265-0-55953200-1307701485_thumb.jpg

I don't think the outer feet were ever metal to begin with, but I don't have my VF-25's around to check. From what I remember, they were plastic shells with metal interiors.

yeah, my bad, only the "soles" are die-cast... same on the VF-27.

i'm curious about what the mag says about the rest of the improvements...

I might buy this, but only if the reviews are good. I might even wait a bit until user reports start flooding in also.

I have skipped the whole Chogokin DX Frontier series from bandai, because I really wanted to wait another 20 years until yammy gets the license and the negative reports from users.

Edited by Loop

I don't know, I'm kinda of hoping that there was some sort of mis-transformation there or something. The legs look like they are hanging kind of low leaving a bit of a gap between them and the new guns that should be resting flush on the tops of the legs.

Chris

I don't know, I'm kinda of hoping that there was some sort of mis-transformation there or something. The legs look like they are hanging kind of low leaving a bit of a gap between them and the new guns that should be resting flush on the tops of the legs.

Chris

While I don't think I like the gap, I guess it's necessary to get enough room for the feet to move up and down –and even to open- in fighter mode.

It does look like Bandai has addressed all the shortcoming of the DX 25. And now they're just around 30% of the molds away from a V.2 VF-25. I mean, all the mechanisms seem to be ok, they only have to change the head, chest plate, back plate, wings, thigh kittle and outer side of the lower legs and fins. Come on, Bandai, just do it!

While I don't think I like the gap, I guess it's necessary to get enough room for the feet to move up and down –and even to open- in fighter mode.

It does look like Bandai has addressed all the shortcoming of the DX 25. And now they're just around 30% of the molds away from a V.2 VF-25. I mean, all the mechanisms seem to be ok, they only have to change the head, chest plate, back plate, wings, thigh kittle and outer side of the lower legs and fins. Come on, Bandai, just do it!

I have both a 1/100 25 and 29 and i'd say they share maybe 30% of the mold, the legs and the nosecone perhaps.

Chris

Looks definitely like they just don't know how to transform it. Check the bottom middle picture on the second page, the one showing the feet. You can see both the tab and slot that should be holding the legs up, they just didn't connect them.

I have this on pre-order but something bothers me. Whether from Bandai or Yamato, Valks are mass produced. I want to get the Durandal and Yf-19 Kai but at 250 a pop plus shipping this has started getting out of control. Months later these prices drop like stone. Reason I am in conflict is because I have some spare $$ aside to get the Fewture Getters. Right now I only have enough to get Getter 2 and 3. I really like these collectibles but I also really like the Durandal and Kai! I can understand paying 300 for fewture Ex Chogokin as they are not mass produced but especially with Bandai having such market share why would their valks would be so expensive. I cant get both. I am not sure if the Kai and Durandal will still be available later and how much they would either depreciate or appreciate but I am leaning towards the Fewture getters. Its too bad that after so much exposure of Macross that the toys would still have such an expensive asking price....

Edited by slaginpit

you're getting ripped off if you're paying 250$ + shipping for this. The MSRP is 17000 yen, around 211 dollars but places like ami ami had their preorder up for 12320 yen or 150 bucks.

It's still a lot of money but part of it is due to the weak dollar and strong yen but part of it is just where the collectible toy market is going in general. MP Transformers are hitting this price point and those are like to sell an order of magnitude more units than any Macross product.

you're getting ripped off if you're paying 250$ + shipping for this. The MSRP is 17000 yen, around 211 dollars but places like ami ami had their preorder up for 12320 yen or 150 bucks.

It's still a lot of money but part of it is due to the weak dollar and strong yen but part of it is just where the collectible toy market is going in general. MP Transformers are hitting this price point and those are like to sell an order of magnitude more units than any Macross product.

I think I am going to start shopping at Ami Ami, you guys seem to think they are the best source for valks. The kai I am looking at was priced on ebay and IIRC there were only three. I think they are rare. If I can find the Durandal for 150 plus shipping that's in my budget and I can still get getters 2 and 3.

Hello,

I haven't posted for a while, but Macross is always on my mind and in my heart. I pre-ordered the YF-29 when it first became available and I'm excited about it. ^_^

September of this year will be the (10) year anniversary of when I joined MW, although I was a visitor for (10) months prior. :lol: Regards to all, and hope to make it another (10) years after that.

Best wishes,

Christopher B))

Looks definitely like they just don't know how to transform it. Check the bottom middle picture on the second page, the one showing the feet. You can see both the tab and slot that should be holding the legs up, they just didn't connect them.

I think I see what you are refering to. I hope you are right. :)

Chris

I'm not sure. I think the tabs are disconnected just to let enough room to open the feet –so we can see some detail inside that wasn't included in the DX 25. The picture on the first page shows the tabs correctly connected and the gaps are there, which I think are necessary to let the nozzles move up and down as almost all the VFs do.

Unfortunately, there's not much information around for any fair comparison. But look at this image: I think the gaps are a bit visible there or maybe not :wacko:

post-12283-0-66558000-1307990575_thumb.jpg

On the other side, I wonder why Bandai would do everything right this time and not let us the chance of complaining at least a bit… :(

I'm not sure. I think the tabs are disconnected just to let enough room to open the feet –so we can see some detail inside that wasn't included in the DX 25. The picture on the first page shows the tabs correctly connected and the gaps are there, which I think are necessary to let the nozzles move up and down as almost all the VFs do.

Don't think that's the case, considering the previous set of pics shows them doing the same thing without the legs dropped at all. The unpainted prototype has the legs mounted much higher, with one of the feet still opened.

post-907-0-52834900-1307994961_thumb.jpg

Really.. I kind of don't trust any of the pictures in that preview. Looking closely at it, they were very sloppy with the transformation as a whole. The largest view of fighter mode looks like it has the legs dropped, because the knee joints aren't fully lined up, as if they forgot to collapse an extending knee joint. What's more, the whole thing looks sloppily aligned, as if they were having trouble lining up the arm mechanisms. They almost look like they had trouble getting the wings level too, which could be related to not lining up the leg tabs.

I don't think I'd worry about the legs not sitting high enough. They might not go as high as the VF-25's should have, but I think that's part of the changes needed to add that turret.

Don't think that's the case, considering the previous set of pics shows them doing the same thing without the legs dropped at all. The unpainted prototype has the legs mounted much higher, with one of the feet still opened.

Yeah, I had seen that pic of the unpainted prototype, but I think that only the closed feet is mounted higher and the angle of the take keep us from seeing the plane is angled up a bit on the left side. I'm guessing that because the position of the arm shield is about the same in relation to the left leg if you compare it with the second pic.

But then, I don't know, probably nobody is right or wrong. The release date is so close that I think I'll wait for the reviews. Too many months of speculation and guessing!!!