10 Iconic Anime Mecha

EXO

Yeah, like the others have said. Eva doesn't belong. Technically, its an organic being with an exosuit. Its not mechanical.

Taksraven

LOL all you guys saying that EVA is not mecha are funny. Then riddle me this? What genre is the Evangelion series/movie/reboot ... slice of life, echii perhaps :p ?

The fact that it's about an emo teenager who pilots a giant machine is enough to classify it as mecha.

It really doesn't make a difference to me that the machine uses biological tissue rather than hydraulics. Mecha derives from Mechanical, which itself is a subset of Mechanics - the branch of physics that deals with forces acting on materials and objects. Nowhere does it specify that said object had to be organic or non-organic.

If we go by an "organic definition" then pretty much nothing would be mecha as Carbon (the essence of something being Organic) is present in abundant quantities in the alloys used to create an advanced mech.

When I took a massive dump this morning and think about all the forces that come into play... yea that's mecha too, if animated.

Edited by Ghost Train

LOL all you guys saying that EVA is not mecha are funny. Then riddle me this? What genre is the Evangelion series/movie/reboot ... slice of life, echii perhaps :p ?

Some are still debating Evangelion isn't mecha? Wow. Talk about fighting a lost war long past... :)

But I gotta say, you may just be onto something big with your "mechanical" idea. Gawd knows there's been many who've made a profit by presenting their customers with what is basically a big dump. I say change your name to G. Train Shyamalan and you've got a legitimate hit on your hands ;):lol:

The fact that it's about an emo teenager who pilots a giant machine is enough to classify it as mecha.

It really doesn't make a difference to me that the machine uses biological tissue rather than hydraulics. Mecha derives from Mechanical, which itself is a subset of Mechanics - the branch of physics that deals with forces acting on materials and objects. Nowhere does it specify that said object had to be organic or non-organic.

If we go by an "organic definition" then pretty much nothing would be mecha as Carbon (the essence of something being Organic) is present in abundant quantities in the alloys used to create an advanced mech.

When I took a massive dump this morning and think about all the forces that come into play... yea that's mecha too, if animated.

If an eva is mecha than so is Frankenstein's monster.

Agreed. I think that we should collectively take a step back from promoting our personal favourites and major influences, and think about the influence that the mecha on the list had on latter productions.

Eva has had, and continues to make a large influence.

Now, where is Tetsuwan Atom (aka Astro Boy)?

I agree that Eva and TFs are not mecha. But how nerdy can you get? Do you expect a website to title the article "Most Iconic Robotish Cartoon from Japan?" or to leave Evangelion out of a list of iconic giant robots?

What are we supposed to argue about then? Politics? I don't think so..... :p :P

To be fair I guess, most of us just really get off on the process of debating and arguing rather than what the actual argument is about. See below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

What are we supposed to argue about then? Politics? I don't think so..... :p :P

To be fair I guess, most of us just really get off on the process of debating and arguing rather than what the actual argument is about. See below...

Taksraven

lol... I forgot that it's a prerequisite to make any thread an argument on the interweb.

Exclusion of Shirow is ...kinda shocking.

indeed. perhaps they found most of the shirow mecha on the small side. tachikomas FTW!

also no Voltes V. synonymous to giant robo in my part of the world, well at least for my generation. it predates voltron but i guess getter robo was meant to represent it on the list.

and how about Daimos? possibly the first transforming but non-combining giant robot? if not for that, perhaps the pioneer of cheesy romantic dialogue in anime. Erikaaaaa! Richard! Erikaaaaa!

undoubtedly the inspiration for the Titanic scriptwriters. Rose! Jack! You're so stupid Rose! Jack!

Naaah! that just a robot like TFs. :lol:

Ah, but it's more than Transformers. For starters, it came first and has had more of a lasting impact. Lastly, Testuwan is much cooler looking, and he's got a bit more realistic anime magic working for him. ^_^

Honestly I agree with the list, only because it talks about the ICONIC mecha of anime, mostly for US audiences. Now as someone who doesn't know much about the others you guys have mentioned I do know about all the mechs listed. With the exception of Gunbuster I believe if you ask most ppl that watch anime what they feel are iconic mechs this entire list will be mentioned. Now does that mean that everything on the list is techinically a mech? No but it does mean if I asked someone who has a decent knowledge on anime on the street what mech is they will probably list the things here. I know a ton of people that watch anime and they always talk about these when talking about mechs. I am glad the Gunbuster did make the list though.

Edited by kanedaestes

if that article is correct, kawamori co-designed optimus prime?

Yeah, it suprised me when I found out on this site that Kowamori did the character designs for Convoy/Optimus Prime.

I classify both Golion/Lion Voltron and Dairugger 15/Vehicle Voltron as mecha, mainly because both require pilots to operate them.

i think the list is good. I was surprised to see an Eva Unit. I love evengelion but I never considered the thing to be a pure mecha but with an open mind I guess you can accept it.

The list should have been longer. 20 best cause Patlabor is up there along with ATV. I think GaoGaiGar and Dancouga should had been in place of an eva and transformers.

But he didn't.

Didn't you read this and this?

(And it's "Kawamori," by the way, not "Kowamori.")

Shhh. Don't point out Wanzers many failings, you will annoy Seto.....

If it has metallic parts and it requires a pilot, then its a mecha. In my books anyway.

That said, Eva's in, Frank (argento soma) isn't.

So you would classify the Motorcycle Armour from Mospeada as mecha?? What about a regular suit of medieval armour. By your definition, thats mecha too...

Taksraven

Shhh. Don't point out Wanzers many failings, you will annoy Seto.....

So you would classify the Motorcycle Armour from Mospeada as mecha?? What about a regular suit of medieval armour. By your definition, thats mecha too...

Taksraven

The argument can definitely be made that knights in medieval armor were the mecha of their day.

Edited by Ghost Train