Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

I'm sure my monitor is fine, I'm a marketing manager/graphic artist by trade B))

All I know is that when I compare it to the Macross kite at the top left of these forums, the VF-29 looks a little off when it comes to what's truly red. Even if it was blood red and white I still would have to paint it. I'm always biased to the more realistic paint schemes like the Moon Shooters VF-22 in my avatar.

But I'm with you on seeing about the quality of this one first. I had the movie version Alto custom and it was disappointing. The head wouldn't even stay up in batt mode.

My wife has a BFA in Visual Communications/Graphic Design and is a senior designer/art director, and she can verify, it's definitely not pink. If you're comparing to the kite on top of the website, that's red, too, with some of the kite a little lighter and darker in various areas. Open up the image in photoshop and take samples of the red, and you'll see that most samples have both the magenta and yellow settings between 85-95%.

In regards to the other variant colors of the 29, a grey, dark grey version would be well worth the money, as long as it's not as glossy as the plastic has been on previous Macross Valkyrie products by Bandai. Just kills the "cool" effect of the toy in my opinion, with it super shiny.

Edited by Jasonc

It kills me that so many MWers have grown to like their toys dull. Models are dull and realistic. Toys are shiny. Imagine if Optimus Prime were dull gray and black... (instead of purple* and pink*) he'd be a lame Ultra Magnus knock-off.

* as per Low_Alt's vision

Can someone spell out for me what's different about the hip and the knife in those photos? I don't have my DX-25 out so I can't immediately see what improvements have been made.

EDIT - "kills" is waayyyy too strong a word.

Edited by jenius

It kills me that so many MWers have grown to like their toys dull. Models are dull and realistic. Toys are shiny. Imagine if Optimus Prime were dull gray and black... (instead of purple* and pink*) he'd be a lame Ultra Magnus knock-off.

I see what you're getting at, but I treat my valks like transformable models for display and rarely zoom them around. This is great because I have neither the skill nor time to build models. That being said I still preordered this valk as it seems pretty darn interesting, and I liked it in the movie.

Edited by raptormesh

LOL. People are still debating if it is red or pink? It's red. RED! There are various shades of red, just like any other color, but in the end, it is red. Collectors really get me. Honestly, it's the first hero valk from MF that we've received that seems to be what the original VF-25s should have been. Sure, a few things are off, but I for one am very excited to get this puppy.

Edited by pud333

* as per Low_Alt's vision

Can someone spell out for me what's different about the hip and the knife in those photos? I don't have my DX-25 out so I can't immediately see what improvements have been made.

EDIT - "kills" is waayyyy too strong a word.

:rolleyes: I don't agree that "models are dull and toys are shiny". It depends on the mech, not whether it's a toy or model.

I like my Mazinger shiny and valks mat.

Yeah, I have to agree. I think for Prime, he's a truck, and trucks are meant to haul, yes, but also have shine when they are cleaned and waxed. Fighter jets, I don't see it working too much on those. There is some dimension of reality that people want in their toys, even if to only look like what they saw on t.v. I don't need them to be ultra realistic to where they compromise the playability, but, well, that's where I come with that.

Imagine if Optimus Prime were dull gray and black...

He'd be a robot in disguise for sure. B)) I never understood why they totally forgot that concept. I know they're toys, but some of the garish colours they brought out during the G2 years... ugh. It's like they were dipped in a vat of Day-Glo and Global Hypercolor mix. And don't get me started on G2 Optimus Prime, with his name emblazoned in huge letters all along the length of the trailer. :rolleyes:

Many people over the years have brought up the "Toy versus model" debate, but let's face the fact that the line has blurred so much over the years that now we don't even bat an eyelid when we see Yamato producing kit forms of their toys.

Nice, they finally made it so the knife stows away in the tip of the shield. I'm relieved about the pilot.

Seems like Bandai finally decided to go all out with this toy. It even seems to fix things that the VF-27 DX didn't address.

Hopefully it won't turn into a floppy mess over time just from being displayed.

I guess this would be the first VF that can do VTOL without leaving fighter mode (such as going to GERWALK)?

I guess this would be the first VF that can do VTOL without leaving fighter mode (such as going to GERWALK)?

the VF-1 could do it... :unsure:

Edited by anime52k8

Nice, they finally made it so the knife stows away in the tip of the shield. I'm relieved about the pilot.

Seems like Bandai finally decided to go all out with this toy. It even seems to fix things that the VF-27 DX didn't address.

Hopefully it won't turn into a floppy mess over time just from being displayed.

That is WINNING on all fronts.

Holy crap!! That looks awesome!! Now I have to wait for a hopeful re-release since it's sold out everywhere.

Chris

bandai really made this valk with more heart & brain this time.

Yeah no kidding. Since i can't read Japanese, I just picture what ever is written at the top of that scan, The portion in Large red print, saying something like....

"DX- YF-29..Look, we didn't phone it in this time!"

or

"DX-YF-29..Now with actual landing gear and pilot!"

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Well even Yamato went through 3 generation of VF-1 to get us 1:60 VF-1 v2. 1:48 was good but missed two seats and had chicken fingers. Even the hi-metal VF-1 can be counted as 3rd gen from Bandai after 1:55 and HCM, plus ideas from Yamato.

Is there a Poster from the Bottom Left of the scan?

Yes. That's most likely the design for it.

It'll be B2 sized just like the first run posters that came with the Tornado and VF-27.

the missile bays is a nice touch also I can see that you can save the knife in the shield like the model kit (vf 25) and confirmed the long and slim landing gear but I really need to know if the pilot is removable and if so it will be a really hard decision between this and the fire :wacko:

Yeah no kidding. Since i can't read Japanese, I just picture what ever is written at the top of that scan, The portion in Large red print, saying something like....

"DX- YF-29..Look, we didn't phone it in this time!"

or

"DX-YF-29..Now with actual landing gear and pilot!"

Chris

more like

"DX Chogokin YF-29, in three months it will be too floppy to stand!"

It's nice to see the landing clear actually clear the giant gun and look like they could function like landing gear should. I hope the pilot is removable and looks like a 1/60 figure. I know the Bandai figs in the cockpits seem to look much smaller. I hope the paint holds up, and I'm not gonna go all out and say that this is the be all/end all to all the fixes, but at least it's a step forward. Hope it's a giant leap forward moreso than a simple step.

Ummm... how?

It doesn't have anything on it that would allow it to do a vertical take off short of at least starting out in half GERWALK.

They show it DYRL. The ventral verniers in fighter mode are strong enough to get the VF-1 off the ground and into GERWALK mode. And if the VF-1 can do it, most likely all subsequent valks can do it as well.